Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-14-18, 07:24 AM   #13651
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2: It was a Dark and Stormy Night

Why is Trump saluting an officer of a hostile foreign power?

Old 06-14-18, 07:37 AM   #13652
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Why is Trump saluting an officer of a hostile foreign power?

My guess is it’s because he’s a fucking idiot.
Old 06-14-18, 07:40 AM   #13653
DVD Talk Legend

General confusion?

Old 06-14-18, 07:40 AM   #13654
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Are we sure he was saluting and not just pulling back really quick while saying, "Too slow!"
Old 06-14-18, 07:50 AM   #13655
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
General confusion?

Confused?
Doesn't matter, he still saluted a fucking NK general.

trump mistakenly launches nuclear missiles, but it's okay because he was confused.

Yet another case of something that would've been treasonous to the Right if president blackety black had done it.
Old 06-14-18, 07:58 AM   #13656
DVD Talk Hero

Putin got exactly what what Putin wanted....

And all trump got in exchange was a pathetic photo-op.
Old 06-14-18, 08:05 AM   #13657

On the one hand, this is appalling and somewhat terrifying.

On the other hand,

Trump White House advertises at a Hill job fair amid staff exodus

"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)

Last edited by wendersfan; 06-14-18 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-14-18, 08:06 AM   #13658
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
I’m not a Trump supporter, but allow me to play devils advocate for the next 4-6 years. Someone needs too, echo chamber!
Is it devil's advocate to notice that no one was willing to even acknowledge that Trump negotiated the return of 5300 remains during this agreement? I wouldn't have even known after reading all of this "Kim gave up nothing! Trump is a loser!" posts until you guys started on this parents thing.

Trump tweets "looking forwards to the jobs numbers" or whatever, and that's the top story. He tweets, "lowest black unemployment on record" and it's ignored, because, oops, a boast that wasn't a lie, that rarity in itself is almost worth discussion.

Yes, Trump lies, exaggerates, over-boasts, misspeaks, etc, almost continuously. And the forum and much of the press love to spend their entire day discussing it, and treating each "lie" as equally important. "Trump said it was the lowest Emmy ratings ever, what a liar! Ha Ha, it was 0.1 higher than the previous year! LIAR!".

The soldier remains is another one fits in that category. Whether it was through parents, spouses, siblings, children, Veteran organizations, etc, Trump was told that this was an important issue to discuss during the de-nuclearization summit. But, we can't mention it as an accomplishment, because it would make you a nazi bigot Trump lover.

If no one can acknowledge any accomplishments (and yes lowest black unemployment or the removal of remains are recent examples), then yes, the issue is with you and your blind hatred/hysteria over Trump and his administration.

I can understand debating the pros/cons of lower Corporate tax cuts, or drilling in the oceans, border wall, etc, as those are very political issues that have liberal/conservative takes to them. But trying to spin removing the remains of dead soldiers by focusing only on Trump's odd statement? Focusing on the jobs tweet rather than the jobs numbers?

I've said before, I've accepted the fact that not suffering from Trump hysteria makes me a Trump supporter in this forum.
Old 06-14-18, 08:08 AM   #13659
DVD Talk Hero

Did anyone here say that returning the remains wasn’t a good thing?
Old 06-14-18, 08:12 AM   #13660
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
But, we can't mention it as an accomplishment, because it would make you a nazi bigot Trump lover.

No one is decrying or diminishing the return of these remains.
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 06-14-18, 08:12 AM   #13661
Enormous Genitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Confused?
Doesn't matter, he still saluted a fucking NK general.
I seem to recall the Republicans becoming enraged when Obama bowed to a Saudi King. Tan suit! Mustard!
Old 06-14-18, 08:18 AM   #13662

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Did anyone here say that returning the remains wasn’t a good thing?
Show me the link to one post where someone here mentioned it as an accomplishment of this summit.

I only have to look back one post to find this
Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
And all trump got in exchange was a pathetic photo-op.
Old 06-14-18, 08:21 AM   #13663

Quote:
I seem to recall the Republicans becoming enraged when Obama bowed to a Saudi King. Tan suit! Mustard!
Yes, you and Fox News are both hypocrites.
Old 06-14-18, 08:27 AM   #13664
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Show me the link to one post where someone here mentioned it as an accomplishment of this summit.

I only have to look back one post to find this
Is praise a requirement? Did Trump only do it for the “likes”? If Trump got the remains back but said it was because Harvey the Leprechaun who lives in his necktie talked the North Koreans into it, should we ignore that because of the outcome?

He made up fictional people as justification for his “benevolent”’accomplishment. And he made those people up because he’s a) a liar b) an idiot and c) thought it made him look good. But that doesn’t matter because of the outcome? Does a deed have to miss some threshold of goodness before it’s permissible to point out his lies?
Old 06-14-18, 08:27 AM   #13665
Enormous Genitals

Quote:
Yes, you and Fox News are both hypocrites.
Keep trying. I'm not outraged over Trump's salute (he has no fucking idea what "protocol" means in foreign diplomacy), I'm wondering where the Republican outrage is.
Old 06-14-18, 08:30 AM   #13666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Is praise a requirement? Did Trump only do it for the “likes”? If Trump got the remains back but said it was because Harvey the Leprechaun who lives in his necktie talked the North Koreans into it, should we ignore that because of the outcome?

He made up fictional people as justification for his “benevolent”’accomplishment. And he made those people up because he’s a) a liar b) an idiot and c) thought it made him look good. But that doesn’t matter because of the outcome? Does a deed have to miss some threshold of goodness before it’s permissible to point out his lies?
okay, so you couldn't find any posts.
Old 06-14-18, 08:33 AM   #13667

Quote:
Keep trying. I'm not outraged over Trump's salute (he has no fucking idea what "protocol" means in foreign diplomacy), I'm wondering where the Republican outrage is.
Trump is a buffoon with no skills as a diplomat. His team should have prepped him on the protocol, but I imagine that even if they did, he wouldn't remember what to do anyway. It's part of his apparent charm to his supporters I guess.

But feel free to think that hating Fox News for reporting every little Obama misstep, but doing the same to Trump doesn't make everyone here a hypocrite for pointing it out every day. Mustard!
Old 06-14-18, 08:34 AM   #13668
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quote:
Okay, so he misspoke and meant family members not parents. But we all agree that this one of those non-concessions that happened during the summit? Who cares about the remains of 5300 soldiers anyway?
Why do you defend every time Trump lies by saying he "misspoke"? How many times is this asshole going to "misspeak"?
Old 06-14-18, 08:38 AM   #13669

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Why do you defend every time Trump lies by saying he "misspoke"? How many times is this asshole going to "misspeak"?
What does Trump gain by saying Parents instead of Families? If it's nothing, it's a misspeak. What does he gain for saying he has the biggest crowds? If it's nothing, perhaps it's just a boast. Can you see that categorizing everything as a "lie" isn't useful for someone like Trump? For whatever reason, Trump continuously lies/exaggerates/misspeaks. Harping on the little ones makes you look a little desperate.
Old 06-14-18, 08:42 AM   #13670

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
Why do you defend every time Trump lies by saying he "misspoke"?
To make it seem as though the problem isn't that the President constantly lies about everything, but that people want to discuss his lies and the repercussions of having a leader who will lie about any topic?
Old 06-14-18, 08:43 AM   #13671
DVD Talk Hero

Since we're discussing the remains and not the fact that the President is a pathological liar, who lies even when the truth would serve, let me point out:

Quote:
For years, teams of American researchers and scientists, with the help of North Koreans, uncovered and returned the remains of US troops found in North and South Korea.

Between 1996 and 2005, 33 recovery operations were conducted in North Korea and 200 sets of remains were returned. And the US government paid compensation to North Koreans involved in the relief effort, $15m (£11m) according to the Congressional Research Service.

Another six sets of remains were returned in a one-off operation in 2007.

But joint operations have stalled for more than a decade because the US government said it could not guarantee the safety of the investigators.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-44455104

Is resumption of cooperation a good thing? Sure (though I'll believe it when it happens, not when some vague promise is made). But let's not pretend Trump just accomplished some heretofore unimaginable deed.
Old 06-14-18, 08:49 AM   #13672
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
okay, so you couldn't find any posts.
I didn’t look for posts.

Do you think it’s okay for Trump to lie to us as long as the outcome is good? That people shouldn’t point out the President can’t do basic math?
Old 06-14-18, 08:52 AM   #13673

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Since we're discussing the remains and not the fact that the President is a pathological liar, who lies even when the truth would serve, let me point out:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-44455104

Is resumption of cooperation a good thing? Sure (though I'll believe it when it happens, not when some vague promise is made). But let's not pretend Trump just accomplished some heretofore unimaginable deed.
Well can you imagine any other president aside for Bush Jr saluting a foreign general? That is an unimaginable deed in my mind...
Old 06-14-18, 08:53 AM   #13674

On the one hand, since Trump is completely unlearned in the fields of national security, international relations, diplomacy, politics, and economics, his tendency to 'throw out the playbook' and try the unorthodox could conceivably lead to peace on the Korean peninsula. And that would be wonderful. But a much more likely scenario is that Trump is lending legitimacy to an oppressive dictator, is ceding control of the Pacific Rim to China, and, by sowing anxiety and mistrust among our allies like Japan and South Korea, is creating the possibility of a nuclear arms race in the area.
"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 06-14-18, 09:03 AM   #13675
DVD Talk Hero

On the one hand, since I am completely unlearned in the fields of architecture, carpentry, masonry, electrical work, and plumbing, my tendency to 'throw out the playbook' and try the unorthodox could conceivably lead to me building an amazing house. And that would be wonderful. But a much more likely scenario is that the house I'm building will burn down and collapse, killing anyone who happens to be in it at the time.