Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 11-08-18, 07:51 AM
  #23151  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,047
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Acosta is the poster child for why Trump’s attacks on the media stick.
No Moronic Trump supporters who believe everything their messiah says is the reason attacks on the media stick (with Trump supporters). Acosta could be Edward R. Murrow asking tough questions to Trump and Trump would still berate him and Trump supporters would still demonize him.
cungar is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 08:03 AM
  #23152  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,770
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
No Moronic Trump supporters who believe everything their messiah says is the reason attacks on the media stick (with Trump supporters). Acosta could be Edward R. Murrow asking tough questions to Trump and Trump would still berate him and Trump supporters would still demonize him.
Agreed. Acosta is doing his job 100%. The President should have the ability to not blow up/break down when asked tough questions. That's literally his job.
Noonan is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 08:09 AM
  #23153  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
In 2004, would you have imagined that the party of Bush and Cheney would have made a giant leap farther right?
A giant leap to the right of the false war that the Bush admin lies to get us into?

In 2004 I was mostly blind to the true depth of the plight of minorities in this country. I was wrapped in a pillow of white privileged that let me believe that most people in this country get a fair shake and that if things don’t work out for them, it’s mostly because of their own decisions. In short, I was about as educated about this country as the average eighth grader.

Trump was a huge wake up call to white liberals like myself. Trump wasn’t a surprise to most minorities, who have experienced the full brunt of America’s white supremacist underpinnings since this nation was founded with the lie that “all men are created equal” while the men who wrote such things earnestly owned other humans.

The US has always been a white supremacist state, and the GOP has been catering to out and out racists since Nixon’s southern strategy (and that’s not to say they were perfect before that either).

Conversely, the US has rarely been sympathetic to a strong, unified left. Unions were able to make great gains when industrialists were basically running sweat shops, and FDR was able to capitalize on the Great Depression to push a strong social safety net, but by the time WWII was over, the Cold War and the Red Scare decimated the power of the left. JFK was a rabid anti-communist and LBJ got us into the fucking Vietnam War. Republicans worked tirelessly to undermine the power of unions and gut social programs. Bill Clinton was further right than any previous modern Democratic candidate, and paved the way for the explosion of minority incarcerations in this country. Obama continued the forever war of Bush and Cheney, gave the NSA carte blanche to spy on anyone anywhere, and killed American citizens extrajudicially in drone strikes. Clinton and Obama did little more than give lip service to the working class, with the ACA being a love letter to insurance companies instead of the universal healthcare this country so desperately needs.

No one on the mainstream of the left is questioning neoliberalism. It’s just assumed that is the default position of any Democrat. There is no strong, organized leftist opposition to push the Democratic Party significantly leftward. Democratic socialists are as far as we get, and while they may improve material conditions for the working class if they can get anyone to take their proposals seriously, they’re not actively challenging the basic status quo of this country.

So no, I don’t think there’s much danger of the Democratic Party shifting strongly leftward anytime soon, and I do think the GOP will descend even further into fascism.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 08:09 AM
  #23154  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,838
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
C'mon guys, is reading too much to ask?
Et tu slop?

Spoiler:
wishbone is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 08:10 AM
  #23155  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,770
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

LMAO, I had forgotten that this forum allows avatars. I've had them turned off for years.
Noonan is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 08:14 AM
  #23156  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Just called my representative (Jerry Nadler, soon-to-be chairman of the House Judiciary Committee) and senators (Schumer and Gillibrand) to register my opposition to Trump's corrupt attempt to obstruct the Mueller investigation.

There are protests scheduled in most cities for 5pm local time today.
Breakfast with Girls is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 09:50 AM
  #23157  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 19,991
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Spoiler:
That's my gal!
Dan is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 10:00 AM
  #23158  
DVD Talk Hero
 
slop101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 39,692
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Et tu slop?

Spoiler:
It was only a 5 minute difference - I hand't refreshed - Dan's post wasn't there when I posted mine.
slop101 is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 11:32 AM
  #23159  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
gryffinmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ancient City
Posts: 6,538
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Interesting.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fox’s Andrew Napolitano: Trump “has chosen someone who does not qualify under the law to be the Acting Attorney General of the United States.” <a href="https://t.co/gFKQBDy0vg">pic.twitter.com/gFKQBDy0vg</a></p>&mdash; Bobby Lewis (@revrrlewis) <a href="https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1060528476019671041?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 8, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
gryffinmaster is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 11:37 AM
  #23160  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,263
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

B.A. is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 11:38 AM
  #23161  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,308
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
Interesting.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fox’s Andrew Napolitano: Trump “has chosen someone who does not qualify under the law to be the Acting Attorney General of the United States.” <a href="https://t.co/gFKQBDy0vg">pic.twitter.com/gFKQBDy0vg</a></p>&mdash; Bobby Lewis (@revrrlewis) <a href="https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1060528476019671041?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 8, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I love how flustered they all are trying to poke holes in this very simple explanation of what's happened. The idea that the President has lawyers so that must mean he has to know what he's doing is so laughable I can't even see straight.

It reminds me of what happened with Scott Walker - his campaign said they'd do a recount but they couldn't because he lost by more than 1 percent and that was a law he put into place after Jill Stein got a recount. His own campaign didn't realize what he'd done to hose himself.
Draven is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 11:40 AM
  #23162  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,308
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Yep, it's pretty clear (I've been a professional video editor for more than 20 years). Too bad Trump and Co. can just say "fake news" and end the discussion.
Draven is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 11:41 AM
  #23163  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,047
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
Interesting.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fox’s Andrew Napolitano: Trump “has chosen someone who does not qualify under the law to be the Acting Attorney General of the United States.” <a href="https://t.co/gFKQBDy0vg">pic.twitter.com/gFKQBDy0vg</a></p>&mdash; Bobby Lewis (@revrrlewis) <a href="https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1060528476019671041?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 8, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Kilmead looks like someone just took his dolly away
cungar is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 11:43 AM
  #23164  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 19,991
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

One small correction; InfoWars doctored the video. But that the White House is using it as proof is... bad. Really bad.

Dan is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 11:44 AM
  #23165  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 344
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Acosta is the poster child for why Trump’s attacks on the media stick.
Jesus, all he did was ask a relevant question at... GASP... a press conference.

Oh the horror.
albert_m is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 11:47 AM
  #23166  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,308
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by albert_m View Post
Jesus, all he did was ask a relevant question at... GASP... a press conference.

Oh the horror.
And one other thing I've learned in my time in the news business is that trying to yank a microphone away or cover a camera is not only bad form, IIRC, it's technically assault and battery (that's what I was always told would happen if anyone grabbed my camera which I was shooting.).
Draven is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 11:54 AM
  #23167  
DVD Talk Legend
 
cungar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 21,047
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by albert_m View Post
Jesus, all he did was ask a relevant question at... GASP... a press conference.

Oh the horror.
I'm actually amazed how composed the guy acts when Trump berates him. But yeah, he's the problem. Let's keep that narrative going.
cungar is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 12:02 PM
  #23168  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 9,202
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by albert_m View Post
Jesus, all he did was ask a relevant question at... GASP... a press conference.

Oh the horror.
He should have bowed to the emperor and asked "May I...?"
Psi is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 12:04 PM
  #23169  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 41,404
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

How has Trump not called him Jim ACCOSTER yet? Maybe it's too hard of a word for him?
davidh777 is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 12:05 PM
  #23170  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 46,754
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
A giant leap to the right of the false war that the Bush admin lies to get us into?

In 2004 I was mostly blind to the true depth of the plight of minorities in this country. I was wrapped in a pillow of white privileged that let me believe that most people in this country get a fair shake and that if things don’t work out for them, it’s mostly because of their own decisions. In short, I was about as educated about this country as the average eighth grader.

Trump was a huge wake up call to white liberals like myself. Trump wasn’t a surprise to most minorities, who have experienced the full brunt of America’s white supremacist underpinnings since this nation was founded with the lie that “all men are created equal” while the men who wrote such things earnestly owned other humans.

The US has always been a white supremacist state, and the GOP has been catering to out and out racists since Nixon’s southern strategy (and that’s not to say they were perfect before that either).

Conversely, the US has rarely been sympathetic to a strong, unified left. Unions were able to make great gains when industrialists were basically running sweat shops, and FDR was able to capitalize on the Great Depression to push a strong social safety net, but by the time WWII was over, the Cold War and the Red Scare decimated the power of the left. JFK was a rabid anti-communist and LBJ got us into the fucking Vietnam War. Republicans worked tirelessly to undermine the power of unions and gut social programs. Bill Clinton was further right than any previous modern Democratic candidate, and paved the way for the explosion of minority incarcerations in this country. Obama continued the forever war of Bush and Cheney, gave the NSA carte blanche to spy on anyone anywhere, and killed American citizens extrajudicially in drone strikes. Clinton and Obama did little more than give lip service to the working class, with the ACA being a love letter to insurance companies instead of the universal healthcare this country so desperately needs.

No one on the mainstream of the left is questioning neoliberalism. It’s just assumed that is the default position of any Democrat. There is no strong, organized leftist opposition to push the Democratic Party significantly leftward. Democratic socialists are as far as we get, and while they may improve material conditions for the working class if they can get anyone to take their proposals seriously, they’re not actively challenging the basic status quo of this country.

So no, I don’t think there’s much danger of the Democratic Party shifting strongly leftward anytime soon, and I do think the GOP will descend even further into fascism.
inri222 is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 12:08 PM
  #23171  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 46,754
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I'm actually amazed how composed the guy acts when Trump berates him. But yeah, he's the problem. Let's keep that narrative going.
How dare you defend an "Enemy of the People."
inri222 is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 12:13 PM
  #23172  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 31,308
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
How dare you defend an "Enemy of the People."
I mean, if someone murders Acosta and says they did it because the President says he was an Enemy of the People...I'm assuming they wouldn't get off but he's basically painting a target on Acosta's back with that kind of rhetoric.

Words fucking matter - Trump and Co. don't seem to care about that.
Draven is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 12:15 PM
  #23173  
DVD Talk Reviewer
 
Kurt D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 6,708
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I mean, if someone murders Acosta and says they did it because the President says he was an Enemy of the People...I'm assuming they wouldn't get off but he's basically painting a target on Acosta's back with that kind of rhetoric.

Words fucking matter - Trump and Co. don't seem to care about that.
I do hope Acosta has personal security at this point.
Kurt D is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 12:17 PM
  #23174  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: MA
Posts: 11,770
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

SHS must be so proud of herself for being part of a false claim of abuse against a woman.
Noonan is offline  
Old 11-08-18, 12:21 PM
  #23175  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,406
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

SHS sold he soul to the devil when she took the job. It really seems like there is no line she will not cross to defend this dumpster fire president.
jpcamb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.