Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 07-17-18, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
All he's doing is slightly shading in favor of the FBI rather than against them. The rest of the bullshit is still the same. It hardly seems worth correcting.

He also said "I accept our intelligence community's conclusion that Russia's meddling in the 2016 election took place," then added "It could be other people also. A lot of people out there." Which sounds like his typical ad-libbed back-off because he's afraid of actually making a definitive statement.
He obviously adlibbed the bolded part and that must drive his handlers crazy.

I'm sure the handlers were thinking "we're almost clear, getting closer, it is looking good, (the Trump adlib) oh shit".
Old 07-17-18, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Big man changing his words now that his boss isn't sitting next to him.
That's what he does with every world leader, because he's a chickenshit pussy.
Old 07-17-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
"By publicly kowtowing to Putin and throwing his own spies under the bus, while spouting tinfoil conspiracy theories about Hillary, Trump effectively ended his presidency in Helsinki yesterday.

The rest is #details -- & up to Bob Mueller."

Donald Trump Tosses Word-Salad, Ends His Presidency in Helsinki

Much more in the op-ed at the link above.
Fake news! He said why wouldN'T it be Russia. That's what he meant! What, you've never misspoken?
Old 07-17-18, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
He obviously adlibbed the bolded part and that must drive his handlers crazy.

I'm sure the handlers were thinking "we're almost clear, getting closer, it is looking good, (the Trump adlib) oh shit".
Nah, I think the handlers all throw in 5 bucks and pick a section of the script where he'll ad lib. Whoever gets closest gets the cash.

I would, at least.
Old 07-17-18, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FEATHERS22 -and- FEATHERS23 you are cleared for takeoff on runway 2; happy hunting. :-)</p>&mdash; Counterchekist (@counterchekist) <a href="https://twitter.com/counterchekist/status/1019343737955155968?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 17, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Spoiler:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DiVzJvIUYAEsaIV.jpg:large

just a reminder- He posted Feathers 21 48 hours before last Friday's indictments. Not always a certainty they will be made public. Only a handful from F1-F21 are. The rest are still sealed.

The way things are moving though, these could easily be sooner rather than later. Remember what Mark Warner said.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 07-17-18 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-17-18, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Isn't that Kushner's former paper?
yup.
Old 07-17-18, 06:41 PM

Received 256 Likes on 156 Posts

Wow.

What a liar.

Just wow.

Lies, lies, lies.

Wow.
Old 07-17-18, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What percentage of Trump supporters are actually finally thinking they may have hitched their wagon to a trainwreck?
Old 07-17-18, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts

What percentage of Trump supporters are actually finally thinking they may have hitched their wagon to a trainwreck?
None. At least, they shouldn't be surprised. Trump was like this during the election. So I don't think many see this kind of behavior as a bad thing.
Old 07-17-18, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew Draven was going to jump on that one first
Old 07-17-18, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What happens in other cults, like the religious end-of-the-world types when the big event fails to materialize?
Some members peel off and the rest double down.

That's what'll happen with Trump. A slow, steady attrition to a low base of unshakable hardliners.
Old 07-17-18, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And what the fuck was this all about? He actually thinks she chose his visit to review her guards for the first time. How fucking special does he think he is?

CBS News July 17, 2018, 4:15 PM

President Trump claimed Tuesday that during his visit to England, Queen Elizabeth II reviewed her Guard of Honor for the first time in 70 years -- but she's only been queen for 65 years. And as any royal-watcher knows, reviewing the guard is something she's been photographed doing many times over the years.

"We met with the queen, who is absolutely a terrific person, where she reviewed her Honor Guard for the first time in 70 years, they tell me," Mr. Trump said at the White House Tuesday. "We walked in front of the Honor Guard and that was very inspiring to see and be with her. And I think the relationship, I can truly say is a good one. But she was very, very inspiring indeed."
Old 07-17-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Just because we're technically "not at war" with Russia does not mean their meddling in the 2016 was not a hostile act against the United States, and that Trump siding with them about it (I still can't believe I've typed those words) does not constitute treason, even if it doesn't fit the according-to-Hoyle definition.
Sure, it was a hostile act. Look, if he were to funnel state secrets to a foreign government it would be espionage, not treason. Funneling state secrets to a foreign government <em>with whom we're in a declared war</em> is treason. If he were laundering money to ISIS that would be treason. We're at war with ISIS. A US president saying something completely disgraceful in a press conference is not treason—or even criminal. Just disgraceful.

It's not just semantics. Words have meaning. When we devalue the word "treason," it makes the case harder to make if we actually discover those in government commit <em>actual</em> treason.
Old 07-17-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 216 Likes on 131 Posts

I knew Draven was going to jump on that one first
I just can't believe anyone could support Trump before this but not after. It's like supporting Ted Bundy after his first and second murders but not his fifth.
Old 07-17-18, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 308 Likes on 227 Posts

Another day. Another embarrassment. "I misspoke" Seriously? How stupid does he think everyone is? I mean really.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
I know I for one would love to see a list of things Trump specifically should get credit for and why. If we're supposed to praising him for something it shouldn't be hard to state the specific on why he deserves the credit. And of course let's also be consistant with past Presidents have been credit for when things were done.
Big game trophies are legal now, so, yay?

I'm independent and voted both ways many times and have no problem giving a POTUS credit for something they deserve. Trump has done nothing that deserves any credit. Zilch. Nada. He's somehow managed to fuck up damn near everything he touches.

I predict that the next president will win by running on restoring dignity to the office. When Trump goes down in flames, candidates will not see him as someone to emulate.
I agree. Dems need to put up someone with class and dignity.

Of course we had that with Obama and half the country still had a problem with him so what the fuck do we know.

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
Finally, if the Democrats do take back the House and impeachment seems likely, I can totally see some Republicans (possibly in the Senate) agreeing to turn on Trump on the condition the Dems leave Pence alone. I see the Dems taking that as enough of a victory and agreeing to that deal.
Interesting theory. Seems plausible to me. Of course with Democrats in charge Pence might not get much done anyway which makes this proposal kinda fruitless.
Old 07-17-18, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Of course we had that with Obama and half the country still had a problem with him so what the fuck do we know.
Make sure he’s white
Old 07-17-18, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 169 Posts

Yeah, we gotta keep the white in the White House, so no minorities.
Old 07-17-18, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mapasu View Post
Make sure he’s white
Sadly true, and not a woman.
Old 07-17-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls View Post
Sure, it was a hostile act. Look, if he were to funnel state secrets to a foreign government it would be espionage, not treason. Funneling state secrets to a foreign government <em>with whom we're in a declared war</em> is treason. If he were laundering money to ISIS that would be treason. We're at war with ISIS. A US president saying something completely disgraceful in a press conference is not treason—or even criminal. Just disgraceful.

It's not just semantics. Words have meaning. When we devalue the word "treason," it makes the case harder to make if we actually discover those in government commit <em>actual</em> treason.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Good hypo. If FDR had helped Japan plan its war against US in the months before the Dec. 8, 1941 declaration of war had made Japan an “enemy,” that surely would have been treason. Ditto if FDR had done that in plain public view. <a href="https://t.co/UIDpwXLjWf">https://t.co/UIDpwXLjWf</a></p>&mdash; Laurence Tribe (@tribelaw) <a href="https://twitter.com/tribelaw/status/1019302803326537728?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 17, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm gonna keep saying this anytime the subject comes up- I expect the SCOTUS will be involved in definitively clarifying and setting precedent on things that have hitherto been too fantastical to even worry about much less enshrine in the Constitution.
Old 07-17-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls View Post

Thanks for writing what I'm too lazy to.
Old 07-17-18, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I was listening to Mark Levin on the radio and he was discussing this "kerfuffle" with a guest.

McCain apparently said
Originally Posted by Senator McCain
Today’s press conference in Helsinki was one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory. The damage inflicted by President Trump’s naivete, egotism, false equivalence, and sympathy for autocrats is difficult to calculate. But it is clear that the summit in Helsinki was a tragic mistake.
Mark Levin's guest went into this huge history lesson, that the supposedly the mainstream media ignores, about FDR's relationship with Stalin and how he was giving Stalin all these things. The guest said, McCain's comment was wrong because THAT was THEE most disgraceful performance by a US president with a tyrant. The guest was going on and on about this. "Did you know FDR even called Stalin Uncle Joe!?"

Levin came back with, "So McCain is wrong. Will the mainstream media report that? That McCain is wrong."

I think Levin was also focusing on Hillary's servers/emails. Said that Trump hasn't given away any territory to Russia therefore Trump's words don't translate into actions, etc etc. How the Democrats were against the SDI/Star Wars program, were against Reagan's push against the Soviet Union blah blah blah.

Levin also addressed the obvious upcoming accusation that he and his guest were serving as a distraction. No, Levin said, they're just putting things into context.

So yeah, a whole lot of spin going on from all the usual suspects in right wing media. Those particular characters are hopeless.
Don't forget that you had people like Rudy Guilliani calling Putin a real leader when he was invading countries during Obama's term.
Old 07-17-18, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts

And what the fuck was this all about? He actually thinks she chose his visit to review her guards for the first time. How fucking special does he think he is?
Yeah, I don't think she's a fan, as evidenced by this, which can in no way be a coincidence...

Old 07-17-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I was listening to Mark Levin on the radio and he was discussing this "kerfuffle" with a guest.

McCain apparently said

Mark Levin's guest went into this huge history lesson, that the supposedly the mainstream media ignores, about FDR's relationship with Stalin and how he was giving Stalin all these things. The guest said, McCain's comment was wrong because THAT was THEE most disgraceful performance by a US president with a tyrant. The guest was going on and on about this. "Did you know FDR even called Stalin Uncle Joe!?"

Levin came back with, "So McCain is wrong. Will the mainstream media report that? That McCain is wrong."

I think Levin was also focusing on Hillary's servers/emails. Said that Trump hasn't given away any territory to Russia therefore Trump's words don't translate into actions, etc etc. How the Democrats were against the SDI/Star Wars program, were against Reagan's push against the Soviet Union blah blah blah.

Levin also addressed the obvious upcoming accusation that he and his guest were serving as a distraction. No, Levin said, they're just putting things into context.

So yeah, a whole lot of spin going on from all the usual suspects in right wing media. Those particular characters are hopeless.
Don't forget that you had people like Rudy Guilliani calling Putin a real leader when he was invading countries during Obama's term.
McCain said "one of the most disgraceful performances by an American president in memory." And these guys are saying that going back 70 years is their big gotcha? Never mind that McCain said "one of"?
Old 07-17-18, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post

Me as call-in listener: "So just to clarify, your argument is that Trump's press conference was only the <em>second</em> most disgraceful performance by an American president with a tyrant?"
Old 07-17-18, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently Trump authorized the announcement of the indictments last Friday, thinking it would give him a stronger bargaining position against Putin. Assuming that's true, why was he such a feckless lick-spittle in front of him? He's like my daughter who decides she wants to go on the biggest slide and then chickens out once she gets to the top.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ome-pre-summit

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.