Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 07-17-18, 10:28 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

I love seeing the talking points that come out.

I also see that Ari Fleischer has eased up his position a bit

which I'm surprised at .
Old 07-17-18, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, let's not forget infrastructure week! So much infrastructure is being built!!!

We've gone through enough with this clown to know NOTHING he says means a goddamn thing. How many times are we going to believe someone's bullshit before finally giving up and understanding that most, if not all, of the things they say are complete and utter nonsense?
Old 07-17-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But my 401k is doing great!

Old 07-17-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
You have to at least give him credit for disavowing white supremacists.

Old 07-17-18, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post

Haven't heard that one before... You forgot to say "mooslim" too.
Old 07-17-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
Also, I don't think it's fair to pretend as though Democrats worshiped every move Obama made. I openly complained about the auto bailout. A lot. Many people were unhappy with his excessive drone usage and expansion of surveillance powers.

So yes, when something like yesterday's embarrassing performance happens, I would genuinely like to know what supporters think.
Also not ending GITMO and for the most part continuing the military involvement in the Middle East.
Old 07-17-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Spoiler:
God I love the Daily News' headlines. Who can forget this classic:

Old 07-17-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Objectively, Obama was an excellent, respectable leader with a mixed bag of policy decisions on his record.

Objectively, Trump is a terrible, dishonorable leader with some appalling policy decisions that previously seemed unthinkable in modern America.

**and hey, I'm a registered independent who didn't vote for either of them, but was calling for people to have an open mind the day after Trump was elected because maybe it wouldn't be the doomsday that people were predicting. The doomsday people have turned out to be more right than wrong.
Old 07-17-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Also not ending GITMO and for the most part continuing the military involvement in the Middle East.
I also have complaints about Obama, particularly with respect to foreign policy, but he tried to close Gitmo and the Senate shot it down time and again with 90+ vote majorities. There wasn't anything Obama could have done.
Old 07-17-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post

I hate to break it to you but the amount of people with solid 401K plans is very small. Most people I know have a small 401K (because they contribute the bare minimum every week), or have already dipped into for other things. I would say that most of the country will not be able to retire on the 401K alone.
Old 07-17-18, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of Obummer...

Old 07-17-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey Ari you can go stuff your apology where the sun don't shine. Where's Hillary's big apology for Benghazi? For Trump telling the Russians to hack her emails? For the fake private email "scandal"? etc. etc.
Old 07-17-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
I went to college at a very conservative Texas university. We have a rather popular message board which has a politics forum. As you can imagine it's a right-wing cesspool. Almost all liberals, and mainstream conservatives stay away because it's like pounding a nail into your head. I hung out there in 2016 before the election and had lots of discussions with people about how the Russians were interfering, and they didn't believe any of it. I pretty much left it for the last two years but I popped in Friday to see how they were handling the indictments.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that most of the responses were: 1) Obama allowed this to happen, 2) This is a huge gift to Trump because he can shove it in Putin's face and demand extradition of the 12, 3) It was actually Hillary who was in bed with the Russians, not Trump.

Because so many people were going with option #2, I went back yesterday to call them out. Almost nobody took issue with Trump's performance. Now the responses were:
1) I don't believe the Russians had anything to do with it ("show us the servers!"),
2) Obama told the US to "stand down" so this is all his fault and Trump couldn't actually do anything
3) This was great because it finally exposed that CNN/MSNBC is trying to encourage a coup (I can't figure out where this comes from)
4) and the real kicker: "I trust Putin more than I do the dems and MSM"

It was astounding. I probably came a little close to getting banned over there for calling out their stupidity and hypocrisy. I guess you can all take comfort that the Trumpiest of Trump's base openly prefers Russia to liberals, because "Putin isn't trying to destroy my livelihood and family."
It really does baffle me. Dianne Feinstein isn't pointing ICBMs at Houston with the expectation of killing millions of Texans.

Will there be a further pivot to "Xi Jingping may be a communist dictator, but even he's better than those mainstream liberals"?
Old 07-17-18, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
I went to college at a very conservative Texas university. We have a rather popular message board which has a politics forum. As you can imagine it's a right-wing cesspool. Almost all liberals, and mainstream conservatives stay away because it's like pounding a nail into your head. I hung out there in 2016 before the election and had lots of discussions with people about how the Russians were interfering, and they didn't believe any of it. I pretty much left it for the last two years but I popped in Friday to see how they were handling the indictments.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that most of the responses were: 1) Obama allowed this to happen, 2) This is a huge gift to Trump because he can shove it in Putin's face and demand extradition of the 12, 3) It was actually Hillary who was in bed with the Russians, not Trump.

Because so many people were going with option #2, I went back yesterday to call them out. Almost nobody took issue with Trump's performance. Now the responses were:
1) I don't believe the Russians had anything to do with it ("show us the servers!"),
2) Obama told the US to "stand down" so this is all his fault and Trump couldn't actually do anything
3) This was great because it finally exposed that CNN/MSNBC is trying to encourage a coup (I can't figure out where this comes from)
4) and the real kicker: "I trust Putin more than I do the dems and MSM"

It was astounding. I probably came a little close to getting banned over there for calling out their stupidity and hypocrisy. I guess you can all take comfort that the Trumpiest of Trump's base openly prefers Russia to liberals, because "Putin isn't trying to destroy my livelihood and family."
Texags?
Old 07-17-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I hate to break it to you but the amount of people with solid 401K plans is very small. Most people I know have a small 401K (because they contribute the bare minimum every week), or have already dipped into for other things. I would say that most of the country will not be able to retire on the 401K alone.
It isn't what old-school pensions used to be, for sure.
Old 07-17-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
Objectively, Obama was an excellent, respectable leader with a mixed bag of policy decisions on his record.

Objectively, Trump is a terrible, dishonorable leader with some appalling policy decisions that previously seemed unthinkable in modern America.

**and hey, I'm a registered independent who didn't vote for either of them, but was calling for people to have an open mind the day after Trump was elected because maybe it wouldn't be the doomsday that people were predicting. The doomsday people have turned out to be more right than wrong.
Yes to all of this, except that I voted for Obama because McCain put Sarah Palin on the ticket.

The worst of it is that Trump has created a new normal. Politicians do what worked for other people, and Trump has solid support. From now on, it will be acceptable to say that your political opponent's father conspired to assassinate President Kennedy and to openly run the presidency as a for-profit enterprise.
Old 07-17-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I also have complaints about Obama, particularly with respect to foreign policy, but he tried to close Gitmo and the Senate shot it down time and again with 90+ vote majorities. There wasn't anything Obama could have done.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ention-center/

He certainly ran against oppisition, but I agree with the quotes within that link that state he could have done far more given it was a major point of his platform.

Last edited by hdnmickey; 07-17-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The worst of it is that Trump has created a new normal. Politicians do what worked for other people, and Trump has solid support. From now on, it will be acceptable to say that your political opponent's father conspired to assassinate President Kennedy and to openly run the presidency as a for-profit enterprise.
Not really.

Yes, trump seems to get away with a fuck-ton, but if you'll notice, no other politician seems to be able to get away with even a fraction of what he gets away with. So far, for whatever reason, this whole thing seems particularly specific to just trump, and not really to anyone else.
Old 07-17-18, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The point being, though, that liberals were perfectly fine with criticizing Obama, despite him facing constant attacks from the right. I don't know where we go from here if we can't even agree when someone does something shitty because we don't want to agree with the "other side".
Old 07-17-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We live in an "ends justify the means" time. The ends are tax cuts, or pro-life judges, or whatever, and people on the right are willing to put up with any means -- up to and including treason -- to achieve those ends. Perhaps there are similar folks on the left; that was certainly the argument many made about Democrats' failure to impeach Clinton.
Old 07-17-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes to all of this, except that I voted for Obama because McCain put Sarah Palin on the ticket.

I predict that the next president will win by running on restoring dignity to the office. When Trump goes down in flames, candidates will not see him as someone to emulate.
Old 07-17-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't agree.

When people see how Trump is viewed five, ten, twenty years from now, no one who actually wants to build consensus will be emulating him. Just the opposite.

Trump's schtick, that has seemed to work so bafflingly well up till now, will be seen as Trump's schtick and Trump himself will be reviled for what he will have been revealed to be and for what he put the country through.

I think just the opposite is going to happen.

That's not to say there won't be outliers and elements on the fringe who find support with that kind of blatant shit- but they will be very much a minority.

I could be wrong, but that's what I see coming.
Of course, what do I know?

---------

was typing this up as cungar responded. We are both on the same page though I may be overly optimistic that the dignified sensibility will last a couple generations at least.
Old 07-17-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
We live in an "ends justify the means" time. The ends are tax cuts, or pro-life judges, or whatever, and people on the right are willing to put up with any means -- up to and including treason -- to achieve those ends. Perhaps there are similar folks on the left; that was certainly the argument many made about Democrats' failure to impeach Clinton.
That really does seem to be the motivation behind their singing away their soul. And it's far more than just "pro-life". I believe we may see any civil rights related decision revisted if they get yet another like minded judge on the bench before the end of his term(s). I've read many posts here that all but amidit to that as being the goal.

It's not "look at my 401k", it's "think of all the decisions by activist judges that we get to overturn with our new crop of activist judges".
Old 07-17-18, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But if you look at history, we always elect the opposite from the previous president. Bush 41 was 'kindler and gentler' then Reagan (that was the tag line in 1988). Clinton was younger/hipper then an out of touch Bush 41. Bush 43 was the opposite of Clinton where he was a family/religious man and wasn't going to be cheating on Laura Bush. Obama was not a cowboy like Bush 43 and would be more diplomatic. Trump, is just Trump (no need to expound). I guarantee our next President will be the opposite of Trump with no baggage and no bravado, someone like Mike Pence.

Last edited by mcnabb; 07-17-18 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-17-18, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fox News host Laura Ingraham played down concerns about President Donald Trump’s foreign policy strategy after his performances at a NATO summit, on a visit to the U.K., and after a one-on-one meeting with Russia’s President Vladimir Putin.

It's complex,” Ingraham said of foreign policy during a panel discussion on her show The Ingraham Angle Monday night. "[Trump is] new to it… he's a year and a half into this."

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.