Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 07-14-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The stories you heard about the 12 Russians yesterday took place during the Obama Administration, not the Trump Administration. Why didn’t they do something about it, especially when it was reported that President Obama was informed by the FBI in September, before the Election?</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1018074723140427776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 14, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Try facts. Not Trump.

Obama, however, personally warned Putin against messing with the election, imposed sanctions on Russian individuals and entities, kicked out 35 Russian diplomats and closed two of the Kremlin's compounds in the United States.
Old 07-14-18, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The stories you heard about the 12 Russians yesterday took place during the Obama Administration, not the Trump Administration. Why didn’t they do something about it, especially when it was reported that President Obama was informed by the FBI in September, before the Election?</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1018074723140427776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 14, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...74723140427776

From January:
Biden: McConnell stopped Obama from calling out Russians
https://www.politico.com/amp/story/2...mpression=true
Old 07-14-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why did officials who apparently knew that Russia was interfering not try to stop it?
Since previous sarcasm probably didn't read clearly to others besides yourself-

What if the Russian attack on the election was merely the current, visible manifestation of something that was an even more insidious and deep rooted threat to our republic?

Maybe then the point would be to yield to the attack (briefly, in the larger scheme of things) to ascertain better leverage from which we could eventually pull out the entire root system that had incubated and nurtured that attack (and others) in the first place?
Old 07-14-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Whatever the case, I’m sure that if the Russians who interfered in 2012 met no resistance, they would have interpreted that as a sign to cease interfering.
Old 07-14-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Try facts. Not Trump.
That’s gotta be a bumper sticker somewhere.
Old 07-14-18, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Try facts. Not Trump.
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
Whatever the case, I’m sure that if the Russians who interfered in 2012 met no resistance, they would have interpreted that as a sign to cease interfering.
Why did the Obama administration call off combating the Russian meddling?
Old 07-14-18, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obviously because he's a Muslim disciple of Rev. Wright who was hellbent on taking away our guns and destroying this country through greater access tho healthcare and forced inclusion.

Duh.
Old 07-14-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
What if the Russian attack on the election was merely the current, visible manifestation of something that was an even more insidious and deep rooted threat to our republic?

Maybe then the point would be to yield to the attack (briefly, in the larger scheme of things) to ascertain better leverage from which we could eventually pull out the entire root system that had incubated and nurtured that attack (and others) in the first place?

Old 07-14-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Biden: McConnell stopped Obama from calling out Russians

Biden said he and former President Barack Obama worried that without a united front of bipartisanship, speaking out before the election would undermine the legitimacy of the election and American institutions in a way that would play into the Russians’ larger ambitions.

“Can you imagine if the president called a press conference in October, with this fella, Bannon, and company, and said, ‘Tell you what: Russians are trying to interfere in our elections and we have to do something about it,’” Biden said. “What do you think would have happened? Would things have gotten better, or would it further look like we were trying to delegitimize the electoral process, because of our opponent?”
Old 07-14-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I guarantee you that Putin's gonna try to ask trump to somehow undo the the Magnitsky Act.

In case you don't know what it is; short version... Sergei Magnitsky, an accountant, sought to expose corruption in the Russian government. (Which is a bit like trying to expose flour in a bakery). Russian authorities arrested him, held him in prison for over a year, and finally killed him. In late 2012, Congress overwhelmingly passed an eponymous act, signed by Obama, imposing sanctions on a long list of specific individuals who'd participated in his detention and murder. The Act bars these people from entering the United States or availing themselves of American banks, effectively freezing their money. keeping Putin and his friends from accessing billions of their stolen funds. It's still enforced globally.

It enraged Putin so badly that he forbade Americans from adopting Russian children and sent a lawyer to lobby Trump for its repeal (cf. that infamous meeting at Trump Tower with Trump Jr.). Really, nothing could have pissed off Putin more, and I'm positive that he's buttering up trump to overturn it, not that he could, but watch him try.

Going forward with Russia, the Magnitsky Act needs to be the blueprint for future punitive measures against Russia's meddling.

Last edited by slop101; 07-14-18 at 05:17 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since previous sarcasm probably didn't read clearly to others besides yourself-
Obviously because he's a Muslim disciple of Rev. Wright who was hellbent on taking away our guns and destroying this country through greater access tho healthcare and forced inclusion.

OK - That was sarcasm
Old 07-14-18, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"McConnell’s office disputed this account"
Old 07-14-18, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post

I pulled that Bd out of storage a few weeks back. I really need to watch it again soon.
Old 07-14-18, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Of course it did.

History’s really not going to look kindly on him.
Old 07-14-18, 05:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I guarantee you that Putin's gonna try to ask trump to somehow undo the the Magnitsky Act.

In case you don't know what it is; short version... Sergei Magnitsky, an accountant, sought to expose corruption in the Russian government. (Which is a bit like trying to expose flour in a bakery). Russian authorities arrested him, held him in prison for over a year, and finally killed him. In late 2012, Congress overwhelmingly passed an eponymous act, signed by Obama, imposing sanctions on a long list of specific individuals who'd participated in his detention and murder. The Act bars these people from entering the United States or availing themselves of American banks, effectively freezing their money. keeping Putin and his friends from accessing billions of their stolen funds. It's still enforced globally.

It enraged Putin so badly that he forbade Americans from adopting Russian children and sent a lawyer to lobby Trump for its repeal (cf. that infamous meeting at Trump Tower with Trump Jr.). Really, nothing could have pissed off Putin more, and I'm positive that he's buttering up trump to overturn it, not that he could, but watch him try.

Going forward with Russia, the Magnitsky Act needs to be the blueprint for future punitive measures against Russia's meddling.
Yeah I was just thinking about all this again, but especially the part in bold. There's a ton of money tied up in these frozen accounts. It seems like a good bet that they'll do anything to get that back. In the end, it's all about the heist.
Old 07-14-18, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by gryffinmaster View Post
Of course it did.

History’s really not going to look kindly on him.
“I asked McConnell, and he said he didn’t do it.”
Old 07-14-18, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Important that people watch this video to have a better understand of what gas lighting is.

Old 07-14-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Russia denied it too...
Old 07-14-18, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"

I don't think it's a brand new concept that politicians can also be liars as well. Believing that McConnell would be honest is like believing Trump could be honest
Old 07-14-18, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ false equivalency.
Old 07-14-18, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Duh.

Old 07-14-18, 08:14 PM

I found out recently that I don't have any Republican friends anymore.

Oh, I still have lots of friends who once proudly claimed they were Republicans, voted Republican, claimed to hate communism and Russia, and had Bush/Cheney bumper stickers on their trucks, (one even named his dog "Reagan"), along with their "support the troops" bumper sticker, but in the past couple of years, when I would point out Republican bullshit, they all decided to start saying they are actually Libertarians.

It is almost like they developed a sense of shame about what the Republican party has become, and wanted to somehow separate themselves from it, while at the same time still pretty much supporting everything the Republican party supports.

I'm willing to bet everything I own that at least 80% of them are still registered as Republicans, so they continue to vote in the Republican primaries. They just use "I'm a Libertarian" as a shield to deflect blame from how awful the Republican party is now.
Old 07-14-18, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The implications of this thread are something else!

Yikes. This data was never released publicly, right? So the only way they could have gotten it is directly from the Russians...

referencing this older tweet:

Anyone who doesn't think that trump didn't at least try to somehow cheat with the help of the Russians is fooling themselves.

Bam!
May have not been collusion, but there was certainly cooperation, at least.
But then you'd need a lot of communication between the two to coordinate like it'ss being suggesting. Very high level people obvious had to know about this to cancel and redirect ad money.

Last edited by slop101; 07-14-18 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 08:38 PM

Bam! May have not been collusion, but there was certainly cooperation, at least.
Or, as Trump would say, "fake news", and his sheep will believe it.
Old 07-14-18, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I asked Trump. He said he didn't do it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.