Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 06-08-18, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Don't ever change.

I'll give him a modicum of credit: Trump actually did a good thing there for once.

Of course, Republicans gave Obama shit for doing the same thing for a bunch of drug offenders, except he did it in a completely impartial manner with a multi-tiered review board and he didn't personally make the decisions. Now you guys are lauding Trump for doing this for one person (albeit deserving), knowing full well the only reason he did it is because Kim Kardashian asked him to... and then probably only because Kanye West went crazy and decided he loved Trump three weeks ago.

Now if only the other hundreds or thousands of incarcerated people deserving of pardons have their own ultra famous celebrity advocate whose never been critical of Trump we might see change.

You can see how fucking dumb this all is, right?
Old 06-08-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
Don't ever change.
Right back at ya

I'll give him a modicum of credit: Trump actually did a good thing there for once.
Old 06-08-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't ever change.

Of course, Republicans gave Obama shit for doing the same thing for a bunch of drug offenders, except he did it in a completely impartial manner with a multi-tiered review board and he didn't personally make the decisions. Now you guys are lauding Trump for doing this for one person (albeit deserving), knowing full well the only reason he did it is because Kim Kardashian asked him to... and then probably only because Kanye West went crazy and decided he loved Trump three weeks ago.

Now if only the other hundreds or thousands of incarcerated people deserving of pardons have their own ultra famous celebrity advocate whose never been critical of Trump we might see change.

You can see how fucking dumb this all is, right?
Did he actually do a "good" thing? Is good only defined by the action or a combination of action with motive? If Trump was paid (or compensated in some other way) to make that decision, is it still a good thing?
Old 06-08-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Did he actually do a "good" thing? Is good only defined by the action or a combination of action with motive? If Trump was paid (or compensated in some other way) to make that decision, is it still a good thing?
I'd say in this case the end result was good, regardless of selfish motivation.

It'd be great if Roseanne Barr would talk to Trump about this guy: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/matthew...rossly-unfair/
Old 06-08-18, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd say it was a good result compared to everything else Trump has been doing.
Old 06-08-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The embarrassment continues

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FNowThisPolitics%2Fvideos%2F2088818247816321%2F&show_ text=0&width=476" width="476" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
Old 06-08-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A good sign for sure. I really hope he is sincere and for how long it lasts... And if there are any results.

Personally it feels like a staged statement

In an unexpected twist to the NFL’s anthem/kneeling saga, President Donald Trump on Friday opened the door to allowing players to demonstrate exactly why they’re protesting, by offering to consider possible pardons based on their recommendations.

“I’m going to ask all of those people to recommend to me — because that’s what they’re protesting — people that they think were unfairly treated by the justice system,” Trump said Friday morning. “And I understand that. I’m going to ask them to recommend to me people that were unfairly treated and I’m gonna take a look at those applications and if I find and my committee finds that they’ve been unfairly treated than we’ll pardon them. Or at least let them out.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/trump-asks-...152848089.html
Old 06-08-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although how is he going to pardon dead people or people that have gotten there asses kicked by the police? Which as we know Trump is a fan of.
Old 06-08-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He only listens to celebrities, but again it's better than the other shitty things he's doing. And it's better than listening to his corrupt and incompetent advisors.
Old 06-08-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
The embarrassment continues

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FNowThisPolitics%2Fvideos%2F2088818247816321%2F&show_ text=0&width=476" width="476" height="476" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>
He did say that he just grabs them and kisses.
Old 06-08-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
He only listens to celebrities, but again it's better than the other shitty things he's doing. And it's better than listening to his corrupt and incompetent advisors.
True it is a good thing that he is doing this if he follows through but he could also be using it as a way to mask the pardons of Libby, D'Souza, Arpaio... And potentially flynn, Cohen, manafort, et all
Old 06-08-18, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-08-18, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Two new charges have been filed against Manafort. One count of obstruction of justice and a one count of conspiracy to obstruct justice.

Edit: Just thought I would add that so far this "Witch Hunt" has resulted in 20 people and three companies being charged.

Last edited by WCChiCubsFan; 06-08-18 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
A good sign for sure. I really hope he is sincere and for how long it lasts... And if there are any results.

Personally it feels like a staged statement

https://sports.yahoo.com/trump-asks-...152848089.html

“I’m going to ask all of those people to recommend to me — because that’s what they’re protesting — people that they think were unfairly treated by the justice system,” Trump said Friday morning. “And I understand that. I’m going to ask them to recommend to me people that were unfairly treated and I’m gonna take a look at those applications and if I find and my committee finds that they’ve been unfairly treated than we’ll pardon them. Or at least let them out.”
The guy who wanted to lynch the Central Park 5 and who to this day has not apologized said this?

Yeah, definitely a good sign/not staged.
Old 06-08-18, 01:38 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The first lady attended a FEMA briefing, her first appearance in front of camera in almost a month. Melania did not speak at the meeting. 'She’s doing great. She went through a little rough patch but she’s doing great. She’s done a fantastic job as first lady,' Trump said. <a href="https://t.co/3RDZixwXsc">pic.twitter.com/3RDZixwXsc</a></p>&mdash; Cinephilia &amp; Beyond (@LaFamiliaFilm) <a href="https://twitter.com/LaFamiliaFilm/status/1004843114379595781?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 7, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 06-08-18, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The first lady attended a FEMA briefing, her first appearance in front of camera in almost a month. Melania did not speak at the meeting. 'She’s doing great. She went through a little rough patch but she’s doing great. She’s done a fantastic job as first lady,' Trump said. <a href="https://t.co/3RDZixwXsc">pic.twitter.com/3RDZixwXsc</a></p>&mdash; Cinephilia &amp; Beyond (@LaFamiliaFilm) <a href="https://twitter.com/LaFamiliaFilm/status/1004843114379595781?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 7, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 06-08-18, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
Unless/until Trump stops being a con-man, anything that he does that is out of character is suspect to me.

His motives are just as important to me as is his actions. "Doing the right thing" because Russia is pulling his strings, because he's going to close a real estate deal to his benefit, or because he wants to establish some points of reference so that he can point to later on as "proof" he isn't as bad as his detractors say he is, are not good reasons.

I'm curious, are those who have been critical of Trump but "give him credit" now, going to stand by that "credit" when (not if) he does things things that are racist/bigoted? If not, what does "giving him credit" now for this act accomplish? Positive reinforcement for preferred behavior? Or is this another, Van Jones "He became President of the United States in that moment, period" type of event?

This is the flipside of extending grace to someone who has a reputation for good who slipped up. One stumble wouldn't cause me to think differently about them, and one "right thing" doesn't either when a person has a reputation for being untrustworthy. Yeah, I know, I'm odd.

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
The guy who wanted to lynch the Central Park 5 and who to this day has not apologized said this?

Yeah, definitely a good sign/not staged.
Bingo.
Old 06-08-18, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Two new charges have been filed against Manafort. One count of obstruction of justice and a one count of conspiracy to obstruct justice.

Edit: Just thought I would add that so far this "Witch Hunt" has resulted in 20 people and three companies being charged.
Shouldn't people just be able to get away with their crimes and not have them found out because of a "hoax" of an investigation?
Old 06-08-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Although how is he going to pardon dead people or people that have gotten there asses kicked by the police? Which as we know Trump is a fan of.
He's going to consult with David Clarke on that.
Old 06-08-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Yeah, that's the bizarre part. I don't think any of the kneeling protests are in direct response to a specific person being unjustly jailed. Who does Trump think he's going to pardon?

I think Trump is doing so much pardoning lately because it's one of the only things he can do totally on his own without anyone saying anything otherwise.
Old 06-08-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Phony witch hunt!!!

Old 06-08-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Yeah, that's the bizarre part. I don't think any of the kneeling protests are in direct response to a specific person being unjustly jailed. Who does Trump think he's going to pardon?

I think Trump is doing so much pardoning lately because it's one of the only things he can do totally on his own without anyone saying anything otherwise.
It's obvious that Trump does not know what they are protesting.

It's about Police brutality and misconduct, not an individual that has been jailed.
Old 06-08-18, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
It's obvious that Trump does not know what they are protesting.

It's about Police brutality and misconduct, not an individual that has been jailed.
Well it's closer to the truth than lack of patriotism which he frequently says.
Old 06-08-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

With a couple decent point guards, the whole thing should go well.
Old 06-08-18, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

Maybe it is the only way he can get football players to come to the White House.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.