Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 05-28-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Well, Heaven forbid that we should use reference books for definitions.

I suppose old habits die hard from thirty years of public school teaching research papers and journalism (on top of my own graduate work and the equivalent hours of a ph.D). Old dogs, you know.

But who is this Webster guy to argue with an expert like John Cusack? The guy's hair dye is...well, come to think of it, better let that example slide.
P.S. I have Bachelor's Degrees in Political Science, History, and Economics...so chill out...

Last edited by Goonies85; 05-28-18 at 07:58 PM. Reason: editing
Old 05-28-18, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[/spoiler]

Mods, am I permitted to ask my detractors/insulters a question? Or do they get free shots at other forum members without actually discussing the topic at hand?

If I am permitted to do so, then I would ask those who felt the need to interrupt the discussion the same question I asked Goonie:

What is the difference between "falsehood" and "lie"?
If you can't tell the difference between a FALSEHOOD and a LIE, then there's really no point talking to you...You'll clearly never get it...
Old 05-28-18, 08:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goonies85 View Post
I'm pretty sure I was discussing the topic at hand. And I was trying my best to be polite. So no, I don't think the mods need to get involved. But nice try...
You may have noticed that I didn't quote you when asking the question.

But how about Ol' John's statement that Obama was worse than Bush in many ways? Keep in mind that he said that in when Obama only had 1 1/2 years left in an 8-year Presidency.
Old 05-28-18, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't know anything about this Maggie Haberman, but people are bringing up the fact that she hasn't shied away from saying someone LIED about something before.

Old 05-28-18, 08:04 PM
Banned

If you can't tell the difference between a FALSEHOOD and a LIE, then there's really no point talking to you...You'll clearly never get it...
Which dictionary do you prefer?
Old 05-28-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But who is this Webster guy to argue with an expert like John Cusack? The guy's hair dye is...well, come to think of it, better let that example slide.
Sorry I know but that post reminds me how in another thread on DVD Talk I told the story about how John Cusack was hitting on my girlfriend while she was working as a hairdresser on the set of the baseball movie "Eight Men Out".
Old 05-28-18, 08:07 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
That post reminds me how in another thread on DVD Talk I told the story about how John Cusack was hitting on my girlfriend while she was working as a hairdresser on the set of the baseball movie "Eight Men Out".
I know a guy who once dated Judd Nelson's sister.

Small world.

Old 05-28-18, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I once saw movies that had John Cusack and Judd Nelson. It's turning into a damn lovefest in here.
Old 05-28-18, 08:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
I don't know anything about this Maggie Haberman, but people are bringing up the fact that she hasn't shied away from saying someone LIED about something before.

https://twitter.com/maggienyt/status...647297?lang=en
This illustrates the manufactured outrage some can come up with over nothing.

If she said he told a falsehood, she said that he lied. It's not like substituting "sexual assault" (which can mean many things) for "rape."

This has gone beyond bizarre. Now being highly critical of the President is not enough; one has to use "the right words."

Is there an approved list of words that journalists have to use to placate certain viewpoints? If someone says that Harry Reid told a falsehood when he said Mitt Romney didn't pay taxes, I'm satisfied that he was called a liar. I'm not going to say that the person is "defending" Reid for pointing out that he told falsehoods.

If the American people are too dumb to know that false = not true and that falsehoods = lies, then we are indeed in deep, deep doody.
Old 05-28-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Which dictionary do you prefer?
Again, to MOST Americans, a FALSEHOOD is often just an innocent mistake, whereas a LIE is DELIBERATE and intentionally so (as is the definition of DELIBERATE)...It's awesome you're so great with the dictionary...I wish you were that great when it came to LOGIC...But alas...
Old 05-28-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This illustrates the manufactured outrage some can come up with over nothing.

If she said he told a falsehood, she said that he lied. It's not like substituting "sexual assault" (which can mean many things) for "rape."

This has gone beyond bizarre. Now being highly critical of the President is not enough; one has to use "the right words."

Is there an approved list of words that journalists have to use to placate certain viewpoints? If someone says that Harry Reid told a falsehood when he said Mitt Romney didn't pay taxes, I'm satisfied that he was called a liar. I'm not going to say that the person is "defending" Reid for pointing out that he told falsehoods.

If the American people are too dumb to know that false = not true and that falsehoods = lies, then we are indeed in deep, deep doody.
So was Hillary Clinton lying about Benghazi or were those just falsehoods? You're argument is falling flat...And you seem to not understand that...I'm sure had Clinton been elected you would have the polar opposite view that you currently have...but of course you'll never admit that...because why would you? You seem like a class act...
Old 05-28-18, 08:16 PM
Banned

Sorry I know but that post reminds me how in another thread on DVD Talk I told the story about how John Cusack was hitting on my girlfriend while she was working as a hairdresser on the set of the baseball movie "Eight Men Out".
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
I know a guy who once dated Judd Nelson's sister.

Small world.

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I once saw movies that had John Cusack and Judd Nelson. It's turning into a damn lovefest in here.

Finally...intelligent discussion! (whew!)

It's like Six Degrees of Cusack Separation!

Loved Eight Men Out (but then, I love most of John Sayle's work whether as a director or writer). Matewan is sheer genius.

Cusack was a really good actor in his younger days, but he's gotten a little mannered for my tastes. I did seem him in some recent little indie flick in which he played a bank robber who was trying to recover his loot from three friends. He was pretty good (bad hair dye aside) in that.

I actually like his sister better now, although she unfortunately kind of looks like John in a wig.

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-28-18 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-28-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
This is DVD Talk after all.
Old 05-28-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I'm going to guess that in the next congressional elections (in November), the American people are going to be a lot smarter than you.
Old 05-28-18, 08:18 PM
Banned

You seem like a class act...

So I'm constantly told.
Old 05-28-18, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally...intelligent discussion! (whew!)

Loved Eight Men Out (but then, I love most of John Sayle's work whether as a director or writer). Matewan is sheer genius.

Cusack was a really good actor in his younger days, but he's gotten a little mannered for my tastes. I did seem him in some recent little indie flick in which he played a bank robber who was trying to recover his loot from three friends. He was pretty good (bad hair dye aside) in that.
Some things we agree on. Eight Men Out is a great movie. Matewan is awesome. But my favorite movies of his (I mean John Sayles) will always remain Lone Star and Limbo...Especially Limbo...I feel that's very underrated...And David Straitharn is awesome in that...

Last edited by Goonies85; 05-28-18 at 08:23 PM. Reason: clarifying
Old 05-28-18, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also saw that movie and thought it was very well done. Cusack was also great with Nic Cage in The Frozen Ground.
Old 05-28-18, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also saw that movie and thought it was very well done. Cusack was also great with Nic Cage in The Frozen Ground.
We may disagree politically but it seems like we both like certain John Cusack movies...
Old 05-28-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any "Better Off Dead" love?

Old 05-28-18, 08:23 PM
Enormous Genitals

Some things we agree on. Eight Men Out is a great movie. Matewan is awesome. But my favorite movies of his will always remain Lone Star and Limbo...Especially Limbo...I feel that's very underrated...And David Straitharn is awesome in that...
What about Grosse Pointe Blank? High Fidelity?

Honestly, it's like I don't even know you people.
Old 05-28-18, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any "Better Off Dead" love?

Yes, great movie.
Old 05-28-18, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
What about Grosse Pointe Blank? Hith Fidelity?

Honestly, it's like I don't even know you people.
Of course. I wasn't about to list all of my favorite Cusack movies...But you could probably also throw Con Air with the above-mentioned movies...And maybe, maybe Identity (even though it was a little contrived)...
Old 05-28-18, 08:25 PM
Banned

Well, I like The Goonies, too, so there!

Anybody seen The Jack Bull? Great little HBO western back when they produced a whole bunch of superb western flicks. Also starring John Goodman as a villain.

Also, The Grifters. Cusack was dynamite in that.
Old 05-28-18, 08:26 PM
Enormous Genitals

Con Air is a guilty pleasure. Not up to par with the others. If we're going to start talking Nic Cage movies, though...
Old 05-28-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Usually to have this much agreement someone had to have posted half-naked pictures.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.