Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 05-23-18, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

The judge declined to issue an order forcing Trump to unblock the users, saying her ruling should be sufficient to force a change in behavior.
She's obviously not accustomed to dealing with orange children.
Old 05-23-18, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post

Clearly this judge doesn't watch the news much.
I don't think she's naive. It looks like she wanted to avoid a "constitutional crisis". If she made unblocking a court order and he refused, there would be a problem. It will take additional legal action to get a court order if he doesn't unblock people.
Old 05-23-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We just can't TELL if he's done anything illegal though. I mean, who knows!
Old 05-23-18, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So if he continues to block people post-ruling, what happens?
Old 05-23-18, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mordred View Post
I'm not a lawyer but I suspect, nothing would happen. Unless someone files another lawsuit and the judge makes it a court order. And if he refuses after that, he'll accuse the judge of engaging in a witch hunt.
Old 05-23-18, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I'm not a lawyer but I suspect, nothing would happen. Unless someone files another lawsuit and the judge makes it a court order. And if he refuses after that, he'll accuse the judge of engaging in a witch hunt.
In other words; Thursday.
Old 05-23-18, 01:14 PM

Nothing. Except maybe we'll hear about a time that Obama and Hillary blocked someone on social media.
Old 05-23-18, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Then fire her.
Old 05-23-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I mean seriously, we are now seeing lawsuits about the standing president blocking people on twitter? I think the republic has fallen...
Old 05-23-18, 01:30 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by professor chaos View Post
Nothing. Except maybe we'll hear about a time that Obama and Hillary blocked someone on social media.
It'll be something irrelevant but vaguely similar. Like when Obama sent a birthday greeting to person X (who is Black) but not person Y (who is White). Clearly a racist.
Old 05-23-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
I think your statement is missing this detail:
BBC is reporting that Cohen received at least $400k from Ukraine in June 2017 to arrange talks with Trump.

It reads kind of awkward without that.
Yes, I missed it in my rush to get it posted before boarding my flight. I shouldn’t post from my phone.
Old 05-23-18, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't understand why you indulge this.
Blocked two users after similar advice last weekend. Thanks for that. Never blocked anyone before and although they can claim it as some sort of victory at least I won't have to hear it.
Old 05-23-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kushner got his clearance re-instated. Because why the fuck not at this point?
Old 05-23-18, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
http://fortune.com/2018/05/23/donald...le-on-twitter/

Let's see how long the cheeto in chief takes to unblock all these people
LOL, who's gonna enforce this, Congress? Maybe twitter, but they're cowards as well.

If he's been in violation of emoluments clause with zero repercussion, this ain't shit.
Old 05-23-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I mean seriously, we are now seeing lawsuits about the standing president blocking people on twitter? I think the republic has fallen...
Those are official Presidential statements. That's straight from the White House. They shouldn't be able to block people from receiving those.
Old 05-23-18, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It’s not unthinkable that trump may even stop doing joint press conference at some point which would make twitter, possibly the state of the union , and Fox News the only way to hear from the president.
Old 05-23-18, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The lawsuit referred to his personal 'realdonaldtrump' account, but, if twitter were the only way we got to hear from trump, I'd be OK with that ...
:-)
Old 05-23-18, 03:37 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Kushner got his clearance re-instated. Because why the fuck not at this point?

Sat with the Mueller team for another 7 hours answering questions before he got it though.
Old 05-23-18, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Those are official Presidential statements. That's straight from the White House. They shouldn't be able to block people from receiving those.
How does Twitter blocking work? Even if I'm not logged into Twitter, I can still see his posts, can't I?
Old 05-23-18, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
How does Twitter blocking work? Even if I'm not logged into Twitter, I can still see his posts, can't I?
Yes, you can see the posts of any not private account if you're not logged in. But since he uses his personal Twitter for official WH statements, it's unconstitutional for him to block anyone. He could, of course use the official Twitter account that gets set up for Presidents but he just has to be different and use his personal.
Old 05-23-18, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All that bullshit about Hillary and Benghazi or her emails, and yet... Most Americans don’t realize Robert Mueller’s investigation has uncovered crimes

A majority of Americans — 59 percent — say in a new survey that Robert Mueller’s investigation into Russia and the 2016 campaign has not yet uncovered evidence of any crimes, even though in reality, Mueller has already obtained five guilty pleas and 17 criminal indictments.

That’s according to a new survey from Navigator Research that looks at Americans’ view of the probe and ought to reshape the debate over the Russia investigation’s role in both media coverage and Democratic Party messaging.
To be as clear about this as possible, Mueller’s investigation has absolutely uncovered evidence of crimes:
  • Michael Flynn, former national security adviser and a key Trump campaign surrogate, pleaded guilty to making false statements to federal investigators in December.
  • Rick Gates, a top aide on the Trump campaign and a longtime business partner of Paul Manafort, pleaded guilty to false statements and one count of conspiracy.
  • George Papadopoulos, a foreign policy adviser on the campaign, pleaded guilty to false statements.
  • Alexander van der Zwaan, a London-based Dutch attorney, pleaded guilty to making false statements about his contacts with Gates and an unnamed Ukrainian.
  • 13 Russian nationals and three Russian companies have been indicted on conspiracy charges, and some on identity theft charges, related to Russian social media and hacking efforts.
  • Richard Pinedo, a California resident, has pleaded guilty to an identity theft chargerelated to the Russian indictments.
  • Paul Manafort, Trump’s campaign chair, is facing two separate indictments — one in DCabout conspiracy, money laundering, false statements, and failure to disclose foreign assets; and one in Virginia about tax, financial, and bank fraud charges.

One can interpret this pattern of behavior in a few ways. One is that Mueller is steadily putting in place the building blocks of a huge, mafia-style takedown that will end with Manafort “flipping” under pressure and new indictments coming against members of Donald Trump’s family and damning evidence about Trump himself. Another would be that when placed under a microscope by an aggressive prosecutor, several Trump aides turn out to have been involved in financial malfeasance only loosely related to the Trump campaign and Trump himself did nothing wrong. But there is definitely evidence of crimes — including some serious ones — by a range of figures, some Russian and some Americans and some working at a very high level in Trumpworld.

Yet despite what most Americans perceive to be a very steady drumbeat of Trump-Russia news, the majority of the public is completely unaware of these critical facts.

That suggests that the press as a whole has not done a good job of actually conveying factual information to our audience, that Democrats’ messaging on the investigation has not been clear enough on the most damning point (Trump, even if otherwise innocent, is guilty of hiring crooks and trying to prevent an investigation into their activity), and that Trump’s counterstrategy of muddying the waters around the investigation has been fairly successful.
Mueller's investigation has made some great steady progress in spite of what many conservative talking-heads will try to tell you. Why do the Democrats suck so much at messaging?

I think a lot of it is also Fox News sheltering it's viewers from a lot of unflattering truths, keeping them faithful, just like state-run media does.
Old 05-23-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

I think a lot of it is also Fox News sheltering it's viewers from a lot of unflattering truths, keeping them faithful, just like state-run media does.
Fox News is all about marketing and dispensing affirmation instead of information.
Old 05-23-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
All that bullshit about Hillary and Benghazi or her emails, and yet... Most Americans don’t realize Robert Mueller’s investigation has uncovered crimes

Mueller's investigation has made some great steady progress in spite of what many conservative talking-heads will try to tell you. Why do the Democrats suck so much at messaging?

My guess is that it's partly because the loudest people keep saying "Nothing found! Shut it down!" and also because nothing has hit Trump directly yet.
Old 05-23-18, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
My guess is that it's partly because the loudest people keep saying "Nothing found! Shut it down!" and also because nothing has hit Trump directly yet.
That's the odd thing. I suspect that even if someone as close to Trump as Don Jr is indicted but Trump himself isn't, Trump and his supporters would see that as vindication. "See, it really was a witch hunt! No collusion!"
Old 05-23-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Yes, but that's not the point. Of course you can see them in other places. But the White House can't bar every news organization except for Fox and just say that everyone can get the info from Fox.

Do you think the official White House Twitter (or Facebook or Instagram or any social media) accounts should be allowed to block people who disagree with what they say?

Trump caused this mess because he turned his personal account into the official mouthpiece for the White House, going as far as firing people and making proclamations that cause everyone to scramble to follow up on. If he wants his Twitter account to be his official voice, he can't turn around and "silence" those who disagree with him.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.