Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 05-20-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Trump's strategy in a nut shell

Old 05-20-18, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Trump's strategy in a nut shell
Or:

"I just hope I find it along the way. Like an improv conversation. An improversation."
Old 05-20-18, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I disagree pretty fucking strongly with this. What gets people out to vote is hope, not fear. Generally, fear tends to paralyze people into inaction.
That's another way to look at it. So given that, do you believe that the people who voted for Trump primarily voted for him out of hope that he would deliver on the image of hope he presented? Or out of fear of immigrants flowing in and murdering everyone? Or out of fear that American jobs are moving overseas? Or fear of the progressive/liberals furthering their agenda of inclusion? Or fear that a liberal judge would be appointed to the Supreme Court and allowing abortions to take place without any restrictions?

What message of hope are the Democrats articulating for the mid-terms?
Old 05-20-18, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL “I hereby demand”.

Who the fuck does this guy think he is? Julius Caesar?
Old 05-20-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trump is blatantly obstructing justice. He is demanding an investigation into the investigation of his campaign. He may also be trying to set up a showdown that provides an excuse to fire Deputy Attorney General Rosenstein, the DOJ official overseeing the Russia investigation.
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
LOL “I hereby demand”.

Or maybe cause this to happen:

Somebody is gonna be "shook".
Old 05-20-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
That's another way to look at it. So given that, do you believe that the people who voted for Trump primarily voted for him out of hope that he would deliver on the image of hope he presented? Or out of fear of immigrants flowing in and murdering everyone? Or out of fear that American jobs are moving overseas? Or fear of the progressive/liberals furthering their agenda of inclusion? Or fear that a liberal judge would be appointed to the Supreme Court and allowing abortions to take place without any restrictions?
They hoped he'd address their fears...

What message of hope are the Democrats articulating for the mid-terms?
None, which is why Dems are such losers.
Old 05-20-18, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
LOL “I hereby demand”.

As president, the head of the executive branch.
Old 05-20-18, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Yall settle down for a minute, we got some fresh tweets.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Things are really getting ridiculous. The Failing and Crooked (but not as Crooked as Hillary Clinton) <a href="https://twitter.com/nytimes?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@nytimes</a> has done a long &amp; boring story indicating that the World’s most expensive Witch Hunt has found nothing on Russia &amp; me so now they are looking at the rest of the World!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/998187672979038208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">....At what point does this soon to be $20,000,000 Witch Hunt, composed of 13 Angry and Heavily Conflicted Democrats and two people who have worked for Obama for 8 years, STOP! They have found no Collussion with Russia, No Obstruction, but they aren’t looking at the corruption...</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/998189366844559360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">...in the Hillary Clinton Campaign where she deleted 33,000 Emails, got $145,000,000 while Secretary of State, paid McCabes wife $700,000 (and got off the FBI hook along with Terry M) and so much more. Republicans and real Americans should start getting tough on this Scam.</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/998191501451628544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Now that the Witch Hunt has given up on Russia and is looking at the rest of the World, they should easily be able to take it into the Mid-Term Elections where they can put some hurt on the Republican Party. Don’t worry about Dems FISA Abuse, missing Emails or Fraudulent Dossier!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/998194013193822208?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">What ever happened to the Server, at the center of so much Corruption, that the Democratic National Committee REFUSED to hand over to the hard charging (except in the case of Democrats) FBI? They broke into homes &amp; offices early in the morning, but were afraid to take the Server?</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/998196033153839104?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">....and why hasn’t the Podesta brother been charged and arrested, like others, after being forced to close down his very large and successful firm? Is it because he is a VERY well connected Democrat working in the Swamp of Washington, D.C.?</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/998202784683053056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Witch Hunt finds no Collusion with Russia - so now they’re looking at the rest of the World. Oh’ great!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/998250447394820096?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I hereby demand, and will do so officially tomorrow, that the Department of Justice look into whether or not the FBI/DOJ infiltrated or surveilled the Trump Campaign for Political Purposes - and if any such demands or requests were made by people within the Obama Administration!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/998256454590193665?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 20, 2018</a></blockquote>

So guilty, and so unhinged.

Or, as another poster likes to put it,

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
"shook".
Old 05-20-18, 06:27 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Or maybe cause this to happen:

Somebody is gonna be "shook".
I have no problem with the Inspector General looking to see if there was any improper political motive in the couterintelligence surveillance. However, I seriously doubt that's the case, or I would have expected to see information leak prior to the election. Instead, the Obama administration bent over backwards to NOT adversely affect the Trump campaign so as not to be seen as attempting to influence the election.
Old 05-20-18, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post

So guilty, and so unhinged.
Yeah, these are not the words and actions of someone who is in any way innocent.

And this is no longer about him rocking the boat like it used to be. He is now acting like someone under direct threat. The boat is already rocking, this is self defense, this is panic. Why would an innocent man panic so?
Old 05-20-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post

Or, as another poster likes to put it,
"shook".

I can't take credit, that is why I put it in quotes.

Its Slop101's
Old 05-20-18, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Edifying op-ed up at Salon here

"What More Do You Need To Know About Trump?" (which, for the majority of people here is, of course, a rhetorical question)

...But it’s his lies about Russia that really ring a bell. Trump and his White House surrogates began by claiming that the Trump campaign never met with any Russians and had nothing to do with Russia. Revelation after revelation about contacts between Trump people and Russians followed. Then they claimed they had met with only a few Russians. More revelations about more Russians. Then they claimed they had not met with any Russians “about the campaign.” The Trump Tower meeting was revealed. Meets between George Papadopoulos and Russians in London came to light. Trump suddenly started claiming that there was “no collusion.” Evidence of collusion emerged. Then Trump began claiming that even if there was collusion, it was not illegal. Indictments came down. Now Rudy Giuliani is out there telling the world that even if Trump did something wrong, he can’t be indicted as a sitting president.

Wow. Watching Trump revisions on the Russia story is like watching a Slinky descend a staircase, flipping over and over and over and over.

But every set of stairs has a bottom and in Trump’s case, it’s the law. ...

He has reached the ground floor with Russia and everything else. You can lie at rallies, you can lie to the media, you can lie to voters, but lies don’t work when they come up against laws. That’s where Trump finds himself today. He’s a lying, thieving traitor who conspired with a hostile nation to steal the presidential election of 2016 and he got caught. Not even his bone spurs will get him a deferment this time. He’s going to be drafted for the farm team at Leavenworth. He’s going down.
...as I might add, are the congressmen who aided and abetted during and after the fact.
Old 05-20-18, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Donald Trump is a bigot, a racist, and a hate-filled person.

The people who carry water for him are, for the most part, bigots, racists, and hate-filled people.

Stop wasting your time arguing with bigots, racists, and hate-filled people.

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Nope. Jason descrined their "contributions" quite well. Hopefullu more people will take his advice and totally stop engaging with them.

It's a total waste of time arguing with some of these people, just don't engage, you will not have any kind of constructive debate, it's not worth it.
Old 05-20-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hey - I guess I will add a piece from The HILL,
Its from Mark Penn who served as pollster and adviser to President Clinton from 1995 to 2000

Stopping Robert Mueller to protect us all
link here

At this point, there is little doubt that the highest echelons of the FBI and the Justice Department broke their own rules to end the Hillary Clinton “matter” — but we can expect the inspector general to document what was done or, more pointedly, not done. It is hard to see how a year-long investigation of this won’t come down hard on former FBI director James Comey and perhaps even former Attorney General Loretta Lynch, who definitely wasn’t playing mahjong in a secret, no-aides-allowed meeting with former President Clinton on a Phoenix airport tarmac.

With this report on the way and congressional investigators beginning to zero in on the lack of hard, verified evidence for starting the Trump investigation, current and former intelligence and Justice officials are dumping everything they can think of to save their reputations.

But it is backfiring. They started by telling the story of Alexander Downer, an Australian diplomat, as having remembered a bar conversation George Papadopoulos, a foreign policy adviser to the Trump presidential campaign. But how did the FBI know they should talk to him? That’s left out of their narrative.

Downer’s signature appears on a $25 million contribution to the Clinton Foundation. You don’t need much imagination to figure that he was close with Clinton Foundation operatives who relayed information to the State Department, who then called the FBI to complete the loop. No, it wasn’t intelligence — it was likely opposition research from the start.

In no way would a fourth-hand report from a Maltese professor justify wholesale targeting of four or five members of the Trump campaign. It took Christopher Steele, with his funding concealed through false campaign filings, to be incredibly successful at creating a vast echo chamber around his unverified, fanciful dossier, bouncing it back and forth between the press and the FBI so it appeared that there were multiple sources all coming to the same conclusion
A commenter said he will be going long on popcorn futures
Old 05-20-18, 08:36 PM
Banned

Have you ever noticed how, in a discussion forum, it always seems to be folks representing one particular worldview who do the following?

1. Don't want to discuss things with people who put their views on the hot seat;

2. Continually & repeatedly announce that they refuse to discuss issues with same people;

3. Despite #2, continually & repeatedly refer to the same people;

4. Continually & repeatedly advise, nag, or plead with others to do the same (evidently feeling that their audience isn't sufficiently mature enough to decide for themselves and need "guidance").

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-20-18 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 08:58 PM

Donald Trump said 11 false things in just 5 tweets Sunday morning

Of course his apologists say we should ignore his primary way of communicating to the world.
Old 05-20-18, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Have you ever noticed how, in a discussion forum, it always seems to be folks representing one particular worldview who do the following?

Yes.

It is amusing how often they will not reply to a member but will post in another post or reply still referring to that member just the same.

But its just not here, in another thread I ask DVD Talk members repeatedly and will continually welcome them to post cartoons but that not what they want - they seem to want to shut down opposing posts of view.
Old 05-20-18, 09:30 PM
Banned

Yes.

It is amusing how often they will not reply to a member but will post in another post or reply still referring to that member just the same.

But its just not here, in another thread I ask DVD Talk members repeatedly and will continually welcome them to post cartoons but that not what they want - they seem to want to shut down opposing posts of view.
Of course they do. They feel threatened by dissent. Otherwise, why all the comical hand-wringing about "Please don't quote them. Arggh! My eyes! My eyes!"

It really cracks me up. Whether it's a game to them (which is the least insulting take, and supported by their continued references to "playing," "games," "scoring points," etc.), simple animosity without any real allegiance to any view (AKA "I want to be popular"), anger when their views have been skewered, lack of ability to grasp complex issues, unwillingness to hear other views with an open mind, lack of maturity or experience, or some even less savory explanation...

it's hilarious and bizarre at the same time. Kinda like this Corman classic shot in five days:

As you point out, they will issue curious statements such as "I can't quote him" and then proceed to paraphrase the poster being referenced...mangling the poster's views in the process (perhaps intentionally).

It is a nostalgic trip for me, having observed the hormonal anxieties of the adolescent mind over a thirty-year career (after surviving my own rite of passage through those difficult years! ).
Old 05-20-18, 10:07 PM

Hey - I guess I will add a piece from The HILL,
Its from Mark Penn who served as pollster and adviser to President Clinton from 1995 to 2000

Stopping Robert Mueller to protect us all
link here

A commenter said he will be going long on popcorn futures
Why start by discussing the Clinton investigation? The Russia investigation is wholly separate.

The article is pure speculation. The guy pretends to have full knowledge of the Russia investigation when he is just guessing. He also appears to get basic facts wrong. Here's the original description of how the FBI received the tip about Papadopoulos, the professor, and the hacked emails.

Even if the tip were passed through an intermediary, what difference would that make, provided that the FBI confirmed the info with the Australian sources? It wouldn't matter, except to GOP hacks that are trying to undermine the investigation in any way possible. Hacks try to paint normal investigative work as improper or nefarious. Good tips can come from biased sources. What matters is the accuracy of the information.

Two months later, when leaked Democratic emails began appearing online, Australian officials passed the information about Mr. Papadopoulos to their American counterparts, according to four current and former American and foreign officials with direct knowledge of the Australians’ role.

Last edited by Ghostbuster; 05-20-18 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I forgot where I heard it, but someone mentioned how the weather would be too rainy for golf, and he didn't have much on the schedule, so be prepared for a major Twitter meltdown this weekend...

Our man-baby in Chief did not disappoint

Last edited by JTH182; 05-20-18 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-20-18, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting piece considering it's fox news

It’s understandable that President Trump finds the long and intrusive Mueller investigation objectionable and distracting. But because I know Mueller well, I am sure of one thing: he is conducting a full and fair investigation. The president would be wise to let the Russia probe continue and let Mueller continue to lead it.
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/...e-mueller.html
Old 05-20-18, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And Michael B. Mukasey, a former federal judge, was attorney general in the George W. Bush administration on USA Today says its time to end it:

End Robert Mueller's investigation

It sounds harmless to suggest that the Mueller investigation be allowed more time to finish its work. But is it?

Let’s review some history.

Recall that the investigation was begun to learn whether the Trump campaign had gotten help unlawfully from Russia. Justice Department regulations permit appointment of a special counsel only if (i) there is reason to think that a federal crime has been committed, and (ii) investigating it would present a conflict of interest for the Justice Department or there is another overriding public reason to take the investigation outside DOJ.

Because Attorney General Jeff Sessions had worked on the Trump campaign, he recused himself from the matter, and so the deputy — Rod Rosenstein — took the decision to appoint a special counsel. The regulations require that such an appointment recite the facts justifying the conclusion that a federal crime was committed, and specify the crime. However, the initial appointment of Robert Mueller did neither, referring instead to a national security investigation that a special counsel has no authority to pursue.

Although Rosenstein apparently tried to correct his mistake in a new appointment memo, he has thus far refused to disclose, even to a federal judge, a complete copy of it. In other investigations supposedly implicating a president — Watergate and Whitewater come to mind — we were told what the crime was and what facts justified the investigation. Not here.

Spoiler:
Nor have any of the charges filed in the Mueller investigation disclosed the Trump campaign’s criminal acceptance or solicitation of help from the Russians. The one indictment that relates to Russian criminality charges that the Russians hacked Democratic Party computers and committed other social media abuse, but says specifically that if the Trump campaign got the benefit of it, that was “unwitting” — i.e., without criminal intent.

Since then, although the White House has produced documents in the tens of thousands, the investigation has gotten further from anything suggesting Trump campaign criminality involving Russian influence, not closer. Michael Cohen and Stormy Daniels, however fascinating, have nothing to do with Russian campaign influence.

What’s the harm in letting it go on?

First, the law requires that a special counsel investigate a specified crime based on specified facts, not try to be the second coming of the Lone Ranger.

But further, the ongoing investigation saps the resources and attention of the Trump administration. If the administration cannot function, the burden of this constantly shifting investigation will give rise to a narrative that any failure was due to the Mueller diversion — that the Trump administration was stabbed in the back. That is potentially more damaging to our politics than any salaciousness that might be tossed up by Robert Mueller.

For both legal and political reasons, the end of this investigation is overdue.
Old 05-20-18, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nope, let the investigation continue. It's been fruitful so far and it's obvious the only reason people want it to end is to stop Mueller from finding even more evidence of corruption.
Old 05-21-18, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Nope, let the investigation continue. It's been fruitful so far and it's obvious the only reason people want it to end is to stop Mueller from finding even more evidence of corruption.
The efforts to end the investigation are transparent as hell. For the good of the country? Total bullshit. Trump is acting in his own interest. He barely even attempts to hide it. And Trump supporters are worried that indictments of more Trump associates are on the way.

What don't people get? This is a matter of national security. That's a fact. Russia attacked the United States. It interfered in the election in a variety of ways and committed numerous cybercrimes, including stealing emails and other info, breaking into voter databases, and engaging in fraudulent behavior on social media. Mueller is investigating those crimes and any potential related crimes committed by Americans or others. And yes, there is evidence of criminal conspiracy by Americans, even though none of have been indicted yet. Rosenstein and Mueller are the representatives of the Justice Department. As legal experts and authorities on this investigation with full knowledge of its current status and findings, they decide when it ends.

If Trump ends the investigation early, I sincerely hope people unleash hell. I encourage peaceful protest and civil disobedience., but if some people go further, I will understand. People are sick of Trump doing whatever he thinks he can get away with. If Congress won't hold him accountable, then it's up to the citizens of this country to do that.
Old 05-21-18, 12:17 AM
Banned

If Trump ends the investigation early, I sincerely hope people unleash hell. I encourage peaceful protest and civil disobedience., but if some people go further, I will understand. People are sick of Trump doing whatever he thinks he can get away with. If Congress won't hold him accountable, then it's up to the citizens of this country to do that.
Good grief.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.