Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 05-16-18, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

"We shed light on the quality of Bolton already in the past, and we do not hide our feeling of repugnance towards him."

LOL!! Tell us how you really feel!
Old 05-16-18, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by slybone View Post
While I don't disagree with the sentiment of this cover, I hope that the editor is not so pleased that he/she let's it go to print with that glaring typo on there. Should read "Ivanka's", since everyone like to bust Trump and his people on typos.
That's not a typo. Headlines frequently leave out words (comma instead of "and", leaving out "is", "the", "a", "an", etc.). Continuing with this specific example:

Derrius Guice all smiles, a 'ball of energy' in rookie minicamp
A Day Later, Titans LB Rashaan Evans All Smiles in Nashville
Boy All Smiles after Dental Surgery at Silver Cross Hospital
Old 05-16-18, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
That's not a typo. Headlines frequently leave out words (comma instead of "and", leaving out "is", "the", "a", "an", etc.). Continuing with this specific example:

Derrius Guice all smiles, a 'ball of energy' in rookie minicamp
A Day Later, Titans LB Rashaan Evans All Smiles in Nashville
Boy All Smiles after Dental Surgery at Silver Cross Hospital
OK, after reading it again plus your examples I do get that, but it still at least initially reads as bad use of English to my eyes. Maybe it's a result of today's text culture where brevity is king.
Old 05-16-18, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slybone View Post
OK, after reading it again plus your examples I do get that, but it still at least initially reads as bad use of English to my eyes. Maybe it's a result of today's text culture where brevity is king.
Removing words in headlines for brevity is hardly because of “text culture”.

Old 05-16-18, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Washington Post and CNN have typically written false stories about our trade negotiations with China. Nothing has happened with ZTE except as it pertains to the larger trade deal. Our country has been losing hundreds of billions of dollars a year with China...</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/996739372723638272?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 16, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">...haven’t even started yet! The U.S. has very little to give, because it has given so much over the years. China has much to give!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/996739376028835840?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 16, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 05-16-18, 08:43 AM
Banned

So Ms. Clifford is crowd-funding with a target of raising $850,000, which her attorney says is about right for cases this size.

Why would she need that amount of money for a court case?
Old 05-16-18, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Huh. Nothing wrong but won't answer questions. Also note that this is per foxnews so not fake news.

Trump Jr. deflected multiple questions during the interview, including whether he discussed the Russia probe with his father. According to the transcripts, Trump Jr. also said he didn't think there was anything wrong with attending the Trump Tower meeting in which he was promised dirt on Hillary Clinton.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...r-meeting.html
Old 05-16-18, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
So Ms. Clifford is crowd-funding with a target of raising $850,000, which her attorney says is about right for cases this size.

Why would she need that amount of money for a court case?
How much do you think is reasonable for a court case when sued for $20 million by the sitting president of the United States?
Old 05-16-18, 09:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
How much do you think is reasonable for a court case when sued for $20 million by the sitting president of the United States?
About $130,000.
Old 05-16-18, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
About $130,000.
That ship sailed when Stormy offered but Trump refused to take the $130k back in exchange for voiding and the deal
Old 05-16-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

About the "innocent protesters in Gaza" thing.

50 of the 62 killed so far...were Hamas members.

New York Daily News can shove that story up their disinformative dark, hairy, hole.
Old 05-16-18, 09:23 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

New York Daily News can shove that story up their disinformative dark, hairy, hole.
We’re any of the kids Hamas members?
Old 05-16-18, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Removing words in headlines for brevity is hardly because of “text culture”.

Thank you for your examples also. I stand corrected.
Old 05-16-18, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Probably?
Old 05-16-18, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

http://thehill.com/opinion/internati...hamas-violence

Spoiler:
If this were the first time that Hamas deliberately provoked Israel into self-defense actions that resulted in the unintended deaths of Gaza civilians, the media could be excused for playing into the hands of Hamas.

The most recent Hamas provocations — having 40,000 Gazans try to tear down the border fence and enter Israel with Molotov cocktails and other improvised weapons — are part of a repeated Hamas tactic that I have called the “dead baby strategy.” The goal of Hamas is to have Israel kill as many Gazans as possible so that the headlines always begin, and often end, with the body count. Hamas deliberately sends women and children to the front line, while their own fighters hide behind these human shields.

Hamas leaders have long acknowledged this tactic. Fathi Hammad, a Hamas member of the Palestinian Legislative Council, stated as far back as 2008, “For the Palestinian people, death has become an industry, at which women excel, and so do all the people living on this land. The elderly excel at this, and so do the mujahideen and the children. This is why they have formed human shields of the women, the children, the elderly, and the mujahideen, in order to challenge the Zionist bombing machine. It is as if they were saying to the Zionist enemy, ‘We desire death like you desire life.’”

Hamas used this tactic to provoke two wars with Israel in which their fighters fired rockets from civilian areas, including hospitals, schools and mosques. When Israel responded, it tried its best to avoid civilian casualties, dropping warning leaflets, calling residents of potential targets and dropping non-lethal noise bombs on the roofs of houses that were being used to launch rockets and store explosives. Inevitably, some civilians were killed, and the media blamed Israel for these deaths, despite the precautions it had taken.

The same was true when Hamas built terror tunnels used to kidnap Israeli civilians. The entrances to these tunnels were in civilian areas as well, including mosques and schools. Using their own civilians as human shields, while targeting Israeli civilians, is a double war crime. Yet, the media generally focuses on the reaction of Israel to these war crimes, rather than the war crimes of Hamas.

The cruel reality is that every time Israel accidentally kills a Gaza civilian, Israel loses. And every time Israel kills a Gaza civilian, Hamas wins. Israelis grieve every civilian death its army accidentally causes. Hamas benefits from every death Israel accidentally causes. That is why it encourages its women and children to become martyrs.

Calling this the “dead baby strategy” may seem cruel because it is cruel. But don’t blame the messenger for accurately describing this tactic. Blame those who cynically use it. Blame the media for playing into the hands of those who use it by reporting only the body count and not the deliberate Hamas tactic that leads to one-sided body counts.

It is true that Gaza is in a desperate situation and that it is wounded. But the wound itself is self-inflicted. When Israel ended its occupation of Gaza, removing every single soldier and settler, the territory could have become the Singapore on the Mediterranean Sea. It is a beautiful area with a large seacoast. It received infusions of cash and other help from Europe. Israel left behind agricultural equipment and hot houses.

But instead of using these resources to feed, house and educate its citizens, Hamas built rockets, terror tunnels and Molotov cocktails. It threw dissenters off the roof and murdered members of the Palestinian Authority who were willing to recognize Israel and negotiate with it. Hamas rejects the two-state solution or any solution that leaves Israel intact. The only solution for it is violence, and the events at the fence these past days are a manifestation of that violence.

Would any country in the world allow 40,000 people, sworn to its destruction, to knock down a border fence and attack its citizens living peacefully near the border? Of course not. Could Israel have done more to reduce casualties among those trying to breach the border fence? I don’t know, and neither do the legions of armchair generals who are criticizing Israel for the steps it took to prevent a catastrophe among the residents of Kibbutzim and towns that are proximate to the border fence.

One thing is crystal clear: Hamas will continue to use the ”dead baby strategy” as long as the media continues to report the deaths in the manner in which it has reported them in recent weeks. Many in the media are complicit in these deaths because their one-sided reporting encourages Hamas to send innocent women and children to the front line. Perhaps Israel could do a better job of defending its civilians but it is certain that the media can do a better job of accurately reporting the Hamas strategy that results in so many innocent deaths.

There is a marvelous cartoon that illustrates the difference between Hamas and Israel. It shows an Israeli soldier standing in front of a stroller with a baby in it, shielding the baby. Then it shows a Hamas terrorist standing behind a stroller with the baby in it, using the baby to shield him. This cartoon better illustrates the reality that is occurring at the Gaza fence than most of the “objective” reporting by the media.

Last edited by movielib; 05-16-18 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-16-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on, they're fighting terrorists, so some collateral damage is ok.
Old 05-16-18, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's interesting to see people siding with Hamas on this one.
Old 05-16-18, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
It's interesting to see people siding with child killers on this one.
Old 05-16-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I'm not siding with anyone, I just feel bad when I see kids getting killed. Maybe that's just me.
Old 05-16-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, I'm not siding with anyone, I just feel bad when I see kids getting killed. Maybe that's just me.
Yep. What is most telling is those who pick "sides".
Old 05-16-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It's interesting to see it's no longer eXcentris against the world like 10 years ago.
Old 05-16-18, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Originally Posted by whaaat View Post
It's interesting to see people siding with child killers on this one.
Gentlemen, we're going to have to leave it there. Thank you for being our guests on The Complexities of Modern Tragedy. Coming up next: your local forecast.
Old 05-16-18, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is true that Gaza is in a desperate situation and that it is wounded. But the wound itself is self-inflicted. When Israel ended its occupation of Gaza, removing every single soldier and settler, the territory could have become the Singapore on the Mediterranean Sea. It is a beautiful area with a large seacoast. It received infusions of cash and other help from Europe. Israel left behind agricultural equipment and hot houses.
This is a good example of why I don't fully believe anything I read about the area.

Israel left behind agricultural equipment and hot houses, but I remember that Israel did not leave spare parts, technical manuals, or any knowledge about how to run or maintain these sophisticated facilities.

It may have a large seacoast, but Israel blockaded Gaza. That makes it hard to get spare parts, even if you know what you need.

No wonder their high-tech agricultural equipment and hot houses failed.

In the version of facts that Movielib quoted, those dirty Arabs were given for free all this stuff, but they were more interested in sacrificing their own babies than joining the civilized world.

Who am I to believe?
Old 05-16-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

Well. Hamas is the de facto government in Gaza now,so most being members of Hamas isn't surprising. I don't believe that a lot of the protestors especially those directly attacking the fence are innocent.

Let's step back a second though. If the US hadn't moved it's embassy to Jerusalem then I would guess that the fatalities would be much less.

Also Israel had air strikes against 11 Hamas targets in Gaza, so Israel is doing more than just defending the fence.

Really neither side is innocent,imo.
Old 05-16-18, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fucking shady ass shit...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.