Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 01-05-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
According to this tweet, the media needs to learn how to win an election.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...87555660500992
"No collusion! No collusion! But Hillary!"
Old 01-05-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Official Trump Presidency Thread Part 2 - Steve Bannon Drama & Wolff Book Drama

I wonder if the WH staff are even aware of this app

Old 01-05-18, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I still have no idea how that administration let Wolff hang around the White House, let alone how all these people agreed to speak on record about all this stuff. It's unbelievable. And this is a guy writing a book, what if this were a spy or someone who actually wanted to manipulate things?
Old 01-05-18, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I still have no idea how that administration let Wolff hang around the White House, let alone how all these people agreed to speak on record about all this stuff. It's unbelievable. And this is a guy writing a book, what if this were a spy or someone who actually wanted to manipulate things?
I bet Trump ate it up and let his ego assume that the book would be a daring tale of adventure and winning.
Old 01-05-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Even if they didn't know and consent, they are still fair game. If David Jolly is correct (I have no reason to think he isn't, but I haven't looked into it myself), in DC and New York, as long as one party to the conversation (i.e., Wolff) consents to taping, it's legal to tape regardless of the other party's knowledge or consent.
Yep, that's how it is in Iowa and Minnesota (my journalism experience sometimes comes in handy!) There are only like 11-12 states where both parties need to be in the know.

One party consent should always be the way it is, if you ask me.
Old 01-05-18, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And it's a phony book. Like those props they put on the shelves in Ikea stores.
Old 01-05-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Yep, that's how it is in Iowa and Minnesota (my journalism experience sometimes comes in handy!) There are only like 11-12 states where both parties need to be in the know.

One party consent should always be the way it is, if you ask me.
I'm curious, besides being a reporter, why you think that one party consent should be all that's needed?
Old 01-05-18, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm curious, besides being a reporter, why you think that one party consent should be all that's needed?
Well most of my opinions on the subject stem from my experience in journalism, but in general I don't think that you should say things you don't want "repeated". Going "off the record" is important and that should be respected, but I want to be able to record the Comcast guy too if he won't let me cancel and not get sued because I didn't get his permission.

Bottom line is I think it's a powerful tool that the "underdog" can use to even the playing field.

Last edited by Draven; 01-05-18 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-05-18, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just bought my e-copy.

Trump says the whole thing is lies, and because he lies constantly, he's probably the best one to know one when he sees one.
Old 01-05-18, 11:58 AM
Admin-Thanos

Even if they didn't know and consent, they are still fair game. If David Jolly is correct (I have no reason to think he isn't, but I haven't looked into it myself), in DC and New York, as long as one party to the conversation (i.e., Wolff) consents to taping, it's legal to tape regardless of the other party's knowledge or consent.
David Jolly is from my neck of the woods here in Flori-DUH. He has no reason to lie about this in my opinion. He's a Republican, so he has nothing to gain by this. He was the Congressman from St Pete who lost to former FL Governor Charlie Crist.
Old 01-05-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
David Jolly is from my neck of the woods here in Flori-DUH. He has no reason to lie about this in my opinion. He's a Republican, so he has nothing to gain by this. He was the Congressman from St Pete who lost to former FL Governor Charlie Crist.
I don't think he's lying. I just haven't looked at the statutes myself, and for all I know, Jolly is mistaken about the law in New York. I assume he's not, but I'm not in a position to vouch for the accuracy of his statement.
Old 01-05-18, 12:07 PM
Admin-Thanos

I wonder if the WH staff are even aware of this app

That is a Deep State app used by the Fake News media for lies.
Old 01-05-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think he's lying. I just haven't looked at the statutes myself, and for all I know, Jolly is mistaken about the law in New York. I assume he's not, but I'm not in a position to vouch for the accuracy of his statement.
Link

In addition to federal law, thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia have adopted "one-party consent" laws and permit individuals to record phone calls and conversations to which they are a party or when one party to the communication consents.
Eleven states require the consent of every party to a phone call or conversation in order to make the recording lawful. These "two-party consent" laws have been adopted in California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Washington.
Old 01-05-18, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Amazon review yet of Fire and Fury

Old 01-05-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trump was known for allegedly recording interactions with people during his career in business, so he should know the lay of the land here. Also, he threatened Comey with "tapes," only to later admit he was full of it, so there's some nice poetic justice to all of this.
Old 01-05-18, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting...

Vice President Mike Pence's chief lawyer and domestic policy director are leaving his office at the beginning of the New Year, according to four sources familiar with the staff turnover.
Jumping a sinking ship?
Old 01-05-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They certainly do seem to have a hard time keeping "the best" people.
Old 01-05-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Best Amazon review yet of Fire and Fury

The reviews are often the best "feature" on amazon...
Old 01-05-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Interesting...

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/949334772475748353

Jumping a sinking ship?
Too early to tell. But so far none of the excerpts from Wolff's book involve Pence.
Old 01-05-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I'm just well versed in Dutch law, we have one party consent so I might be able to answer somewhat.

The thing with no party consent is that you are then eavesdropping. With one party consent, you are "just" recording with what the other party was consenting you would hear. You are basically recording every conversation in your memory. Recording something on paper, on tape or digitally, is just having "hearing" aides in a way.

Remember that recording is not the same as publishing. You may record conversations that the speaker was agreeing you would hear, but that does not mean it is okay to publish said conversations; it just makes the recording legal. To subpoena recorded materials is materially no different to ask for a witness to testify (i.e. we get to know from the witness what the suspect told the witness to his face), but comes with much more reliability.
Old 01-05-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Too early to tell. But so far none of the excerpts from Wolff's book involve Pence.
Wolff's book is just the tip of the iceshit-berg.
Old 01-05-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

When I was a reporter (in Iowa, a one-party consent state), I would record a lot of interviews so that my quotes would be more accurate than if I was typing/jotting things down. I would usually only let the other party know it was being recorded if I might end up using the audio for something (which was rare).
Old 01-05-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tillerson says he's 'never questioned' Trump's mental fitness

Do you think he never questioned it because he always knew that Trump was unfit? Saying you "never question" something doesn't actually tell people how you think about it. I never question that magic doesn't make things drop, because I know how gravity works.
Old 01-05-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Tillerson says he's 'never questioned' Trump's mental fitness

Do you think he never questioned it because he always knew that Trump was unfit? Saying you "never question" something doesn't actually tell people how you think about it. I never question that magic doesn't make things drop, because I know how gravity works.
First thing I thought of as well. What is there to question? Dude's batshit crazy; everyone know's that without question.
Old 01-05-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Trump being the unstable and mentally insane person that he allegedly is, I find it interesting he's managed to keep the country moving right along. WWIII has not happened. The stock market has not plummeted. The Climate Change Believers are still threatening the end of civilization.

Anyway, Trump kinda (ok, maybe a lot) reminds me of a retail manager: Insane and outright nuts...but does have the amazing capability of moving the business forward with their extended hours of labor and interest in fixing problems (although many a time creating more problems than they wanted to fix).

Trump has performed terribly as a hiring manager, however. His picks were just bad. I don't know if he was told to choose those people or if he did it himself, but regardless, he's the President and he is ultimately responsible for choosing his own staff.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.