Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Old 04-11-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

re: Official Trump Presidency Thread, Part 2

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Much of the bad blood with Russia is caused by the Fake &amp; Corrupt Russia Investigation, headed up by the all Democrat loyalists, or people that worked for Obama. Mueller is most conflicted of all (except Rosenstein who signed FISA &amp; Comey letter). No Collusion, so they go crazy!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/984053549742067712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 11, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The mind. It boggles.
Old 04-11-18, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
And here we were told that Trump wouldn’t tweet us into war. I’m starting to think we shouldn’t have elected a reality TV has-been with zero understanding of politics or diplomacy to be President.
But he tells it like it is!
DVD Talk Hero

And to think we came thisclose to electing a woman who once kept sensitive State Department emails in a private server in 2009. Dodged a bullet there! Good job America!

I guess it's too much to ask for him to stop Tweeting and perhaps do some work. Have a meeting or Two. Hold a press conference. ANYTHING.
Old 04-11-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who is he gonna meet with? The WH is basically empty at this point other than interns.
Old 04-11-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Man, his tweets are off the rails since the Cohen raid.

So the bad blood is from the council, not cause you (the President) just tweeted that we're gonna hail smart missiles at Syria, regardless of what Russia thinks?

If you're a general (or whoever actually makes the call) and you get a call from this lunatic saying to start firing all missiles, do you comply?
One consistent thing about this thread is that there are weekly comments stating Trump’s tweets are “off the rails since _________” His comments have been off the rails for years now.
Old 04-11-18, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Who is he gonna meet with? The WH is basically empty at this point other than interns.
Janitors. Or are they gone as well?
Old 04-11-18, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Janitors. Or are they gone as well?
I mean, would you want to clean up THAT much urine and fake tanner?
Old 04-11-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Speaker Paul Ryan is a truly good man, and while he will not be seeking re-election, he will leave a legacy of achievement that nobody can question. We are with you Paul!</p>&mdash; Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) <a href="https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/984066131303583746?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 11, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 04-11-18, 09:12 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

It seems like a high number of people retiring
But it’s a normal Stable white house
Old 04-11-18, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
Wow, Ryan will not seek re-election...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/11/polit...ker/index.html

Sooo much winning...
Wow. Just as was said before he took the Speaker position, this will most likely put an end to his presidential aspirations.

I always thought Ryan was one of the good conservatives and I could see myself voting for him in a presidential election. That thought obviously went out the window now that he's shown hi true colors in the past 2 years but there was a time...
Old 04-11-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Then we dodged a bullet.
Old 04-11-18, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

These cowardly GOP shits...

A cowardly anonymous Republican congressman privately goes in on Trump to Erick Erickson, of all people.

"If we're going to lose because of him, we might as well impeach the motherf**ker," said the congressman...

"It's like Forrest Gump won the presidency, but an evil, really f*cking stupid Forrest Gump. He can't help himself. He's just a f**king idiot who thinks he's winning when people are b*tching about him. He really does see the world as ratings and attention. I hate Forrest Gump. I listen to your podcast and heard you hate it too. What an overrated piece of sh*t movie. Can you believe it beat the Shawshank Redemption?"
You know they all feel this way... now how long before they act on it?
Old 04-11-18, 09:38 AM
Banned by request

Gee, maybe you shouldn’t defend him on TV if that’s how you really feel. Fucking party over country asswipes.
Old 04-11-18, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fucking party over country asswipes.

The real traitors of the USA.
Old 04-11-18, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know we're on to exchanging missiles with Syria and Russia, but on tariffs...

An article about how the Obama adminstration's tariff hurt Hemlock semiconductor (I have a buddy and his girlfriend that both worked there).

Disclaimer, I guess? I worked directly or indirectly for Dow Chemical for like 15 years which was a part owner of the joint venture. More than that, Midland is kind of a one-company town - Hemlock SC is like one of the only big employers in the area that isn't Dow Chemical or Corning themselves. When the Hemlock jobs vanished, decent paying awful factory jobs, there wasn't a lot of decent higher paying jobs to replace them. My wife's cousin also worked there (he got laid off during the period the article talks about).

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...#disqus_thread

The only U.S. polysilicon supplier is still reeling

Some clipped out pieces:
In 2012, though, several U.S. solar panel makers, including Oregon-based SolarWorld, lobbied the U.S. Commerce Department to impose tariffs on China over claims it was dumping its panels in the U.S. at below-cost to unfairly grab market share.

In April 2012, Dow Corning and Hemlock announced they were opposed to such tariffs. "We believe that the trade case brought against Chinese solar manufacturers by SolarWorld could undermine the solar industry's significant progress at the very moment it is poised for success," said Dow Corning President and CEO Robert Hansen.

That May, though, the U.S. decided to impose tariffs averaging 31 percent on Chinese solar products.

Hemlock's Tennessee plant did officially open in 2012, but because of worries over a possible response by China, no chemicals were ever inventoried there and no product was made.

China announced a tariff of 50 percent on U.S. polysilicon imports beginning in 2014, effectively halting Hemlock exports there. Chinese manufacturers replaced their supply of polysilicon with material from two other large global suppliers, Wacker Chemie AG of Germany and the Tokuyama Group of Japan.

In December 2014, Hemlock shut the Tennessee plant down and laid off its 50 workers. Hundreds more were laid off in Hemlock. Employment there is now about 1,500, down from a peak of about 2,200. While Hemlock doesn't release revenue figures, reliable estimates are that its revenue has fallen from about $2 billion a year before the Chinese tariffs to about $1.5 billion now.

The implementation of tariffs on Chinese solar panels had no direct benefit to us," said Bassett. "Frankly, the tariffs enacted by China were devastating to Hemlock. We built that plant in Tennessee on the assumption we'd have access to world markets, and we had to immediately shut that plant down and lay off hundreds of people."

"There are unintended consequences of trade wars. Once they start, you don't know where they will end," said Lindsay Aspegren, a co-founder of North Coast Technology Investors LP, which has an office in Midland and has long followed Hemlock.

Bassett said he is hopeful that trade talks between the Trump administration and China can reduce or eliminate tariffs on Chinese solar panels and Hemlock's polysilicon. "We continue to have a dialogue with the U.S. Trade Representative Ambassador Robert Lighthizer and his team about the best way to ease tariffs."
Old 04-11-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tabletopjoe View Post
I guess it's too much to ask for him to stop Tweeting and perhaps do some work. Have a meeting or Two. Hold a press conference. ANYTHING.
I'd rather have him tweeting than actually making decisions, personally.
Old 04-11-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Love seeing Lou Dobbs step in a big pile of shit.

Old 04-11-18, 11:50 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

The twitter way back machine is gold.
Old 04-11-18, 11:52 AM

I can imagine him calling John Kelley "dopey" in staff meetings.
Old 04-11-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Love seeing Lou Dobbs step in a big pile of shit.

https://twitter.com/LouDobbs/status/983485475599126528
A bit sarcastic rather than real question but who are these people aligned to? The "corrupt leadership" they keep referring to are also Republicans.
Old 04-11-18, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I can imagine him calling John Kelley "dopey" in staff meetings.
And Kelly standing with his arms folded looking at the ground when he said it.

Old 04-11-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
Also, can you give us a ballpark ETA on this long-awaited awesome reckoning? I can pencil in a pizza party.
Apologies for not acknowledging this part the other day.

To answer the question, it started a while back and is only going to accelerate.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">ANOTHER GOP REP RETIRING. THIRD THIS WEEK.<br><br>SO STRANGE <a href="https://t.co/KEMu36kkVP">https://t.co/KEMu36kkVP</a></p>&mdash; Eric Garland (@ericgarland) <a href="https://twitter.com/ericgarland/status/984091499586576384?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 11, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

A steady stream of retirements and resignations, are just one (small) indicator- but they at least make for something concrete that can be pointed to right now, that people can wrap their heads around.
Old 04-11-18, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
And here we were told that Trump wouldn’t tweet us into war. I’m starting to think we shouldn’t have elected a reality TV has-been with zero understanding of politics or diplomacy to be President.
How exactly is he tweeting us into war? If anything his bafoonery is doing the opposite, His missile strike is now going to be worthless, What do you think the syrians are doing? the are clearing out so that when his stupid missiles fly they have no effect. Russia is nothing but a bunch of bloviating assholes that will do nothing but watch, do you honestly think for a second they would attack a US ship that launched a strike, 100% zero chance, oh wait but but some ambassador said so. He should have struck right away at syria but the longer he waits the more meaningless it is
Old 04-11-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Yup.

These are the same flag pin wearing, flag burning amendment pushing, dijon mustard criticizing patriots I've been watching the last 30 years.

We are slowly coming to the end of one of the largest, most painful turds this country has had to shit out in over 150 years. But the relief when it finally evacuates is going to feel damn near orgasmic.

For a little while anyway.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 04-11-18 at 01:09 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.