Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Judge gives probation instead of prison to woman who kidnapped and tortured someone

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Judge gives probation instead of prison to woman who kidnapped and tortured someone

Old 12-11-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I already posted this in the racism thread but I think it deserves its own thread.

In January of this year in Chicago, two black men and two black women kidnapped a learning disabled white man, imprisoned him, tortured him, cut off part of his scalp, forced him to drink from the toilet, demanded ransom from his parents, and posted part of the torture as a video on Facebook. They also called him racial slurs, which puts this into the hate crime category.

Well, one of these scumbags has just been sentenced to probation instead of prison, after spending less than one year in jail. Her name is Brittany Covington. (The other three scumbags – Tesfaye Cooper, Jordan Hill, Tanishia Covington – are still awaiting sentencing.)

Given the horrific kidnapping, imprisonment, violence, and torture that they committed, I think all four of these scumbags should be forced to spend at least several decades in prison.

The fact that Brittany Covington was sentenced to probation instead of prison is inexcusable.

The judge responsible for giving probation instead of a prison sentence to this violent scumbag is Cook County Circuit Judge William Hooks.

Judge Hooks said he could have given her a prison sentence, but chose not to because “I’m not sure if I did that you’d be coming out any better.”

Although prison is referred to as a “correctional facility,” that is not the only reason that we put people who are convicted of violent crimes in prison. We also do it to protect the innocent, as well as to send a message to the guilty that their violent behavior is not to be tolerated.

Judge Hooks is a bigger scumbag than the four scumbags who kidnapped and tortured the learning disabled man.

By not sentencing Brittany Covington to prison, Judge Hooks is giving his approval to what Brittany Covington did. He is saying that what she did is OK. He is saying that what she did is acceptable.

But in the real world, what Brittany Covington did is not OK.

It is not acceptable.

Shame on Judge Hooks.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...208-story.html

Woman pleads guilty to hate crime in beating of disabled teen live on Facebook

December 8, 2017

A Chicago woman who live-streamed video of the racially charged beating of a teen with mental disabilities pleaded guilty Friday to a hate crime and was sentenced to four years of probation.

Calling the incident “horrific,” Cook County Circuit Judge William Hooks banned Covington from social media over the four years, prohibited her from contact with two of her co-defendants and ordered her to do 200 hours of community service.

Hooks told Covington he could have imposed a prison sentence but added, “I’m not sure if I did that you’d be coming out any better.”

Hooks said he hoped the strict terms of probation would put Covington on a more productive life path, but he warned she would face prison time if she violated any of the restrictions.

“Do not mess this up,” Hooks told Covington, who stood quietly in a blue jail uniform with her hands clasped behind her back.

The 19-year-old also pleaded guilty to aggravated battery and intimidation charges. As part of a plea deal, prosecutors dropped additional charges, including kidnapping.

The video, which sparked national outrage, focuses often on Covington’s face. She smokes what appears to be a blunt — a cigar stuffed with marijuana — while narrating some of the action.

Three others were charged in the incident: alleged ringleader Jordan Hill, 19, as well as Tesfaye Cooper, 19, and Covington’s sister, Tanishia, 25. Their cases are still pending.

The video, posted in January, shows the four — who are all African-American — cutting the 18-year-old white victim's scalp with a knife, punching and kicking him and laughing as he was bound and gagged in an apartment on Chicago's West Side.

The gruesome video drew condemnation from many, including then-President Barack Obama. Right-wing pundits used it as a rallying cry, tying it without evidence to the Black Lives Matter movement and blaming permissive policing.

Among the abuse seen on the Facebook video, prosecutors have said, is one of the women laughing as she punches the teen; a male foot on the victim's head; the teen groaning in pain as a male pulls a cord around his neck; and the victim screaming in fear when a male approaches with a knife, saying, "Should I shank his a--?"

At one point, prosecutors said, Hill and Cooper ordered the victim into a bathroom and forced him to drink water from the toilet.

The teen was bound and gagged, a sock placed in his mouth and his lips taped shut. With the knife, Hill then cut a chunk of the victim's hair, cutting his head, and stabbed him in the left forearm, prosecutors have said.

The victim, who prosecutors said has schizophrenia and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, was able to flee the building when the four co-defendants left the apartment to confront neighbors who had complained about the noise, prosecutors have said.

He was treated at a hospital for cuts to his head, face and body as well as a stab wound to his left arm, authorities said.
Old 12-11-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Judge gives probation instead of prison to woman who kidnapped and tortured someo

The gruesome video drew condemnation from many, including then-President Barack Obama. Right-wing pundits used it as a rallying cry, tying it without evidence to the Black Lives Matter movement and blaming permissive policing.
So this is why it's national news. Someone with an axe to grind is using it to promote their agenda.
Old 12-11-17, 11:12 AM
Political Exile

Re: Judge gives probation instead of prison to woman who kidnapped and tortured someo

Any video that goes viral becomes a news item, I think half of the morning shows news staff just checks trending videos on Facebook and YouTube and calls it a day. They spent 10 minutes this morning on a viral video a mom made of her kid crying that he's being bullied at school.
Old 12-11-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
So this is why it's national news. Someone with an axe to grind is using it to promote their agenda.
Asking questions of why torturing a handicapped person apparently gets the punishment of merely a probation sentence...is not promoting an agenda.
Old 12-11-17, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Hooks told Covington he could have imposed a prison sentence but added, “I’m not sure if I did that you’d be coming out any better.”
Is that really a valid reason not to jail someone? Does jail ever really make anyone better?
Old 12-11-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Any video that goes viral becomes a news item, I think half of the morning shows news staff just checks trending videos on Facebook and YouTube and calls it a day. They spent 10 minutes this morning on a viral video a mom made of her kid crying that he's being bullied at school.
That video has gotten international attention and has a slew of celebrities responding and promoting it. Hardly "checking trending videos". You'd have to be living in a cave to have missed that story.
Old 12-11-17, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Is that really a valid reason not to jail someone? Does jail ever really make anyone better?
It's more a sad statement on the sad state of our penal system, which I believe used to include the notion of 'rehabilitation' in its mission.

Now it's assumed if you go to jail you're going to come out worse than when you went in.
Old 12-11-17, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Asking questions of why torturing a handicapped person apparently gets the punishment of merely a probation sentence...is not promoting an agenda.
Yes, that's a dramatic story. But I heard about the abduction before the inappropriate sentence.

---------------------------

I just looked it up and read an actual news story from January. Now I get it. Here's the lede.

FOX 32 NEWS - Chicago investigators are questioning four African-Americans after a Facebook Live video shows a group of people torturing a white mentally disabled man while someone yelled "F*** Trump!" and "F*** white people!"
http://www.fox32chicago.com/news/cri...-facebook-live

A Google search for "homeless person tortured" returns a lot of different incidents. Have any of those other stories been picked up by the right wing blogosphere?
Old 12-11-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

I think posting the torture live on the internet was an egregious enough act to differentiate this case from all the other incidents of homeless abuse. And it certainly warrants more than probation.
Old 12-11-17, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post

It's national news because of the horrifying depravity of the crime, the complete helplessmess and innocence of the victim, and the fact that the perpetrators put it on Facebook.

This was covered by every mainstream news sources - not just the right wing ones.

Even the President - who was left wing Obama at the time - commented on it.
Old 12-11-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post

Some people do indeed choose to reform themselves while inside "correctional facilities." But no one can accurately predict who will come out better and who won't. I don't think a judge - or anyone else for that matter - is capable of accurately making such a prediction.
Old 12-12-17, 03:11 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
That video has gotten international attention and has a slew of celebrities responding and promoting it. Hardly "checking trending videos". You'd have to be living in a cave to have missed that story.
This is what happens with viral celebrities...

Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom’s Confederate Flag Photos Surface

Old 12-12-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post

Apparently, there is disagreement as to whether or not a child should be held responsible for the bad things that the child's parent does.

My take is that anyone who blames the child is an idiot.

I like this from Patton Oswalt:

"Keaton didn’t get to choose the family that raised & shaped him, you smug ghoul. How ‘bout showing him that people of all races & creeds can come together? Change things, maybe? Show him a better world?"

"But the Punched Nazi was a grown man who'd dug in on his slimy world view despite years of wider life experience. Keaton's a little kid -- his family hasn't allowed him any real perspective yet. Maybe try to stop Keaton from growing up to be a Punched Nazi?"