Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Why is America so fascinated by the British royalty and monarchy?

Old 11-27-17, 11:10 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Why is America so fascinated by the British royalty and monarchy?

So, i am home sick today. sick as a dog, i tell ya'.

anyway, watching the 12pm (EST) news and first story, breaking news...Prince Harry is getting married! why would that be top story? why so fascinated for so long with the British royalty and the monarchy they preside over, supposedly?
Old 11-27-17, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Why is America so fascinated by the British royalty and monarchy?

I don't know. I used to work in a magazine shop, and we sold a monthly magazine that was entirely about the doings of British royalty. I asked a customer who bought every issue why she was so fascinated by it, and she couldn't tell me.
Old 11-27-17, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Women mostly love this stuff, as my mom is fascinated going all the way back to Princess Diana wedding in the early 80's.
Old 11-27-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And was it a thing before Diana? Did we only start to care when there was an attractive person coming into that family?
Old 11-27-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Americans are obsessed with celebrity, wealth and privilege. The royal family is like a real life reality show unfolding in the tabloids.
Old 11-27-17, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Americans are obsessed with celebrity, wealth and privilege. The royal family is like a real life reality show unfolding in the tabloids.
Bingo!

Why is this in Politics?
Old 11-27-17, 11:53 AM

well, there is not too much scandal to the family, is there? would the tabloids sell copies without controversy?
Old 11-27-17, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
Bingo!

Why is this in Politics?
where would you put it? i figured it was kinda about government and certainly international news...
Old 11-27-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
And was it a thing before Diana? Did we only start to care when there was an attractive person coming into that family?
In 1860, Prince Albert Edward (the future King Edward VII) staged a surprisingly successful American tour, during which he was mobbed by fans in cities including Chicago, Albany and Detroit. In 1939, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth made similar headlines when they ate their first hot dogs in Hyde Park, New York, urged on by President Roosevelt and his wife, Eleanor.
http://theconversation.com/why-do-am...-royalty-39038

Old 11-27-17, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a British ex. We met online 20 years ago and I visited her in England in 1999. Until I met her, and began corresponding with other Britishers, it didn't register with me how many of them are either anti-royalist or just sort of *meh* about the monarchy. I think the only reason it hasn't gone completely out of fashion is that the tourism generated by having a royal family props Britain up economically.

Older Brits, like my ex's parents, feel completely differently about the royal family, but most of their children and grandchildren are just sort of neutral in my experience.
Old 11-27-17, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been a thing for a long time. My mom watched the coronation of Elizabeth II on TV in Chicago, and was about 1951.
Old 11-27-17, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes and no as I am speaking from an American perspective. My mom also loved Jackie Kennedy, as she looked her and JFK as American Royalty (Camelot as the media called them at the time). What does Jackie and Diana have in common? Beauty and grace she would say. I think there were a section of people that cared about Queen Elizabeth before Diana, but Diana brought it to another level.
Old 11-27-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
It's been a thing for a long time. My mom watched the coronation of Elizabeth II on TV in Chicago, and was about 1951.
I agree. I'm fascinated with British culture/history in general and have been since a child in the 70's. I've said before BritComs on PBS had a lot to do with that. The Royals are a natural extension of this.

I also think for many Americans Britain is like a cousin, a distant part of the family. There is natural attraction to them and the similar but not similar culture.
Old 11-27-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
If you think about that year 1951, we have had President Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump, and she is STILL Queen.
Old 11-27-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
I also think for many Americans Britain is like a cousin, a distant part of the family. There is natural attraction to them and the similar but not similar culture.
Old 11-27-17, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
If you think about that year 1951, we have had President Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump, and she is STILL Queen.
Meanwhile, Charles is almost 70 and is still waiting for the crown. He’s not going to get a long reign (though his dad is still alive at 96, so he may be long-lived).
Old 11-27-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Meanwhile, Charles is almost 70 and is still waiting for the crown. He’s not going to get a long reign (though his dad is still alive at 96, so he may be long-lived).
The one rumor I read is that she won't give up the crown to Charles because he and his siblings pissed on the monarchy by getting divorced and creating bad publicity in the past 20-25 years?
Old 11-27-17, 01:17 PM
Admin-Thanos

The one rumor I read is that she won't give up the crown to Charles because he and his siblings pissed on the monarchy by getting divorced and creating bad publicity in the past 20-25 years?
Is it really up to the queen when she dies? Obviously some say yes.
Old 11-27-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was mistaken on the date. It was 1953.

Elizabeth isn't the only one with a long reign. Since 1760, Britain has been ruled 73% of the time by just three monarchs: George III, Victoria, and Elizabeth II.
Old 11-27-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Like Edward VII and the long reign of his mother Queen Victoria.
Old 11-27-17, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

The Prince Harry thing is more newsworthy to us for several reasons..

He's engaged to Meghan Markle who:

1) Is American
2) Is of a mixed race (Black Mother and White Father)
3) Raised Catholic (Protestant is the family religion of the Queen)
4) She's an actress
5) She's divorced

Any of those, except for #4, would be something that probably 30 years ago would have doomed any chance of this happening. Now it seems like the monarchy is much more accepting.

However Harry has little chance of ever becoming King so there's not really that much risk of her ever becoming Queen (I don't think she can anyway.. I think you need to be born into the Royal family. She'll probably be "Duchess" forever..).
Old 11-27-17, 01:26 PM
Admin-Thanos

This is really the best explanation. I will say there's an added element of history since the US was once ruled by the UK. So we do share history together.

It's interesting to think what North America would look like if the 13 colonies never broke away from GB.

Old 11-27-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Considering what we have in the USA now perhaps we would be better off back under the Queen.
Old 11-27-17, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since my mom is British, I grew up in a household where lots of time was devoted to the Royal Family...and also the dentist.
Old 11-27-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
The Prince Harry thing is more newsworthy to us for several reasons..

He's engaged to Meghan Markle who:

1) Is American
2) Is of a mixed race (Black Mother and White Father)
3) Raised Catholic (Protestant is the family religion of the Queen)
4) She's an actress
5) She's divorced

Any of those, except for #4, would be something that probably 30 years ago would have doomed any chance of this happening. Now it seems like the monarchy is much more accepting.

However Harry has little chance of ever becoming King so there's not really that much risk of her ever becoming Queen (I don't think she can anyway.. I think you need to be born into the Royal family. She'll probably be "Duchess" forever..).
She has an interesting ancestry:
Research compiled in 1997 by historians including Markle's great-uncle, Mike Markle, revealed that her paternal great-great-great-grandmother was New Hampshire landowner Mary Hussey Smith (1823–1908), a direct descendant of nobleman John Hussey, 1st Baron Hussey of Sleaford, who was beheaded in 1537 at the order of King Henry VIII. Through Lord Hussey, Markle is a descendant of King John. Markle is also a descendant of Captain Christopher Hussey, Esquire (d.1686) who was appointed in 1679 by King Charles II to govern the Royal Province of Hampton, New Hampshire. He was a Founding Father of Nantucket.

Markle is a distant relation of Prince Harry. Their common ancestors are Elizabeth Bowes (1505– c.1572) and her husband, Richard Bowes, son of Sir Ralph Bowes of Streatlam Castle and High Sheriff of County Durham – ancestors of Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (née Bowes-Lyon).

Markle’s paternal grandfather, Gordon Arnold Markle, was descended from Abraham Merckel (1630–1698) of Alsace.

Markle's maternal great-great-great grandfather was a slave on Georgia plantations before being emancipated with the abolition of slavery in 1865.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meghan_Markle

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.