Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Tony Podesta, former GOP congressman (foreign lobbying) focus of Robert Mueller

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 11-04-17, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This did not seem to fit in the Russia Wacky? thread or The Official Trump Presidency Thread - let me know and I will move it there.

The AP story seems to confirm that this foreign lobbying has become Mueller’s focus, at the very end it notes, “Separately, Mueller has an ongoing investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn on similar allegations related to lobbying work…” No surprise but focus is on lobbying work.

Special counsel Robert Mueller’s grand jury is investigating a prominent Democratic lobbyist and a former GOP congressman for their involvement in an influence campaign on behalf of Ukrainian interests tied to Paul Manafort, according to a person with direct knowledge of the investigation.

At the center of the widening probe are Tony Podesta, a longtime Democratic operative, and Vin Weber, a former GOP congressman and leader of his own high-powered lobbying firm, Mercury LLC. The two men were hired as part of a multimillion-dollar lobbying effort directed by Manafort and longtime associate Rick Gates.

With the emphasis on the Ukrainian lobbying efforts, Mueller’s criminal probe is moving beyond investigating ties between the Trump campaign and Russia and is aggressively pursuing people who worked as foreign agents without registering with the Justice Department. More witnesses are expected before the grand jury in coming weeks.

Representatives for Weber’s firm and Podesta said they are cooperating with the special counsel’s investigation. Podesta, whose brother was the chairman of Hillary Clinton’s campaign, has resigned from his firm.
FBI agents working for Mueller are asking witnesses about meetings between Gates, Podesta and Weber to discuss the lobbying work in detail and any communication with representatives of a pro-Russian Ukrainian political party, according to two people familiar with the interviews who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the investigation.
Continue with AP News story link here

I looked (maybe it was posted?) that on Monday Podesta stepped down from his lobbying firm after the indictment charging Manafort showed he had hired the Podesta Group “Company B” to lobby under the ultimate direction of the Ukrainian president, his party and the Ukrainian government.

Democratic power lobbyist Tony Podesta, founder of the Podesta Group, is stepping down from the firm that bears his name after coming under investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller.

Podesta’s decision to leave the firm came on the same day that former Donald Trump campaign aides Paul Manafort and Rick Gates were indicted on multiple charges, including money laundering, operating as federal agents of the Ukrainian government, failing to disclose overseas bank accounts and making false statements to federal authorities. Trump campaign foreign policy advisor George Papadopoulos pleaded guilty earlier this month for lying to the FBI about his contacts with Russian officials, according to court records.

Special prosecutor looks at Minnesotan Vin Weber

A southwest Minnesota native and ex-congressman, who at 65 is known as a Washington "super lobbyist," apparently is in the sights of a grand jury looking into a Russian connection to the Trump for president campaign. Vin Weber, a Republican, is being examined for his involvement in work on behalf of Ukrainian interests
I'm not sure many know much about Vin Weber his name did not ring a bell with me until I searched and was reminded of the House banking scandal "Rubber Gate" in 1992.

Last edited by mspmms; 11-04-17 at 10:43 AM. Reason: link fix
Old 11-04-17, 11:38 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Re: Tony Podesta, former GOP congressman (foreign lobbying) focus of Robert Mueller

Everyone who was involved in that mess needs to be rounded up, I don't care about their party affiliation.
Old 11-04-17, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Tony Podesta, former GOP congressman (foreign lobbying) focus of Robert Mueller

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Everyone who was involved in that mess needs to be rounded up, I don't care about their party affiliation.
Old 11-04-17, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
This did not seem to fit in the Russia Wacky? thread or The Official Trump Presidency Thread - let me know and I will move it there.
Maybe we could have an umbrella 'Mueller investigation' thread and move everything into that? Seems like a lot of work, so let me know what you think.
Old 11-04-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Way too much effort to move everything. But having a separate thread for the Mueller investigation henceforth would be a good thing.
Old 11-04-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Take all of the scum down and set precedence for future idiots to not try the same thing.
Old 11-04-17, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Way too much effort to move everything. But having a separate thread for the Mueller investigation henceforth would be a good thing.
Old 11-04-17, 06:06 PM
Admin-Thanos

Whatever it takes to root out the Russian influence on our democracy, I'm for it. I don't care if you have a D or an R in front of your name. If you're dirty, you should be going down.
Old 11-05-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mueller is applying renewed pressure on Flynn following his indictment of Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort, three sources familiar with the investigation told NBC News

The investigators are speaking to multiple witnesses in coming days to gain more information surrounding Flynn's lobbying work, including whether he laundered money or lied to federal agents about his overseas contacts, according to three sources familiar with the investigation.
link
Old 11-08-17, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Flynn doesn't seem like a money launderer to me--it seems more like he was accepting money for what he probably considered to be honest work lobbying on the behalf of foreign governments (and violated various laws in doing that work, primarily in the reporting of that work). But I could be wrong. That seems to be more the domain of Manafort and those folks.
Old 11-11-17, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Podesta Group on the verge of shuttering amid ties to Mueller probe

One of Washington's most prominent lobbying firms is on the verge of shuttering after becoming ensnared by special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation.

Kimberley Fritts, the chief executive of the Podesta Group, told employees during a Thursday staff meeting that the firm would cease to exist at the end of the year, according to two sources. Employees were asked to clear out their desks and were told they may not be paid beyond November 15, multiple sources said.

Fritts told the employees the Podesta Group may try to provide health care through the end of the year, according to two people in the meeting.

continued at CNN
Old 11-11-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Somebody buy that man a pizza.
Old 11-12-17, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Somebody buy that man a pizza.
Probably got a lot of time on his hands - maybe a game of Ping Pong?

Old 11-12-17, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not only that but I would imagine Mueller's job is safer if he's rounding up people from both sides of the aisle.
Old 11-12-17, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I would tend to agree. And I would feel much better if he does. Just like sexually inappropriate behavior has gone on in Hollywood for decades and was "normal", the foreign influence in the WH for decades has also been considered normal. Just look at how influential the Saudi government has been, and still is. They got major contracts, and I'd like that investigated.