Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Old 02-21-19, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Well I'll admit I jumped the gun with this one. Silly me for thinking that no black man would put a noose around his own neck to fake a hate crime but here we are. What community will want to back this guy at this point?

the thing is he had everyone convinced. Politicians saw an opportunity to comment. Musicians used him as a symbol of modern day hate towards LGBTQ and Race. and the list goes on...

Then he tries to use the most popular symbol of the MAGA stuff and white power.

Its just a very ridiculous thing. I dont think anything he can say now can justify his reasons. NONE.

his actions speak loud to the poor girl bullied for her transition. To the hispanic boy or girl ridiculed for her race. Its just horrible.
Old 02-21-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well Jussie Smollett staged the attack to promote his career.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...id=mailsignout
Old 02-21-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tyra is here with the official gay reaction:

Old 02-21-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Well Jussie Smollett staged the attack to promote his career.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/celebri...id=mailsignout

good god.
Old 02-21-19, 10:59 AM

Throw the book at him. Not only is it a waste of time and resources, but now real attacks will be looked on with skepticism.
Old 02-21-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To no one's surprise, Trump is already tweeting about this.
Old 02-21-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And this fool paid the guys with a personal check. wtf? what a dummy
Old 02-21-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
And this fool paid the guys with a personal check. wtf? what a dummy
Probably thought the archaic technology wouldn't be traceable like digital payments. Good job, millennial.
Old 02-21-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never heard more details of a case read on the air than I did for this case. A lady (I assume she was a prosecutor) read every single detail of what happened that night. They must be trying to get him to plead guilty because they played their entire hand already. From what I heard, it's an open and closed case. They have financial records, text messages, checks, tons of video. They have pretty much everything that went into the planning and execution of the attack.
Old 02-21-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wasn't there someone at his apartment building who saw a couple of "rednecks" pacing outside the building two hours earlier? That one of them even had a rope?

link
Old 02-21-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I'm all for it but who in their right mind believes the administration/party that gave us Kim Davis, conversion therapy Pence, and the transgender ban would actually do anything beneficial for the LGBT community?
Trump was the guy who supported LGBTQ rights in his speech at the Republican National Convention. It was a weird moment. The TV camera was pointed at the Texas delegation when he said that, and they scowled and didn't clap during the applause moment.

It's a rare thing that Trump promotes something antithetical to his base. He's brought it up before. It's not as if he has any principles that would cause him to take an unpopular stand. I don't know what to make of it.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 02-21-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ran into this article today, and remembered someone here had a for this topic, so here you go! Apparently Martina Navratilova agrees with you:

LGBT Sports Group Drops Martina Navratilova Over Objections to Transgender Athletes

Athlete Ally, a group advocating LGBT inclusion in sports, has severed ties with tennis legend Martina Navratilova despite her longstanding advocacy for gay rights. Her crime? She disagreed with the idea that biological women should be forced to compete with biological men in sports, and especially tennis. To Athlete Ally, this constitutes heresy against transgender identity.

"Martina Navratilova’s recent comments on trans athletes are transphobic, based on a false understanding of science and data, and perpetuate dangerous myths that lead to the ongoing targeting of trans people through discriminatory laws, hateful stereotypes and disproportionate violence," Athlete Ally said in a statement announcing they were severing ties with the openly gay tennis legend.

"As an organization dedicated to addressing root causes of homophobia and transphobia in and through sport, we will only affiliate with those committed to the same goal, and not those who further misinformation or discrimination in any way. Given this, Navratilova has been removed from our Advisory Board and as an Athlete Ally Ambassador, effective immediately," the organization announced on Tuesday.

Navratilova has expressed alarm about the rush to allow biological men to compete with women in women's sports. "You can’t just proclaim yourself a female and be able to compete against women," she tweeted last December. "There must be some standards, and having a penis and competing as a woman would not fit that standard."
Old 02-22-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jussie Smollett's character is being removed from the final 2 episodes of Season 5.

Lee Daniels, Danny Strong, Brett Mahoney, Brian Grazer, Sanaa Hamri, Francie Calfo, and Dennis Hammer released the following statement this morning:

“The events of the past few weeks have been incredibly emotional for all of us. Jussie has been an important member of our Empire family for the past five years and we care about him deeply. While these allegations are very disturbing, we are placing our trust in the legal system as the process plays out. We are also aware of the effects of this process on the cast and crew members who work on our show and to avoid further disruption on set, we have decided to remove the role of ‘Jamal’ from the final two episodes of the season.”
Deadline
Old 02-22-19, 10:46 AM

Well, it is certainly affecting his career!
Old 03-07-19, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/p...st-lgbt-rights

Well looks like the “Cake” case is officially over. Both the Baker and the State have dropped their respective cases.

Recap, Colorado has anti-discrimination laws. The baker refused to make a wedding cake for a gay couple. The state went after the baker. The baker sued the state (lost at every trial) and it landed in the Supreme Court. The SC did NOT rule on the legality of the Colorado law or the Bakers religious right to refuse. Instead ruling the State was “hostile” to the Bakers religious beliefs and sending the case back down.

Today the Colorado anti-discrimination law still stands. To stay in business the Baker (but not wanting to make wedding cakes for gay people) stopped making wedding cakes all together. I do not know if he restarted.
Old 04-17-19, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone remember Aaron Schock? The republican congressman that:

In 2016, a federal grand jury indicted Schock on more than 24 charges, including fraud, filing false income tax returns, and using campaign funds for cars, decorating, and other luxuries.
But earlier this year, all charges against him were dropped in exchange for having to pay back the money to the IRS.
Who also was anti gay marriage and worked against LGBT rights in congress .... well apparently he's reappeared, at Coachella hanging out and making out, with gay guys.

Old 04-17-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Anyone remember Aaron Schock? The republican congressman that:

Who also was anti gay marriage and worked against LGBT rights in congress .... well apparently he's reappeared, at Coachella hanging out and making out, with gay guys.

https://twitter.com/kitwilliamson/st...38716005732352
Those that bark the loudest usually have something to hide
Old 04-17-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't remember him. It looks like he was a young, exciting, and good-looking extremist in 2009, the last decade's AOC.

As for someone outing him at Coachella, it makes me uncomfortable. I've been taught to never out anyone. But some politically-active gays have told me that if a public figure is using his power and influence to oppose gay rights, he should be outed. I think it's a valid point. But I wouldn't want to make that decision.
Old 04-17-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I don't remember him. It looks like he was a young, exciting, and good-looking extremist in 2009, the last decade's AOC.

As for someone outing him at Coachella, it makes me uncomfortable. I've been taught to never out anyone. But some politically-active gays have told me that if a public figure is using his power and influence to oppose gay rights, he should be outed. I think it's a valid point. But I wouldn't want to make that decision.
There was talk about him here, but I don't think he had his own thread. We all were speculating he was gay based on his belt in this picture:

Based on his voting record, he absolutely 1000% deserved to be outed.
Old 04-17-19, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
There was talk about him here, but I don't think he had his own thread. We all were speculating he was gay based on his belt in this picture:

Based on his voting record, he absolutely 1000% deserved to be outed.
Just the belt??
Old 04-17-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The man redid his Congressional office with a Downton Abbey theme. I’d be shocked if he weren’t gay.
Old 04-18-19, 10:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Context of this video:
Earlier, Dave (on the left) asks Ben (on the right) if he would bake a cake for his anniversary party (note: Dave is gay). Ben says no. Dave asks if he'd just show up at least, and Ben says he'd think about it (note: literally anyone on the planet should realize this is code for Nope).

Then this exchange.

Look, I think Dave is a terrible person; he purports to be a "classical liberal" and pushes a "free speech" message, claiming that he just wants healthy, meaningful, polite and civil conversation. Yet he refuses to talk to anyone on the left unless they're willing to agree with him about his favorite coincidentally right-wing or "centrist" issues. Not only that, he offers no challenges to the nonsense his far-right guests tend to spout. He's an irresponsible platformer, is what I mean, and this is well-established by any one of his critics. I'm all for the free exchange of ideas, but Dave clearly is not. The ONLY interview where he truly challenges his guest isthe one he did with the CEO of Patreon, and... it doesn't go well for Dave at all. Aside from Dave's established right-wing billionaire funding, it's fairly obvious why he doesn't bring left-leaning people on; he can't keep up in a real discussion.

BUT... what I'm really saying here is... watching this conversation above... I kinda feel bad for the guy. He's clearly dumb as a sack of hammers, and he can't comprehend that although he thinks Ben is a friend, he is such a useful idiot, so far removed from understanding that Ben despises him and his "behavior" and hides behind the "hate the sin, not the sinner" mantra to avoid real confrontation.

Anyway, this clip is worth a watch. I put it here because it has to do with LGBT acceptance/discussion in general.
Old 04-19-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Be afraid, they're coming for your heterosexuality.

Virginia Pastor EW Jackson Says Pete Buttigieg Would Turn America Into a 'Homocracy'

https://www.newsweek.com/pete-buttig...kening-1400009
Old 04-19-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Be afraid, they're coming for your heterosexuality.

Virginia Pastor EW Jackson Says Pete Buttigieg Would Turn America Into a 'Homocracy'

https://www.newsweek.com/pete-buttig...kening-1400009
That would be AMAZING!
Old 04-23-19, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So this is kind of interesting, and honestly, I don't know how I feel about it at all.

Apparently kids are starting to be drag queens now. Which is so mind-boggling to me, I can't even imagine doing something so damn gay at 9 years old.
But, it seems young gay kids are getting radicalized () by RuPaul's Drag Race, and are wanting to drag it up themselves.

One of them, 9 year old Miss Mae Hem, was invited to perform at a bar in Ohio, and as you can expect, it freaked the fundies out, like HARDCORE. Now a republican legislator in that state wants to:
…expand Ohio’s definition of child endangering to include a performance that suggests a minor is participating in, or simulating, sexual activity that “taken as a whole by the average person applying contemporary standards, appeals to the prurient interest.”
He explains the needed change:
This legislation was created after a performance by a child in a local bar concerned numerous citizens throughout Fairfield County. According to reports, it was discovered that a young child was in a bar performing a provocative sexually explicit dance routine while patrons watched and some even handed the child money. According to reports, the parents were not only in attendance but also promote the child’s performances across Ohio. The performance was portrayed as a charity fundraiser
While there is a strong consensus in the community that this situation is a very bad example of parenting, there were apparently no direct violations of state law or local ordinances during this event. Therefore, the prosecutors were unable to bring charges on the parents or the bar.
You can watch the performance here. I zipped through it, and didn't see anything particularly sexual, just standard drag queen dancing.

Should kids even be in bars at that age? I know I grew up tagging along with my mom to bars in po-dunk counties of wisconsin, so I don't find it particularly strange, but I'm sure some do.
I suppose if we are going to say kids can be trans at that age, then being drag queens isn't that much of a stretch. I dunno ... the more I think about it, I'm coming to the conclusion that if that's what the kid really wants to do, he should be supported, but maybe bars aren't the best venue for that? Unfortunately, that's where the majority of drag shows occur.

It does make me wonder though ... there was nothing even CLOSE to as gay as Drag Race on TV when I grew up ... I imagine having such a positive reinforcement of being gay like that on TV, would vastly change the whole "coming to age as a gay kid" dynamic.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.