Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Old 02-17-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Good guy. He has always exuded a "decent guy" vibe.
Old 02-19-19, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Trump Administration Launches Global Effort to End Criminalization of Homosexuality
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...uality-n973081

BERLIN — The Trump administration is launching a global campaign to end the criminalization of homosexuality in dozens of nations where it's still illegal to be gay, U.S. officials tell NBC News, a bid aimed in part at denouncing Iran over its human rights record.

U.S. Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell, the highest-profile openly gay person in the Trump administration, is leading the effort, which kicks off Tuesday evening in Berlin. The U.S. embassy is flying in LGBT activists from across Europe for a strategy dinner to plan to push for decriminalization in places that still outlaw homosexuality — mostly concentrated in the Middle East, Africa and the Caribbean.

“It is concerning that, in the 21st century, some 70 countries continue to have laws that criminalize LGBTI status or conduct,” said a U.S. official involved in organizing the event...
Wonder if this story is going to get wider-spread coverage by other media members.
Old 02-19-19, 09:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...uality-n973081

Wonder if this story is going to get wider-spread coverage by other media members.
So instead of "Hey look. This is maybe a good thing," you decided to go with "just asking questions" about whether the wide-spread media outlets (because NBC isn't big enough?) will report it?

Interesting commentary, to say the least.
Old 02-20-19, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

So instead of "Hey look. This is maybe a good thing," you decided to go with "just asking questions" about whether the wide-spread media outlets (because NBC isn't big enough?) will report it?

Interesting commentary, to say the least.
Yes, you are correct. That's what I did. The media shits on Trump every day so I'm curious if others will cut him some slack and say something positive about him. I'm not pro-Republican nor pro-Democrat, but I would like to see more even-handed reporting of political issues.

(I didn't know I had to phrase my comments in a certain way so as to not to get a rebuke from others as to how I should make a comment. Thanks for informing me.)

(I tossed out a "softball" for others on this thread, so I'll save them the time and post it myself, "Trump shits on US everyday!"
Old 02-20-19, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ummm if your point is to discuss media coverage of Trump, we have an entire Trump thread (which btw is where I posted that story). We also have a “media bias thread”.
Old 02-20-19, 08:51 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

(I didn't know I had to phrase my comments in a certain way so as to not to get a rebuke from others as to how I should make a comment. Thanks for informing me.)
Don't get me wrong, you can frame your comments however you wish. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

But as Sdallnct also pointed out, and per my own observation, it's reasonable to infer that you posted it not to discuss the actual story, but rather, to discuss Trump (there's a thread for that) or your perceived media bias (there's also a thread for that).
And hey, we're probably wrong, and that's not what you really meant by, "Wonder if this story is going to get wider-spread coverage by other media members" and "I'm curious if others will cut him some slack and say something positive about him" and "I would like to see more even-handed reporting of political issues." It's not for me or anyone else to decide whether or not you care about the issue described in the article, but it comes off as concern trolling. If that wasn't your intent, I apologize for coming to that conclusion; I'd love to hear your thoughts on the actual story. It's probably best (in general) if we all set aside the meta-narrative of how mean people are to Trump, or why media is or isn't reporting on it.

I'll start: It's great that Richard Grenell is spearheading an initiative that, on its surface, seems like it's a good thing, but I also think it's reasonable to be cautious and skeptical that the US government's intentions here are more complex than they're letting on at this point. For example, what does planning to "end the criminalization of homosexuality in dozens of nations" specifically entail? Strongly-worded memos? Face-to-face meetings? Bombing the shit out of them if they don't comply? I'd like some follow-up on the event (described briefly in the quotes you provided) and what the action plan really is.
Old 02-20-19, 09:52 AM

Yes, you are correct. That's what I did. The media shits on Trump every day so I'm curious if others will cut him some slack and say something positive about him. I'm not pro-Republican nor pro-Democrat, but I would like to see more even-handed reporting of political issues.
Theoretically, if there was a bad president, who made mostly bad decisions and very few good ones...what would "even-handed" reporting look like?
Old 02-20-19, 10:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Has the US never spearheaded such an initiative before?
Old 02-20-19, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.msnbc.com/andrea-mitchel...-1444838979762

Little more information here. And as noted in the interview, will be interesting to see what happens when “we” try to go after our allies for these abuses. Easy to jump on Iran, but...what happens when we knock on Sadi Arabia’s door.
Old 02-20-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

fight against Gay and Lesbian to end criminalization but they cant fight for America. Makes sense.
Old 02-20-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw this yesterday, but didn't get excited about it. I just don't trust Trump to do good for "goodness sake". I'll wait to find out what his angle is, before I rejoice.
Old 02-20-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I'll wait to find out what his angle is.
I don't trust this grifter administration. If I had to guess, the angle is to look for reasons to get European allies riled up against Iran.

Pence scolds European officials for sticking with Iran nuclear deal

https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news...-1443905603557

Last edited by inri222; 02-20-19 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-20-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Has the US never spearheaded such an initiative before?
This seems like an incremental change rather than a completely new initiative. And it seems somewhat cynical in that it appears to be driven (at least in part) by an attempt to convince Europe to isolate Iran rather than a principled approach to laws criminalizing sexuality.

Still, regardless of the motivation, this is a welcome move.

Administration plans push to end criminalization of homosexuality worldwide

The Trump administration is planning to launch a worldwide effort to end the criminalization of homosexuality.

U.S. Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell, the highest-profile openly gay person in the administration, will reportedly lead the effort, which will be kicked off in Berlin Tuesday night.
“It is concerning that, in the 21st century, some 70 countries continue to have laws that criminalize LGBTI status or conduct,” a U.S. official involved in organizing the event told NBC News.

When asked about the NBC report at a briefing Tuesday afternoon, State Department spokesman Robert Palladino said Grenell met in Berlin with 11 activists from different countries.

"This really is not a big policy departure," Palladino told reporters. "This is longstanding and it's bipartisan."

When asked whether he would describe the meetings as a "new initiative," Palladino replied: “I would say that this is a good opportunity to listen and to discuss ideas about how the United States can advance decriminalization of homosexuality around the world. And that’s been our policy.”

The U.S. official told NBC that the plan will likely involve collaboration with other countries who have decriminalized homosexuality, the United Nations, the European Union and the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe.

The plan is reportedly aimed at denouncing Iran over its human rights record.

Grenell has been a public critic of Iran, but has struggled to convince European nations to reimpose sanctions on the Middle Eastern nation following President Trump's removal of the U.S. from the Obama-era Iran nuclear deal.

According to a 2017 report from the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association, 72 countries still criminalize homosexuality, including eight where it is punishable by death.

The new campaign will allegedly focus on criminalization, not broader issues such as same-sex marriage.
https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-homosexuality
Old 02-20-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

His administration should be concentrating on decriminalizing being Donald Trump.
Old 02-20-19, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
Ummm if your point is to discuss media coverage of Trump, we have an entire Trump thread (which btw is where I posted that story). We also have a “media bias thread”.
Thanks. I hadn't read the Trump thread and I missed the "Media Bias" thread as it was pretty far down in the queue.

I thought my post would be most appropriate in this thread (but maybe not my observation.)
Old 02-20-19, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't really have much to say in this thread, but I wonder what will happen with the Jussie Smollet case that has pretty much been proven to be a hoax. I'd say his career is probably over.
Old 02-20-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-20-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I saw this yesterday, but didn't get excited about it. I just don't trust Trump to do good for "goodness sake". I'll wait to find out what his angle is, before I rejoice.
Of course this is the most obvious explanation:

Trump appears unaware of administration effort to legalize homosexuality abroad
President Trump drew a blank Wednesday when told about his own administration's push to legalize homosexuality across the globe.

A reporter asked Trump in the Oval Office about "your push to decriminalize homosexuality around the world," asking, "Are you doing that and why?"

Trump said, however, "I don't know which report you're talking about. We have many reports."

White House representatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment on whether Trump was aware of his administration's push to repeal anti-homosexuality laws in 71 countries.

Last edited by joeblow69; 02-20-19 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They asked the wrong guy. Everyone knows that when it comes to LBGTQ issues that Mike Pence is the pointman. After all his wife does work in a school that discriminates against them.

Last edited by inri222; 02-20-19 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-20-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm all for it but who in their right mind believes the administration/party that gave us Kim Davis, conversion therapy Pence, and the transgender ban would actually do anything beneficial for the LGBT community?
Old 02-20-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like it's just the gay ambassador that's pushing it:
The push is spearheaded by U.S. Ambassador to Germany Richard Grenell, the most prominent gay official in the Trump administration. Grenell's effort began Tuesday with a gathering in Berlin.

NBC News reported that the State Department’s Bureau of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor was involved in the effort, and Grenell said in an interview he had the administration's full support.
Why Trump would hire a gay ambassador to Germany, I dunno. He has a history of sexist tweets, so maybe that's it.
Old 02-20-19, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
I don't really have much to say in this thread, but I wonder what will happen with the Jussie Smollet case that has pretty much been proven to be a hoax. I'd say his career is probably over.
Trump pardon? He probably wouldn't accept it even if it was offered...
Old 02-21-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Interesting update to this case.

Jussie Smollett has just been indicted for a felony ... filing a false police report, and the stakes are 3 years in prison.

A Cook County Grand Jury handed down the indictment late Wednesday, after grand jurors heard testimonies and evaluated evidence.
TMZ
Old 02-21-19, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what in the world would make him do that?
Old 02-21-19, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well I'll admit I jumped the gun with this one. Silly me for thinking that no black man would put a noose around his own neck to fake a hate crime but here we are. What community will want to back this guy at this point?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.