Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Old 12-15-18, 06:56 PM
  #2151  
DVD Talk Legend
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,905
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I’m confused by this. What are you proposing? Are you suggesting some sort of Federal Law? How would that be written?

Every company and entity is going to have their own policies, procedures, expectations, etc.

I'm not proposing any kind of law. I'm saying that if people are going to get upset at people who use this kind of language, they should get upset at everyone who uses it, not just their political opponents.
grundle is offline  
Old 12-15-18, 07:51 PM
  #2152  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,633
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I'm not proposing any kind of law. I'm saying that if people are going to get upset at people who use this kind of language, they should get upset at everyone who uses it, not just their political opponents.
Who is not “upset” at either example given? Both were wrong and inappropriate. Though a cursory reading doesn’t seem to be the same. The outcomes are (so far) not the same. But that doesn’t mean anyone thinks what was said by either was appropriate.

If HRC or Obama tried to ban transgender people from serving in the military, I would think (and believe the vast majority of people would think) it just as wrong and non-sense as Trump trying.

I guess what your saying is your not “hearing” the outrage of one that was heard over the other. I’d suggest that may be a result of what media and sources you watch. I didnt realize why Hart wasn’t hosting the Oscars untill I reasearched.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 12-15-18, 07:58 PM
  #2153  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 7,733
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Is “butt boy” even an anti-gay slur?

What about cocksucker? Ass kisser? Ass licker? Butt monkey?
Probably not a very satisfying answer, but "it depends". imho, of course ... when allies say these kinds of things, it doesn't really bother me. Now if Hannity had talked about someone's buttboy, that'd be different. It just depends on if it is coming from a place of hate or not.
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 11:24 AM
  #2154  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,630
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

This is foul.

Two women charged with assault on transgender person at Glenwood South bar

https://www.wral.com/two-women-charg...YbUC3aCcMbcdic
inri222 is offline  
Old 01-10-19, 02:12 PM
  #2155  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,657
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Witnesses said it was clear the women were targeting the person because she is transgender.
Ok.

In a statement from Bunch of Fives Hospitality Co., the company that owns Milk Bar, says this behavior won't be tolerated and they are cooperating with police.
Ok, so why didn't the establishment, after it was clear to several witnesses what was going on, kick those women out? Seems like they say they won't tolerate this or that, but the fact is, the person was already harassed, on their premises...and nothing happened.
DVD Polizei is online now  
Old 01-16-19, 04:22 PM
  #2156  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,630
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Oh, Mother!!!

Karen Pence has just started working at a school that bans LGBT students and employees

https://www.newsweek.com/karen-pence...sgZk3xBimSjjfY
inri222 is offline  
Old 01-16-19, 04:25 PM
  #2157  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 29,826
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Oh, Mother!!!

Karen Pence has just started working at a school that bans LGBT students and employees

https://www.newsweek.com/karen-pence...sgZk3xBimSjjfY
Of course she is. Perfect Pence move.
Draven is offline  
Old 01-16-19, 04:29 PM
  #2158  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 7,733
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Oh, Mother!!!

Karen Pence has just started working at a school that bans LGBT students and employees

https://www.newsweek.com/karen-pence...sgZk3xBimSjjfY
“Moral misconduct which violates the bona fide occupational qualifications for employees includes, but is not limited to, such behaviors as the following: heterosexual activity outside of marriage (e.g., premarital sex, cohabitation, extramarital sex), homosexual or lesbian sexual activity, polygamy, transgender identity, any other violation of the unique roles of male and female, sexual harassment, use or viewing of pornographic material or websites, and sexual abuse or improprieties toward minors as defined by Scripture and federal or state law.”
they better check her browser history! It's always the most uptight ones that check out the freakiest porn!
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 01-16-19, 04:48 PM
  #2159  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 29,826
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
they better check her browser history! It's always the most uptight ones that check out the freakiest porn!
And no problem with her husband working for a guy who bangs porn stars while married and after his wife gave birth. Because MAGA and who cares about the gays. Fuck these people.
Draven is offline  
Old 01-19-19, 01:38 PM
  #2160  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,630
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

WTF???

inri222 is offline  
Old 01-19-19, 08:00 PM
  #2161  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 18,359
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

So there's a YouTuber/Twitch streamer who is trying to 100% Donkey Kong 64, and doing so by raising money for Mermaids:

About Mermaids

Mermaids is passionate about supporting children, young people, and their families to achieve a happier life in the face of great adversity. We work to raise awareness about gender nonconformity in children and young people amongst professionals and the general public. We campaign for the recognition of gender dysphoria in young people and lobby for improvements in professional services.
He just hit $75k after over 24 hours. Here's a clip:

Donate if you're willing and/or watch the stream here:
https://www.twitch.tv/hbomberguy

Edit : OVER $100,000 now! Fantastic!

Last edited by Dan; 01-19-19 at 09:08 PM.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-20-19, 06:16 PM
  #2162  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 18,359
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

He's over $200k and AOC just jumped onto the chat.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-20-19, 06:23 PM
  #2163  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
Michael Corvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 56,605
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
He's over $200k and AOC just jumped onto the chat.
This is awesome.

He just asked if she knew how to unlock something in the game because he was stuck. Said the N64 is her favorite console despite never owning one, because she played at her cousin's.

And the money raised jumped at least $10k from the time I started listening.
Michael Corvin is offline  
Old 01-20-19, 06:32 PM
  #2164  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 18,359
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
Said the N64 is her favorite console despite never owning one, because she played at her cousin's.
Such a poser
She was able to name two games she played a lot, though.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-22-19, 10:34 AM
  #2165  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,633
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Ban upheld (for now)

Sad, cruel and unnecessary. Only hope is the lower courts do the right thing. But who know how long that will take only to end up right back in the SC.

Im obviously not qualified to fully understand the legal thought behind not allowing a stay. But I’m perplexed by anyone that even comes up with the thought of banning a particular group.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 01-22-19, 01:34 PM
  #2166  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 18,359
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

A relevant correction to how this military thing is being reported:

Dan is offline  
Old 01-22-19, 01:45 PM
  #2167  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 7,733
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Oh, I hadn't seen that "unless they are already serving openly" ... I guess that's a little better than I thought.
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 01-22-19, 02:11 PM
  #2168  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,633
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Oh, I hadn't seen that "unless they are already serving openly" ... I guess that's a little better than I thought.
But what does that mean in day to day world? Are we back to don’t ask don’t tell? Is it just to avoid paying necessary medical to transgender enlisted? What happens to those that are serving but not openly and they have to go to a military dr or hospital for an injury?

I mean this this is just silliness....

No wait, I said that wrong...I’m not getting that part of it. If you are currently openly serving, you can continue to do so. But no more openly are allowed to enter?

Guess Im missing it.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 01-22-19, 02:17 PM
  #2169  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
joeblow69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Palm Springs
Posts: 7,733
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
No wait, I said that wrong...I’m not getting that part of it. If you are currently openly serving, you can continue to do so. But no more openly are allowed to enter?
Guess Im missing it.
Yeah, I think that's it. If you are trans and NOT open about in in the military, I would have to assume that means you haven't started any gender reassignment yet at all, because really, how could you hide that? SO I think this just means no more new openly trans people admitted, and if you haven't come out as trans YET, then you're stuck with your current gender until either you retire, or they change the rules (again).
joeblow69 is offline  
Old 01-22-19, 02:26 PM
  #2170  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,633
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Yeah, I think that's it. If you are trans and NOT open about in in the military, I would have to assume that means you haven't started any gender reassignment yet at all, because really, how could you hide that? SO I think this just means no more new openly trans people admitted, and if you haven't come out as trans YET, then you're stuck with your current gender until either you retire, or they change the rules (again).
Yea, I can’t get my mind wrapped around it. I think your right. If your a trans woman and enroll as a woman, obviously that will come out during medical checks (at the very least). And at this point be rejected. But if your a trans woman entered as a man you would be accepted under the assumption your “staying” that way (for lack of better wording on my part). If your a trans woman, enroll as a man, but admit your a trans woman, I guess your accepted?

Thats actually really screwy and detrimental. You would think the military would want people, open, honest and comfortable with themselves.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 01-22-19, 04:07 PM
  #2171  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 18,359
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Just in case anyone's interested, that Twitch stream mentioned over the weekend raised something like $340,000 for that charity.

Here's the clip of AOC on stream. The start is a bit awkward because they seemed to be having Discord/mic issues.

Dan is offline  
Old 01-22-19, 09:38 PM
  #2172  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,633
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Just in case anyone's interested, that Twitch stream mentioned over the weekend raised something like $340,000 for that charity.

Here's the clip of AOC on stream. The start is a bit awkward because they seemed to be having Discord/mic issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mvYUaZYtJk
​​​​​​​that is amazingly awesome....and good for her to jump in....
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 01-26-19, 05:58 PM
  #2173  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 18,359
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

This is an important point that I think doesn't get careful consideration from those of us who never have to even think of dealing with this at this kind of level.

Dan is offline  
Old 01-27-19, 01:10 AM
  #2174  
Dan
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 18,359
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Follow-up to Norm in the "unpopular opinions" thread. Spoilerized the main part here:
Spoiler:
simply put, your language suggests that any male-bodied person could/would transition (while technically possible, that's extremely extremely unlikely and in the territory of "what if men SAY they're trans to get into womens restrooms!" fear-mongering) and that's just not what's happening in athletics.

Yes, there are cherry-picked examples of less than a handful of athletes who, at amateur levels (high school or whatever), have not started taking the necessary hormones for physical transition, but that is not the norm when it comes to trans athletes, and even then, those athletes only won in some races/matches/etc, but didn't consistently dominate over their peers in any meaningful way.
For athletes that do take hormones, their bodies are affected in ways you and I don't even understand, and it goes beyond just larger/smaller breasts or more/less body hair or whatever stereotypes someone wants to apply. Physical transition in regard to hormones takes time sure, but orgs like the IOC have decent (if flawed) guidelines for a lot of this stuff, and smaller orgs have adopted similar policies. In short, because: Athletic organizations know a lot of the science about what does and doesn't affect performance in specific sports, and they account for it accordingly. And there's simply no data that confirms the fear that transgender athletes specifically have an advantage over their peers. You cannot just compare male body vs. female body, because it's not that simple when you have real world transgender athletes in competition.

There's no question that men are generally bigger and stronger than women and anyone arguing otherwise is being disingenuous. This seems to be the basis of your argument, but it's not what people are actually saying. It's a strawman.
What they're actually saying is that you have to compare trans athletes to their relevant peers. That's it. Because that's actually useful, not assumptions on an entire group of people based on averages for an even larger group of people.

to be clear: I'm not trying to change your mind. I just like promoting more critical thinking.


I hesitate to post longer videos on this stuff since most of y'all don't bother watching them, but the latest Contrapoints dives into one aspect of the fear-mongering against transgender women.

Super NSFW warning:
"Are Traps Gay"
Skip the first ~3 minutes or so if you can't stand the intro.

Summarized:
"Trap" is a slur used against transgender people; mostly transgender women. It affects more than trans women, but it's mostly used against them. But more importantly, Natalie goes into some detail about what transition is, what it entails, and a whole lot about sexuality and sex. This may be one of the best looks into this topic, and she coves so much here that it's hard to give more specifics. I hope this paragraph is enough for the mods, at least.

14:35 is also a good point to jump to, where she starts to talk about most people and their perception of trans women in general. A lot of this rings true.

22:10 is a good point for some detail on what hormone therapy does to bodies. Also 29:30, and it gets graphic.

Last edited by Dan; 01-27-19 at 01:40 AM.
Dan is offline  
Old 01-27-19, 01:38 PM
  #2175  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 27,633
Re: The General LBGTQ rights (or lack of) thread.

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Follow-up to Norm in the "unpopular opinions" thread. Spoilerized the main part here:
Spoiler:
simply put, your language suggests that any male-bodied person could/would transition (while technically possible, that's extremely extremely unlikely and in the territory of "what if men SAY they're trans to get into womens restrooms!" fear-mongering) and that's just not what's happening in athletics.

Yes, there are cherry-picked examples of less than a handful of athletes who, at amateur levels (high school or whatever), have not started taking the necessary hormones for physical transition, but that is not the norm when it comes to trans athletes, and even then, those athletes only won in some races/matches/etc, but didn't consistently dominate over their peers in any meaningful way.
For athletes that do take hormones, their bodies are affected in ways you and I don't even understand, and it goes beyond just larger/smaller breasts or more/less body hair or whatever stereotypes someone wants to apply. Physical transition in regard to hormones takes time sure, but orgs like the IOC have decent (if flawed) guidelines for a lot of this stuff, and smaller orgs have adopted similar policies. In short, because: Athletic organizations know a lot of the science about what does and doesn't affect performance in specific sports, and they account for it accordingly. And there's simply no data that confirms the fear that transgender athletes specifically have an advantage over their peers. You cannot just compare male body vs. female body, because it's not that simple when you have real world transgender athletes in competition.

There's no question that men are generally bigger and stronger than women and anyone arguing otherwise is being disingenuous. This seems to be the basis of your argument, but it's not what people are actually saying. It's a strawman.
What they're actually saying is that you have to compare trans athletes to their relevant peers. That's it. Because that's actually useful, not assumptions on an entire group of people based on averages for an even larger group of people.

to be clear: I'm not trying to change your mind. I just like promoting more critical thinking.


I hesitate to post longer videos on this stuff since most of y'all don't bother watching them, but the latest Contrapoints dives into one aspect of the fear-mongering against transgender women.

Super NSFW warning:
"Are Traps Gay"
Skip the first ~3 minutes or so if you can't stand the intro.
https://youtu.be/PbBzhqJK3bg

Summarized:
"Trap" is a slur used against transgender people; mostly transgender women. It affects more than trans women, but it's mostly used against them. But more importantly, Natalie goes into some detail about what transition is, what it entails, and a whole lot about sexuality and sex. This may be one of the best looks into this topic, and she coves so much here that it's hard to give more specifics. I hope this paragraph is enough for the mods, at least.

14:35 is also a good point to jump to, where she starts to talk about most people and their perception of trans women in general. A lot of this rings true.

22:10 is a good point for some detail on what hormone therapy does to bodies. Also 29:30, and it gets graphic.
She upped her video quality game. She must have gotten a new 4K camero or something (at least since last one I watched). Its well done.

First, thanks for posting. Its long, but that’s the point isn’t it’s not a “cut and dry” discussion (as she jokingly mentions early on).
Second, for those who haven’t watched, listen to her warning early on. The discussion gets graphic and frank (as Dan also notes). But I think appropriate. To cover the topic more clinically wouldn’t be as good or make the points as well. Wouldn’t be as entertaining either.


Sdallnct is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.