Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 10-07-17, 04:32 PM   #1
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

I have moved my original posting here to the political forum due to political implications and the possible fall out.

This is all coming out because of this story from the NY times on Thursday: Harvey Weinstein Paid Off Sexual Harassment Accusers for Decades

Below is Harvey Weinstein official statement:

Harvey Weinstein has ties and history as "a major - and high profile - Democratic donor".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post

Gloria Allred throws her own daughter under the bus for defending Weinstein

QUOTE]“Had I been asked by Mr. Weinstein to represent him, I would have declined, because I do not represent individuals accused of sex harassment,” Allred said a statement Thursday released just after a bombshell New York Times story had settled at least eight cases of sexual harassment spanning decades.

“I only represent those who allege that they are victims of sexual harassment,” she added.
Lisa Bloom is offering a he‘s-turned-over-a-new-leaf defense of Weinstein and seemed to forget whose side she was on and admit Weinstein’s conduct represented illegal sexual harassment:

[/QUOTE]
Quote:
“This is a real pattern over 30 years. This is like textbook sexual harassment,” Mr. Stephanopoulos said.

“It’s gross, yeah,” Ms. Bloom replied.

“It’s illegal,” Mr. Stephanopoulos said.

“Yes. You know, I agree,” Ms. Bloom said. “See, you have to understand that, yes, I’m here as his adviser. I’m not defending him in any sexual harassment cases — there aren’t any sexual harassment cases. I’m working with a guy who has behaved badly over the years, who is genuinely remorseful, who says, you know, ‘I have caused a lot of pain.’ ”
Harvey Weinstein harassment claims are putting many in a tough spot. Do the beneficiaries of his donations have plans to return the money?

Weinstein has donated generously to Democratic political causes and candidates

Last edited by mspmms; 10-07-17 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-07-17, 04:48 PM   #2
DVD Talk Hero

re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Ms. Bloom has resigned.
Old 10-07-17, 05:13 PM   #3
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Ms. Bloom has resigned.
Old 10-07-17, 05:20 PM   #4
DVD Talk Legend

Man can you imagine if someone like this asshole was elected president knowing what we know about him?
Old 10-07-17, 05:41 PM   #5
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Man can you imagine if someone like this asshole was elected president knowing what we know about him?
No kidding. Weinstein treated women like shit and as soon as Democrats found out, they cut ties with him and donated his political contributions to women's charities. Meanwhile, Republicans sent their serial sexual harasser to the White House.

"Political implications." Keep peddling that Fox News bullshit, mspmms.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 10-07-17, 05:47 PM   #6
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More resignations:

Dirk Ziff Quits Weinstein Company Board Amid Boss’ Abuse Scandal

A Weinstein Company board member has resigned amid the burgeoning abuse scandal involving co-chairman Harvey Weinstein. Sources confirm to Deadline that billionaire publishing heir and investor Dirk Ziff quit the board during a volatile board meeting held in the wake of a scathing New York Times exposé on sexual harassment allegations against TWC’s co-chairman.

Lanny Davis another attorney who was working with Weinstein has resigned.

Davis was part of the legal team Weinstein had assembled as he was preparing to face news reports painting long history of sexual harassment.
Old 10-07-17, 06:26 PM   #7
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Keep peddling that Fox News bullshit, mspmms.
Just what exactly have I posted here from Fox news?
Old 10-07-17, 07:56 PM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Where's the other Weinstein in all of this? His brother. Was it Bob? Did he retire?
Old 10-07-17, 08:16 PM   #9
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Where's the other Weinstein in all of this? His brother. Was it Bob? Did he retire?
Bob, yeah. He's much lower-profile than Harvey but definitely not retired; Variety reports that he's trying to take the reins of the company. There's no shortage of bad blood between Bob and Harvey, and there's some speculation buzzing around that Bob might've even fed the NYT some of the dirt on his brother.

Quote:
Do the beneficiaries of his donations have plans to return the money?
Also from Variety:
Quote:
At least eight Democratic senators have announced that they are donating the sums that Weinstein contributed to their campaigns to charities. Among them is Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.). In addition, the Democratic National Committee announced that it would donate more than $30,000 in contributions from Weinstein to groups including Emily’s List, while calling the allegations against him “deeply troubling.”
"When you're in your twenties, you wonder what everyone's thinking of you. When you're in your thirties, you don't care what people think of you. And when you reach your forties, you find out no one was ever thinking of you in the first place."
-Patton Oswalt
Old 10-07-17, 08:26 PM   #10
DVD Talk Legend

That's what I'm reading too. Damn.

I admire the little guys who can keep their studios up and running. They have their place in helping film productions get moving. And those productions are often where you find movies with a unique voice.

Shame it has to be like this.
Old 10-07-17, 09:29 PM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

The orange shitstain weighs in:

On anniversary of 'Access Hollywood' tape's release, Trump criticizes Harvey Weinstein
Old 10-07-17, 10:29 PM   #12
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No kidding. Weinstein treated women like shit and as soon as Democrats found out, they cut ties with him and donated his political contributions to women's charities. Meanwhile, Republicans sent their serial sexual harasser to the White House.

"Political implications." Keep peddling that Fox News bullshit, mspmms.

The hypocrisy is staggering. Check out this tweet.

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
Old 10-07-17, 10:30 PM   #13
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
There's no shortage of bad blood between Bob and Harvey, and there's some speculation buzzing around that Bob might've even fed the NYT some of the dirt on his brother.
It’s Cain and Abel — Hollywood style.

Disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein may have been stabbed in the back by his own brother, who, sources told The Post, has been trying for years to replace his sibling as the sole head of their marquee film studio.
Old 10-07-17, 10:46 PM   #14
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Weinstein deserves the criticism. But what the hell are Republicans going on about? First, Weinstein is a donor to the Democratic Party. Both parties will take money from almost anyone willing to hand it over. The average American had no idea who Weinstein was until this week. People on this forum may know him because he's a movie producer and we're movie buffs. To everyone else, he was a nobody.

Second, HELLO, TRUMP! Republicans are using guilt by association to attack Democrats over a donor when the leader of the GOP has the following record:

-Serial adulterer/philanderer
-Married multiple times
-Attended parties at Studio 54 and ones hosted by Jeffrey Epstein
-Regularly appeared on the Howard Stern show to talk about his personal experiences with women
-Said that avoiding STDs was "his personal Vietnam"
-Made guest appearances in several Playboy videos
-Got caught on tape talking about how he "moved on" a married woman and grabs/kisses women without consent
-Accused by multiple women of sexual assault

- Christopher Hill, former U.S. Ambassador to South Korea
Old 10-07-17, 10:53 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

When I first saw this news I had an “I thought he was gay” moment, then it occurred to me I was thinking of Harvey Firestein.
Old 10-07-17, 10:55 PM   #16
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
Weinstein deserves the criticism. But what the hell are Republicans going on about? First, Weinstein is a donor to the Democratic Party. Both parties will take money from almost anyone willing to hand it over. The average American had no idea who Weinstein was until this week. People on this forum may know him because he's a movie producer and we're movie buffs. To everyone else, he was a nobody.

Second, HELLO, TRUMP! Republicans are using guilt by association to attack Democrats over a donor when the leader of the GOP has the following record:

-Married multiple times
-Regularly appeared on the Howard Stern show to talk about his personal experiences with women
-Got caught on tape talking about how he "moved on" a married woman and grabs/kisses women without consent

but emails....
Old 10-07-17, 11:00 PM   #17
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamander2 View Post
but emails....

.....but Trump.
Old 10-08-17, 12:24 AM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

.....but Trump.
Except Trump is the current POTUS (or "CEO of the USA").
Old 10-08-17, 12:26 AM   #19
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
When I first saw this news I had an “I thought he was gay” moment, then it occurred to me I was thinking of Harvey Firestein.
I just looked up Harvey F to see what he was up to.

Old 10-08-17, 12:30 AM   #20
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Weinstein deserves the criticism. But what the hell are Republicans going on about?
I don't even quite understand why this is political. The guy is a case of a movie producer who did the whole 'casting couch' thing. He's never been in politics. There is no "political fallout".

Are we going to start linking political affiliations and donations for every criminal at the local court house to decide who to criticize? Weird.
Old 10-08-17, 12:32 AM   #21
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I just looked up Harvey F to see what he was up to.

Somehow, I don't think Harvey Fierstein has been whipping it out in front of women. Just a hunch...

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 10-08-17, 12:34 AM   #22
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Are we going to start linking political affiliations and donations for every criminal at the local court house to decide who to criticize? Weird.
Desperate times...
Old 10-08-17, 12:34 AM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:

-Married multiple times

Here's a pic of evangelical leaders praying for Trump (who is possibly the Antichrist ... if I were to believe in that nonsense).

Old 10-08-17, 04:01 AM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

The info in the NY Times article is new to the general public.

But there are lot of people who knew about this for decades, and remained silent.
Old 10-08-17, 04:25 AM   #25
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
The info in the NY Times article is new to the general public.

But there are lot of people who knew about this for decades, and remained silent.
Feel free to answer these questions in your own head, as you don't have to answer personal questions here:

If you've ever been a victim of sexual harassment or assault, did you speak up immediately and file a formal complaint? If not, why?

If you've ever known someone to be a victim of sexual harassment or assault, and you knew who the perpetrator was, did you speak up immediately and file a formal complaint? If not, why?

Hypothetically, if today a victim of sexual harassment or assault told you, in private, about the event and who did it, but asked you to keep quiet, would you speak up immediately and file a formal complaint? If so, why? What steps would you follow exactly? If not, why?