Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Old 10-13-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Never understood why this thread was created in this forum in the first place.
It has nothing to do with politics or religion, and isn't a world event.
Old 10-13-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

To talk about the political fallout! (I.e., complaining about Hillary not saying anything and then "But Bill"ing her when she does.)
Old 10-13-17, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

There's plenty of room to do that in the movie forum.
Old 10-13-17, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Coral View Post
It has nothing to do with politics or religion, and isn't a world event.
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
Not merely a donor
Not only was [Harvey Weinstein] a major bundler of campaign cash for Obama and Clinton but he's also hosted a series of fundraisers at his various homes around the country over the years. In 2013, he hosted then-President Barack Obama for a fundraiser at his New York City apartment. In 2012, Obama did a fundraiser for his re-election bid at Weinstein's home in Connecticut. During the 2016 campaign, Weinstein held a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign at his New York City apartment and another with fashion mogul Anna Wintour.
New York Times broke the news that Weinstein, the head of Miramax and a major Democratic donor

We can confirm the Metropolitan Police Service was passed an allegation of sexual assault by Merseyside Police on Wednesday, 11 October.

The allegation will be assessed by officers from the Child Abuse and Sexual Offences Command.
Harvey Weinstein is probed by London police after being accused of sexual abuse
Old 10-13-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Well shit, man, how can you try to tie Weinstein to politics and leave this tasty nugget out? Seems like a glaring oversight on your part...or was it intentional?

The connection between [Steve] Bannon and Weinstein began more than a decade ago when Bannon, who had been a Goldman Sachs banker, was dabbling in Hollywood investments. Transcripts of investor conference calls at the time show Bannon enthusing about the business opportunities with the Weinsteins.

We are extremely honored to be in business with the new Weinstein Company,” Bannon told investors in one such call, declaring that “the Weinsteins have the most impressive track record in the film industry” and that “Bob and Harvey are two of the most prolific studio heads in the history of Hollywood.”

Ultimately, Genius Products ended up in bankruptcy in 2011, but not before Bannon reported substantial revenues from the venture. His company Bannon Strategic Advisers had a consulting agreement worth $500,000 with Genius Products in 2006, and he was awarded bonuses of more than $200,000, according to SEC filings. Bannon also was awarded stock options in 2005 that were valued at well over $1 million at the time.

https://nypost.com/2017/10/12/bannon...tein-revealed/
Old 10-13-17, 11:02 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
^ Well shit, man, how can you try to tie Weinstein to politics and leave this tasty nugget out? Seems like a glaring oversight on your part...or was it intentional?

The connection between [Steve] Bannon and Weinstein began more than a decade ago when Bannon, who had been a Goldman Sachs banker, was dabbling in Hollywood investments. Transcripts of investor conference calls at the time show Bannon enthusing about the business opportunities with the Weinsteins.

We are extremely honored to be in business with the new Weinstein Company,” Bannon told investors in one such call, declaring that “the Weinsteins have the most impressive track record in the film industry” and that “Bob and Harvey are two of the most prolific studio heads in the history of Hollywood.”

Ultimately, Genius Products ended up in bankruptcy in 2011, but not before Bannon reported substantial revenues from the venture. His company Bannon Strategic Advisers had a consulting agreement worth $500,000 with Genius Products in 2006, and he was awarded bonuses of more than $200,000, according to SEC filings. Bannon also was awarded stock options in 2005 that were valued at well over $1 million at the time.

https://nypost.com/2017/10/12/bannon...tein-revealed/
Further proof that for those in power, left/right divisions are meaningless. The real division is rich and not rich.
Old 10-13-17, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^^^Thanks for the addition CharlieK

But.. but...but...
It has nothing to do with politics
Old 10-13-17, 11:11 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Further proof that for those in power, left/right divisions are meaningless. The real division is rich and not rich.
Pretty much.
Old 10-13-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
^^^Thanks for the addition CharlieK

But.. but...but...
It really doesn't have anything to do with politics. If you think it does, well, that's more a reflection of you.

This is a societal problem where men - mostly white men - feel they can behave any way they fucking like because they have money and power and they want to lord it over those they see as weaker. And it's also a problem with our society where people who fucking know better turn a blind eye because they also want money & power or at the very least, don't want to rock the boat for fear of repercussions.

As we've seen, this type of behavior shows itself from Hollywood to Washington and everywhere in between. I have a feeling though the tide is turning on this. I think men in power may be less likely to pull this stuff now and their victims more embolden to speak up when it does happen. At least I hope so.
Old 10-13-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So every time a person or corporation who donates to either party commits a crime or is involved in a scandal, we're supposed to post about it here? That's going to be a pretty big list of threads then.
Old 10-13-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is a societal problem where men - mostly white men - feel they can behave any way they fucking like because they have money and power and they want to lord it over those they see as weaker.
It also ties into misogyny/women's rights and how rich men prey on women who are their employees. I highly doubt that we will see a powerful female producer like Kathleen Kennedy being accused of this type of behavior.
Old 10-13-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It really doesn't have anything to do with politics.
It was your posting not mine:

I did not know about it - and thanked you for it.
Old 10-13-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So every time a person or corporation who donates to either party commits a crime or is involved in a scandal, we're supposed to post about it here? That's going to be a pretty big list of threads then.
Pretty sad, isn't it?
Old 10-13-17, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
It was your posting not mine:

I did not know about it - and thanked you for it.
uh-huh
Old 10-13-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, apparently so. I'm still scratching my head about how this is supposed to be a "gotcha" moment for liberals.
Old 10-13-17, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And if it involves donations to the Democratic party, you can be sure that mspmms will be right on top of it with a new thread.
Old 10-13-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If there's one thing that brings us together on this forum, it's that (I think) we're all film buffs. So I doubt you'll find many people outright attacking "Hollywood" or "Hollywood liberals" around here. If you guys are like me, then movies are the forefront of entertainment and leisure in your life. Open season on Harvey Weinstein, and anyone else who is outed. But I don't link this to (big evil) Hollywood in general.

Oddly, there are "some people" on this political forum, who I've never seen contribute anywhere else.
Old 10-13-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
And if it involves donations to the Democratic party, you can be sure that mspmms will be right on top of it with a new thread.
Like Trump on beauty pageant pussy.
Old 10-13-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
Yeah, his presence in this forum is simply to push his agenda - and he makes it pretty obvious.
Old 10-13-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, his presence in this forum is simply to push his agenda - and he makes it pretty obvious.
But think of all the minds he's changed
Old 10-13-17, 12:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
If there's one thing that brings us together on this forum, it's that (I think) we're all film buffs. So I doubt you'll find many people outright attacking "Hollywood" or "Hollywood liberals" around here. If you guys are like me, then movies are the forefront of entertainment and leisure in your life. Open season on Harvey Weinstein, and anyone else who is outed. But I don't link this to (big evil) Hollywood in general.
Agreed. It's a "Hollywood" problem as much as it is an "oil & gas industry" problem as much as it is a "tech industry" problem... meaning... it's a problem EVERYWHERE. I'm all for Hollywood folks outing the abusers and predators like Weinstein and many other individuals who abuse their power in the same way, and let the good folks rise to the top to take their place. People were taught that they had to put up with Weinstein's (and others) shit. I hope all of these revelations now are a sign that, no, they don't have to put up with that shit anymore. I hope.

Oddly, there are "some people" on this political forum, who I've never seen contribute anywhere else.
bleep bloop. I don't know what you mean. Bloop bleep. Moving picture shows are a delightful way to expend time. Bleep bloop.
Old 10-13-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Agreed. It's a "Hollywood" problem as much as it is an "oil & gas industry" problem as much as it is a "tech industry" problem... meaning... it's a problem EVERYWHERE. I'm all for Hollywood folks outing the abusers and predators like Weinstein and many other individuals who abuse their power in the same way, and let the good folks rise to the top to take their place. People were taught that they had to put up with Weinstein's (and others) shit. I hope all of these revelations now are a sign that, no, they don't have to put up with that shit anymore. I hope.
Agree with all of this.

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Weinstein, he's always struck me as a blowhard and a bully, and can't say I'm surprised at all about what has come out about him. But does his actions reflect on all of Hollywood, or Democrat financial supporters or whatever people like the OP are trying to demonize? Of course not, that's just stupid.
Old 10-13-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
He's convinced me that Michael Ramirez is a genius.
Old 10-13-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I worked in Hollywood in the early 90's and saw a bunch of stuff. I was a worker, not an actor, so I never saw this particular side of things. But what I did see was that it's ALL about who you know and who can recommend you. I can totally see why an up and coming actor or actress who finally gets an opportunity would put up with stuff to get ahead. It's either that or never go anywhere.. and don't even think about complaining. That'll ruin your career for sure.

And nothing going on now will change any of it. The actors will change but the show will go on.
Old 10-13-17, 07:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Probably exactly the same number as everyone else.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.