Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Old 08-13-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Sounds like he strangled himself with a bedsheet. It would probably take a grand total of 10 minutes to do. But sure, it's a massive conspiracy.
And I suppose that the entire Seal Team 6 who "killed" Bin Laden dying in a single crash soon after is coincidence.

It is not reasonable to conclude that Epstein's suicide was the result of circumstances innocently lining up to allow that to happen contrary to the safeguards to prevent it. That requires more faith than to believe that his death was planned.
Old 08-13-19, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
And I suppose that the entire Seal Team 6 who "killed" Bin Laden dying in a single crash soon after is coincidence.

It is not reasonable to conclude that Epstein's suicide was the result of circumstances innocently lining up to allow that to happen contrary to the safeguards to prevent it. That requires more faith than to believe that his death was planned.
He had a bedsheet and let’s say 10 minutes of unsupervised time from an understaffed jail. That’s a perfectly “reasonable” thing to happen. In fact, people kill themselves in prison all the time. Those saying he wouldn’t have done that because of XYZ are ignoring how many suicides happen in general that don’t make sense to others.
Old 08-13-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't really follow these things, but is there any kind of conspiracy theory out there that Epstein's death was faked?

I'm just thinking that IF Epstein had dirt on all of these rich and powerful people that he should probably have some kind of dead man's switch set up where, if anything happens to him, all of the dirty laundry gets dumped into the public domain.

So Jeffrey has a fake suicide, his secret bank accounts get drained, and he moves to some foreign land under an assumed identity.
Old 08-13-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post

SCOTUS recently (2016) held that it violates the Sixth Amendment to seize assets needed to retain counsel where those assets have not been used in conjunction with criminal activity. If the government can trace Epstein’s money to a crime, they can freeze his assets. So they would need to argue that Epstein’s money came from sex trafficking, not his investment activities.
First, I know he would be allowed to have money for his defense, But he had civil suits against him. They would have frozen a bunch of that so he couldn’t hide it pending judgements in those civil suits.
Old 08-13-19, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

https://www.cnet.com/news/4chan-post-appears-to-have-detailed-jeffrey-epsteins-death-before-news-broke/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0a&fbclid=IwAR2f8rhS9Y_4Gm0T1310qzdPm5PKcafJd5ZiKvhNHwqGXwgeWaNmE8WqkXo

​​​​​​
Somebody on 4chan posted about the suicide before any news outlet! 4chan killed Epstein!
Old 08-13-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

First, I know he would be allowed to have money for his defense, But he had civil suits against him. They would have frozen a bunch of that so he couldn’t hide it pending judgements in those civil suits.
Generally, courts won't freeze assets merely because a civil lawsuit is pending -- even one as obviously meritorious as this one. If Epstein's wealth was anywhere close to what was reported, he had plenty of money to spend on lawyers.
Old 08-14-19, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He had a bedsheet and let’s say 10 minutes of unsupervised time from an understaffed jail. That’s a perfectly “reasonable” thing to happen. In fact, people kill themselves in prison all the time. Those saying he wouldn’t have done that because of XYZ are ignoring how many suicides happen in general that don’t make sense to others.
Epstein had a cellmate that was removed the night before he committed "suicide". Guards had not checked in on him for hours and then falsified the logs that said they did.
Old 08-14-19, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Epstein had a cellmate that was removed the night before he committed "suicide". Guards had not checked in on him for hours and then falsified the logs that said they did.
Yep. Sounds like the perfect opportunity to kill yourself. I admit it’s more fun to speculate that he was murdered but it’s far easier to believe that a pedophile who already tried to kill himself once did it again.
Old 08-14-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think he was murdered directly but I do think it's possible he was left alone intentionally, knowing what he'd probably do. Too many strange coincidences.
Old 08-14-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I don't think he was murdered directly but I do think it's possible he was left alone intentionally, knowing what he'd probably do. Too many strange coincidences.
This. That (allowing Epstein to be alone to be able to commit suicide) is within the spectrum of valid conspiracy.
Old 08-14-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This. That (allowing Epstein to be alone to be able to commit suicide) is within the spectrum of valid conspiracy.
..which is still a suicide. Not a "suicide".

I'm sure guards at jails and prisons all over the country look the other way and allow things to happen. That's a hell of a lot different then the mob or Hillary Clinton sneaking into his cell to murder him.
Old 08-14-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

..which is still a suicide. Not a "suicide".
That's a matter of semantics. Assuming that Epstein was genuinely suicidal, giving him what he needs to carry it out and allowing him to carry it out, would be a chargeable criminal offense.

I'm sure guards at jails and prisons all over the country look the other way and allow things to happen. That's a hell of a lot different then the mob or Hillary Clinton sneaking into his cell to murder him.
It all hinges on WHY the guards looked the other way for Epstein. If they thought he was a dirtbag, that's one thing. If they were paid to do that, that's another.

The bottom line is you believe that it was an accidental suicide. I don't. We'll leave it at that.
Old 08-14-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a matter of semantics. Assuming that Epstein was genuinely suicidal, giving him what he needs to carry it out and allowing him to carry it out, would be a chargeable criminal offense.

It all hinges on WHY the guards looked the other way for Epstein. If they thought he was a dirtbag, that's one thing. If they were paid to do that, that's another.

The bottom line is you believe that it was an accidental suicide. I don't. We'll leave it at that.
How do you have a “accidental” suicide? You can have an accidental overdose. But I don’t see how you have a accidental suicide.

Assume what hat has come out is true (that he hung himself), how does one “accidentally” tie a bed sheet around your own neck?

Now if you you want to argue it was a preventable suicide. Sure. But then most suicides are preventable.
Old 08-14-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they just mean not influenced by any outside factors (guards, cellmate leaving...etc). Not actually accidental.
Old 08-14-19, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe this personally. It's certainly not a wild conspiracy theory to think so IMO.
Old 08-14-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It’s not like suicides in jail are rare,

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.huf...149f9ac149/amp
Old 08-14-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We're not talking about your average criminal here. This is a MAJOR case. Letting him kill himself is beyond all logic and reason.
Old 08-14-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
We're not talking about your average criminal here. This is a MAJOR case. Letting him kill himself is beyond all logic and reason.
Especially after he may have already tried it once. If those marks on his neck were due to an attempt, he should have been under 24 hour surveillance.
Old 08-14-19, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post

How do you have a “accidental” suicide? You can have an accidental overdose. But I don’t see how you have a accidental suicide.

Assume what hat has come out is true (that he hung himself), how does one “accidentally” tie a bed sheet around your own neck?

Now if you you want to argue it was a preventable suicide. Sure. But then most suicides are preventable.
Sorry, poor choice of words on my part. By "accidental" I mean, in spite of safeguards the person managed to commit suicide anyways. THAT is not the case here.
Old 08-14-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Especially after he may have already tried it once. If those marks on his neck were due to an attempt, he should have been under 24 hour surveillance.
He had been taken off suicide watch at this point, yes? I'm assuming because some threshold or evaluation was completed. Obviously that wasn't the correct thing to do but I'm assuming that mistakes happen all the time. Not that it's a conspiracy.

A determined person is going to figure out how to kill themselves no matter what. He could have done it with his shirt if they removed all of the bedding. If he was totally naked in a bare cell, he probably could have figured out something.

If he killed himself by shooting himself three times in the back of the head and the gun ended up 50 feet away from him, then you can start talking about a conspiracy to murder him. But taking a few minutes to grab a bedsheet and hang yourself? Easily plausible.

Last edited by Draven; 08-14-19 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-14-19, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, looks like they took him off watch not long before. But removing his cellmate is against policy (inmates who are recently off suicide watch are not to be in a cell alone). And the two guards were "sleeping" for hours and falsified documents. Either they're the most incompetent officers in the history of the jail system (considering the high profile inmate) or there's more to the story. But again, I don't think he was directly murdered.
Old 08-14-19, 03:27 PM

Those of you believe some type of conspiracy was in place have a much higher opinion of organizations in general, and of governmental associated ones in particular, than I.

Shit happens every day that those on the outside find too incredible to believe, but it happens, and with no conspiracy.
Old 08-14-19, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Those of you believe some type of conspiracy was in place have a much higher opinion of organizations in general, and of governmental associated ones in particular, than I.

Shit happens every day that those on the outside find too incredible to believe, but it happens, and with no conspiracy.
That's my position too - elaborate conspiracies are the stuff of movies, not day to day shit like this.
Old 08-15-19, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In autopsy findings, it shows Epstein reportedly had multiple breaks in his neck bones including the hyoid bone. That bone break is more common in homicidal strangulation according to experts.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/isabelt...F#2bd542904aea
Old 08-15-19, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So they ruled it a suicide before the autopsy?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.