Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Old 10-09-17, 01:14 PM
Political Exile

re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
There are examples of Bill Clinton behaving badly towards women. Despite the imbalance of power, Monica Lewinsky was on the consenting adults end of the spectrum.

I saw her today on TV. She's using her experience of having been the national punching bag as a basis to campaign against cyber bullying. I say good for her.

Apparently, there are lot of highly intelligent, well educated people who are unaware of the accusations against Bill Clinton.

A few years ago, an anthropology PhD student was living in my apartment building. A very intelligent person. A native speaker of English who was born in the U.S., and who had spent a few years living in both Japan and China, and a fluent speaker of Japanese and Mandarin.

But when I told her I didn't like the double standard of how the media treated the accusations against Bill Cosby vs the accusations against Bill Clinton, she seemed completely unaware of the accusations against Clinton.

Last edited by grundle; 10-09-17 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-09-17, 01:16 PM
Political Exile

re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
I also won't belabor the issues, bet merely say that the extreme imbalance of power made a mutually consentual relationship impossible.

I understand exactly what you mean. Perhaps our laws need to be modified to take this kind of thing into account.

Or perhaps not. I don't want to create a police state.

I'm actually on the fence about this one.

Last edited by grundle; 10-09-17 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-09-17, 01:18 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
You can't ignore the imbalance of power. He isn't her college professor, he's the fucking President.

I think even for a college professor, there could be an imbalance of power.
Old 10-09-17, 01:20 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
From her biography:

From Newsweek:

Gibson on CNN:

So it started out as asking for a favor, but then later turned into a judge's order. So she was not lying.
Old 10-09-17, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry now that I weighed in on the Clinton distraction in the Weinstein thread. But Hillary!
Old 10-09-17, 01:37 PM

BEN-GAHHH-ZEEEEE PEDO ISLAND and FOSTERS EMAILZZ KILLED MAH CAT!!!

Ugh, I guess Murdoch's decades-long brainwashing campaign coupled with breitbart diarrhea really HAS seeped in to the fabric of society.....those with too much space between the ears have even taken this debunked propaganda as FACT, sadly.....

"They say there's one born every minute....."
Old 10-09-17, 02:11 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I'm sorry now that I weighed in on the Clinton distraction in the Weinstein thread. But Hillary!
Old 10-09-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
I think the Women's Groups like NOW were the real hypocrites under Clinton (just like the Religious Right are hypocrites under Trump). Womens Groups fought against Sexual Harrassment for years and never said a peep under the Clinton era for all of the stuff he did or was accused of.
Not only that, they were grateful for Bill Clinton - Nina Burleigh, a former White House correspondent:
Spoiler:
“I would be happy to give him a blowjob just to thank him for keeping abortion legal. I think American women should be lining up with their Presidential kneepads on to show their gratitude..."
Old 10-09-17, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ruh Roh Raggy! Weinstein SNL skits got pulled? Were they truly "flat" or was something else going on here?

Lorne Michaels Defends SNL's Silence On Harvey Weinstein: 'It's A New York Thing'

Saturday Night Live” took on a wide array of current events in this week’s episode, from O.J. Simpson’s prison release to the mass shooting in Las Vegas. But one news story didn’t make the cut: the sexual harassment allegations against Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein.

“SNL” writers had prepared multiple jokes about the alleged misconduct, a source told The New York Times. But, according to the Times, the skits were pulled at the last minute “because the material seemed to fall flat with the show’s studio audience” during a dress rehearsal. In the end, there were no mentions of the story on the show, even in its news-focused “Weekend Update” skit.

When asked about the omission, “SNL” executive producer Lorne Michaels told the Daily Mail that, “it’s a New York thing.” The Times’ source explained that Michaels meant that the allegations might not be familiar to a national audience.

The show has in the past taken on similar allegations against President Donald Trump, Bill Cosby, and the late former Fox News chairman Roger Ailes.
Old 10-09-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They were talking about SNL on the radio this AM. Does seem very fishy that there was no mention of it. The reply to "it's a NY thing" was "Isn't Trump from NY, also?" I can't believe that this wasn't intentional.
Old 10-09-17, 03:27 PM

Wait, so this guy is a salacious creep? Noooooo, surely not THIS guy....

Old 10-09-17, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, for what it's worth - Harvey can throw me under the sheets if it means I get to make a movie.

I've never in my life pressured a woman to have sex with me. In fact, just the opposite (you want to have sex with me ... why?). But, I think that inside people's heads, they think they're puritanical. It's very normal to have sex with a handful of different people in your lifetime. Lots of upper-level professionals mingle. Many get married and would never feel like one or other other was taking advantage of them. I guess you have to be really careful about what you say, offer, and do during the encounters.

I haven't read all the steamy details. I assume there's assault in there somewhere for Harvey - which is a big no-no.

When he was making big movies, he couldn't get in trouble. Now that he's not moving a lot of money, and making enough profit, he loses power and someone decides to break a story. Seems like that's the story arc of every perv with a ton of money.
Old 10-09-17, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Donna Karan: harassed women "may be asking for it" by dressing seductively

“You look at everything all over the world today and how women are dressing and what they are asking by just presenting themselves the way they do. What are they asking for? Trouble,”

Daily Mail link
Old 10-09-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Ok, now deal with this:

Spoiler:
Both ol' Bill and Trump were friends with Jeffrey Epstein!
Old 10-10-17, 01:00 AM
Political Exile

It sure looks like the district attorney accepted a bribe for not prosecuting Weinstein:

http://www.ibtimes.com/political-cap...ed-file-sexual

Harvey Weinstein's Lawyer Gave $10,000 To Manhattan DA After He Declined To File Sexual Assault Charges

October 5, 2017

Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein’s lawyer delivered $10,000 to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance, Jr. in 2015, in the months after Vance’s office decided not to prosecute Weinstein over sexual assault allegations, according to an International Business Times review of campaign finance documents. That contribution from attorney David Boies — who previously headlined a fundraiser for Vance — was a fraction of the more than $182,000 that Boies, his son and his law partners have delivered to the Democrat during his political career.

Boies has done legal work for Weinstein since at least 2005, and his website at his law firm says his clients include The Weinstein Company.

“David Boies did not represent Harvey Weinstein in 2015 during the criminal investigation,” Joan Vollero, communications director for Vance, told IBT in an email when asked about Boies’ campaign contributions.

Edward Evans, a spokesperson for the law firm Boies Schiller Flexner, said in an emailed statement: “David Boies has been a supporter of the District Attorney since long before 2015, including before he was first elected, and has never spoken to him about Harvey Weinstein.”

The revelations about the dropped Weinstein investigation come on the heels of a recent report documenting how Vance declined to prosecute Ivanka Trump and Donald Trump, Jr. after Trump’s attorney Marc Kasowitz gave Vance’s campaign $25,000. According to a report by ProPublica, WNYC and The New Yorker, Kasowitz made the donation, then met with Vance directly and then Vance dropped the case, overruling his own prosecutors.

In an email to IBT, Vance's campaign spokesperson Steve Sigmund said that just before Kasowitz met with Vance about the case, Vance's campaign returned the $25,000 donation. Kasowitz subsequently made an even larger donation to Vance after the district attorney decided not to prosecute the Trumps, but Sigmund said both the original donation and the second donation came when Kasowitz “had zero involvement in any cases before the District Attorney's office.”

The New York Times Thursday published a report detailing how multiple women have alleged Weinstein engaged in “sexual harassment and unwanted physical contact.” Variety reported that Weinstein “has retained star litigator David Boies as well as attorneys Lisa Bloom and Charles Harder in an effort to rebut the claims.” Weinstein issued an apology, but Bloom told the Times that the movie producer “denies many of the accusations as patently false.”

Among the allegations that the newspaper recounted was one in 2015, in which Italian model Abra Battilana accused Weinstein of groping her. Battilana contacted law enforcement officials, but in April of 2015, Vance’s office declined to bring charges against Weinstein, saying that “after analyzing the available evidence, including multiple interviews with both parties, a criminal charge is not supported.”

Soon after, Boies made a big donation to Vance: Campaign finance records show that Boies gave the district attorney’s campaign $10,000 on August 24, 2015. In all, Boies has given $55,000 to Vance’s campaigns since he first began running for office in 2008. Boies co-chaired a 2008 fundraiser for Vance. Since Vance began running for district attorney, Boies’ son Christopher has given Vance's campaigns $35,000. Boies' law firm partners who gave to Vance included Jonathan Schiller ($26,000), Nicholas Gravante ($4,000) and Robert Silver ($62,785). Silver passed away in 2015.

City & State noted that “Vance won office after campaigning on promises to pursue crimes directed at women and seek stronger penalties for perpetrators of intimate partner violence.”
Old 10-10-17, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This made it to Colbert. This is the next Bill Cosby. No longer off the table to attack all of it. Let the memes, tweets, and mockery commence.

Like Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein lost his power and gravitas around his industry - and that's why it's okay to go in for the kill. If he were still producing hits and making everyone money, this wouldn't had been exposed to the mainstream.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/07bHQFWCKIw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-10-17, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Like Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein lost his power and gravitas around his industry - and that's why it's okay to go in for the kill. If he were still producing hits and making everyone money, this wouldn't had been exposed to the mainstream.
Journalist says New York Times killed her Harvey Weinstein story in 2004 after pressure from Matt Damon, Russell Crowe

by Emily Jashinsky | Oct 9, 2017, 7:19 PM

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/jo...rticle/2636982
Old 10-10-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly. Now that the his success has subsided, he's not untouchable (going for the obvious pun here).

People should understand that successful people mingle business with sex. And lots of them get together, get married, have kids, get divorced, etc. And I wouldn't be surprised to learn that those relationships start as a tit-for-tat. It sounds like Harvey did cross a line for sure. There's a difference between "we should hook up, work together, and CAA will handle the details". And Harvey's, "hey, if you watch me shower and jerk-off into this house plant, I'll hire you".

I only read about two encounters. Because I'd like to be able to have sex again without thinking about Harvey yanking it into a houseplant.
Old 10-10-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Because I'd like to be able to have sex again without thinking about Harvey yanking it into a houseplant.
Not sex but it might not help with your visual part.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Exclusive: Judi Dench, who has a Harvey Weinstein tattoo on her butt, horrified by sexual misconduct <a href="https://t.co/MHU6Hy1eWl">https://t.co/MHU6Hy1eWl</a> <a href="https://t.co/zQ5rvj9qxs">pic.twitter.com/zQ5rvj9qxs</a></p>&mdash; Newsweek (@Newsweek) <a href="https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/917419435270508544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 9, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 10-10-17, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wonder if the headline writer read the article?
Old 10-10-17, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No comment from QT yet.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 10-10-17 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-11-17, 06:46 AM
Political Exile

Weinstein (along with Woody Allen and more than 100 other Hollywood bigshots) defended Roman Polanski after Polanski drugged and raped a 13-year-old girl:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_...ual_abuse_case

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/09/o...-silence-.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...d-1794699.html
Old 10-11-17, 06:49 AM
Political Exile

NBC also knew about it but kept silent:

http://nypost.com/2017/10/10/nbc-alm...urned-it-down/

NBC almost broke Weinstein bombshell — but turned it down

October 10, 2017

Ronan Farrow’s bombshell investigation into Harvey Weinstein’s sexual misconduct was reportedly rejected by NBC over sourcing concerns before he took it to The New Yorker magazine.

Farrow had been working on the investigative piece for the peacock network — where he serves as a contributor, according to the Huffington Post.

Farrow and NBC even had incriminating audio in August where Weinstein admitting to groping a woman, the website said.

Farrow, who has a non-exclusive contract with NBC, asked to bring the story to a print outlet and agreed to return to the network and discuss it’s outcome, a source told The Post.

The New Yorker story included audio from an NYPD investigation while Actress Mira Sorvino and filmmaker Asia Argento were both on the record with their allegations against Weinstein.

An NBC source told The Post that Farrow did not have any accusers on the record while working on the story with them.
Old 10-11-17, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
An NBC source told The Post that Farrow did not have any accusers on the record while working on the story with them.
Sounds like a pretty good reason not to run it.
Old 10-11-17, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I posted this at meme thread originally:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Weinstein says his wife of 10 years, Marchesa designer Georgina Chapman, “stands 100 percent behind me.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/rbeelwVDSW">https://t.co/rbeelwVDSW</a></p>&mdash; USA TODAY (@USATODAY) <a href="https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/916465614037946368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 7, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
^ Then - Now v
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sad news. I remember when they first met... <a href="https://t.co/QDmHIa6cUw">pic.twitter.com/QDmHIa6cUw</a></p>&mdash; Oscar Lombardi (@mcvidpro) <a href="https://twitter.com/mcvidpro/status/917894229539672064?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 10, 2017</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.