Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 12-07-17, 09:28 PM   #901
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, et

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Not a crime.
Who said anything about a crime? I said it was "obviously wrong" - on a moral level and at a national security level. And I wasn't separating #s 1 and 2...they go together.

Quote:
That's theoretical at best. Trump has an army of people who only know classified info because they are related and/or married into his family. That's apparently not a problem.
I was speaking only of the Clinton situation. Trump's list of "obviously wrong" actions and potential security pitfalls is way too long and overwhelming to even start.
Old 12-07-17, 09:31 PM   #902
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, et

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
How far do we go? We can make similar arguments for the FBI Director, Heads of Departments, CEOs of big companies. Are we going to make adultery firable offenses for them? I'd hate to start requiring every person in positions of authority to take a purity and morality test.
It's a good question and one that should be seriously considered and not just dismissed as a "slippery slope". Again, those government agencies that are concerned with national security care about these kinds of situations for anyone with a security clearance. Anything that puts someone at risk of blackmail or "needing to keep something quiet" is a red flag and potential reason to at least get rid of a clearance.
Old 12-07-17, 09:48 PM   #903
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
How far do we go? We can make similar arguments for the FBI Director, Heads of Departments, CEOs of big companies. Are we going to make adultery firable offenses for them? I'd hate to start requiring every person in positions of authority to take a purity and morality test.

Consensual acts between Clinton and Lewinsky. Clinton may have been a superior, but the chain of command is so distant that I didn't think there was coercion.
Was there coercion with Juanita Broaddrick, Paula Jones, Kathleen Willey and four other as yet unnamed women?
Old 12-07-17, 09:58 PM   #904
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
It's a good question and one that should be seriously considered and not just dismissed as a "slippery slope". Again, those government agencies that are concerned with national security care about these kinds of situations for anyone with a security clearance. Anything that puts someone at risk of blackmail or "needing to keep something quiet" is a red flag and potential reason to at least get rid of a clearance.
I think what people do in their private lives and with consent between adults is their business. If we don't like that, we don't have to put them in those positions, but I don't see why it should lead to dismissal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post
Was there coercion with Juanita Broaddrick, Paula Jones, Kathleen Willey and four other as yet unnamed women?
I was talking about Lewinsky. I don't know what happened with the other women. Do you?
Old 12-08-17, 04:22 AM   #905
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
I think what people do in their private lives and with consent between adults is their business. If we don't like that, we don't have to put them in those positions, but I don't see why it should lead to dismissal.

I was talking about Lewinsky. I don't know what happened with the other women. Do you?
The compelling argument that was put forward was the potential for blackmail resulting in adverse consequences. Whether the honey trap scenario or simply the instability of domestic situations, it's a very reasonable concern...as evidenced by the many comments in these threads even when relationships were consensual.

As to the last question, that standard could be applied to every allegation. None of us were present at any of them.
Old 12-08-17, 09:12 AM   #906
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
He probably wanted to do the impregnating too.
Probably along the lines of: “hey sweetie how about we meet up this weekend at my place, have a little wine and make a baby.”

Last edited by cungar; 12-08-17 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-08-17, 10:19 AM   #907
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone mention Harold? He's (was) a regular contributor @ MSNBC and former congressman.

Harold Ford Jr., ex-congressman and frequent MSNBC guest, fired by investment bank for sex misconduct

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...isconduct.html
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
― H.L. Mencken
Old 12-08-17, 02:17 PM   #908
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Fane followed up her original tweet by writing,
Quote:
“I’m sorry but I don’t think the things @SenFranken was accused of were the sexual assault and a few of the accusers were anonymous. I know you Bernie’s like to think things have always been the same but 10ys ago things were different.”
In the aftermath of Fane’s Sanders-focused tweet being shared and harshly criticized by other users on Twitter, Fane protected her account–meaning her tweets are now no longer publicly accessible.
https://lawandcrime.com/exclusive/ap...exual-assault/

Old 12-08-17, 02:33 PM   #909
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

"Literally some random person on twitter with less than 1300 followers said THING! Other random person with 54 followers on twitter responds! News??? Only if you're... *squints* Lawn da Crimey dot com?"
Old 12-08-17, 03:35 PM   #910
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefrank View Post
My understanding is that the security agencies don't mind if people with clearance are having an affair or going to orgies or whatever, so long as the people inform them. In fact, I've been told, that they're happier if they know your dirt. They get uncomfortable if someone appears to be too squeaky clean.

OTOH, I've also known people who quit going to parties because they got clearance.

Albuquerque is a smallish city close to a lot of secure government facilities. We all know people who can't talk about their jobs.
Old 12-08-17, 03:47 PM   #911
DVD Talk Hero

- Voltaire
Old 12-08-17, 03:53 PM   #912
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
That makes no sense, but is the desperate response of a frustrated person/whoever who can't wrap their heads around their favorite politicians succumbing to the same shit they've been dishing out for the last few years.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 12-08-17, 03:55 PM   #913
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

this seems like an excessively generous offer?
Old 12-08-17, 03:56 PM   #914
DVD Talk Hero

Just a little. Bordering on joke territory, but who knows. Maybe it would have been paid for by the American Taxpayer Slush Fund these guys use.

Old 12-08-17, 03:56 PM   #915
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like Moore's accuser (the 14 yr old at the time) now admits that "part" of what was written in her yearbook she wrote herself.
Old 12-08-17, 03:58 PM   #916
DVD Talk Hero

That doesn't help her case.

Old 12-08-17, 04:06 PM   #917
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Looks like Moore's accuser (the 14 yr old at the time) now admits that "part" of what was written in her yearbook she wrote herself.

For weeks, over at Free Republic, there have been quite a few articles and threads where people said it looked like the message in the yearbook had more than one handwriting. But I never mentioned it here at DVD Talk because I didn't have a reliable source. But you just posted a link to the New York Times, which is reliable. I wonder what took the New York Times so long to report what the right wing media had been reporting for weeks.
Old 12-08-17, 04:23 PM   #918
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundle View Post
For weeks, over at Free Republic, there have been quite a few articles and threads where people said it looked like the message in the yearbook had more than one handwriting. But I never mentioned it here at DVD Talk because I didn't have a reliable source. But you just posted a link to the New York Times, which is reliable. I wonder what took the New York Times so long to report what the right wing media had been reporting for weeks.
Probably doing that pesky fact checking, which most right wing media outlets don’t bother with.
Old 12-08-17, 04:26 PM   #919
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
That makes no sense, but is the desperate response of a frustrated person/whoever who can't wrap their heads around their favorite politicians succumbing to the same shit they've been dishing out for the last few years.
It makes no sense that sexual harassers fare better in the Republican Party?
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 12-08-17, 04:31 PM   #920
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
It makes no sense that sexual harassers fare better in the Republican Party?
Which Republican sexual harrassers are faring better?
Old 12-08-17, 04:33 PM   #921
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
From that article, it sounds like it was the "notes" part, so the "D.A 12-22-27 Old Hickory House" which does look like it was written by someone else.

But she maintains that Moore wrote the message and signed it and had a handwriting expert confirm it.

Quote:
Four days before the election, the inscription landed back in the spotlight when a reporter for Good Morning America asked Ms. Nelson if she had added her own notes beneath the inscription. She admitted that she had.

“Beverly indicates that she added that to remind herself of who Roy Moore was and where and when Mr. Moore signed her yearbook,” her lawyer, Gloria Allred, said hours later at a news conference, where she also said a handwriting expert, Arthur T. Anthony, had examined the signature and found it to be written by Mr. Moore. “We look forward to learning if Alabama voters will believe Roy Moore’s accusers or if they will ignore the evidence presented to them,” Ms. Allred said.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 12-08-17, 04:36 PM   #922
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
From that article, it sounds like it was the "notes" part, so the "D.A 12-22-27 Old Hickory House" which does look like it was written by someone else.

But she maintains that Moore wrote the message and signed it and had a handwriting expert confirm it.
Sorry, but she didn't initially state that when she first presented the yearbook as evidence. It was only after the Gloria Allred-selected expert noted inconsistencies did she confess.

What initially appeared to be a slam-dunk case, isn't so slam-dunk anymore and calls into question the validity of her claim.
Old 12-08-17, 04:44 PM   #923
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Sorry, but she didn't initially state that when she first presented the yearbook as evidence. It was only after the Gloria Allred-selected expert noted inconsistencies did she confess.

What initially appeared to be a slam-dunk case, isn't so slam-dunk anymore and calls into question the validity of her claim.
Um, okay. Her adding the date doesn't dismiss what Moore wrote.

And Arthur T. Anthony looks pretty legit from what I can find online. What makes you call him into question?
Old 12-08-17, 04:53 PM   #924
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Um, okay. Her adding the date doesn't dismiss what Moore wrote.
Assuming that Moore wrote everything else that he is accused of writing (even THAT is being questioned), that does not "prove" that anything she said happened actually happened...except that he did indeed meet her. Just because I want to believe her doesn't make it true.
Old 12-08-17, 04:55 PM   #925
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Assuming that Moore wrote everything else that he is accused of writing (even THAT is being questioned), that does not "prove" that anything she said happened actually happened...except that he did indeed meet her. Just because I want to believe her doesn't make it true.
If she had forged his message and/or signature, wouldn't that matter far more than the date?