Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Old 10-09-17, 05:55 AM
Political Exile

re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Man can you imagine if someone like this asshole was elected president knowing what we know about him?
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No kidding. Weinstein treated women like shit and as soon as Democrats found out, they cut ties with him and donated his political contributions to women's charities. Meanwhile, Republicans sent their serial sexual harasser to the White House.

"Political implications." Keep peddling that Fox News bullshit, mspmms.

Here are four examples of Democrats who did really bad things, but still kept support from their party:

1) After Ted Kennedy drove drunk into the water with a woman in the car, he refused to call for emergency help. Instead, he called his lawyer. All Kennedy cared about was trying to protect his reputation. The woman did not drown. Instead, she suffocated in a pocket of air. If Kennedy had called for emergency help, there would have been plenty of time to save her. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chappaquiddick_incident

2) Robert Byrd started his own chapter of the Ku Klux Klan and recruited 150 of his friends and associates to join. He was later elected to the U.S. Senate as a Democrat. If he hadn't died in 2010, he would still be in office today. Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...801105_pf.html

3) Bill Clinton sexual misconduct allegations https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_C...ct_allegations

4) Listen to Hillary Clinton laugh as she explains how she chose to knowingly save a guilty child molester from spending decades in prison

Sometimes a public defender is forced to take a case they don’t want, but that’s not what happened here. At 0:49 in the interview below, Hillary Clinton says:

“The prosecutor called me a few years ago, he said he had a guy who had been accused of rape, and the guy wanted a woman lawyer. Would I do it as a favor for him?”

At 1:48, she says:

“He took a lie detector test. I had him take a polygraph, which he passed, which forever destroyed my faith in polygraphs. [laughter]”

This child molester could have gotten 30 years to life in prison. But at 5:55 Hillary says that she:

“Got him off with time served in the county jail, he’d been in the county jail about two months.”

Hillary Clinton chose to defend a child molester whom she knew was guilty. She saved him from spending decades in prison. And after she was done, she laughed about it.

Old 10-09-17, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No kidding. Weinstein treated women like shit and as soon as Democrats found out, they cut ties with him and donated his political contributions to women's charities. Meanwhile, Republicans sent their serial sexual harasser to the White House.

You may want to read up on your history of Bill Clinton as President. The last time I checked, he had an affair with a 20 year old intern IN the White House, and the Democrats all circled the wagons for him in 1998. He was also accused by many women of Sexual Harrassment (Paula Jones he settled out of court with), Kathleen Wiley, Juanita Broderick.

Don't get me wrong as I am not saying that Trump defenders aren't hypocritical because a lot of them were calling Clinton's impeachment in 1998. But it goes both ways as the silent Democrats during the Clinton era are all of the sudden outraged at Trump's behavior in 2016. It comes down to Partisan people circle the wagon for their candidate no matter what.
Old 10-09-17, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
You may want to read up on your history of Bill Clinton as President. The last time I checked, he had an affair with a 20 year old intern IN the White House, and the Democrats all circled the wagons for him in 1998. He was also accused by many women of Sexual Harrassment (Paula Jones he settled out of court with), Kathleen Wiley, Juanita Broderick.

Don't get me wrong as I am not saying that Trump defenders aren't hypocritical because a lot of them were calling Clinton's impeachment in 1998. But it goes both ways as the silent Democrats during the Clinton era are all of the sudden outraged at Trump's behavior in 2016. It comes down to Partisan people circle the wagon for their candidate no matter what.
Bingo. This is one of the reasons we ended up with a President Trump. And because people are people, he won't be the last President Trump.
Old 10-09-17, 08:11 AM
Admin-Thanos

As a Democrat, I thought Clinton was a douche, BUT I didn't think his infidelity and lying about it were grounds for impeachment. But he was definitely a slimeball.

As far as Weinstein, he's getting what he deserves, the prick.
Old 10-09-17, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
As a Democrat, I thought Clinton was a douche, BUT I didn't think his infidelity and lying about it were grounds for impeachment. But he was definitely a slimeball.

I think the Women's Groups like NOW were the real hypocrites under Clinton (just like the Religious Right are hypocrites under Trump). Womens Groups fought against Sexual Harrassment for years and never said a peep under the Clinton era for all of the stuff he did or was accused of. The same goes for the Religious Right as they preached dignity for years with the Presidency but have no problem with 'Grab that Pussy.'

Again, it's all about policy and people are willing to look the other way if their agenda is advanced. Trump can do anything as long he nominates a Judge Gorsich to the Supreme Court, just as Clinton was able to do anything as long as he was naming Ruth Ginsberg's to the Court.
Old 10-09-17, 08:29 AM
Admin-Thanos

I think the Women's Groups like NOW were the real hypocrites under Clinton (just like the Religious Right are hypocrites under Trump). Womens Groups fought against Sexual Harrassment for years and never said a peep under the Clinton era for all of the stuff he did or was accused of. The same goes for the Religious Right as they preached dignity for years with the Presidency but have no problem with 'Grab that Pussy.'

Again, it's all about policy and people are willing to look the other way if their agenda is advanced. Trump can do anything as long he nominates a Judge Gorsich to the Supreme Court, just as Clinton was able to do anything as long as he was naming Ruth Ginsberg's to the Court.
I see your point.
Old 10-09-17, 08:33 AM

It wasn't merely infidelity though. It was at best harassment and at worst sexual assault. Referring to the whole intern thing.
Old 10-09-17, 09:18 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by grundle View Post

4) Listen to Hillary Clinton laugh as she explains how she chose to knowingly save a guilty child molester from spending decades in prison

Sometimes a public defender is forced to take a case they don’t want, but that’s not what happened here. At 0:49 in the interview below, Hillary Clinton says:

“The prosecutor called me a few years ago, he said he had a guy who had been accused of rape, and the guy wanted a woman lawyer. Would I do it as a favor for him?”

At 1:48, she says:

“He took a lie detector test. I had him take a polygraph, which he passed, which forever destroyed my faith in polygraphs. [laughter]”

This child molester could have gotten 30 years to life in prison. But at 5:55 Hillary says that she:

“Got him off with time served in the county jail, he’d been in the county jail about two months.”

Hillary Clinton chose to defend a child molester whom she knew was guilty. She saved him from spending decades in prison. And after she was done, she laughed about it.
As a lawyer (hell, as an American), this shit really pisses me off. As defense counsel, she had a duty to defend that man zealously within the bounds of the law. It's the prosecution's job to prove guilt, it's not defense counsel's job to determine guilt and then decide not to properly defend if she thinks her client is guilty. In fact, that would be unconstitutional. How would you like to be accused of a crime and then assigned defense counsel who decided to half-ass your defense because she thought you were guilty? That particular criticism of Hillary is made only by those who either don't understand the role of criminal defense counsel, or willfully ignore the Constitution just to make a point. "Hillary laughed. She laughed!!" She was laughing about polygraphs, which are laughable, they have no value.
Old 10-09-17, 10:38 AM
Political Exile

Actually, there are multiple women who have accused him of sexual assault:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_C...ct_allegations
Old 10-09-17, 10:41 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
As a lawyer (hell, as an American), this shit really pisses me off. As defense counsel, she had a duty to defend that man zealously within the bounds of the law. It's the prosecution's job to prove guilt, it's not defense counsel's job to determine guilt and then decide not to properly defend if she thinks her client is guilty. In fact, that would be unconstitutional. How would you like to be accused of a crime and then assigned defense counsel who decided to half-ass your defense because she thought you were guilty? That particular criticism of Hillary is made only by those who either don't understand the role of criminal defense counsel, or willfully ignore the Constitution just to make a point. "Hillary laughed. She laughed!!" She was laughing about polygraphs, which are laughable, they have no value.

My issue is that she chose to take on this particular client.
Old 10-09-17, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-09-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

RE: Robert Byrd. Lots of Klansmen were elected in the 20th century, and if they were all still alive they might all be in office today. That is, they would be if they changed with their party.

Yes, they were Democrats. That was before the big shift where the racists moved from the Democratic party to the Republican party.

https://goplifer.com/2016/07/21/from...rose-and-fell/
Old 10-09-17, 10:46 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

My issue is that she chose to take on this particular client.
The guilty need defense counsel. Again, if you were accused of a crime, would you be ok if no defense lawyer would take your case because they thought you were guilty?
Old 10-09-17, 10:47 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

The Hilary laughing thing...
http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinto...ghed-about-it/

What's True:
In 1975, young lawyer Hillary Rodham was appointed to represent a defendant charged with raping a 12-year-old girl. Clinton reluctantly took on the case, which ended with a plea bargain for the defendant, and later chuckled about some aspects of the case when discussing it years later.

WHAT'S FALSE
Hillary Clinton did not volunteer to be the defendant's lawyer, she did not laugh about the case's outcome, she did not assert that the complainant "made up the rape story," she did not claim she knew the defendant to be guilty, and she did not "free" the defendant.

There's a ton of text in the link above, but grundle will ignore it anyway.
Old 10-09-17, 10:53 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
It wasn't merely infidelity though. It was at best harassment and at worst sexual assault. Referring to the whole intern thing.
Safe to say as I often do, I completely disagree with your assessment, but I'm not going to re-litigate the Monica Lewinsky scandal again.
Old 10-09-17, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Safe to say as I often do, I completely disagree with your assessment, but I'm not going to re-litigate the Monica Lewinsky scandal again.
There are examples of Bill Clinton behaving badly towards women. Despite the imbalance of power, Monica Lewinsky was on the consenting adults end of the spectrum.

I saw her today on TV. She's using her experience of having been the national punching bag as a basis to campaign against cyber bullying. I say good for her.
Old 10-09-17, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
There are examples of Bill Clinton behaving badly towards women. Despite the imbalance of power, Monica Lewinsky was on the consenting adults end of the spectrum.

I saw her today on TV. She's using her experience of having been the national punching bag as a basis to campaign against cyber bullying. I say good for her.
I also won't belabor the issues, bet merely say that the extreme imbalance of power made a mutually consentual relationship impossible.
Old 10-09-17, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Mega-dittos, Rush!
Old 10-09-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

You can't ignore the imbalance of power. He isn't her college professor, he's the fucking President.
Old 10-09-17, 12:58 PM
Political Exile

The guilty need defense counsel. Again, if you were accused of a crime, would you be ok if no defense lawyer would take your case because they thought you were guilty?

No, I would not be OK with it.
Old 10-09-17, 01:05 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
The Hilary laughing thing...
http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinto...ghed-about-it/

What's True:
In 1975, young lawyer Hillary Rodham was appointed to represent a defendant charged with raping a 12-year-old girl. Clinton reluctantly took on the case, which ended with a plea bargain for the defendant, and later chuckled about some aspects of the case when discussing it years later.

WHAT'S FALSE
Hillary Clinton did not volunteer to be the defendant's lawyer, she did not laugh about the case's outcome, she did not assert that the complainant "made up the rape story," she did not claim she knew the defendant to be guilty, and she did not "free" the defendant.

There's a ton of text in the link above, but grundle will ignore it anyway.
Originally Posted by snopes
Hillary Clinton did not volunteer to be the defendant's lawyer
Then she must have been lying when she said, “The prosecutor called me a few years ago, he said he had a guy who had been accused of rape, and the guy wanted a woman lawyer. Would I do it as a favor for him”

Originally Posted by snopes
she did not claim she knew the defendant to be guilty
Then she must have been lying when she said "which forever destroyed my faith in polygraphs"
Old 10-09-17, 01:06 PM
Political Exile

RE: Robert Byrd. Lots of Klansmen were elected in the 20th century, and if they were all still alive they might all be in office today. That is, they would be if they changed with their party.

Yes, they were Democrats. That was before the big shift where the racists moved from the Democratic party to the Republican party.

https://goplifer.com/2016/07/21/from...rose-and-fell/

I'm aware of the "southern strategy."

Apparently, Byrd was not.
Old 10-09-17, 01:08 PM
Political Exile

No, not Lewinsky.

I was talking about women who did not consent. Again, see the link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_C...ct_allegations
Old 10-09-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Then she must have been lying when she said, “The prosecutor called me a few years ago, he said he had a guy who had been accused of rape, and the guy wanted a woman lawyer. Would I do it as a favor for him”
From her biography:

I told Mahlon I really didn’t feel comfortable taking on such a client, but Mahlon gently reminded me that I couldn’t very well refuse the judge’s request.
From Newsweek:

“Hillary told me she didn’t want to take that case, she made that very clear,” recalls prosecutor [Mahlon] Gibson, who phoned her with the judge’s order.
Gibson on CNN:

“She got appointed to represent this guy,” he told CNN when asked about the controversy.
Old 10-09-17, 01:10 PM
Political Exile

Maybe these women are lying, or maybe they are telling the truth.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.