Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Old 10-08-17, 05:27 AM
Banned

re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Are we going to start linking political affiliations and donations for every criminal at the local court house to decide who to criticize? Weird.
That's what is done for other affiliations, so why draw the line at politics?
Old 10-08-17, 05:29 AM
Political Exile

re: The Ultimate sexual harassment and political fallout thread (Harvey Weinstein, etc)

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Feel free to answer these questions in your own head, as you don't have to answer personal questions here:

If you've ever been a victim of sexual harassment or assault, did you speak up immediately and file a formal complaint? If not, why?

If you've ever known someone to be a victim of sexual harassment or assault, and you knew who the perpetrator was, did you speak up immediately and file a formal complaint? If not, why?

Hypothetically, if today a victim of sexual harassment or assault told you, in private, about the event and who did it, but asked you to keep quiet, would you speak up immediately and file a formal complaint? If so, why? What steps would you follow exactly? If not, why?

I wasn't talking about the victims, or the people close to the victims.

I was referring to people in power who could have done something to prevent future incidents from happening.

As to your hypothetical, I would want to violate confidentiality and tell someone, but I don't know if I actually would. The older the victim, the less likely I would be to say anything. If it were a child, I would definitely tell someone.
Old 10-08-17, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
The guy is a case of a movie producer who did the whole 'casting couch' thing. He's never been in politics. There is no "political fallout".
From the (progressive) Daily Beast:
Yes, Hillary—and the Democrats—Do Have a Harvey Weinstein Problem

Weinstein’s growing scandal represents yet another instance of liberal hypocrisy on issues liberals relentlessly criticize conservatives on. After all, conservatives were allegedly responsible for a War on Women, but yet again we have a liberal man accused of privately mounting his own War on Women, and hiding in part behind his public support of feminist causes and candidates to do so.

But even if only a fraction of what is alleged in the piece is accurate, combined with previous reports and public knowledge of Weinstein’s behavior and statements, it is baffling that he has remained a welcome face of the Hollywood liberal political establishment.
Old 10-08-17, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Of course there are going to be bad people in both political parties.

As has already been pointed out, the difference is the response. The Dems are responding with “fuck that guy” and are sending his money to charities. The Repubs responded with “locker room talk” and sent their guy to the White House.

Even mspmms has to recognize that difference.
Old 10-08-17, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Even mspmms has to recognize that difference.
He does not.
Old 10-08-17, 10:33 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
As to your hypothetical, I would want to violate confidentiality and tell someone, but I don't know if I actually would. The older the victim, the less likely I would be to say anything. If it were a child, I would definitely tell someone.
You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on it's back. The tortoise lays on it's back, it's belly baking in the hot sun, beating it's legs trying to turn it'self over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?
Old 10-08-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-08-17, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise, it’s crawling toward you. You reach down, you flip the tortoise over on it's back. The tortoise lays on it's back, it's belly baking in the hot sun, beating it's legs trying to turn it'self over, but it can’t, not without your help. But you’re not helping. Why is that?
This is amazing.
Old 10-08-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
He does not.
Old 10-08-17, 02:06 PM
Political Exile

What desert?

How come I be there?
Old 10-08-17, 02:14 PM
Political Exile

The New York Times agrees with me:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/06/b...T.nav=top-news

Harvey Weinstein’s Media Enablers

October 6, 2017

Now that The New York Times has put together a stomach-turning chronicle of alleged sexual harassment by the movie mogul Harvey Weinstein — complete with brave, on-the-record statements from, among others, the actress Ashley Judd — we’re hearing a lot about how the story of his misconduct was “the worst-kept secret” in Hollywood and New York.

But until now, no journalistic outfit had been able, or perhaps willing, to nail the details and hit publish.

For decades, stars of Oscar-winning movies produced by Mr. Weinstein appeared on the covers of glossy magazines, chitchatted with late-night hosts and provided fodder for gossip columns and broadsheet features while the uncouth executive partly responsible for their success maintained his special status in Beverly Hills and TriBeCa.

Somehow the whispers concerning his alleged hotel-room and workplace abuses never threatened his next big deal, industry award or accolades, which included an honorary Commander of the British Empire appointment.

The real story didn’t surface until now because too many people in the intertwined news and entertainment industries had too much to gain from Mr. Weinstein for too long. Across a run of more than 30 years, he had the power to mint stars, to launch careers, to feed the ever-famished content beast. And he did so with quality films that won statuettes and made a whole lot of money for a whole lot of people.

“The unfortunate reality of Hollywood is that if someone has money, then they can generally find some kind of audience of people who are interested in working with them,” said Kim Masters, the editor at large at The Hollywood Reporter. This was particularly true of Mr. Weinstein, who, she said, was known for having “the golden touch” that produced “Pulp Fiction” and “Good Will Hunting,” “The King’s Speech” and “Shakespeare in Love.”

Ms. Masters had been chasing the Weinstein story for years. She said she had gotten near “the end zone” once, only to bump up against the ultimate silencer: fear.

“At the last minute, the source withdrew,” she told me.

She said she wanted to believe that times were changing, given the number of women who have put their names to the words that derailed the careers of Bill Cosby, who faced criminal charges that resulted in a mistrial this year, and Bill O’Reilly. But she also wondered aloud whether trouble had finally found Mr. Weinstein because he was no longer the rainmaker and hitmaker he had once been.

“This industry is passionate about causes,” Ms. Masters said, “but when it comes down to doing business, they’re definitely capable of holding their noses.”

With the knowledge that the Times article was heading toward publication, and with word of a similar piece in the works at The New Yorker, Mr. Weinstein assembled an all-star team of crisis-management experts and lawyers that included Lisa Bloom. Ms. Bloom, who said earlier this week that she was working only as an “adviser” to Mr. Weinstein, said she resigned from her role Saturday. She is known for her work representing alleged (and often confirmed) victims of sexual harassment, including those who took on Mr. O’Reilly.

Ms. Bloom shared one reason she may have been sympathetic to Mr. Weinstein on Twitter in April, when she wrote, “My book SUSPICION NATION is being made into a mini-series, produced by Harvey Weinstein and Jay Z!”

Mr. Weinstein has admitted to some inappropriate behavior, and Ms. Bloom has attributed his missteps to his status as a “dinosaur” who is now “learning new ways.”

Certainly, shamefully, there is a long tradition of disgusting harassment of women who try to make it in the movie business. (Jack L. Warner, a founder of Warner Bros. studios, was no saint.)

The image that Mr. Weinstein had concocted for himself — that of a classic Hollywood type, the hot-tempered but charming mogul — took a serious hit in 2015 when an aspiring actress, Ambra Battilana, accused him of groping her at his TriBeCa offices. The New York Police Department’s Special Victims Division investigated the matter, resulting in a lot of bad press and some hard questions from his board. As the Times investigation revealed, however, no charges materialized after Mr. Weinstein paid off his latest accuser in a confidential settlement.

Hollywood isn’t the only industry still abiding behavior that never had a rightful place in civilized society. Not at all. But it stands out because the industry often holds itself up as a force for moral good, its awards ceremonies filled with beribboned attendees.

As my colleagues who wrote the investigative article about Mr. Weinstein, Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey, noted, he was allegedly harassing women in five-star hotel rooms across the globe even as his company was distributing films like “The Hunting Ground,” a 2015 documentary about sexual assault on college campuses. He also helped endow a “Gloria Steinem” faculty chair at Rutgers; joined a national women’s march in Park City, Utah, in January; and was a big fund-raiser for and supporter of Hillary Clinton.

The same day that The Times broke the story about Mr. Weinstein, Bloomberg News reported that State Street, the bank behind the famous “fearless girl” statue staring down the Wall Street bull, paid $5 million to some 300 female executives after a federal audit determined it had paid them less than their white male counterparts. State Street disagreed with the audit. But as in the case of Mr. Weinstein, the face it presented to the world was woefully contradicted by the charges about its out-of-view behavior.

The allegations against Mr. Weinstein have come to light several years after similar stories concerning Mr. Cosby. The charges against the once-beloved comedian and sitcom star had been floating around for years. But they generally stayed hidden — and did not figure in the biography of Mr. Cosby by the former Newsweek editor Mark Whitaker, published shortly before his public image unraveled — because of what my predecessor, David Carr, described as Mr. Cosby’s “stalwart enablers” and “ferocious lawyers.”

Mr. Weinstein had his own enablers. He built his empire on a pile of positive press clippings that, before the internet era, could have reached the moon. Mr. Carr wrote in a 2001 New York magazine profile of Mr. Weinstein, of whom he was an astute observer: “As the keeper of star-making machinery, Weinstein has re-engineered the media process so that he lives beyond its downsides.”

Every now and then, glimpses of his nasty side spilled out, like when he placed the reporter Andrew Goldman in a headlock and dragged him out of a party in 2000. Someone who was involved in that altercation, Rebecca Traister, wrote in New York’s The Cut on Thursday that it didn’t get the media attention it deserved because “there were so many journalists on his payroll, working as consultants on movie projects, or as screenwriters, or for his magazine.”

Let’s hope that those in the know did not include members of the Los Angeles Press Club, which this year gave Mr. Weinstein its “Truthteller Award,” calling him an example of “integrity and social responsibility,” along with Jay-Z. (The mogul received the honor because of his producing “Time: The Kalief Browder Story,” a Spike TV documentary series about a 16-year-old who spent three years in Rikers Island awaiting a trial that never took place.)

The Press Club might want to rethink the award given that Mr. Weinstein has hired the emerging leader of anti-press jurisprudence, Charles Harder, who brought the case that put Gawker out of business last year.

And what about the eerie Hollywood silence? As The Daily Beast noted, Lena Dunham was one of the few who spoke out against Mr. Weinstein. It sure was a departure from the delight that greeted the charges against the conservative Mr. O’Reilly. Behind the scenes in Los Angeles, as Janice Min, a former editor of The Hollywood Reporter, told me, “I can guarantee the second that story hit yesterday, several men called their attorneys.”

There will be questions for those who knew what was going on but did nothing, for the agents who dispatched would-be stars to his hotel suites when they may have understood what the cost would be and for the editors and reporters who conveniently didn’t bother to look into the tales making the rounds.

I asked Ms. Min how many other Harveys were out there.

“No name comes up more than Harvey Weinstein in this sort of behavior,” she told me. But, she added, “I guarantee there are many more rocks to overturn.”

The sooner, the better. It’s time for the era of open secrets to come to an end.

Last edited by grundle; 10-08-17 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

That article has inspired me to talk about my favorite Hollywood open secret: Brian Singer's gay orgies with underage boys.
Old 10-08-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's what's disturbed me about the whole thing. If it's been going on for thirty years, and everyone in Los Angeles knew about it, why is it only coming out now?

But Weinstein was following an old Hollywood tradition. I've read in a history of movies that because movie-making is a collaborative activity, many people have the power to make an actress look good or bad, and so her career can be helped or destroyed by things in other people's control. The article said that in the silent movie days, even lighting technicians and cameramen would demand sexual favors in exchange for flattering shots.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 10-08-17 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-08-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I remember this creeping up in the late 90's with Gretchen Mol. She was the new "it" girl then she wasn't and it was supposedly thanks to Harvey.
Old 10-08-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
I remember this creeping up in the late 90's with Gretchen Mol. She was the new "it" girl then she wasn't and it was supposedly thanks to Harvey.
Everyone in Los Angeles. Twenty years ago you were just some guy, and you knew about it.
Old 10-08-17, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It gives even more credence to the story of a paedophile ring in Hollywood that's being covered up (not saying Weinstein is part of it).

There's definitely a culture in Hollywood of doing things and ignoring things for the sake of your career and/or paycheque. I'm sure it's one reason we keep hearing about directors dating actresses who are way out of their league.
Old 10-08-17, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All I know is that he has my vote if he wants to run for President.
Old 10-08-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
But only if he gives tickets to Weinstein Company movies to politicians using government funds.
Old 10-08-17, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
He now has a lot of time on his hands, was just terminated by his own company.

"effective immediately"
Old 10-08-17, 08:52 PM
Political Exile

Even the New York Times knew about it, but kept silent:

https://www.thewrap.com/media-enable...ew-york-times/

‘Harvey Weinstein’s Media Enablers’? The New York Times Is One of Them

The paper had a story on mogul’s sexual misconduct back in 2004 — but gutted it under pressure

By Sharon Waxman

October 8, 2017

A whole lot of fur has been flying since last Thursday, when The New York Times published a game-changing investigative story about Harvey Weinstein’s sexual misconduct that in lightning speed brought the mogul to his knees.

He apologized and took an immediate leave of absence from the company he co-founded, but that wasn’t enough. His board members and legal advisers have been resigning en masse. And as new, ugly details emerge of three decades of settlements for sex-related offenses, he’s quickly becoming a national pariah.

I applaud The New York Times and writers Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey for getting the story in print. I’m sure it was a long and difficult road.

But I simply gagged when I read Jim Rutenberg’s sanctimonious piece on Saturday about the “media enablers” who kept this story from the public for decades.

“Until now,” he puffed, “no journalistic outfit had been able, or perhaps willing, to nail the details and hit publish.”

That’s right, Jim. No one — including The New York Times.

In 2004, I was still a fairly new reporter at The New York Times when I got the green light to look into oft-repeated allegations of sexual misconduct by Weinstein. It was believed that many occurred in Europe during festivals and other business trips there.

I traveled to Rome and tracked down the man who held the plum position of running Miramax Italy. According to multiple accounts, he had no film experience and his real job was to take care of Weinstein’s women needs, among other things.

As head of Miramax Italy in 2003 and 2004, Fabrizio Lombardo was paid $400,000 for less than a year of employment. He was on the payroll of Miramax and thus the Walt Disney Company, which had bought the indie studio in 1993.

I had people on the record telling me Lombardo knew nothing about film
, and others citing evenings he organized with Russian escorts.

At the time, he denied that he was on the payroll to help Weinstein with favors. From the story: “Reached in Italy, Mr. Lombardo declined to comment on the circumstances of his leaving Miramax or Ricucci, saying they were legal matters being handled by lawyers. ‘I am very proud of what we achieved at Miramax here in Italy,’ he said of his work for the film company. ‘It cannot be that they hired me because I’m a friend.'”

I also tracked down a woman in London who had been paid off after an unwanted sexual encounter with Weinstein. She was terrified to speak because of her non-disclosure agreement, but at least we had evidence of a pay-off.

The story I reported never ran.

After intense pressure from Weinstein, which included having Matt Damon and Russell Crowe call me directly to vouch for Lombardo and unknown discussions well above my head at the Times, the story was gutted.

I was told at the time that Weinstein had visited the newsroom in person to make his displeasure known. I knew he was a major advertiser in the Times, and that he was a powerful person overall.

But I had the facts, and this was the Times. Right?

Wrong. The story was stripped of any reference to sexual favors or coercion and buried on the inside of the Culture section, an obscure story about Miramax firing an Italian executive. Who cared?

The Times’ then-culture editor Jon Landman, now an editor-at-large for Bloomberg, thought the story was unimportant, asking me why it mattered.

“He’s not a publicly elected official,” he told me. I explained, to no avail, that a public company would certainly have a problem with a procurer on the payroll for hundreds of thousands of dollars. At the time, Disney told me they had no idea Lombardo existed.

A spokeswoman for the Times had no comment on Sunday.

I was devastated after traveling to two countries and overcoming immense challenges to confirm at least part of the story that wound up running last week, more than a decade later. I had met in person with a woman who said she’d been paid off for an unwanted sexual encounter and thus proved she existed.

Today I wonder: If this story had come to light at the time, would Weinstein have continued his behavior for another decade, evidenced by the scathing 2015 memo by former staffer Lauren O’Connor unearthed by Kantor and Twohey.

Writes Rutenberg: “Mr. Weinstein had his own enablers. He built his empire on a pile of positive press clippings that, before the internet era, could have reached the moon.”

The New York Times was one of those enablers. So pardon me for having a deeply ambivalent response about the current heroism of the Times.
Old 10-08-17, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As I said in another thread, literally the only thing this forum can completely agree on is condemning a liberal/Democrat that does terrible things. Why is that not the case with conservative/Republican scumbags too? Shouldn't vile people be universally condemned regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum?
Old 10-08-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
That's what's disturbed me about the whole thing. If it's been going on for thirty years, and everyone in Los Angeles knew about it, why is it only coming out now?

But Weinstein was following an old Hollywood tradition. I've read in a history of movies that because movie-making is a collaborative activity, many people have the power to make an actress look good or bad, and so her career can be helped or destroyed by things in other people's control. The article said that in the silent movie days, even lighting technicians and cameramen would demand sexual favors in exchange for flattering shots.
And in the 60's and 70's there were parties galore in Hollywood often involving underaged girls. It wasn't just Polanski or Woody Allen (which many covered up for). When the Weinstein story broke, I read an article which pretty much summarized the reaction of Hollywood vets as "lolll it's Hollywood".
Old 10-08-17, 10:15 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Where’s the Edward heath Thread ???
Old 10-08-17, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BDB View Post
Where’s the Edward heath Thread ???
I don't know much about it. But he was Prime Minister. The police at the time weren't even interested in the host of a BBC children's program.
Old 10-08-17, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Harvey Weinstein was fired from his own company today (presumably by a board of directors vote).

*checks*

Donald Trump appears to still be POTUS.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.