Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-12-17, 08:09 PM   #201
DVD Talk Legend

re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out [Bonus Pizza Discussion!]

I stopped watching the NFL. I literally only watched two quarters last year (the first and fourth of the Super Bowl). I gave up playing fantasy football, which I had been playing every year since 1997. (I played without the internet then. Pen and paper.) I stopped buying NFL merchandise. No more Patriots shirts or anything else with the Patriots or NFL logo on it. Unfollowed most football writers on twitter. Completely gave it up 100 %.

I quit because the league is a garbage league run by a garbage commissioner. Roger Goodell suspended Tom Brady even though he did nothing wrong. His inconsistent off field punishments that were pulled out of his ass was the final straw. Terrible and inconsistent officiating. Too many penalties. It seems like doing what was best for the game and for the fans was not only not a top priority, but you would think they were actively trying to make the product worse. It got so watching and following the NFL was not bringing me any pleasure. So I quit.

So I am among those as to why the ratings might be lower (but Im not a nielson family so I dont think they miss me.) It had nothing to do with Kaepernick so Im not sure if this fits in the discussion. I wonder how many other people just started to hate the product.
Old 09-12-17, 08:10 PM   #202
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out [Bonus Pizza Discussion!]

Old 09-12-17, 08:11 PM   #203
DVD Talk Legend

Now we've relegated the thread to sad old men jokes.

[Edit: Disclaimer: The above has nothing to do with the two preceding posts which were unseen at the time of this posting. That is all.)
Old 09-12-17, 08:32 PM   #204
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am a Niners fan and I should have quit in 2015.
Old 09-12-17, 08:35 PM   #205
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisih8u View Post
So I am among those as to why the ratings might be lower (but Im not a nielson family so I dont think they miss me.) It had nothing to do with Kaepernick so Im not sure if this fits in the discussion. I wonder how many other people just started to hate the product.
It belongs in here. It's an alternative reason why NFL viewership decreased.

Didn't baseball have something similar, after that famous strike in the 90's?

I think it's also those darned millennials. I'm on the old side of the generation. Sports became less and less interesting to young people. Just ... not interested. There's finite time and money for leisure. For every loss there is a gain. People are just finding something else to do with their time.
Old 09-12-17, 08:39 PM   #206
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
I am a Niners fan and I should have quit in 2015.

I should have quit the Browns in '64 right before Jim left for Hollywood.
Old 09-12-17, 09:06 PM   #207
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
They play God Bless America during the seventh inning stretch and have done so since 9/11.

It's dumb. I want Take Me Out to the Ball Game back.
Fuck both of those songs.

They should start playing "Glory Hole" by Steel Panther.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-12-17, 09:40 PM   #208
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post

That's when I stopped watching baseball.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-12-17, 10:14 PM   #209
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post

I should have quit the Browns in '64 right before Jim left for Hollywood.
The team even changed in that period. The former Browns won two Super Bowls!
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 09-12-17, 10:33 PM   #210
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
...relegated the thread to sad old men jokes.

Metamucil smoothies
Old 09-13-17, 12:27 AM   #211
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
That's when I stopped watching baseball.
And to think that the sport was just in its infancy then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post

Metamucil smoothies
Right on, bro.

The daily constitutional is where it's at.

Last call for a round of bran flakes.
Old 09-15-17, 02:53 PM   #212
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jim Brown Gives 'Real Deal' On Colin Kaepernick Flag And Activism

Old 09-15-17, 02:58 PM   #213
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Jim Brown Gives 'Real Deal' On Colin Kaepernick Flag And Activism

Quote:
In 1999, Brown was arrested and charged with making terrorist threats toward his wife. Later that year, he was found guilty of vandalism for smashing his wife's car with a shovel. He was sentenced to three years' probation, one year of domestic violence counseling, and 400 hours of community service or 40 hours on a work crew along with a $1,800 fine. Brown ignored the terms of his sentence, and in 2000 was sentenced to six months in jail for refusing the court-ordered counseling and community service. He was released after 3 months
Yes, that's someone to take some life lessons from.

This all started when Colin just decided to sit down during the anthem. He shouldn't have to stand for it if he doesn't want to. I would think Jim Brown would understand that just because you're a football player, doesn't mean you aren't a person too. One that might not want to celebrate a country with such a terrible history of treatment of its people.

I do like the "I don't desecrate the flag" thing he had to get in there and that he'll work in an "intelligent manner". He left off terrorizing women in his life, though. He does do that.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-15-17, 03:04 PM   #214
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-15-17, 06:59 PM   #215
DVD Talk Godfather

FFFFFFFFUck Jim Brown. He was a badass fighting for Black Folks back in the day and has done lots for Blacks...But now he's making excuses and throwing Kap under the bus to ease White People's comfort level.

It figures mspmms would post some ole Coon shit like that. "Look! This Black Man is a GOOD ONE! Not one of those trouble making Negroes like Kap!"

History of this 1967 Summit of Black Athletes pictured below

african_american_athletes_at_news_conference_af400c2cb31b07a9

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-15-17 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-15-17, 07:06 PM   #216
DVD Talk Godfather

Counterpoint to Jim Brown from Shannon Sharpe

https://blackamericaweb.com/2017/08/...nick-comments/

Quote:

And why is Jim Brown being looked at with the side eye these days by Sharpe and lots of others? It’s because the NFL legend, of all people, said he does not agree with Colin Kaepernick or any other player protesting during the national anthem.

Sharpe, the co-host of FS1’s “Undisputed” spoke with TMZ about what Brown said and he “wholeheartedly” disagrees with him.

“It’s disappointing because I don’t really know that there’s a right way and a wrong way to approach (protesting),” Sharpe said. “There’s a right and wrong way to handle black unarmed men and women in America. I think the thing is, things are different now. I’m sure they told him in 1967 summit (of black athletes) that it wasn’t the right way.”

“It’s disappointing because all it takes is one big-name person of color to really almost throw a wet blanket over the fire that’s being sparked with what Colin Kaepernick and others with the Black Lives Matter movement (are doing) — the positive people who are trying to change and have an impact,” Sharpe said. “You’re talking about Jim Brown, a guy who was a huge part of the 1967 summit, saying that Colin Kaepernick went about this wrong. That gives them all the credibility they need. That hurts the most and it’s so disappointing. I’m so, so disappointed in him. … I wholeheartedly disagree with everything he said.”
Old 09-18-17, 02:53 PM   #217
DVD Talk Hero

- Albert Bandura
Old 09-18-17, 04:05 PM   #218
DVD Talk Hero

David Clarke is the Stephen in Trump's Candyland.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-18-17, 04:12 PM   #219
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
David Clarke is the Stephen in Trump's Candyland.

- Albert Bandura
Old 09-18-17, 05:58 PM   #220
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-21-17, 11:01 AM   #221
DVD Talk Limited Edition

NFL ticket problem - 49ers-Rams for the price of two stadium pretzels

Cheaper than two $7.50 pretzels

Old 09-21-17, 11:12 AM   #222
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe if they renamed their organization to The National Kneeling League.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-21-17, 11:19 AM   #223
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Maybe if they renamed their organization to The National Kneeling League.
I gotta cartoon for that...

Old 09-21-17, 11:44 AM   #224
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
You are like a rush Limbaugh "ditto head" with that thumb. Say something.
Old 09-22-17, 10:33 AM   #225
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The San Francisco 49ers game against the Los Angeles Rams - Lot of fans dressed up as empty seats:

Spoiler: