Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-10-17, 07:31 PM   #126
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out [Bonus Pizza Discussion!]

Shouldn't we be pledging allegiance to Nike, Bank Of American and Chick Fil A when at a sporting event?
Old 09-10-17, 07:56 PM   #127
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out [Bonus Pizza Discussion!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post

In college football, there are 12 games and every single one matters.
But how many of them are joke squashes.Alabama,Ohio State,Michigan etc all have muliple games against non top 100 teams each year where the other teams best player couldn't make their practice squad. Would be like if the Clipppers scheduled a team from the Phillipino Basketball League on their schedule and it counted on their w-l record.
Old 09-10-17, 07:58 PM   #128
DVD Talk Godfather

The flag also represents freedom... you know, freedom to make millions upon millions of dollars playing a game. But you know, those poor disrespected players.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-10-17, 07:59 PM   #129
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
But how many of them are joke squashes.Alabama,Ohio State,Michigan etc all have muliple games against non top 100 teams each year where the other teams best player couldn't make their practice squad. Would be like if the Clipppers scheduled a team from the Phillipino Basketball League on their schedule and it counted on their w-l record.
True, but said game would be detrimental to their record if they did lose, however unlikely.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-10-17, 11:52 PM   #130
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Why? The flag represents centuries of oppression and death to many black people. Why should they respect the flag of a country that doesn't respect them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Thank you.

Also, unless the game is being played between teams hailing from different countries, why do we need any national anthems to be performed?

I also don't think we need compulsory and corporate prayer or the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in schools.

- Albert Bandura
Old 09-10-17, 11:57 PM   #131
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
Quote:
True, but said game would be detrimental to their record if they did lose, however unlikely.
I started to post almost the same exact sentiments as Aaron...right down to the Alabama vs. Podunk U example...but also agreed for the most part with M.C.

While pretty much all major colleges have a few gimmes that just pad their schedule, just considering the actual legitimate contests (let's face it: Appy St. beating Michigan is an aberration, not a regular thing), each potential loss has a huge impact due to the higher percentage effect with only 12 games.

So you're both right.
Old 09-11-17, 12:08 AM   #132
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
The flag also represents freedom... you know, freedom to make millions upon millions of dollars playing a game. But you know, those poor disrespected players.
Shouldn't we sing it for everything then? Why are sporting events so patriotic when you could make the same argument that every day McDonald's employees should have to stand for the national anthem?

I think it's a weird remnant from a different time that should just go away. Same with the Pledge in schools.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-11-17, 12:37 AM   #133
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Shouldn't we sing it for everything then? Why are sporting events so patriotic when you could make the same argument that every day McDonald's employees should have to stand for the national anthem?

I think it's a weird remnant from a different time that should just go away. Same with the Pledge in schools.
You're free to sing it...or not sing it...for whatever you want, as long as you're not violating any laws by doing so.

McDonald's employees can be required to stand for the national anthem if that is what the employer requires, just as their private employer can require them to wear unflattering standard uniforms as part of the job.

In contrast, though, the general public cannot be required to stand for the national anthem. See this for reference:

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/col...bYZT3S3AkzJGK/

As to why it should be played at sporting events, might as well ask why there is a seventh-inning stretch, why "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" is played, why people wave "terrible towels," why annoying "theme" songs are played repetitively throughout games, etc. It's a tradition...apparently one that a majority of people still want.

There is no law mandating the playing of the national anthem nor respectful behavior during its playing or during the displaying of the flag. That's up to each individual and/or to the sponsors of the events.
Old 09-11-17, 12:53 AM   #134
Time Lord

Quote:
So, because they get paid a lot, they're not allowed to hold and express political opinions?

Demanding that someone stand for a flag or a national anthem is nothing but the fetishization of patriotism. I'd rather someone took a stand (or in this case a knee) to protest inequality than say "Well I know it's wrong but the flag is more important than the lives of the people in my community." Fuck that noise.
Old 09-11-17, 01:25 AM   #135
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
You're free to sing it...or not sing it...for whatever you want, as long as you're not violating any laws by doing so.

McDonald's employees can be required to stand for the national anthem if that is what the employer requires, just as their private employer can require them to wear unflattering standard uniforms as part of the job.

In contrast, though, the general public cannot be required to stand for the national anthem. See this for reference:

http://www.ajc.com/news/national/col...bYZT3S3AkzJGK/

As to why it should be played at sporting events, might as well ask why there is a seventh-inning stretch, why "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" is played, why people wave "terrible towels," why annoying "theme" songs are played repetitively throughout games, etc. It's a tradition...apparently one that a majority of people still want.

There is no law mandating the playing of the national anthem nor respectful behavior during its playing or during the displaying of the flag. That's up to each individual and/or to the sponsors of the events.
Who said anything about laws?

Players are being blamed for the loss of viewership (which directly equals money) because they don't want to stand for the anthem. I say - get rid of the anthem. Problem solved!

In my job, we occasionally have guests who start to cause issues outside of the TV show itself. When they become more trouble than they are worth, we no longer have them on the show. Even if they've been on for a long time and even if our viewers love them. Sometimes you just have to cut bait.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-11-17, 01:47 AM   #136
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven;131542999 Who said anything about laws?

Players are being blamed for the loss of viewership (which directly equals money) because they don't want to stand for the anthem. I say - get rid of the anthem. Problem solved!

In my job, we occasionally have guests who start to cause issues outside of the TV show itself. When they become more trouble than they are worth, we no longer have them on the show. Even if they've been on for a long time and even if our viewers love them. Sometimes you just have to cut bait.
You said "should have to stand."

If it's not mandated, then it's a choice. My point about laws is that it's not illegal to stay seated, kneel, whatever. So the individual has a choice.

The code I posted says that people "should" stand, not "must stand." That means that it's regarded as the courteous, recommended practice. It's an opinion. Who says? Evidently, a majority of citizens.

Your opinion is that the singing of the anthem and reciting of the Pledge should go away. You have that freedom of to express that opinion, just as others have the right to disagree. The business owners and school authorities will generally respond to the majority of citizens in discretionary matters, whether the reasons be financial, social, or political.

There is no right or wrong answer. If the league decide to do away with the anthem altogether or to make it optional and a matter for individual owners to decide, they can do so. Continuing or discontinuing the practice is not a Constitutional issue.

You offer one solution to the problem. Others offer different solutions...allow the players to do as they wish, get rid of players who don't comply with owners' wishes ("cut bait"), etc. Whatever approach is taken will not satisfy everyone.

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-11-17 at 01:53 AM.
Old 09-11-17, 02:06 AM   #137
Banned

And when a subjective majority is tolerant of bigotry and racism.... kneeling during their precious anthem is just fine.
Old 09-11-17, 09:52 AM   #138
DVD Talk Hero

NFL Obscures Anthem Protests With Enormous American Flags

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...can_flags.html

- Albert Bandura
Old 09-11-17, 09:56 AM   #139
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
So, because they get paid a lot, they're not allowed to hold and express political opinions?

Demanding that someone stand for a flag or a national anthem is nothing but the fetishization of patriotism. I'd rather someone took a stand (or in this case a knee) to protest inequality than say "Well I know it's wrong but the flag is more important than the lives of the people in my community." Fuck that noise.
We live in a country that would rather protect the rights of Nazis who promote genocide than an athlete who is protesting against genocide.

Gotta love it!

- Albert Bandura
Old 09-11-17, 10:12 AM   #140
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't understand people's fascination with anthem protests. During Thursday Night's game, the camera was held on the one team member who didn't stand for like 5-10 sec during the anthem. After, the announcers felt it necessary to mention that only one player decided to protest and named him. No viewer would have noticed if it wasn't for the network shining a giant fucking light on it.
Old 09-11-17, 10:15 AM   #141
DVD Talk Legend

Because what else are they going to do during the Anthem. People at home don't care about it, hell people in the stands view it as an inconvenience.
Old 09-11-17, 10:16 AM   #142
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep the camera on whoever is singing and have the announcers keep their mouths shut?
Old 09-11-17, 10:24 AM   #143
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
I don't understand people's fascination with anthem protests. During Thursday Night's game, the camera was held on the one team member who didn't stand for like 5-10 sec during the anthem. After, the announcers felt it necessary to mention that only one player decided to protest and named him. No viewer would have noticed if it wasn't for the network shining a giant fucking light on it.
Because they think they are delivering what some really sad viewers want to see. But they are going to have their work cut out for them in the future. The total number of players taking a knee, or a seat on the bench, seems to be growing week to week. Especially after the Michael Bennett incident.
Old 09-11-17, 10:29 AM   #144
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post

The pledge in school is very important. We should definitely keep it. It's my opportunity to look around for whoever is abstaining. How else am I going to know who the assholes are?
Old 09-11-17, 10:37 AM   #145
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
The pledge in school is very important. We should definitely keep it. It's my opportunity to look around for whoever is abstaining. How else am I going to know who the assholes are?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...eywords=mirror
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 09-11-17, 10:38 AM   #146
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Why are you looking around in that time? Shouldn't you be taking your pledge seriously and looking at the flag?
Old 09-11-17, 10:43 AM   #147
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Old 09-11-17, 10:45 AM   #148
Banned

Old 09-11-17, 10:47 AM   #149
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-11-17, 10:50 AM   #150
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Why are you looking around in that time?
There was a lady saving seats that needed yelling at.