Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-08-17, 02:47 PM   #101
DVD Talk Legend

re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out [Bonus Pizza Discussion!]

If you don't like racism then definitely stay away from soccer. The European leagues are so nationalist it would make Hitler blush. And there's a contingent that is overtly against blacks on the field.
Old 09-08-17, 04:03 PM   #102

re: National anthem protests top reason NFL viewers tuned out [Bonus Pizza Discussion!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Well, they keep saying he's a shit player on top of the protests. i mean, they don't even hide the fact that a "good player" can get away with whatever the fuck he wants to do.
I don't really follow the NFL, and I realize the QB passer rating is problematic, but in comparison with a few of his peers he seems a bit better than 'shit':

"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)
Old 09-08-17, 04:06 PM   #103
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I've been hearing about the growing popularity of soccer since the mid 80's when I was growing up and that's what all the kids were playing. It never translated. It's a niche sport here like hockey and I don't think that's ever going to change.
I wouldn't consider hockey quite a niche sport. It is considered one of the four major professional team sports in the US, albeit it is fourth (and a fair number of the teams are Canadian). But there's a huge, enormous gap between hockey and soccer.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 09-08-17, 04:11 PM   #104
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Well, they keep saying he's a shit player on top of the protests. i mean, they don't even hide the fact that a "good player" can get away with whatever the fuck he wants to do.
Yeah, Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers (and some others) could shoot somebody on 5th Avenue and they'd give them a contract extension and a raise (well, maybe not Brady because of his age).
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 09-08-17, 04:15 PM   #105
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I don't really follow the NFL, and I realize the QB passer rating is problematic, but in comparison with a few of his peers he seems a bit better than 'shit':

I think the overwhelming issue for teams is that he's not good enough to deal with the extra media attention that would come with signing him. I like Kap, I agree with his right to do what he did, but I think teams are looking out for themselves here, which is what they always do. If he were as good as he was his first few seasons, he'd have been signed already. But instead, he's an average QB.
Old 09-08-17, 04:24 PM   #106
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmr1723 View Post
The NFL's biggest problem is the product on the field. The game has become bloated and boring the last few years. I don't need to spend 3+ hours watching 30 minutes of actual play while listening to Phil Simms saying dumb ass shit. The college game is kicking its ass right now in entertainment value. Add soccer into the mix and it's got an even bigger problem. I've never played soccer or thought of watching it, but I'd rather go watch FC Cincinnati (lower than MLS) for 2 hours than the NFL at this point.
I love college football but the endless halftimes (I know, every marching band has to do a big show) and the clock stopping on every first down could be done away with.

Quote:
And...it's crazy that Kap has been blackballed while people convicted of horrible crimes get a second, third, fourth chance. Just another reason for me to avoid the league.
It may be wrong but for whatever reason too many people tune out because of "Kap" and football is a business.

I am a Dolphin fan and I would consider Kaepernick and Cutler to be at about the same level of mediocrity and I can understand why Miami went with Cutler (not to mention that the Dolphin coach worked with Cutler at Denver).

- David French
Old 09-08-17, 04:25 PM   #107
DVD Talk Legend

National anthems are stupid and so is football.
Old 09-08-17, 04:34 PM   #108
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
[A.]National anthems are stupid [B.] and so is football.
A.) At sporting events, right (except for the Olympics)

B.) Very, very wrong. And unAmerican.

- David French
Old 09-08-17, 04:41 PM   #109
Time Lord

Quote:
Agreed!
Old 09-09-17, 01:01 AM   #110
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib View Post
I wouldn't consider hockey quite a niche sport. It is considered one of the four major professional team sports in the US, albeit it is fourth (and a fair number of the teams are Canadian). But there's a huge, enormous gap between hockey and soccer.
Hockey seems to be regionally popular in the US.

Where I'm from (midwest farm country) nobody gives a rat's ass. But it does appear to be quite popular on the coasts and north. Maybe you need a NHL team in your city/state to care.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-09-17, 02:09 AM   #111
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

Where I'm from (midwest farm country) nobody gives a rat's ass. But it does appear to be quite popular on the coasts and north. Maybe you need a NHL team in your city/state to care.
No NHL team in Wisconsin. But, of course, I am from the north.

I'm a big Blackhawks fan and have been for almost 60 years. I have a decades old Starter Blackhawks jacket and I get thumbs up and compliments almost every time I wear it. Lots of Hawks fans here.

Hockey is also popular because of UW men's and women's hockey. Both teams have won NCAA championships. And there is a lot of high school hockey too.

- David French
Old 09-09-17, 08:04 AM   #112
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Agreed!
Oh yeah? Well I don't like that thing that you like, either.

Old 09-09-17, 10:36 AM   #113
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thoughts from a casual NFL fan (on why ratings are down), take it for what it is...

-I'm sick of Tom Brady and the Patriots.
-ESPN (which I think is important to the popularity of the NFL) has become unwatchable.
-The NFL has dominated U.S. sports for so long, it was bound to start falling at some point. As the country gets more Latino, soccer will rise and football won't.
-Roger Goodell does nothing except make mistakes.
-I think the "no fun league" aspect has caught up with the NFL. Let a guy celebrate!
Old 09-09-17, 10:41 AM   #114
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post
-ESPN (which I think is important to the popularity of the NFL) has become unwatchable.
-The NFL has dominated U.S. sports for so long, it was bound to start falling at some point. As the country gets more Latino, soccer will rise and football won't.
-I think the "no fun league" aspect has caught up with the NFL. Let a guy celebrate!
I was a casual watcher but have pretty much given up (my wife watched more than me) for all the same reasons.

I came back : ESPN & NFL adding / infusing politics was not wise - sports to me were an escape from that.

Last edited by mspmms; 09-09-17 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-09-17, 10:58 AM   #115
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Thoughts from a casual NFL fan (on why ratings are down), take it for what it is...

Still awaiting the forever-promised explosion of popularity for soccer.

For some reason, the most obnoxious celebration in the NFL, the Lambeau Leap, is exempt from any rules.

- David French
Old 09-09-17, 11:00 AM   #116
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

For me, the reason for decreased viewing is the CTE stuff. I spent 40 years where football was my life. Played it everyday elementary thru college. Played fantasy before the Internet. Memorized stats. Watched videos all year long. I've literally thought about the Vikings every day since 1972. But the way the sport affects so many participants late in life, and the NFL's lying ways about it, has me very close to completely abandoning football.
Old 09-09-17, 11:28 AM   #117
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:

They did away with the celebration penalties this year, so that's one down. And hopefully you saw the Chiefs kick Brady's ass on Thursday.
Old 09-09-17, 01:07 PM   #118
DVD Talk Legend

The biggest outrage over this seem to come from the avid second amendment nuts but pissing on freedom of expression is ok.
Old 09-09-17, 01:22 PM   #119
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

I'd say hockey is as popular as the other big 4 in say certain parts of the midwest,alaska and northeast. But in warm weather places and in parts of the South hockey is an afterthought. Even In LA the Kings probably get beat by high school football in tv ratings on friday and sat.

I'd say the real big 4 in America is NFL,College Football,Basketball and Baseball with Hockey,Nascar and Golf as the midtier ahead of all the sports with niche fanbases.
Old 09-09-17, 02:05 PM   #120
DVD Talk Reviewer

Personally, I still watch, but not as much, and it's primarily because of injuries.

It's pretty sad watching guys get season-ending injuries within the first minutes at the start of each season, not to mention CTE and other head injuries.

Nevertheless, go #seahawks !
Old 09-10-17, 02:55 AM   #121
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronHernandez View Post
I'd say hockey is as popular as the other big 4 in say certain parts of the midwest,alaska and northeast. But in warm weather places and in parts of the South hockey is an afterthought. Even In LA the Kings probably get beat by high school football in tv ratings on friday and sat.

I'd say the real big 4 in America is NFL,College Football,Basketball and Baseball with Hockey,Nascar and Golf as the midtier ahead of all the sports with niche fanbases.
I wonder if NASCAR is popular where hockey isn't and vice versa.

Where I'm from, the most popular sports seem to be NFL football, college football, college basketball, and NASCAR, though NASCAR seem to have lost a lot of the popularity that it enjoyed ten years ago. The second tier of popularity would probably be NBA basketball and MLB baseball.

It seems to me that NCAA basketball, March Madness in particular, is actually more popular than the NBA. Might just be where I'm from, because there a lot of competitive college teams and not a lot of NBA action.

I also think there's a lack of interest in baseball because there isn't a lot of contact. Folks seem to enjoy football players getting knocked around and basketball players getting fouled.

No interest in NHL hockey, and no interest in soccer except for when the USA (men or women) is in the World Cup.

Pro golf only seems to be of interest to men who play golf themselves.

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 09-10-17, 08:00 AM   #122
DVD Talk Legend

Many may be abandoning sports over the national anthem, but it's likely they're doing so over the butchering of the lyrics & tune.

Old 09-10-17, 08:51 AM   #123
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm not a fan of the kneeling. Respect the flag, period. If a player or team wants to protest and bring to light their political views, let them put their money where their mouth is. Show up at the coin toss in jeans and a t-shirt and sit out a game or two.

Quote:
I wonder if NASCAR is popular where hockey isn't and vice versa.

Where I'm from, the most popular sports seem to be NFL football, college football, college basketball, and NASCAR, though NASCAR seem to have lost a lot of the popularity that it enjoyed ten years ago. The second tier of popularity would probably be NBA basketball and MLB baseball.

It seems to me that NCAA basketball, March Madness in particular, is actually more popular than the NBA. Might just be where I'm from, because there a lot of competitive college teams and not a lot of NBA action.

I also think there's a lack of interest in baseball because there isn't a lot of contact. Folks seem to enjoy football players getting knocked around and basketball players getting fouled.

No interest in NHL hockey, and no interest in soccer except for when the USA (men or women) is in the World Cup.

Pro golf only seems to be of interest to men who play golf themselves.
Yeah around here (no pro teams) College Basketball reigns supreme followed by college football, NFL and then a tossup between NBA & MLB. Although college baseball and soccer could be giving the NBA & MLB a run for their money.

I think the problem with baseball isn't contact, it's the fact that there are 162 freaking games. No one game really matters like it does in football or basketball. The outcome of individual games means very little. Your team drops one or two this weekend? Who cares, they have 150+ more to go. On top of that, who wants to watch 162 baseball games?

In college football, there are 12 games and every single one matters. NFL is similar with 16 game seasons. In college basketball, it's not quite that drastic, but you go on a 2-3 game skid and things start looking shaky. All three sports are appointment TV. If you're team is playing, you schedule around them. With baseball you can miss 2-3 dozen and not even miss a beat. You go about your life and it's more like "I'll catch the next one." The stakes are too low.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-10-17, 06:00 PM   #124
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I'm not a fan of the kneeling. Respect the flag, period. If a player or team wants to protest and bring to light their political views, let them put their money where their mouth is. Show up at the coin toss in jeans and a t-shirt and sit out a game or two.
Why? The flag represents centuries of oppression and death to many black people. Why should they respect the flag of a country that doesn't respect them?
Old 09-10-17, 06:37 PM   #125
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Why? The flag represents centuries of oppression and death to many black people. Why should they respect the flag of a country that doesn't respect them?
Thank you.

Also, unless the game is being played between teams hailing from different countries, why do we need any national anthems to be performed?

I also don't think we need compulsory and corporate prayer or the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance in schools.