Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Attacks On Women In Saudi Arabia's Kingdom

Old 07-18-17, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Attacks On Women In Saudi Arabia's Kingdom

Saudi woman arrested after wearing miniskirt in video

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/saudi-wo...rop-top-video/

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Police in Saudi Arabia have arrested a young woman who wore a miniskirt in public and posted the video online, sparking backlash from people who say she flagrantly violated the kingdom's conservative Islamic dress code.

Saudi Arabia's state-run TV reported Tuesday that police in the capital, Riyadh, arrested the woman for wearing "immodest clothes" and referred her case to the country's public prosecutor.

The young Saudi woman drew attention over the weekend when she shared on Snapchat a video of herself walking in a historic village north of the capital wearing a miniskirt and crop top, and showing her hair.

Saudi Arabia has strict dress codes for men and women. Women must wear loose, long robes and most also cover their face.

CBS News has not confirmed the authenticity of the following video clip -- which has been posted on Twitter -- but it appears to show the woman in a miniskirt and black crop top as many have described:
I wonder how the Trump Admin will respond to this.

Spoiler:
"She's is really in great shape!"
Old 07-18-17, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Attacks On Women In Saudi Arabia's Kingdom

I wonder how they fou d out who she was.
Old 07-18-17, 06:42 PM
Political Exile

This is a tweet from Women's March organizer Linda Sarsour:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170123...73703588700160

10 weeks of PAID maternity leave in Saudi Arabia. Yes PAID. And ur worrying about women driving. Puts us to shame.

So I would be very curious to hear her opinion of this newest incident.
Old 07-18-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by grundle View Post

Isn't it sad that a country as backwards about women as Saudi Arabia has a better maternity policy than the United States? Or do you disagree with their views on maternity leave too?

If Nazis were strong proponents of vaccinating their kids, I wouldn't not vaccinate my own because of that.
Old 07-18-17, 11:36 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Isn't it sad that a country as backwards about women as Saudi Arabia has a better maternity policy than the United States? Or do you disagree with their views on maternity leave too?

If Nazis were strong proponents of vaccinating their kids, I wouldn't not vaccinate my own because of that.
I think that paid maternity leave is a great idea for working mothers, and a horrible idea for her childless coworkers who often end up having to do extra work to make up for the missing employee.
Old 07-18-17, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that paid maternity leave is a great idea for working mothers, and a horrible idea for her childless coworkers who often end up having to do extra work to make up for the missing employee.
Yikes. Okay then
Old 07-19-17, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

What about working parents whose kids are school age or higher? Surely they can kick in some support. Fucking slackers!
Old 07-19-17, 04:35 AM
Banned

Hmmm. Just a few immediate reactions to those sentiments along with an observation about internet biases.

1. The "Saudi Gazette" link appears to be broken, so not sure exactly how the "10-week" policy is applied. Are small business owners (say, the owner of a small bakery) required to give all of their female employees ten weeks' paid maternity leave? Does the Saudi government subsidize those who can't afford to do so? Does this discourage businesses from hiring females?

2. While your "Nazi" analogy may be entirely logical in principle, I have seen similar analogies being used by internet posters as an excuse to attack the analogy creator by alleging the writer is somehow expressing "pro-Nazi" (or slavery or KKK or whatever) sentiments. If someone made that allegation toward you based upon your post, I would call that charge preposterous...yet that is exactly what often happens in other cases depending upon the political/social/religious bent of some. Not only is it preposterous; it's highly selective and inconsistent "outrage" that only stifles actual discussion. Yet it happens all the time.

3. Not in your post above but in your follow-up comment: Why "yikes?" It would seem that grundle is making a valid point about "worker inequality" (unless you are suggesting that a tit-for-tat ten-week paid leave should be provided to all workers). It falls under the same category as complaints about affording "smoke breaks" to employees who smoke (while still on the clock)...it's commonly known that this perquisite causes resentment among non-smoking workers.
Old 07-19-17, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Goodwin?

Also, pics of this broad or GTFO.
Old 07-19-17, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-19-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, the issue is that companies like mine only give 6 weeks and so we're just expected to suck it up while they're gone.

Now I don't really mind, especially since I got to take 6 weeks of paternity leave.

My thinking is, if it were more like 10 weeks, or even 6-10 months like some countries, then it would be worth the trouble to bring in a temp worker. For a 6 week leave, you'll spend most of that time getting them up to speed and as soon as they start to get the hang of it, they're gone.

That's my only issue with paid leave as it currently stands.
Old 07-19-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Sand dunes!? Sand dunes! How predictable. Where's the one where she's on a camel?
Old 07-19-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Something like this and I'd give her some points:
-NSFW thong edition
Spoiler:
Old 07-19-17, 11:56 AM
RIP

Old 07-19-17, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
She should come to America. Land of the free. And my rent-free spare bedroom.
Old 07-19-17, 01:09 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

See? Simply looking at her picture induces impure thoughts. Perhaps we should implement that burkha requirement over here.
Old 07-19-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

News is now saying that she was released after a few hours of questioning, so that's something.
Old 07-19-17, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
See? Simply looking at her picture induces impure thoughts. Perhaps we should implement that burkha requirement over here.
Good point. I've been a baaaaaaddddd boy.

*takes out cat o nine tails*
Old 07-19-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If Nazis gave maternity leave to Jewish women would you be ok with Nazis?

Why is maternity leave somehow a demonstration of Saudi Arabia's treatment of women. You have no idea about that place. The only reason why I mention SA so much, is because of 9/11, and because I do hear stories from women who have actually been there and lived there and finally escaped that shithole that everyone loves. There are so many women that are abused in SA, it's not even comparable to say that "they have maternity leave".
Old 07-19-17, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All I'm saying is that a good idea doesn't become a bad idea when bad people do it.
Old 07-21-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have too strong of an opinion on Linda Sarsour at the moment but it's not like she hasn't criticized Saudia Arabia before.