Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Old 10-14-18, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
If Ted ďIíll Lick Trumpís Sack No Matter What He Says About My Wife And DadĒ Cruz hasnít already turned people off, heís got it in the bag.
I've definitely seen more Cruz yard signs pop up in the last week or two. They outnumber the Beto signs in my area now.
Old 10-15-18, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
I've definitely seen more Cruz yard signs pop up in the last week or two. They outnumber the Beto signs in my area now.
Yeah, the two latest polls have Cruz +9 and +9.1 respectively.
Old 10-15-18, 05:24 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

That's depressing.
Old 10-15-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He was never going to win.

Most undecided (moderate/independent/centrist) voters are just vacillating republicans.

They’ll look at someone like Beto and think “maybe” but as the election nears, they’ll end up swinging back to Cruz.
Old 10-15-18, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So what would a Republican have to do to lose that Texas Senate race in the future? Because it seemed like a bit of a perfect storm in a charismatic Democratic contender and a mostly-ridiculed incumbent, but it may not even be close.

I guess deceptive, scummy-but-somehow-not-illegal mailers actually work...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/u...ng-letter.html
Old 10-15-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
So what would a Republican have to do to lose that Texas Senate race in the future? Because it seemed like a bit of a perfect storm in a charismatic Democratic contender and a mostly-ridiculed incumbent, but it may not even be close.

I guess deceptive, scummy-but-somehow-not-illegal mailers actually work...

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/17/u...ng-letter.html
Itís Texas. Itís a solid red state. The republican party is the majority of the votersí ride or die.

Theyíre going to stick with the GOP candidate no matter what.

Look at Kansas... Brownback and the republican majority in Topeka have turned that state into a fucking wasteland. The state hates Brownback. They hate the republicans in the state legislature. But they hate democrats more. And in three weeks theyíre going to hand the governorship over to Kobach and keep the control of the state in the hands the party that turned it into a third world country.
Old 10-15-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
It’s Texas. It’s a solid red state. The republican party is the majority of the voters’ ride or die.

They’re going to stick with the GOP candidate no matter what.

Look at Kansas... Brownback and the republican majority in Topeka have turned that state into a fucking wasteland. The state hates Brownback. They hate the republicans in the state legislature. But they hate democrats more. And in three weeks they’re going to hand the governorship over to Kobach and keep the control of the state in the hands the party that turned it into a third world country.
Considering the majority of votes come from straight ticket voting (which I have no idea why that's even allowed), I guess I'm not surprised.

That Linklater directed ad is amazing though. As is the anti Gosar one from last month for the Arizona race, which Gosar will still win handily.
Old 10-15-18, 01:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

^ I just came across another Linklater ad.

I was watching SNL this weekend on the local NBC affiliate station (whatever it is), and every other ad was a political ad. And there were a couple of Beto ads, and y'know... he didn't come off great. It's hard to explain. Don't get me wrong... I'd still vote for the guy in a heartbeat, but I can see why fence-sitters or right-of-center folks are going to stick with "Tough" Ted, as fucking terrible as that is.

Last edited by Dan; 10-15-18 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fact check: Looks about right. The closest locations to Texas are in Missouri, unless Ted eats the frozen ones out of the grocery freezer section.
Old 10-15-18, 01:56 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Fact check: Looks about right. The closest locations to Texas are in Missouri, unless Ted eats the frozen ones out of the grocery freezer section.
Gross. I bet he does.

Fact check #2: There are NO White Castle locations in Canada.
Old 10-15-18, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Fact check #2: There are NO White Castle locations in Canada.
More proof that Canada is a superior country
Old 10-15-18, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In Nevada, we won't have a Gubernatorial debate before the election because the Democrat, Steve Sisolak won't agree to do one hosted by the Las Vegas Review Journal which is owned by heavy Republican donor (both meanings to that phrase apply, BTW) Sheldon Adelson, and the paper has been very clearly pro-Laxalt (the Republican candidate) and their campaign won't agree to let a less biased organization host it.

Both the Governor and Senate races are Neck & Neck.

https://thenevadaindependent.com/art...feature-debate
Old 10-15-18, 03:16 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Itís Texas. Itís a solid red state. The republican party is the majority of the votersí ride or die.
I agree it's a long shot for Beto to win, but two things:
- Texas has gone Democrat before.
- Texas is a low voter turn-out state, so you don't have to swing the whole state to blue, just get your supporters to go vote. I hope that's where Beto's enthusiasm advantage will help him.

Old 10-16-18, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
Can you really blame the voters? Ted Cruz asked many Americans to put up signs in the late 60s and early 70s in Northern California. The one's who didn't comply met a grizzly fate.
Old 10-16-18, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Do Elizabeth Warren and Hillary Clinton NOT want Democrat politicians to win in the mid-term? Between Warren releasing her DNA results and Hillary defending Bill's relationship with Monica Lewinsky they are giving hesitant voters reasons to be distracted.
Old 10-16-18, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Do Elizabeth Warren and Hillary Clinton NOT want Democrat politicians to win in the mid-term? Between Warren releasing her DNA results and Hillary defending Bill's relationship with Monica Lewinsky they are giving hesitant voters reasons to be distracted.

this is why i hate people playing sides. Because they are dumb on both ends. Dems are trying to lose. Just shut up!
Old 10-16-18, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It shouldn't matter what they do - Trump's daily shenanigans negate ANYTHING a Dem candidate does between now and November 6th.

Unfortunately, they'll just fall back into "both sides are equally bad" and vote for Repubs to protect Dear Leader.
Old 10-16-18, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I donít know why Warren did what she did, or why she did it now. Seems silly to me.

As for Hillary Clinton, she gave an interview and the reporter brought it up. Once a reporter chooses to bring up Billís affair, thereís no way Hillary can win. If she had thrown Bill under the bus, that would have been just as bad, if not worse. Thereís no good answer she can give. Short of Hillary becoming a hermit, Iím not sure thereís anything she can do (and recall that when she wasnít appearing in public after the election, we got all sorts of ďwhy isnít Hillary weighing inĒ complaints from the punditocracy).
Old 10-16-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, they have a point, one side locks up children away from their parents and the other side has... [checks_notes] ...email server issues... so yeah, both sides, equally bad.
Old 10-16-18, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Short of Hillary becoming a hermit, Iím not sure thereís anything she can do (and recall that when she wasnít appearing in public after the election, we got all sorts of ďwhy isnít Hillary weighing inĒ complaints from the punditocracy).
I don't think it's too much to ask her to be a hermit until after the election.
Old 10-16-18, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
I don't think it's too much to ask her to be a hermit until after the election.
ďOMG why isnít Hillary out campaigning for Democrats???? Itís like she wants Republicans to retain control of Congress!Ē
Old 10-16-18, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Well, they have a point, one side locks up children away from their parents and the other side has... [checks_notes] ...email server issues... so yeah, both sides, equally bad.
Dems did it before. Just not publicized as much. Border patrol agent cousin laughs at that all the time.
Old 10-16-18, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Dems did it before. Just not publicized as much. Border patrol agent cousin laughs at that all the time.
It is REALLY funny
Old 10-16-18, 11:36 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
As for Hillary Clinton, she gave an interview and the reporter brought it up. Once a reporter chooses to bring up Bill’s affair, there’s no way Hillary can win. If she had thrown Bill under the bus, that would have been just as bad, if not worse. There’s no good answer she can give.
That's how I feel about Hillary Clinton.

Hold her accountable for all the things she did, including in her time as First Lady.

But:
- Don't blame her for what Bill did.
- Don't question why she married Bill, or stays married to Bill. It's her own decision.
- Don't call her a whore.
Old 10-16-18, 11:38 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Dems did it before. Just not publicized as much.
Just not as much. And without the Draconian efforts to keep children separated essentially forever.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.