Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Old 11-16-17, 07:12 AM

re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Hey, let's add some casual antisemitism to the mix too.

Alabama Robocall Impersonates a Washington Post Reporter Willing to Pay for Dirt on Roy Moore

Adding further muck to the already deeply icky Alabama Senate race is local CBS affiliate WKRG-TV's report Tuesday that a robocall by someone posing as a Washington Post reporter had been caught on the voicemail of a local pastor. During the 25-second recorded call, a man posing as “Lenny Bernstein,” a Washington Post reporter, says he’s looking for women “willing to make damaging remarks” about Roy Moore in return for “a reward of between 5,000 and 7,000 dollars.” Everything about the portrayal of the reporter is cartoonish down to his unrecognizable, vaguely Bostony accent.
Old 11-16-17, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Brought to you by the party of

Old 11-16-17, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oof. Add Al Franken to the list of harassers now too.

Senator Al Franken Kissed and Groped Me Without My Consent, And There’s Nothing Funny About It

Sucks, as I like Franken as a senator, but if we're gonna be consistent, get him the fuck out of there!

The picture of him grabbing her boobs while she's asleep is especially jarring.

Old 11-16-17, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Senate will be filled with 100 women next year at the rate these men are going in Hollywood and Washington.
Old 11-16-17, 10:47 AM

If Franken resigns (as he should) his seat will be up for grabs. I doubt it will affect the balance of the senate but I'm not too familiar with the current political climate in Minnesota.
Old 11-16-17, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
If Franken resigns (as he should) his seat will be up for grabs. I doubt it will affect the balance of the senate but I'm not too familiar with the current political climate in Minnesota.
Clinton won the state last year by about 1.5% Klobuchar was re-elected in 2012 by an overwhelming margin, Franken was re-elected in 2014 by about 2%. The current governor, Mark Dayton is a Democrat - technically, DFL (Democratic-Farmer-Labor) - and won in 2014 by about 5.5%. I would say it's a somewhat safe Democratic seat.
Old 11-16-17, 10:59 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Shit. Fuck. This is disappointing. It's not equivalent to the Roy Moore issue, but if we're going to hold politicians to account for being sexually inappropriate, we have told all of them to the same standard regardless of party affiliation.

In unrelated news, Princess Leia accuses Chewbacca of groping her 40 years ago:

Old 11-16-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But the 12 disciples kissed and groped Mary Magdelene without her consent on numerous occasions.
Old 11-16-17, 11:15 AM
Banned by request

Yep, Franken should go. And maybe unlike Moore he'll have some decorum about it.
Old 11-16-17, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They're going to be voting on the tax bill soon. Anyone want to place any bets on how it will go down (and also the subsequent mid-term fall-out?)
Old 11-16-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I predict Franken will do the right thing. He knows what the stakes are for Democrats.
Old 11-16-17, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn Franken. SMH.
Old 11-16-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
They're going to be voting on the tax bill soon. Anyone want to place any bets on how it will go down (and also the subsequent mid-term fall-out?)
They seem pretty confident it will pass.
Old 11-16-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
I predict Franken will do the right thing.
Apologize and cooperate fully with any investigation?

The calls for him to resign are just a little bit over the top, don't you think?

The photo is clearly not sexual assault. She's wearing a flak jacket, for FFS. He's mugging for the camera. Legally speaking, it's the equivalent of putting a "kick me" sign on her back. Is it crass? Absolutely. Is it inappropriate to use other people as props in your jokes without their consent? 100%. Franken was wrong, and this "humor" is inappropriate. That doesn't make it sexual assault.

As for the kissing, that's got the potential to be more troubling. Viewing things in the light most unfavorably to Franken, he wrote a kissing sketch and then pressured this woman into acting it out. That's gross and it is problematic. But I want to get more facts before I leap to the conclusion that the light most unfavorable to Franken is the correct light, because there are some red flags here as well. So let's see whether there was anyone else on this tour who remembers it, or friends of Ms. Tweeden she spoke to at the time, or a contemporaneous diary or journal entry where she expresses displeasure. It's possible Franken coerced her into kissing him, and it's possible she was willing to kiss him for a skit. Let's find out the truth.
Old 11-16-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The photo I saw looks like he is just pretending to grope her. Is there another picture where he is making contact with her?
Old 11-16-17, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Better statement from Franken, still not good enough...

Imagine Roy Moore making an apology like that...
Old 11-16-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

man, that's a bummer about Franklin. I will say this, though. If he wrote a sketch with a kiss in it, I could see how a "wild crazy, super tongue-y" kiss could be "funnier" in the confines of a sketch. But it would be pretty shitty not to warn her about that before hand.
Old 11-16-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Better statement from Franken, still not good enough...

Imagine Roy Moore making an apology like that...
Jesus Christ, are you kidding me? Yeah, imagine Roy Moore apologizing for not realizing that it's inappropriate to try to fuck a 14-year-old when you're in your 30s. That would be a hell of a start. You do know that even if we paint Franken's actions in the worst possible light, there's still miles of daylight between what he did and statutory rape?

Franken made a crass joke.

He may or may not have kissed a woman who may or may not have protested.

Yeah, let's get to the bottom of it. But don't fucking compare that to an army of teenagers coming forward to talk about the creepy district attorney who took them into the woods. No fucking wonder Democrats have trouble winning a race for dog catcher. Sean Hannity hints that you might be a hypocrite and you trip over yourself trying to purge the party.
Old 11-16-17, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Then we're fucked. But, also *they* will be fucked come November 2018...
Old 11-16-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PatD View Post
Then we're fucked. But, also *they* will be fucked come November 2018...
I'll try to keep that in mind when I'm writing a check to the IRS for an additional 2 or 3 thousand dollars in April
Old 11-16-17, 12:28 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I'll try to keep that in mind when I'm writing a check to the IRS for an additional 2 or 3 thousand dollars in April
Yeah, I'm getting fucked with this tax reform. I wouldn't mind paying a bit more if corporations and millionaires/billionaires also paid more, but they won't.
Old 11-16-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would this bill effect what you pay in April? I would think it wouldn't be able to go into effect until the NEXT year.
Old 11-16-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Are they? I thought the NY/CA/NJ/etc. were in revolt over the State Income Tax Deduction. I suppose Ryan wouldn't bring it to a vote if he didn't think he had the votes, though.
Old 11-16-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Would this bill effect what you pay in April? I would think it wouldn't be able to go into effect until the NEXT year.
Said it before -- the carbon blobs won't see the impact until after the 2018 mid-terms.
Old 11-16-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Jesus Christ, are you kidding me? Yeah, imagine Roy Moore apologizing for not realizing that it's inappropriate to try to fuck a 14-year-old when you're in your 30s. That would be a hell of a start. You do know that even if we paint Franken's actions in the worst possible light, there's still miles of daylight between what he did and statutory rape?

Franken made a crass joke.

He may or may not have kissed a woman who may or may not have protested.

Yeah, let's get to the bottom of it. But don't fucking compare that to an army of teenagers coming forward to talk about the creepy district attorney who took them into the woods. No fucking wonder Democrats have trouble winning a race for dog catcher. Sean Hannity hints that you might be a hypocrite and you trip over yourself trying to purge the party.
Settle down there tiger, I wasn't conflating the two, if anything, I was pointing out how Moore is much worse, not just his response to the allegations, but the allegations themselves.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.