Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Old 08-29-18, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Go for fapper vote. Easy victory
Old 08-29-18, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it's because I've made mistakes like that in the past. Like one time I was telling some people about how I got a better price on something, and used a turn of phrase that's more than a little anti-Semitic, totally forgetting that one of the people I was talking to was Jewish. Felt really shitty about it.
It isn't just "monkeying things up" but in the same statement, he also said that Gillum was "articulate" which is another dog whistle.

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
I'm sorry but "Jewing" someone down on a price, while unfortunate was still a fairly common term in the last 20 or so years. "Monkeying" something up I don't think I've ever heard uttered in my 43 years.
You may not have heard it, but it is still being used... and perhaps even more important, those who want to "Make America Great Again" hearken back to a time when "monkeying" WAS commonly used. THAT is who DeSantis was whistling to.

DeSantis isn't some innocent babe in the woods who accidentally stumbled across using two words that have racial connections... he's a die-heard Trumpist who had ad campaigns featuring reading Art of the Deal to his kids and play-building a wall.
Old 08-29-18, 05:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Only dweebs were in rock bands in the '90s.

All the cool kids were mimes!

I don't care who you are... That photo is nightmare fuel.
Old 08-29-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I don't care who you are... That photo is nightmare fuel.
Old 08-29-18, 06:55 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Holy shit. Cruz as Adam in mime is fucking scary.
Old 08-29-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well the mime getup proves that Cruz is the Zodiac killer
Old 08-29-18, 07:03 PM

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Ma.) said she is confident that Democrats would vote on a marijuana bill that would allow states to regulate marijuana without federal interference should they retake the Senate in November.

"I feel confident that if the Democrats recapture the Senate weíll get a vote on this, and the vote will carry," Warren said in an interview with Rolling Stone of the bipartisan bill, which Warren co-sponsored. "I think weíve got the votes for this."

Warren said she has been pushing Republicans to convince Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) to relax his hard-line stance against the federal ban on marijuana.

The bill she is touting, the Strengthening the Tenth Amendment Through Entrusting States (STATES) Act, has stalled in the House despite support from 10 senators from both parties and 28 members of the House.

"Weíve got plenty of colleagues on the Democratic side who will support this, and Donald Trump said it sounded like a good idea to him," Warren said. "Heís said it, I think, three different times now. So Iím pretty hopeful that if we could get a vote in Congress that we could actually get this passed."
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4...marijuana-bill

Fight the opioid crisis and less people in prison for smoking a plant.
Old 08-29-18, 07:03 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

I agree. Lock him up!
Old 08-29-18, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you already didn't think Ted Cruz was a big enough asshole, you just found out he's a mime.
Old 08-29-18, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Fight the opioid crisis and less people in prison for smoking a plant.
I think marijuana should be legal, but opium is a plant too, so that's not the best argument.
Old 08-29-18, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I think marijuana should be legal, but opium is a plant too, so that's not the best argument.

I had no idea that opium was a plant. Thanks!
Old 08-29-18, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 08-30-18, 12:39 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Opium is a plant but the opioid crisis is not coming from people smoking opium, so Iím not sure what point youíre trying to make.

And, FWIW, I think all drugs should be legalized and taxed and regulated, and we should offer free health clinics to help people overcome addiction should they become addicted.
Old 08-30-18, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Time to bring the crazy....

Congressman Opens New Campaign Headquarters, Tractor-Trailer Slamming Representative Parks Out Front

https://wnep.com/2018/08/28/congress...rks-out-front/

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FRIENDLY COMPETITION? <a href="https://twitter.com/RepCartwright?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@RepCartwright</a> is officially opening his campaign headquarters in Scranton tonight - meanwhile this truck, owned by businessman Bob Bolus, is parked right out front for the day. Nearby businesses are angry the trailer is taking up spaces for customers <a href="https://twitter.com/WNEP?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@WNEP</a> <a href="https://t.co/3kRIA1IfCN">pic.twitter.com/3kRIA1IfCN</a></p>&mdash; Carolyn Blackburne (@cblackburne) <a href="https://twitter.com/cblackburne/status/1034540959541940225?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 28, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 08-30-18, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

The bill she is touting, the Strengthening the Tenth Amendment Through Entrusting States (STATES) Act, has stalled in the House despite support from 10 senators from both parties and 28 members of the House.
at the name of the proposed act.

And it is example # gazillion of conservative/GOP hypocrisy when it comes to states rights.
Old 08-30-18, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
If you already didn't think Ted Cruz was a big enough asshole, you just found out he's a mime.
Thanks! I've been seeing that picture, and just knew there was a Ted Cruz sucks/mimes suck joke or comment to be made, just couldn't come up with a good one. That'll do unless an even better one comes along.
Old 08-30-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post

And, FWIW, I think all drugs should be legalized and taxed and regulated, and we should offer free health clinics to help people overcome addiction should they become addicted.
As a physician who thankfully doesn't have to prescribe opioids but has seen how enormous the crisis has become (for a legal and HIGHLY regulated medication), and as one who has seen first hand the devastating long-term effects of perinatal drug exposure on babies, I think that is a terrible, terrible idea.
Old 08-30-18, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's a terrible idea, not because of the concerns Decker has but for the fact that I don't think states would do well regulating it. Hell I still live in a state where I can't buy beer and vodka at the same location.
Old 08-30-18, 10:54 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
As a physician who thankfully doesn't have to prescribe opioids but has seen how enormous the crisis has become (for a legal and HIGHLY regulated medication), and as one who has seen first hand the devastating long-term effects of perinatal drug exposure on babies, I think that is a terrible, terrible idea.
Drugs are a part of life. We should do more to educate people about their effects, short term and long term, and offer help and support for those who use and canít get off them. What we shouldnít do is jail people for using them, or acquiring them, or selling them. That always disproportionately affects minorities. And you can say well letís just decriminalize all drugs, but thatís not a good solution either, because without regulation thereís nothing to stop someone from cutting their supply of decriminalized cocaine with bleach. And if itís decriminalized but we arenít making it actively legal, we all lose out on tax revenue that could benefit many different parts of our society. All that money would still get funneled into the black market.
Old 08-30-18, 10:55 AM

Count me in as being against legalizing ALL drugs, as there's some real dangerous ones out there, some that kill or at the very least addict the user from the very first time. Ever notice that anytime someone advocates legalizing all drugs, they go into a rant about how marijuana is so benign, alcohol is worse, etc? Good points, I even agree, but there are other drugs than marijuana.

And not to turn this into a marijuana legalization thread, but if it were up to me, I'd make a deal. Marijuana is legal for anyone, any reason, as long as you SHUT THE FUCK UP about it. To paraphrase a common vegetarian joke, how can you tell someone smokes pot? They'll fucking TELL YOU about it.
Old 08-30-18, 11:00 AM

And not to turn this into a marijuana legalization thread, but if it were up to me, I'd make a deal. Marijuana is legal for anyone, any reason, as long as you SHUT THE FUCK UP about it. To paraphrase a common vegetarian joke, how can you tell someone smokes pot? They'll fucking TELL YOU about it.
No kidding. The only more annoying group are VIM users.

That said, having spent a lot of time in Colorado I think legalization takes care of that on it's own. Because it's not as taboo, it's not as "cool" to brag about it.
Old 08-30-18, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good luck with that "civility"

Old 08-30-18, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To paraphrase a common vegetarian joke, how can you tell someone smokes pot? They'll fucking TELL YOU about it.
That is a stereotype....I smoke pot every morning when I wake up and every night before I go to sleep and I do not do that.
Old 08-30-18, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
Drugs are a part of life. We should do more to educate people about their effects, short term and long term, and offer help and support for those who use and canít get off them. What we shouldnít do is jail people for using them, or acquiring them, or selling them. That always disproportionately affects minorities.
You had me until you said we shouldn't jail people for selling illegal drugs. If they're illegal, then you should go to jail for selling them. I don't care if it disproportionately affect minorities - their communities are harmed by drug sales and use more than any other! People who sell drugs are criminals who prey on some of the weakest and most desperate in society. They should definitely go to jail.

But using or possessing them? Yeah, maybe a moderate fine (proportional to the person's income), but not jail time.

And you can say well letís just decriminalize all drugs, but thatís not a good solution either, because without regulation thereís nothing to stop someone from cutting their supply of decriminalized cocaine with bleach. And if itís decriminalized but we arenít making it actively legal, we all lose out on tax revenue that could benefit many different parts of our society. All that money would still get funneled into the black market.
I am in favor of legalizing marijuana nationally. I am in favor of regulating the industry and taxing it (but not so heavily that street level marijuana is significantly cheaper).

But cocaine? Meth? Or, especially, heroin? Hell no. Too many people end up dead from using that stuff.

Marijuana isn't even as bad as alcohol, so unless people are willing to give prohibition another try making marijuana illegal is hypocritical and stupid.
Old 08-30-18, 01:29 PM
Banned by request

Count me in as being against legalizing ALL drugs, as there's some real dangerous ones out there, some that kill or at the very least addict the user from the very first time. Ever notice that anytime someone advocates legalizing all drugs, they go into a rant about how marijuana is so benign, alcohol is worse, etc? Good points, I even agree, but there are other drugs than marijuana.

I was just talking about all drugs and didnít mention marijuana or talk about how alcohol is worse.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.