Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Old 08-24-18, 05:20 PM

Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
She came into the spotlight, almost a complete unknown, as THE REPUBLICAN VICE-PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE! Even you can appreciate needing a different level of scrutiny between somebody a heartbeat away from the Presidency and a potential freshman Congresswoman, right?
Set aside the fact that, even taking into account the Cortez's recent gaffes, she is still an intellectual giant when compared to Palin. Put up their academic accomplishments side by side and tell me who is more qualified.
Old 08-24-18, 06:28 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Old 08-27-18, 11:25 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Generally I don't respond to your posts, but this is too funny to pass up. It's a reasonable assumption that this information is being disseminated by pro-Trump organizers. You don't reveal where you first heard about it, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to guess the ultimate source.

So that means people who campaign on behalf of a president who tells 4-5 verifiable untruths every day are trying to whip up distrust for a Democrat who said a single falsehood.

I first heard about it when one of my unreliable sources posted the video of her saying it. The actual video is real.

This isn't a "single falsehood." I have posted plenty of others in this thread that were said by her her in this thread. And many of them suggest that she does not read the news on a regular basis. How else could someone think that the defense budget increased by $700 billion last year, when that amount was actually the total defense budget? How else could someone think there's no longer an upper middle class, when the upper middle class is actually bigger now than in recent years? How else could someone think that the unemployment rate takes into account people who have two jobs as opposed to one job? How else could someone think the U.S. population was more than 50% bigger than its actual size? All of these things are regularly reported in the news. So for her to not know them off the top of her head suggests that she does not read the news on a regular basis.

Last edited by grundle; 08-27-18 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-27-18, 11:34 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Great news! Last day to register to vote in Georgia is October 9th.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...ns-in-majority

My response to this is here: https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13392841-post1270.html
Old 08-27-18, 11:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

ACT I: The Obsession

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I first heard about it when one of my unreliable sources posted the video of her saying it. The actual video is real.

This isn't a "single falsehood." I have posted plenty of others in this thread that were said by her her in this thread. And many of them suggest that she does not read the news on a regular basis. How else could someone think that the defense budget increased by $700 billion last year, when that amount was actually the total defense budget? How else could someone think there's no longer an upper middle class, when the upper middle class is actually bigger now than in recent years? How else could someone think that the unemployment rate takes into account people who have two jobs as opposed to one job? How else could someone think the U.S. population was more than 50% bigger than its actual size? All of these things are regularly reported in the news. So for her to not know them off the top of her head suggests that she does not read the news on a regular basis.

ACT II: The call-back

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I voted for Gary Johnson.
ACT III: The calling out of dumb comments made by the above politician

*just a black screen with white text: FOOTAGE UNAVAILABLE*
Old 08-27-18, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
She came into the spotlight, almost a complete unknown, as THE REPUBLICAN VICE-PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE! Even you can appreciate needing a different level of scrutiny between somebody a heartbeat away from the Presidency and a potential freshman Congresswoman, right?
Also, McCain would've been 72 when he took office, the oldest president ever. It was a very real possibility that his VP would've taken over.
Old 08-27-18, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Too many undecided voters. What started off as a safe election, is slowly turning into a tossup.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">O’Rourke &amp; Cruz separated by ONE %pt in new Emerson College poll. <br><br>The poll looks messy under the hood, but Emerson has achieved relatively decent results in 2017/18 special elecs. What could be a red flag is that their undecided % is 4x as large as other pollsters'. Avg= Cruz+4 <a href="https://t.co/VKFwsN0Lnl">pic.twitter.com/VKFwsN0Lnl</a></p>&mdash; G. Elliott Morris����*♂️ (@gelliottmorris) <a href="https://twitter.com/gelliottmorris/status/1034081056461389824?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">August 27, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 08-27-18, 08:32 PM
Admin-Thanos

Not sure how a Republican could lose Texas. All of those undecided could easily break for Cruz.
Old 08-27-18, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

As much as I would love to see Cruz lose I just can't see it happening this time around.
Old 08-27-18, 08:50 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Not sure how a Republican could lose Texas. All of those undecided could easily break for Cruz.

If enough Democrats from other states keep moving to Texas, that could become a possibility.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...oving-to-texas

New Yorkers and Californians can't stop moving to Texas

Spoiler:

May 30, 2018

According to a new U.S. Census Bureau report, of the 15 fastest-growing cities larger than 50,000 people, seven are in Texas including the top three: Frisco, New Braunfels, and Pflugerville. Frisco’s growth rate was 8.2 percent, some 11 times faster than the national rate of 0.7 percent.

Of the cities with the greatest population gain from July 1, 2016 to July 1, 2017, San Antonio, Texas, took the prize, adding some 66 people every day. Texas had the most cities in the top 15 of this category as well with five making the list and three of the top five overall in addition to San Antonio: Dallas, Fort Worth, Frisco, and Austin.

San Antonio now has more than 1.5 million people and ranks as the nation’s seventh-largest city, just behind Philadelphia. Fort Worth, meanwhile, knocked Indianapolis, Ind., out of the top-15 with a population of 874,168. Houston is America’s fourth-largest city and is also the most diverse large city in the nation.

Population growth doesn’t happen in a vacuum. People move for many reasons, among them: work, opportunity, and affordable housing.

And the availability of jobs, a government attitude amenable to small business, and available housing doesn’t happen in a vacuum either. Politicians’ decisions can help or hurt these factors through tax rates, regulation, lawsuit climate, and land use restrictions.

Here it is instructive to note that the census reports that, from April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2017, Texas added the most housing units in the nation, 955,000, while California added 497,000; Florida, 452,000; North Carolina, 295,000; and New York, 219,000. Looking at this from a per capita standpoint makes the housing construction situation clear.

The share of housing units added as a proportion of the state’s 2010 population shows that Texas expanded its housing supply by 10.3 percent for every household during the period, more than double the rate of California (3.9 percent) or New York (3.0 percent). Given that new families are reluctant to form if they’re forced to live in their parent’s house due to lack of affordable homes, it’s easy to see why Texas dominates the list of fastest-growing cities.

Every year, Canada’s Fraser Institute ranks each state’s economic freedom based on the size of government spending, the tax burden, and labor market freedom. Fraser’s latest survey ranks Texas second in the U.S., behind New Hampshire and tied with Florida. Looking at the census bureau’s top 15 fastest-growing cities and comparing it to Fraser’s rankings shows that economic freedom has a large bearing on growth: freedom allows people to thrive.
Spoiler:

State Fraser
Freedom Rank

Top Cities
Texas
Florida
Tennessee
Arizona
Colorado
Idaho
Iowa
Oregon

Meanwhile, Fraser ranked New York last and California at second from the bottom for economic freedom.

The lack of economic freedom in California compared to Texas is likely why, according to census, from 2012 to 2016, a net of 521,052 Californians left the state. Texas was their most popular destination, with a net of 114,413 Californians moving 1,300 miles east to the Lone Star State.

In the five years through 2016, some 542,432 more Americans moved to Texas than moved out, supporting a growth rate double that of California’s since the 2010 census, 12.6 percent in Texas vs. 6.1 percent in California.

That California has the nation’s highest marginal income tax rate and ranks in the worst five for state and local tax burden while Texas has no income tax and ranks in the best five states for taxation means that Texas should continue to double California’s growth in the years to come.

When people vote with their feet, Texas wins.
Old 08-27-18, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
As much as I would love to see Cruz lose I just can't see it happening this time around.
Yep. No way Cruz loses.
Old 08-27-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beto has visited all 254 counties in TX. He is in a town hall several times a day in different towns. He is knocking on doors and interacting with everyone in the State. Cruz has not done this and sticks to a conservative schedule. If you want to see what Beto is doing, follow him on FB. He is making this highly competitive. I have yet to see a Vote 4 Cruz sign in San Antonio. Its all Beto around town.

Last edited by mapasu; 08-27-18 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-27-18, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Politics aside, unlike Cruz, Beto is likable and is about as far from being smarmy as Cruz is close to it.
Even if Beto loses, it'll be close - just the fact that Cruz has to sweat and that his seat in Texas isn't a sure thing, is kind of a big deal. Just for the fact that Cruz has to sweat.
Old 08-27-18, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Texas ranked 48th in voter turnout in the 2016 election. If -- and its a big if -- Beto can drive people to the polls, given Cruz's unpopularity and the unpopularity of Republicans in general, there is definitely room for him to win. It's a tough road, but not an impossible road.
Old 08-27-18, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Politics aside, unlike Cruz, Beto is likable and is about as far from being smarmy as Cruz is close to it.
Even if Beto loses, it'll be close - just the fact that Cruz has to sweat and that his seat in Texas isn't a sure thing, is kind of a big deal. Just for the fact that Cruz has to sweat.
Stop making me think about Ted Cruz sweating!
Old 08-28-18, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cruz win by a comfortable margin.

I have noticed that, in the last two election cycles, republicans (including trump) have seemed to perform better on election day than the polls would indicate.

I have to wonder if there isn't some kind of flaw in the system; either the formulas need to be reworked, people are lying to the pollsters, or the undecideds aren't as undecided as they appear or claim.

This is just me, but I hang up on any political call I get. I've gotten quite a few "political survey" calls, but I hang up on those because I have no idea who they're really from and I don't want to give out any personal information to people I don't know. Maybe people like me skew the results?

Guess we'll know in November when that blue wave comes or doesn't come...
Old 08-28-18, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Texas ranked 48th in voter turnout in the 2016 election. If -- and its a big if -- Beto can drive people to the polls, given Cruz's unpopularity and the unpopularity of Republicans in general, there is definitely room for him to win. It's a tough road, but not an impossible road.
Republicans might not be popular in a lot of states, but in a huge portion of the fly over south, Republican is the only party.

Oklahoma has suffered through 16 years of HORRIBLE! republican governors and yet they will elect another one in this November. Even though one of the states most beloved politicians, David Boren, was a Democrat the state has turned into a one party state and will not look at the candidate, just their party.
Old 08-28-18, 09:32 AM

Primaries today in Arizona, Florida, and Oklahoma! Be a voter!
Old 08-28-18, 11:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Give him hell, kids!

edit: looks like it's over, and they're leaving?

Old 08-28-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Voted this morning on the way to work.
Old 08-28-18, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Republicans/trump have only just scratched the surface in ways to cheat elections...

This needs to be investigated/reported more!

It might be investigated... if Democrats take back Congress.
For now, eh. Just another shitty republican thing to throw on the pile.
Old 08-28-18, 08:56 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I hope you're right. It would be amazing to see Cruz lose. I'm very pessimistic about Texas...as you know.
Old 08-28-18, 09:08 PM
Admin-Thanos

Andrew Gillum wins FL Dem Primary

I have to say I'm more than a little surprised by this one. Gillum was in 3rd or 4th place as of last week. I know Bernie Sanders came down to campaign for him last week, but Gwen Graham was up by between 7-12 points as of a week ago. She had better odds against DeSantis as well. Should be an interesting November in FL. DeSantis being a well published Trump lover and Gillum being black should bring the Republicans out in droves in Nov. Hopefully the energy is there for Gillum. He was the most liberal of the Dem candidates running this season.
Old 08-28-18, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's cool about Bernie Sanders.

If Ron DeSantis wins, I don't expect much to change. But if Rick Scott wins, that'd be a big loss for the Dems. I'm hopeful Gillum will help Nelson. Scott seems to have a stable lead in pools.
Old 08-28-18, 11:07 PM

So Floridians have a choice in the progressive Andrew Gillum who wants medicare for all and to legalize marijuana, or yet another Republican who wants to show how...Trump-like he is.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.