Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Old 08-21-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
That's not a very effective debate strategy.
As someone who lurks and reads but rarely posts your debate strategy has become very tiresome and I see why people post these things.

Post off the wall nonsense, then someone points out with easily verifiable information how the thing is clearly opposite of what you post, then you acknowledge that you were wrong. Just to go off and do it again on some other topic.

You should verify this BEFORE you post the nonsense so people don’t get tired of your debate strategy.

Because honestly you could make the most prolific point in the history of politics and at this point I would shrug it off as another I uneesearched piece of bs news.
Old 08-21-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's not a very effective debate strategy.
Neither is not reading the articles you post
Old 08-21-18, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a future constituent of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, I have mixed feelings about her, but I applaud her decision not to take up Ben Shapiro's $10G debate offer and her decision to bar the media from her town hall meeting. How is a candidate who's not yet in office who wants to meet her future constituents face-to-face under any obligation to invite the media? If I was in her shoes I wouldn't want them there either.
Old 08-22-18, 12:33 PM
Political Exile

As of July 1, 2017, the U.S. Census Bureau estimates the U.S. population to be 325,719,178.

However, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez thinks the U.S. has 500 million people.

She recently stated:

“200 million Americans make less than $20,000 a year. That’s 40% of this country.”

I certainly would not expect her or anyone else to know the exact number. If she or anyone else had said that the U.S. population was 325 million or 330 million, that would be perfectly reasonable.

But 500 million?

Skip to 4:45

Old 08-22-18, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, you've convinced me that you shouldn't vote for her.
Old 08-22-18, 12:47 PM
Admin-Thanos

Old 08-24-18, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You've probably seen the reports in the news lately about California Republican congressman Duncan Hunter who, along with his wife, is under indictment for misuse of campaign funds. They allegedly used the money for daily personal expenses, vacations, video games, etc. Hunter is a big Trump supporter and claims that is why prosecutors are going after him.

And apparently, he threw his wife under the bus on Fox News last night:

On Thursday evening, Fox News host Martha MacCallum asked Hunter, “Are you saying it’s more her fault than your fault?”

Hunter, a Republican from San Diego who served in the Marines, replied: “I’m saying when I went to Iraq in 2003, the first time, I gave her power of attorney and she handled my finances throughout my entire military career and that continued on when I got into Congress. Because I’m gone five days a week, I’m home for two.”

“And she was also the campaign manager,” he added. “Whatever she did, that will be looked at too, I’m sure. But I didn’t do it. I didn’t spend any money illegally. I did not use campaign money, especially for Wounded Warriors stuff, there’s no way.”
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b07295151179f2

Ouch.
Old 08-24-18, 10:29 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ Those people like to talk about personal responsibility, until it's theirs. Then for Hunter, it's the wife, for Manafort, it's Gates, and for Trump it's Cohen.
Old 08-24-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
^ Those people like to talk about personal responsibility, until it's theirs. Then for Hunter, it's the wife, for Manafort, it's Gates, and for Trump it's Cohen.
Duncan has been a supreme douchebag for years. This is icing on the cake.

I remember when classicman was lauding him when it came to chairing the House Armed Services committee.

He's been one of the most vocal critics of NFL players kneeling during the anthem - as disrespecting the troops.

Here are 3 of the many allegations, showing just how much he respects the troops:

- Margaret Hunter allegedly spent $200 on tennis shoes at Dick’s Sporting Goods, which she then claimed as being for an annual dove hunting event for wounded warriors.

- When Hunter told his wife he needed to “buy my Hawaii shorts,” but he was out of money, she allegedly told him to buy them from a golf pro shop so he could claim they were actually golf balls for wounded warriors.

- In an attempt to justify spending campaign funds on a family trip to Italy, Hunter asked a naval base there for a tour. When officials said they couldn’t do it then, Hunter said, “Tell the Navy to go f--- themselves.”
Old 08-24-18, 11:05 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post

Just like the political left was when Sarah Palin came into the spotlight.
Old 08-24-18, 11:09 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Cellar Door View Post
You've probably seen the reports in the news lately about California Republican congressman Duncan Hunter who, along with his wife, is under indictment for misuse of campaign funds. They allegedly used the money for daily personal expenses, vacations, video games, etc. Hunter is a big Trump supporter and claims that is why prosecutors are going after him.

And apparently, he threw his wife under the bus on Fox News last night:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b07295151179f2

Ouch.

That's not "misuse." It's embezzlement. I hope he/she/they get(s) prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I think it's hilarious that the Huffington Post is citing Fox News as its source.

If there are signatures on the financial transactions, then we can see if his wife really is the one who did those things. Of course, even if she did every single one of them, it was still him who gave her the power to do so, and allowed her to get away with it for all that time.
Old 08-24-18, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, 'cause Vice President of the United States is not a major position within the political spectrum.

That said, I do think attacks on Palin and her family, long after she became irrelevant, were a little over the top, and yes, obsessive. Damn that's a lot of commas for one sentence.
Old 08-24-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Vice Presidential candidate? The person's who's a heartbeat from the Presidency? That's the same as the winner of an election in New York? Really?
Old 08-24-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I remember when classicman was lauding him when it came to chairing the House Armed Services committee.
The Duncan Hunter who got indicted is the son of the Duncan Hunter who chaired House Armed Services. The senior Hunter left Congress prior to the 2008 election in order to run for President and the junior Hunter took over his seat.
Old 08-24-18, 12:13 PM
Admin-Thanos

Let me know when she’s tapped to be VP.
Old 08-24-18, 12:23 PM

I posted about this in the 2020 election thread, but the Republicans are masterful at ginning negativity about future opponents well in advance (we don't know if AOC has presidential ambitions but the GOP does not bother waiting to find out), and that it's not surprising that the last two Democratic presidents were politicians who mostly kept a low profile until announcing their candidacy. Look how many people said "I just don't trust her" (referring to Hillary Clinton) but couldn't go further into detail than that.
Old 08-24-18, 12:35 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Old 08-24-18, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As of July 1, 2017, the U.S. Census Bureau estimates the U.S. population to be 325,719,178.

She recently stated:

“200 million Americans make less than $20,000 a year. That’s 40% of this country.”

I certainly would not expect her or anyone else to know the exact number. If she or anyone else had said that the U.S. population was 325 million or 330 million, that would be perfectly reasonable.

But 500 million?
Generally I don't respond to your posts, but this is too funny to pass up. It's a reasonable assumption that this information is being disseminated by pro-Trump organizers. You don't reveal where you first heard about it, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to guess the ultimate source.

So that means people who campaign on behalf of a president who tells 4-5 verifiable untruths every day are trying to whip up distrust for a Democrat who said a single falsehood.
Old 08-24-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The Duncan Hunter who got indicted is the son of the Duncan Hunter who chaired House Armed Services. The senior Hunter left Congress prior to the 2008 election in order to run for President and the junior Hunter took over his seat.
Gotcha. Then a chip off the old block when it comes to douchebaggery.
Old 08-24-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Gotcha. Then a chip off the old block when it comes to douchebaggery.
Stories I've heard, he's much worse; more douchie, and far more entitled than his dad ever was.
Old 08-24-18, 01:49 PM

Great news! Last day to register to vote in Georgia is October 9th.

A local elections board in rural Georgia has voted down a plan to close seven polling locations after public criticism that shuttering voting centers would disproportionately impact black voters.

The Randolph County Board of Elections voted Friday to keep all nine polling locations open on Election Day.

Critics of the plan said it was meant to hinder turnout in a county where almost 60 percent of the residents are African-American. Randolph County gave Hillary Clinton 55 percent of the vote in 2016, one of just 10 counties — all majority-black — in southeast Georgia that voted for the Democrat over President Trump.

The proposal to consolidate precincts was floated by Mike Malone, a local political consultant who had donated to Republican gubernatorial candidate Brian Kemp’s (R) campaign earlier this year. The county had hired Malone to consult on local elections management, though it fired him earlier this week.

In a statement released after the vote, the Board of Elections said public criticism had spurred them to reverse the plan. The 2-0 vote to scrap it and keep all nine voting sites open took less than a minute on Friday morning.

“In the United States, the right to vote is sacred,” the board said in a statement. “The interest and concern shown has been overwhelming, and it is an encouraging reminder that protecting the right to vote remains a fundamental American principle.”
http://thehill.com/homenews/state-wa...ns-in-majority
Old 08-24-18, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She recently stated:

But 500 million?

Skip to 4:45

And the U.S. has 57 states, so the fuck what? This kind of nitpicky bullshit doesn't concern me.

She tried to claim that unemployment is low because people have two jobs a while back, too. Obviously numbers aren't her strongest suit.

We get some not-the-sharpest candidates up for office. There's the internet-is-a-series-of-pipes dude and the guy that thinks islands can tip over with too much weight on it.

Hell Trump said his tax plan needs to gestate like a Turkey in the oven the other day.

I consider those idiots way worse than someone that doesn't get numbers that well.

Thankfully no one on the Democratic side is trying to put her up for VP or whatever.
Old 08-24-18, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

She came into the spotlight, almost a complete unknown, as THE REPUBLICAN VICE-PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE! Even you can appreciate needing a different level of scrutiny between somebody a heartbeat away from the Presidency and a potential freshman Congresswoman, right?
Old 08-24-18, 04:50 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
She came into the spotlight, almost a complete unknown, as THE REPUBLICAN VICE-PRESIDENTIAL NOMINEE! Even you can appreciate needing a different level of scrutiny between somebody a heartbeat away from the Presidency and a potential freshman Congresswoman, right?
No. No, he can't.
Old 08-24-18, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Hunter situation just amazes me.

How the hell do you overdraw your checking account 1,100 times? They racked up almost 38k in overdraft fees. That is just throwing money away.

They also managed to rack up 27k in finance charges on their credit cards.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.