Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Old 07-19-18, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez recently said the reason the unemployment rate was so low was "because everyone has two jobs."

She's wrong on two counts.

First of all, when the government determines the unemployment rate, it does so by asking people if they are unemployed, ready to work, and looking for work. A person is either employed or unemployed. There is no category for someone who has two jobs as opposed to someone who has one job.
This is not how that works. Unemployment determination is not a questionnaire by the government, the census,which is a questionnaire by the government takes an extremely long time to accomplish, it is based on unemployment benefits paid to individuals.
Old 07-19-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: All House Republicans (232) vote NO and block gov’t funding used to defend our elections from foreign attacks, like <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RussianHacking?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#RussianHacking</a>. All Dems (182) vote Yes. <a href="https://t.co/irkihYOqIR">https://t.co/irkihYOqIR</a> <a href="https://t.co/PSpiF8bJ73">pic.twitter.com/PSpiF8bJ73</a></p>&mdash; 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝙱𝚊𝚡𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙱𝚎𝚊𝚗 (@TheBaxterBean) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheBaxterBean/status/1019986680793698312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 19, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 07-19-18, 08:33 PM
Admin-Thanos

Republicans know we are being attacked, yet they want to do nothing to protect from it. Because the foreign attackers want the Republicans to win. If you are that cynical of a party, you must be stopped. Maybe we need some foreign observers to monitor our elections.
Old 07-20-18, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm re-registering in New York soon. I've been an independent my entire life, but I'm registering as a Democrat. There's no world in which I vote for another Republican ever again.
Old 07-20-18, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls View Post
I'm re-registering in New York soon. I've been an independent my entire life, but I'm registering as a Democrat. There's no world in which I vote for another Republican ever again.
Unfortunately I'm sure the Russians and Chinese are anticipating this mass sentiment.

The next time this happens, the next time people in positions of power are compromised, it likely won't be Republicans because they aren't likely to be in power again for a long, long time.

That's why there needs to be extreme punishments rendered in this.

If the only downside to a treasonous gamble is that you live out your days in protected custody at some Fed pen, and that you keep the spoils of your treachery in the form of lingering policy and appointments, then the upsides to criminal enterprise in government far outweigh the penalties.
Old 07-20-18, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cusm View Post
Unemployment determination is not a questionnaire by the government, the census,which is a questionnaire by the government takes an extremely long time to accomplish, it is based on unemployment benefits paid to individuals.

Old 07-20-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Unfortunately I'm sure the Russians and Chinese are anticipating this mass sentiment.

The next time this happens, the next time people in positions of power are compromised, it likely won't be Republicans because they aren't likely to be in power again for a long, long time.

That's why there needs to be extreme punishments rendered in this.

If the only downside to a treasonous gamble is that you live out your days in protected custody at some Fed pen, and that you keep the spoils of your treachery in the form of lingering policy and appointments, then the upsides to criminal enterprise in government far outweigh the penalties.
How do we know the Russians won't just hack all of our elections and keep Republicans in power for a long, long time?
Old 07-20-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls View Post
I switched from independent to Democrat to try and vote for Bernie in the Primaries here. I intended on switching back, but after 18 months of this shit, I don't see myself voting Rep. ever again. Up until now I probably sit at around a 60/40, D/R voting history.
Old 07-20-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
How do we know the Russians won't just hack all of our elections and keep Republicans in power for a long, long time?
Or, more simply, that Republicans will turn out and vote to keep these people in power because they like the direction the country is going?
Old 07-20-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
You're in the Deep South?

Forget what I said. No matter what comes out, they'll be voting Republican there till the next ice age.

Or at least until whites are a distinct minority.

They don't need to actually hack voting systems there. Social media psyops , to gin up their natural inclinations, work just fine.
Old 07-20-18, 12:54 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
I switched from independent to Democrat to try and vote for Bernie in the Primaries here. I intended on switching back, but after 18 months of this shit, I don't see myself voting Rep. ever again. Up until now I probably sit at around a 60/40, D/R voting history.
Same here, except I probably had a 75/25 D/R voting history. No Republican will get my vote from now on (absent a dramatic, earth-shifting change in the party which likely won't happen).
Old 07-20-18, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're in the Deep South?

Forget what I said. No matter what comes out, they'll be voting Republican there till the next ice age.

Or at least until whites are a distinct minority.

They don't need to actually hack voting systems there. Social media psyops , to gin up their natural inclinations, work just fine.
Oh, trust me. I know. I was just thinking of the country in general. Especially since the possible hacking in this last election on where it counted to affect the electoral college.
Old 07-20-18, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There will be Democrats- or at the very least Democrat operatives- caught up and exposed in all this too, I'm sure.

It's just the overwhelming percentage of traitors will be Republicans.

As is to be expected...if you've been watching their schtick for the last twenty five years.
Old 07-20-18, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There will be Democrats- or at the very least Democrat operatives- caught up and exposed in all this too, I'm sure.

It's just the overwhelming percentage of traitors will be Republicans.

As is to be expected...if you've been watching their schtick for the last twenty five years.
Spoiler:
Old 07-20-18, 02:14 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Cusm View Post
This is not how that works. Unemployment determination is not a questionnaire by the government, the census,which is a questionnaire by the government takes an extremely long time to accomplish, it is based on unemployment benefits paid to individuals.
OK. Thank you for correcting me.
Old 07-20-18, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Citation needed.
I can help with that!

Old 07-20-18, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Some of them may even have names that rhyme with Shmad Shmevine!
Old 07-20-18, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shmad is already figuring into the Manafort trial. That won't be the last we hear about him.

I'm thinking of someone else too who was occasionally prominent in the 2016 election (if you were a news junkie), but I'm gonna keep it to myself for a while. Haven't heard anything about them (yet). It's more of a gut feeling based on what they did during and after the election.
Old 07-24-18, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Republicans sure are intimidated by this woman

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rep DeSantis, it seems you‘re confused as to “whatever I am.”<br><br>I am a Puerto Rican woman. It‘s strange you don’t know what that is, given that ~75,000 Puerto Ricans have relocated to Florida in the 10 mos since María.<br><br>But I’m sure these new FL voters appreciate your comments! <a href="https://t.co/xJlroSe5Hs">https://t.co/xJlroSe5Hs</a></p>&mdash; Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Ocasio2018) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1021483285317386240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 23, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 07-24-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=p1_Yz5BDyiA

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rep DeSantis, it seems you‘re confused as to “whatever I am.”<br><br>I am a Puerto Rican woman. It‘s strange you don’t know what that is, given that ~75,000 Puerto Ricans have relocated to Florida in the 10 mos since María.<br><br>But I’m sure these new FL voters appreciate your comments! <a href="https://t.co/xJlroSe5Hs">https://t.co/xJlroSe5Hs</a></p>&mdash; Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (@Ocasio2018) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ocasio2018/status/1021483285317386240?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 23, 2018</a></blockquote>
Class acts, all around
Old 07-24-18, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

More like secretly cheering her on.
Old 07-25-18, 06:42 PM
Political Exile

I don't know if her statement is accurate or not.

But I think it's interesting that she refers to tax cuts as a "cost."

I view tax cuts as a "savings."

I guess it depends on if you're looking at it from the point of view of the government, or the point of view of the taxpayers.

And although her statement is not an explicit endorsement of student debt forgiveness, I don't think it's irrational to interpret it as being such an endorsement.

I think paying back one's debt is a sign of having moral character. If one becomes disabled, or has sky high medical bills, or has their house destroyed in a natural disaster, OK, then I can see why it might be OK to forgive student debt. But to just forgive all student debt is completely unfair to the people who did pay off their student debt.

In other statements, she has said that she wants free college for everyone. This misses the point that the huge number of students who are already calling for debt forgiveness suggests that there are too many people attending college, not too few. We don't need even more people with worthless college degrees. Instead, we need more people learning how to be truck drivers, electricians, carpenters, plumbers, welders, and other things that are actually useful in the real world.
Old 07-25-18, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you learn to be any of those things?
Old 07-25-18, 06:46 PM
Political Exile

No.

This video, as well as this comment from it, are a more accurate reflection of how they see her. And I agree with them.

From the video's comment section: she seemed like that kid who asks for all the toys they want at the store and when mom and dad say "We don't have that much money" the child says "You don't need money, just write a check".

Last edited by grundle; 07-25-18 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-25-18, 06:47 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Did you learn to be any of those things?

No.

But I didn't ask for any debt forgiveness either.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.