Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Old 01-11-19, 01:02 PM
  #2926  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 38,283
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

The thirst is real! They truly are obsessed with her...



And for the record, I'm not so much fascinated by AOC as I am by the Right's obsession with her. It's the kind of psychological stuff I enjoy getting into the weeds of.
slop101 is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 01:14 PM
  #2927  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 29,581
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by coli View Post
She did get an interview on 60 Minutes last week. Name me the last incoming Freshman Congressman/women who was interviewed in their first week by one of the influential TV shows in the past 50 years. Usually, 60 Minutes gets the first interview with incoming Speakers of the House like Boehner, Pelosi, Paul Ryan, or the first Presidential Interview with Obama or Trump, but a Freshman Congresswoman? Yes, the right is obsessed with her, but so is the left media.
The initial stories about AOC were for her historic and unexpected win. Conservative media spun her up into so much more. What I mostly see on non-conservative sites about her is basically stories about how the right is responding to her.
Draven is online now  
Old 01-11-19, 01:15 PM
  #2928  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,628
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

I lean pretty damn left, and don't read a lot of right-leaning news sources like Fox, or the Daily whatever it is. I'm far more inclined to read a full article on Huffpost.

That all said, I've only seen a handful of articles on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez; The famous dance video from her Terrier days, her follow-up on it, and a couple of the bits from the recent 60 Minutes interview. In other words, you won't find anything really deep into her campaign unless you were actively seeking it out.
Paff is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 01:21 PM
  #2929  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Posts: 16,453
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

If anyone in government was going to quote Rorschach, I assumed they would have the last name “Paul.”
majorjoe23 is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 01:45 PM
  #2930  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,912
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
The initial stories about AOC were for her historic and unexpected win. Conservative media spun her up into so much more. What I mostly see on non-conservative sites about her is basically stories about how the right is responding to her.
You didn't answer my question, why is she getting an interview on 60 Minutes? Name me one Freshman Congressman/Senator who ever got interviewed on their first week in office? The only politicians who seem to get that 60 Minutes Interviews are Presidents, Speaker of the House, Senate Majority Leader, and Presidential Candidates. I'm not arguing the right isn't obsessed with her, I'm just saying that 60 Minutes (which isn't run by Conservatives) has been a top rated show for the past 50 years, so that is a big deal).

Last edited by coli; 01-11-19 at 02:00 PM.
coli is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 02:03 PM
  #2931  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,912
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
I lean pretty damn left, and don't read a lot of right-leaning news sources like Fox, or the Daily whatever it is. I'm far more inclined to read a full article on Huffpost.

That all said, I've only seen a handful of articles on Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez; The famous dance video from her Terrier days, her follow-up on it, and a couple of the bits from the recent 60 Minutes interview. In other words, you won't find anything really deep into her campaign unless you were actively seeking it out.
I just clicked on to Huffington Post and she is the #2 News Story (on the right side), and there is another story about her that is trending #1 (also on the right side under the news stories).
coli is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 02:03 PM
  #2932  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 29,581
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by coli View Post
You didn't answer my question, why is she getting an interview on 60 Minutes? Name me one Freshman Congressman/Senator who ever got interviewed on their first week in office? The only politicians who seem to get that 60 Minutes Interviews are Presidents, Speaker of the House, Senate Majority Leader, and Presidential Candidates. I'm not arguing the right isn't obsessed with her, I'm just saying that 60 Minutes (which isn't run by Conservatives) has been a top rated show for the past 50 years, so that is a big deal).
Because basically the Republicans made "fetch" happen. If they had ignored her after her win (like they've ignored pretty much every other freshman rep), she wouldn't have gotten that 60 Minutes interview.

If her only narrative was that she won, that's old news at this point. No way she would get that interview. But Fox News is putting her picture at the top of their homepage several times a week and conservatives on Twitter and social media are talking about her constantly. That's why she's getting an interview on 60 Minutes.

Last edited by Draven; 01-11-19 at 02:09 PM.
Draven is online now  
Old 01-11-19, 02:12 PM
  #2933  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,628
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Eh, I don't know about that. I think the youngest woman congressperson in history, one with fairly radical (hell, her word) ideas is worth a 60 Minutes interview. Rashida Tlaib is worthy of an interview as well, being the first Muslim woman elected to Congress.
Paff is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 02:13 PM
  #2934  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,912
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Because basically the Republicans made "fetch" happen. If they had ignored her after her win (like they've ignored pretty much every other freshman rep), she wouldn't have gotten that 60 Minutes interview.

If her only narrative was that she won, that's old news at this point. No way she would get that interview. But Fox News is putting her picture at the top of their homepage several times and week and conservatives on Twitter and social media are talking about her constantly. That's why she's getting an interview on 60 Minutes.
So FoxNews is the reason that 60 Minutes interviewed AOC? So Stephen Colbert having her on his late night show in June was because of FoxNews hyping her up? Or Chris Cuomo having her on his show in August was because of FoxNews hyping her up? Or MSNBC/CNN having her on multiple times during the past few months was because of FoxNews hyping her up?
coli is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 02:13 PM
  #2935  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,197
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Because basically the Republicans made "fetch" happen.
They made her the new boogeyperson to scare their base.

She should go up to Mike Pence and shake his hand to see if he turns into Norman Bates.
inri222 is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 02:47 PM
  #2936  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 37,433
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by coli View Post
So FoxNews is the reason that 60 Minutes interviewed AOC? So Stephen Colbert having her on his late night show in June was because of FoxNews hyping her up? Or Chris Cuomo having her on his show in August was because of FoxNews hyping her up? Or MSNBC/CNN having her on multiple times during the past few months was because of FoxNews hyping her up?
Or maybe, just maybe (hear me out here), Fox News has been hyping her up because she was on Colbert, Cuomo, MSNBC and later 60 Minutes. I think some people do indeed have their chronology mixed up here. She has been a big story on the left since she took out Joe Crowley in the primary (and effectively won her seat in Congress) back in June. A young, minority woman (the youngest woman ever) who also happens to be outspoken and idealistic and a prior history as a community organizer (shades of Obama, anyone?). She is indeed a Fox News boogeyman, but they didn't just pluck her out of obscurity or anything.
jfoobar is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 02:49 PM
  #2937  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 37,433
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
They made her the new boogeyperson to scare their base.

She should go up to Mike Pence and shake his hand to see if he turns into Norman Bates.
Seeing how well he handled chit-chat with the bi-sexual Senator with the scandalously exposed shoulders, I think Pence would find a way to tough through it.
jfoobar is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 02:51 PM
  #2938  
DVD Talk Legend
 
grundle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 15,742
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
And now the guy who can't make up his mind about his political afiiliation has something to say.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Faces Off With Joe Lieberman
“I certainly hope she’s not the future” of the Democratic party, the former senator from Connecticut said.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b045f6768a97e4

Just a reminder:


https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...e-of-our-party

DNC chair: Ocasio-Cortez represents the 'future of our party'



July 3, 2018

Democratic National Committee (DNC) Chairman Tom Perez said Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez represents the “future of our party” on Tuesday.


"I have three kids. Two of them are daughters — one just graduated college, one who is in college. And they were both texting me about their excitement over Alexandria because she really — she represents the future of our party," Perez said on "The Bill Press Show."

Skip to 0:54


grundle is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 03:35 PM
  #2939  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Norm de Plume's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,372
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Perez is right, and fusty Lieberman should just lower his head back into the dustbin of history.
Norm de Plume is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 04:01 PM
  #2940  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,197
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

The obssession continues.

The Latest Smear Against Ocasio-Cortez: A Fake Nude Photo

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/10/n...JCYvx91YThX8zo
inri222 is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 04:16 PM
  #2941  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 29,581
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by coli View Post
So FoxNews is the reason that 60 Minutes interviewed AOC? So Stephen Colbert having her on his late night show in June was because of FoxNews hyping her up? Or Chris Cuomo having her on his show in August was because of FoxNews hyping her up? Or MSNBC/CNN having her on multiple times during the past few months was because of FoxNews hyping her up?
It's a self-fullfilling prophecy. She's notable because of her age and her win. Fox and conservative voices have turned her into a household name. Everyone else is just getting on board.

And hey, in my opinion, if you scare conservatives THIS MUCH, you must be doing something right
Draven is online now  
Old 01-11-19, 04:52 PM
  #2942  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 3,099
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

As side note she is the youngest person ever elected to Congress so that in and of itself makes her more news worthy then the run of the mill Freshman House member.
WCChiCubsFan is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 06:54 PM
  #2943  
DVD Talk Hero
 
jfoobar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 37,433
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by WCChiCubsFan View Post
As side note she is the youngest person ever elected to Congress so that in and of itself makes her more news worthy then the run of the mill Freshman House member.
Youngest woman ever elected and the youngest person in the current Congress. In terms of youngest ever, she's actually pretty far down the list although most younger than her were not from this century or last.
jfoobar is offline  
Old 01-11-19, 09:39 PM
  #2944  
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Psi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,704
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
And hey, in my opinion, if you scare conservatives THIS MUCH, you must be doing something right
Immigrants scare a lot of them too. What are they doing right?
Psi is offline  
Old 01-13-19, 10:25 PM
  #2945  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 29,753
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Originally posted June 27, 2018:

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Woman. Latina. "Democratic socialist."

She's going to be a bigger lightning rod than Pelosi.
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Look... I live in a red state, and the very idea of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is going to drive these people crazy.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 01-13-19, 11:02 PM
  #2946  
DVD Talk Hero
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,197
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

inri222 is offline  
Old 01-13-19, 11:06 PM
  #2947  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 28,503
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

Why So Blu? is online now  
Old 01-14-19, 12:09 AM
  #2948  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 29,581
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

For a party that continually rails against getting called racist Republican representatives sure have problems with racists in the party.
Draven is online now  
Old 01-14-19, 01:08 AM
  #2949  
DVD Talk Hero
 
davidh777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Home of 2013 NFL champion Seahawks
Posts: 40,513
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

I popped into the thread to see if there was a reaction to Steve King, and of course it was buried by reaction to AOC.
davidh777 is offline  
Old 01-14-19, 07:32 AM
  #2950  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Spiderbite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 13,086
Re: 2018 Congressional, Governor, etc election thread

I think the media (and the GOP & Dems) are fascinated with AOC because she actually answered yes or no questions (and because she is sexy woman...don't balk...it is true).

Most of the time I have seen her interviews (I admit I haven't seen them all so there could be some showing I am wrong), if she is asked a question, she says yes or no and then backs it with exactly why she says yes or no whether it is considered "the right thing to say" by her party or anyone else. I watched CNN a bunch yesterday morning and every current holding office politician they asked a question of couldn't or wouldn't do that. At times, Jake Tapper would even say...this is a yes or no question...and then they wouldn't answer the question. They would just go off on some long tangent not related to the question or answer in some long tangent somewhere in the middle without ever actually answering yes or no.

She doesn't know how the game is played yet in Washington and it is driving them all nuts.
Spiderbite is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.