Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 07-12-17, 08:19 PM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

2018 Congressional election thread

Elections are 16 months away, so it's time to kick off a new thread with Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid Rock!

Quote:
Kid Rock tweets tease US Senate run in Michigan

Washington (CNN)Musician Kid Rock on Wednesday has become the latest "Rock" celebrity to express interest in jumping into politics.

"I have had a ton of emails and texts asking me if this website is real... http://kidrockforsenate.com The answer is an absolute YES," he tweeted Wednesday afternoon.

In a follow-up tweet, the 46-year-old Michigan native added: "I will have a major announcement in the near future."

As of Wednesday afternoon, there appears to be no Federal Election Committee records filed under "Kid Rock" or his legal name Robert James Ritchie or Robert Ritchie.

Judith Ingram, a spokeswoman for the FEC, confirmed to CNN that the FEC has not seen a filing under Kid Rock yet, but suggested checking back Thursday morning. She also said a filing like this "would first go to the Secretary of the Senate, which is the entry point for Senate filings." A call to the Secretary of Senate's office was not immediately returned.

The website Kid Rock referred to in his tweet features a photo of the musician -- sporting a hat, aviator sunglasses and a leather jacket -- next to a stuffed moose, sitting on a blue chair (decorated with stars). The website logo reads "Kid Rock '18 For US Senate." Page visitors can also purchase swag, including stickers, shirts, lawn signs and caps that read "Kid Rock for US Senate." The link to purchase apparel redirects visitors to the musician's Warner Bros.

When asked for further details by CNN, a publicist for Kid Rock said in an email: "As of right now, please refer to https://www.facebook.com/kidrock/. More soon!"

The artist has previously been floated as a potential opponent to Michigan Sen. Debbie Stabenow who's up for re-election next year.

Wes Nakagiri, a Michigan Tea Party activist, told the Detroit Free Press that the Trump candidacy could be "a template" for a Kid Rock candidacy.
"I'll bet you he would generate as much excitement as Trump did," he told the paper in February.

Sarah Anderson, deputy chief of staff for the Michigan Republican Party, told CNN in an email: "We have not had any conversations with Kid Rock so I cannot speak to the validity of this."

Kid Rock, a supporter of President Donald Trump, performed at the 2016 Republican National Convention in Cleveland. He visited the White House with Sarah Palin and Ted Nugent in April.

Kid Rock's social media announcement come one day after a West Virginia resident created a campaign committee called "Run The Rock 2020" to draft actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson as a presidential candidate in 2020.
Speculation around the Rock as a presidential nominee ticked up in May, when GQ published an article with the headline "Dwayne Johnson for President!"

"I think it's a real possibility," Johnson told the publication when asked if he would ever run for president of the United States.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/12/politi...ter/index.html

He can probably build a winning coalition if he gets the support of the midnight glancers, the topless dancers, the can of freaks, cars packed with speakers, the G's with the forty's and the chicks with beepers.

I suppose this is either a case of "in America, anyone can run for office" or a case of "well, we had a good run."
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 07-12-17, 08:27 PM   #2
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: 2018 Congressional election thread

Well the Michigan voters clearly thought Trump was qualified ... I don't see why they wouldn't vote in Kid Rock too.
Old 07-12-17, 08:56 PM   #3
Admin-Self Banned

Unless the Dems get some serious ground game going, they are going to be very disappointed in 11/18. Sure Trump is like a lead weight on the Republican Party, but they have gamed the system so badly, they could easily keep both chambers of Congress.
Old 07-12-17, 10:35 PM   #4
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While I dread Trump and the R's running the government I kinda wanna see them keep both for the entire presidency and then not get shit done for the entire 8 years of Trump-A-Mania
Old 07-12-17, 10:38 PM   #5
DVD Talk Legend

RE: Kid Rock:

Old 07-12-17, 10:58 PM   #6
DVD Talk Reviewer

He'll totally be disqualified because of the "tryin' different things, smokin' funny things" clause.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1156 days 10 hours 35 minutes
Old 07-12-17, 11:38 PM   #7
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJE-187 View Post
While I dread Trump and the R's running the government I kinda wanna see them keep both for the entire presidency and then not get shit done for the entire 8 years of Trump-A-Mania
Yeah but they'll just blame Hillary.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 07-13-17, 10:01 AM   #8
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah I don't see any reason Kid Rock couldn't sneak into congress

Old 07-13-17, 10:19 AM   #9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee View Post
He'll totally be disqualified because of the "tryin' different things, smokin' funny things" clause.
Not to mention the whole thing about not worryin' bout tomorrow.
Old 07-13-17, 10:23 AM   #10
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJE-187 View Post
Among my Republican friends (including myself), if they don't get shit done in the first 2 years they will probably lose the Congress in 2018. I believe they will have a low voter turnout from their base if we are still sitting here next summer and there is no tax reform, repeal and replace, etc. Since they took over the House in 2010 and the Senate in 2014, all I have heard from the leadership is get us a Republican President and we will pass all of these bills we promised to be signed. Trump will sign pretty much anything they send up, but they can't seem to get their shit straight on anything right now, and that is why they could lose the congress at the Midterms.
Old 07-13-17, 10:43 AM   #11
DVD Talk Legend

At this point I would vote for a cadaver and the cyst on a hillbilly's left buttcheek. They can't be any worse.
Old 07-16-17, 10:25 PM   #12
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Unless the Dems get some serious ground game going, they are going to be very disappointed in 11/18. Sure Trump is like a lead weight on the Republican Party, but they have gamed the system so badly, they could easily keep both chambers of Congress.

Last edited by mspmms; 07-16-17 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-16-17, 10:31 PM   #13
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMoney View Post
Not to mention the whole thing about not worryin' bout tomorrow.
Or not stopping thinkin' about tomorrow 'cause it'll soon be here.
Old 07-16-17, 10:42 PM   #14
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Or not stopping thinkin' about tomorrow 'cause it'll soon be here.
Right now I know a lot of Democratic voters are saying:

"Been down one time
Been down two times
I'm never going back again
You don't know what it means to win"
Old 07-16-17, 11:30 PM   #15
DVD Talk Legend

Well, you have to cut them some slack.

After all, last November they were seeing their reflections on snow-covered hills 'till a landslide brought them down.

Older Dems might be thinking:

Can't help about the shape I"m in
I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin.
But don't ask me what I think of you
I might not give the answer that you want me to.

Last edited by creekdipper; 07-16-17 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-17-17, 09:06 AM   #16
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Many are thinking in 2018:

Oh, I've been down
I've been used
Now I know, I know, I know
That I just can't lose

I guess we will see.
Old 07-17-17, 09:30 AM   #17
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Probably. I for one have completely given up. Any country that elected Trump is beyond hope. I am demoralized and disappointed by my fellow Americans. When America and especially young America says "well Trump and the Republicans are for the working man, what have the Democrats ever done for the average American?" by heart breaks.

If its not love then its the bomb that will bring us together.
Old 07-17-17, 09:35 AM   #18
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Among my Republican friends (including myself), if they don't get shit done in the first 2 years they will probably lose the Congress in 2018. I believe they will have a low voter turnout from their base if we are still sitting here next summer and there is no tax reform, repeal and replace, etc. Since they took over the House in 2010 and the Senate in 2014, all I have heard from the leadership is get us a Republican President and we will pass all of these bills we promised to be signed. Trump will sign pretty much anything they send up, but they can't seem to get their shit straight on anything right now, and that is why they could lose the congress at the Midterms.
I really don't know what the problem is. The Repubs never seem to lack in the ruthlessness department. Why they didn't have drafts of these things ready to go is beyond me. Healthcare is the biggest one. Why do they suddenly give any fucks about people on Obamacare? It was all about getting rid of horrible Obamacare and going back to what it was before hand. Why is this such an issue now? Repubs finally developed a conscience on this?

Old 07-17-17, 09:43 AM   #19
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I for one have completely given up. Any country that elected Trump is beyond hope. I am demoralized and disappointed by my fellow Americans.
Old 07-17-17, 09:44 AM   #20
DVD Talk Hero

I'm too old to leave now. But I will take the tax cuts and bunker down. I would not be opposed to living in Europe though. It would have nothing to do with Trump.

The protests are pointless, we saw the biggest protests in generations in 2003 and we still invaded and occupied Iraq. Hipster beards are pointless too.

Old 07-17-17, 09:52 AM   #21
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

New Zealand is the place to go to.
Old 07-17-17, 09:59 AM   #22
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of #libexit and the funny picture. IT's sad on Twitter to see Repubs and the Trumpians further this notion that academia is corrupt and experts are untrustworthy. If they stay in power, we will be an even stupider nation in the future with millions of "Google researchers" with no real knowledge of anything.

Old 07-17-17, 12:01 PM   #23
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
To go.

New Zealanders are stricter on proper usage than Yanks, so be prepared for the immigration test beforehand.

#MAGA

Make America Grammatical Again

Old 07-17-17, 04:30 PM   #24
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I really don't know what the problem is. The Repubs never seem to lack in the ruthlessness department. Why they didn't have drafts of these things ready to go is beyond me. Healthcare is the biggest one. Why do they suddenly give any fucks about people on Obamacare? It was all about getting rid of horrible Obamacare and going back to what it was before hand. Why is this such an issue now? Repubs finally developed a conscience on this?
No, they did not develop a conscience. But when people have something and you take it away, they get mad. If they never had it, they don't get mad when you don't give it to them.

As for not having drafts, it's because ObamaCare was really RomneyCare, the individual mandate is a republican idea. They didn't make ObamaCare the signature issue because it was so so so terrible, they made it the signature issue because it was his signature issue and easily the biggest piece of legislation passed in years. So they had to demonize him, and it, and made that their centerpiece. But they never really had an idea of what to replace a republican health care proposal with...

"we get paid for butt time" - mosquitobite

"It felt much more comfortable when I was trying them on. No sharp edge poking my skin." - Buford T. Pusser
Old 07-21-17, 07:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Such a shame for me that my GF is a citizen...

"You concentrate on the sad wanna be hooliganism and let us worry about the actual soccer." - rocketsauce (final score: Columbus 2-Chicago 1)