Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

London vehicle hits pedestrians, police say “number of casualties”

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-18-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A vehicle hit pedestrians in London and there are "a number of casualties being worked on at the scene," according to authorities.

Reports out that bystanders confronted the terrorist and held him down until police came.

Last edited by mspmms; 06-18-17 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-18-17, 07:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Re: London vehicle hits pedestrians, police say “number of casualties”

This is fucking ridiculous.
Old 06-18-17, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So this is life now?
Old 06-18-17, 08:05 PM
Admin-Thanos

Yeah our hotel in Paddington was evacuated at 2am one night. When the firemen and police showed up. I made sure to walk with my wife to the edge of the crowds with 4 different directions to escape. It sucks that we have to live our lives this way now, but you need to be situationally aware at all times.
Old 06-18-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
This is fucking ridiculous.
It is.
Old 06-18-17, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is everything that happens now an international incident?
Old 06-18-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you still have faith in humanity, I encourage you not to read the Breitbart comments section about this attack.

Hopefully those posters are being added to a watch list as we speak.
Old 06-18-17, 08:57 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Attack was on a mosque. Driver drove into the crowd. So sad.
Old 06-18-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dino88 View Post
If you still have faith in humanity, I encourage you not to read the Breitbart comments section about this attack.

Hopefully those posters are being added to a watch list as we speak.
Won't disagree, but we have so much hate from both sides, I think we're witnessing the slow, but eventual decline of Western Civilization.
Old 06-18-17, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
You bring up a good point, which I think, spreads the fear, panic, hate, and whatever else, in seconds worldwide. While it is news, I have to wonder if the only reason our world was left intact for so long...was because we didn't know what was happening a few hundred miles away from us, and we lived within our own limits, and actually paid more attention to our own insignificant lives and those we cared about around us.

Just like Fox News had a field day (sorry for the pun) with the GOP Congressman who was gunned down by a Lefty, we will now have CNN, MSNBC, and whoever else on that side...taking nice jabs back at Conservatives and of course, the evil "Muslim Ban".

Can't wait for Van Jones or somebody with a little wit, to crank up the hate climate by asking why don't we ban white males from travel--if in fact the person is a white male.

It would be rather honorable if one side would take it down a notch or several dozen...but that's too much to ask from our exploitive media, and I'm sure some politicians in the US won't hesitate to use it as well.
Old 06-19-17, 05:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Won't disagree, but we have so much hate from both sides, I think we're witnessing the slow, but eventual decline of Western Civilization.
Bah.

It's just evolution.

We're not getting older, we're getting better.
Old 06-19-17, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like it could be a white far-right extremist. Nothing to see here.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-descr...082008470.html
Old 06-19-17, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Looks like it could be a white far-right extremist. Nothing to see here.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-descr...082008470.html
Oh, well, that's different. If it turns out that he is white, that's an automatic three strikes against him.

Serious question...where in the link does it identify the guy as white? I may have missed it, but the only reference I saw to "white" was the color of the van. Unless we're starting to profile and stereotype vehicles now, that doesn't count...I think.

Odds are that the guy is white given London's population, but will it make a difference if he turns out to be of African, Asian, Hispanic, or other descent? Will it make his actions any better or any worse?

Old 06-19-17, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Serious question...where in the link does it identify the guy as white? I may have missed it, but the only reference I saw to "white" was the color of the van. Unless we're starting to profile and stereotype vehicles now, that doesn't count...I think.
Other articles are more explicit.
The van driver - described by witnesses as a large white man - was detained by members of the public after the incident in Finsbury Park early on Monday that police are treating as a terror attack.
CNN:
A 48-year-old white man was wrestled to the ground by members of the public and then arrested at the scene on suspicion of attempted murder, authorities said.
ABC:
A 48-year-old white man has been arrested and charged with attempted murder and police say they're investigating it as a terror attack.
CBS:
The driver, identified by May only as a 48-year-old white male, tried to run away but was held by onlookers until officers arrived.
He does appear to be white, if this still is correctly attributed:

Old 06-19-17, 08:27 AM
Banned

Thanks. I was just going by the link cited.

The question still remains as to relevance, though. When someone is searching for a suspect still at large, race is important to identify the person.

In this case, what does it matter? Again, would it make any difference if he were some other race?

Just saying that when other violent crimes are committed and reported and the race of the alleged perpetrators are reported, there often is a protest that the fact isn't relevant unless explicitly connected to the crime (as when certain races are targeted by others due to race).

In this case, the guy had an anti-Muslim bias. That could be an attack upon the religion, a stereotyping of Muslims as terrorists, etc. The guy didn't say, "I hate all brown people." He was out to kill Muslims of any race.

Speculating that he is a "far-right extremist," while still in the realm of speculation, is more relevant than his race.
Old 06-19-17, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

While I don't completely disagree (and that could very well be why his race wasn't mentioned in Blu's link), it's no more or less relevant than any other information offered. Does it matter that he's 48? Does it matter that he's male? Given that he was in a van, does it matter that he's large?
Old 06-19-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It creates less of a panic situation when the majority race of a location commits the crime, unless it's just 100% random. Just sort of the way it goes.
Old 06-19-17, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope we dont see a rise in right wing extremismaphobia.
Old 06-19-17, 09:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
While I don't completely disagree (and that could very well be why his race wasn't mentioned in Blu's link), it's no more or less relevant than any other information offered. Does it matter that he's 48? Does it matter that he's male? Given that he was in a van, does it matter that he's large?
I don't disagree with your sentiments, either, and had already considered which details were relevant. Having a journalism minor and having taught classes in it, I know that initial press releases often include general descriptions, especially when other identifying facts such as the suspect(s)' name(s) aren't known. That's done for a variety of reasons.

My question wasn't about the coverage as much as Blu's comments which weren't supported by the link he provided and appeared to be based upon mere speculation (he does get points for not automatically ascribing a particular religion to the suspect as others might be wont to do).

Some of the details tie into the story; the fact that he is a large male helps explain why witnesses who held him down had a hard time subduing him. But the rest is just part of the 5 W's of journalism.

Again, the problem I had was with Blu's comments, not the press coverage.

Even with the "far right extremist" comment, it's just as likely that the guy is a recently-released mental patient with a past history of violence. Early speculation without any supporting evidence isn't useful. All we know from witnesses is that he declared that he wanted to "kill all Muslims."

If someone suggested that perhaps he was a Zionist extremist upset over Palestinian terrorism, I believe people would ask for some evidence and maybe a little restraint and patience until investigations are done.

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
It creates less of a panic situation when the majority race of a location commits the crime, unless it's just 100% random. Just sort of the way it goes.
That's an excellent point. While the argument could be made that identifying race can further inflame the public (as in the case when a white officer shoots an unarmed black person), when the perpetrator is of a majority race, it may help tamp down bias against minorities that could lead to attacks. That probably wouldn't have been the case here, but it's still a logical reason.

As with the response to Adam above, there shouldn't be any further need to include race or other factors once the suspect has been identified by name.
Old 06-19-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Only if it's in North America or Europe.
Old 06-19-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Only if it's in North America or Europe.
seriously... this shit happens all the time in the middle east... no one gives out hashtags for them
Old 06-19-17, 10:03 AM
Admin-Thanos

Has anyone heard whether it was more than one person who died (and I think that guy was in cardiac arrest before the van came plowing people down)? If so, kudos to terrorists getting worse at their job. Still sucks to think you need to be on guard for intentionally swerving vans when simply walking down the street these days.
Old 06-19-17, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Thanks. I was just going by the link cited.

The question still remains as to relevance, though. When someone is searching for a suspect still at large, race is important to identify the person.

In this case, what does it matter? Again, would it make any difference if he were some other race?
Don't pull this disingenuous Socratic bullshit. You know as well as everyone here that when a Muslim from North Africa or the Middle East does something like this, his ethnicity and religion are central subjects of discussion for days on end. When it's a white guy, you don't get to argue, "Well how is that relevant?"

His whiteness is relevant, as is the religion of his victims, the current political situation in Britain, and the fact that Donald Trump, in keeping with a long-standing pattern of ignoring violence against Muslims, hasn't made any fear-mongering tweets yet,
Old 06-19-17, 10:33 AM
Banned by request

The AP headline on this was "Van strikes pedestrians", no mention of the driver. The Daily Mail in the U.K. used the phrase "Clean-shaven white man" to describe the terrorist.
Old 06-19-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Maybe we should have dedicated terrorism threads, 'European' and 'Other' ...

Paris, Car, Rammin', Killin'

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.