Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

CNN: London police report 'incident' on London Bridge

Old 06-03-17, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

CNN: London police report 'incident' on London Bridge

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/03/europe...ent/index.html
Old 06-03-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: CNN: London police report 'incident' on London Bridge

It was a terrorist attack.
Old 06-03-17, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This has been reported for years. It's falling down, falling down.
Old 06-03-17, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like there was several incidents in and around London.
Old 06-03-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

More than London Bridge and Borough Market?

1. Guy ran down pedestrians.

2. 3x guys with knives attacked people at Borough Market.

Any more?
Old 06-03-17, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
More than London Bridge and Borough Market?

1. Guy ran down pedestrians.

2. 3x guys with knives attacked people at Borough Market.

Any more?
The Metropolitan Police have said officers are responding to a new incident in the Vauxhall area.

It comes less than an hour after incidents at London Bridge and Borough Market on Saturday night.

The force wrote on Twitter: "Officers are now responding to an incident in the Vauxhall area."

Tweets by the force appeared to suggest that the event could be linked to the incidents in central London.
Old 06-03-17, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

God, how awful.
Old 06-03-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From CNN:

London's Metropolitan Police said a separate incident in the Vauxhall area of London was not connected to the events on the bridge and at the market.
So we have the van running down 20+ pedestrians on London Bridge and a stabbing incident in a restaurant nearby, possibly done by one of the individuals who fled from the van.
Old 06-03-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now they are saying the third incident is not related.

Trump took the opportunity to bring up his travel ban.

Old 06-03-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

If the same type of attacks happen in London and in other countries...over here in the US on a more frequent basis, I foresee Judges who are against travel bans...getting personal protection for themselves.
Old 06-03-17, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We don't yet know who perpetrated the London attack, but the Manchester suicide bombing was committed by someone born and raised in Manchester. Explain to me how a travel ban would have helped?
Old 06-03-17, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think you're really looking for an answer and I'm not really looking to give you one. We both have our own opinions of the matter.
Old 06-03-17, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I don't think you're really looking for an answer and I'm not really looking to give you one. We both have our own opinions of the matter.
Facts are not matters of opinion. If there's a reason the attacks today (or the ones in Manchester) serve as support for banning people from certain Muslim countries, I'd love to hear it. Otherwise, you're spouting bullshit (or, more accurately, echoing the President's bullshit).
Old 06-03-17, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, when you talk of bullshit, if you agree with it...then it's fact. If you don't agree with it, then it's opinion...or in my case...bullshit.

I'm pretty sure we have enough posts of everyone here to make that case.

And haven't we discussed the travel ban before. You can read my posts I made then. I haven't changed mind.
Old 06-03-17, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My callous viewpoint is that the USA has 15k homicides per year. 35k people die in car accidents. It's heartbreaking to see this happen. But it's hard to escalate violence and invade sovereign nations, knowing it's only going to radicalize more and cause more of these incidents. No Draconian laws can keep us safe from these incidents.
Old 06-03-17, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't necessarily disagree entirely with that statement, but do you think travel restrictions are Draconian? I'd be more inclined to think this (using another word other than Draconian) if all Muslim countries were restricted. If Trump said all Muslims would be refused...I'd agree that it would be extreme.

Draconian means small offenses receiving extreme punishments, however. Like a hand being chopped off for stealing an apple.

So, it's really not Draconian. Because terrorism is not a small offense. If we had Islamic Terrorists running around egging people...then yes, banning all Muslims from entering the US would be Draconian.

On a side note, don't you think that terrorism has a much more broader effect on a society than just a typical murder? Like economic impacts, etc.
Old 06-03-17, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Quickly looked up the #1 cause of death in the U.S. in 2001; it was heart disease.

What has a better chance of killing Trump: his own heart, or a terrorist attack?
Old 06-03-17, 11:05 PM
Admin-Thanos

I was just in this area last week. Crazy.
Old 06-03-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
My callous viewpoint is that the USA has 15k homicides per year. 35k people die in car accidents. It's heartbreaking to see this happen. But it's hard to escalate violence and invade sovereign nations, knowing it's only going to radicalize more and cause more of these incidents. No Draconian laws can keep us safe from these incidents.
Nothing callous at all. My father, a Muslim no less -- booga booga -- died in a car "accident" (caused by a drunk Catholic).

I'm much more afraid of some idiot killing me in a car than I am about some random terrorist. And I was in DC in 2001 and during the Malvo/Muhammed shooting spree.
Old 06-03-17, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by EinCB View Post
Quickly looked up the #1 cause of death in the U.S. in 2001; it was heart disease.

What has a better chance of killing Trump: his own heart, or a terrorist attack?
I use the Heart Disease info myself for anti-gun owners who think we need to ban guns because guns kill so many people in the US. Well, as you found out in a round about way, gun deaths don't stack up at all to being a priority when it comes to heart disease.

However. We need restrictions on guns. That's common sense...right?

Same situation here. When terrorist attacks happen, travel restrictions. And they are temporary I might add. Not permanent. All it means is there are certain countries who are restricted from traveling to the US.

Much like an assault weapon is restricted in use due to being potentially more lethal than a typical weapon.

So, it does seem the hypocrisy is showing its head again. While the same group that calls Trump an ant-Muslim Evil Nazi for implementing a travel restriction for a temporary period of time (Trump isn't going to be Prez that long), the same group is A-ok with having as much legislation and restrictions as possible for weapons.
Old 06-03-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Nothing callous at all. My father, a Muslim no less -- booga booga -- died in a car "accident" (caused by a drunk Catholic).

I'm much more afraid of some idiot killing me in a car than I am about some random terrorist. And I was in DC in 2001 and during the Malvo/Muhammed shooting spree.
Statistics are great until you're one of the statistics. Then we go into what could have been done, etc. The blame game.

Why don't Democrats grow a brain for once. Let Trump do his "Travel Ban" and then sit back and wait until a terrorist attack happens in the US and then slam him for it, which would do much more political damage than doing what they are now...which is going after the dog's tail, and waiting for the dog to bite.

Just sit back and let the dog bite it's own tail...
Old 06-04-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Same situation here. When terrorist attacks happen, travel restrictions. And they are temporary I might add. Not permanent. All it means is there are certain countries who are restricted from traveling to the US.
Is your position that Trump's travel ban that is not a ban except he just called it a ban AGAIN would prevent terroist attacks? Why does it not include countries where actual terrorists are from?

And since it doesn't include those countries, why are you convinced it's such a good idea? Because Trump said so?

Also, guns are designed to kill people. Trump isn't banning countries where terrorists who have actually attacked us are from. Not sure why that's a comparison.
Old 06-04-17, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While this is tragic, there are militant groups in third world countries committing atrocities on a daily basis in Asia, Africa and South America and no one gives a fuck.
Old 06-04-17, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Statistics are great until you're one of the statistics. Then we go into what could have been done, etc. The blame game.

Why don't Democrats grow a brain for once. Let Trump do his "Travel Ban" and then sit back and wait until a terrorist attack happens in the US and then slam him for it, which would do much more political damage than doing what they are now...which is going after the dog's tail, and waiting for the dog to bite.

Just sit back and let the dog bite it's own tail...
Old 06-04-17, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't we just give them a Pepsi?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.