Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The American Taliban...(TM)

Old 05-29-17, 07:46 AM
Banned

The American Taliban...(TM)

Lots of people casually flinging around this term (usually without adding the trademark, which is an oversight considering that those most likely to use the term rarely offer any original thoughts). Regardless, their reliance upon this curious term just begs for examination.

Since it's used in a general pejorative sense and not to designate a homegrown branch of the actual organization, let's look at what the term might mean, how it is applied, and for whom it fits. Let's use DVDTalk as a starting point before branching out into the larger society.

The main identifying trait of the Taliban is to force their views upon others without allowing for any dissent. Democracy represents the greatest threat to their existence, which is why they rely upon violence and intimidation to impose their will. There is no room for discussion in the Taliban...it's either "our way" or a rusty blade drawn across the throat.

Now, which "side" of the political spectrum at DVDTalk exemplifies that attitude...less the rusty blade, although the lack of legal permission to exercise that seems to disappoint a few here?

Every time the term is brought up, I think of the irony considering who is using it. Normally, at the same time it's referenced, the user is demonstrating a Taliban-like closed-mind attitude that will brook no dissent. Indeed, it goes farther than that. There isn't even any discussion allowed at all if those folks would get their way.

Some interesting common parallel proclivities of this mindset:

1. The frequent tendency to address the poster, not the post. Exactly antithetical to the long-standing motto of the website.

2. The tendency to "speak for" the opponent by creating positions (and even quotations) not held by or said by the opponent. And then to attack the position as though it were real.

3. The tendency to automatically assume attitudes and stances of opponents and substituting presumption for inquiry. It makes it easy to create a target, but it renders the actual opponent unnecessary.

4. The tendency to rely upon circling the wagons and "helping each other out" when fellow Talbaners get put on the spot and boxed into a corner of their own making. A two-way "conversation" quickly becomes a six-on-one match between competing ideas.

5. The tendency to drag in unrelated topics in an attempt to deflect from the topic at hand. Effective tactic, especially when coupled with the ganging-up approach.

6. The tendency to equate holding to convictions with a "refusal to listen to reason." This demand only applies to opponents.

7. And...when all else fails...return to Step One and begin again.

I see those tendencies being demonstrated most often by those who lean politically (and otherwise) to the left. The farther to the left, the more likely that the above tactics will be used.

Oddly, enough, these folks also tend to be the ones professing the most hatred for President Trump...odd because the tactics they use are strikingly similar to that of the same person they revile. If the positions were redacted but the tactics left, an objective observer would likely conclude that the poster is a Trump supporter. Ironic, is it not?

I was reminded of this while listening to C-Span's call-in segment this mornng and hearing a gentleman longing for more civility in public discourse and the ability to listen to each other.

We could replace the "Taliban" pejorative with "American Brown Shirts" (or Red Shirts or Bolsheviks or Gestapo or any number of historical allusions), and the basic elements would be the same.
Old 05-29-17, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The American Taliban...(TM)

3. The tendency to automatically assume attitudes and stances of opponents and substituting presumption for inquiry.
Fucking priceless, coming from you.
Old 05-29-17, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the point of this thread? Why do you post here if it's such an obviously miserable experience for you?
Old 05-29-17, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whaaat View Post
Fucking priceless, coming from you.
Thanks for sharing.

Examples would be more enlightening, but thanks for demonstrating American Taliban (TM) tactic #1 brilliantly!
Old 05-29-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm sure you'd take them to heart just as much as when I provided an example of you being a condescending jerk. No thanks, I'm good.
Old 05-29-17, 09:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What's the point of this thread? Why do you post here if it's such an obviously miserable experience for you?
Miserable?

Witnessing the American Taliban (TM) in action can be depressing at times, but discussing their hypocrisy isn't miserable at all. Just the opposite.

It's providing a public service. You never know, it might even provoke a little thought about the subject from those who keep labeling people.

The tactics were already used a few minutes ago in a concurrent thread by one person who frequently uses the American Taliban label toward others.

Besides, someone has to be the voice of reason among the Trump rally.
Old 05-29-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What's the point of this thread?
Product of meltdown.
Old 05-29-17, 09:56 AM
Banned

I'm sure you'd take them to heart just as much as when I provided an example of you being a condescending jerk. No thanks, I'm good.
And...American Taliban (TM) Tactic #1 being repeated. Two for two!

Making charges you can't support? Perfect.

You, sir, are a gift to this thread.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-29-17, 09:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
Product of meltdown.
Keep those examples coming.

Along the way, just to entertain us, tell us why you stated that the Confederate battle flag isn't about racism and the Civil War wasn't about slavery.

I know that would be off-topic for this thread, but nobody pays any attention to that anyway. At least it's not a half-page discussion about the size of testicles.
Old 05-29-17, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-29-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post

This in an American Taliban (TM) thread, not a Evangelical Neo-Nazi (TM) thread. There is a subtle difference.
Old 05-29-17, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hdnmickey View Post
This in an American Taliban (TM) thread, not a Evangelical Neo-Nazi (TM) thread. There is a subtle difference.
And...we have an example of American Taliban (TM) tactic #5.

No discussion needed with so many helping to illustrate the OP's points.
Old 05-29-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
And...American Taliban (TM) Tactic #1 being repeated. Two for two!

Making charges you can't support? Perfect.
Which charge? That you dismissed my attempts to show you how others view your posting style with: "that's as mild as it gets!" and "what about what a jerk this other guy is!" (paraphrasing)

I watched you tie yourself in knots in the "Pride Shirts" thread, talking out of both sides of your mouth (government should step in to fill the service gaps caused by allowing people to discriminate! gays shouldn't be a protected class and the free market will solve everything!) in order to justify why Christians shouldn't have to treat gays equally.

All under the guise that you and your ilk alone "love" gays enough to restrict their rights to protect them from making sinful choices.

That combined with your "thought experiments" comparing forcing a black or Jewish baker to work a KKK rally to a Christian baker being "forced" to provide a cake for a gay wedding, and it's abundantly what kind of "love" you demonstrate.

Have a nice life.
Old 05-29-17, 10:18 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
Thanks for demonstrating this point with your post!

Excellent!

It seems that you prefer "American Gestapo" to Taliban, though. Might want to trademark that.
Old 05-29-17, 10:22 AM
Banned

Which charge? That you dismissed my attempts to show you how others view your posting style with: "that's as mild as it gets!" and "what about what a jerk this other guy is!" (paraphrasing)

I watched you tie yourself in knots in the "Pride Shirts" thread, talking out of both sides of your mouth (government should step in to fill the service gaps caused by allowing people to discriminate! gays shouldn't be a protected class and the free market will solve everything!) in order to justify why Christians shouldn't have to treat gays equally.

All under the guise that you and your ilk alone "love" gays enough to restrict their rights to protect them from making sinful choices.

That combined with your "thought experiments" comparing forcing a black or Jewish baker to work a KKK rally to a Christian baker being "forced" to provide a cake for a gay wedding, and it's abundantly what kind of "love" you demonstrate.

Have a nice life.
And...an entire post containing a whole host of examples of Tactic #2.

Note the "paraphrasing." Perfect!!!

At this rate, we'll have all of the points demonstrated within the hour.

(Keep in mind that there are others such as the one demonstrated by inri, but that one was too obvious to mention).

"Ilk." Another one too common to include but always welcome to add to the list for Talibaners.
Old 05-29-17, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

What the hell is this thread?

I've never heard the left refered to as American Taliban before. And what's with the trademark shit?
Old 05-29-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Note the "paraphrasing." Perfect!!!
...you criticize my question yet say nothing about a person who has made repeated attacks upon Christianity.

I've been called all sorts of names here and expect that nothing will change... The example you posted is about as mild as it can be.
Yes, clearly I've distorted your beautiful prose.
Old 05-29-17, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"Ilk." Another one too common to include but always welcome to add to the list for Talibaners.
Fine. People like you, who not only want the freedom to discriminate against protected classes, but want the government to do the same. Real people are really being hurt by people like you. But you could give a shit as you annihilate every straw man in sight.
Banned

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
What the hell is this thread?

I've never heard the left refered to as American Taliban before. And what's with the trademark shit?
Of course you haven't. It's people here who are ostensibly on the left (but who employ Trump-like tactics) who have repeatedly mentioned it.

The (TM) is a popular addition in other contexts...added by the same posters when discussing other ideologies.

Figured it must be some legal thing to them.
DVD Talk Legend

Gee, which side hates homosexuals, wants to keep women as second class citizens, and demands their religion be given special treatment?

It's a poser.
Old 05-29-17, 10:38 AM
Banned

Fine. People like you, who not only want the freedom to discriminate against protected classes, but want the government to do the same. Real people are really being hurt by people like you. But you could give a shit as you annihilate every straw man in sight.
It might save time to just merge this post with your previous one since they illustrate the same tactic.

Well, actually they both incorporate Tactics #1 & #2, so you've outdone yourself.

If you actually wanted to have a discussion, I could show you what how offering two simultaneous options to appease two sides is called a "compromise" and not a contradiction. That's called a "win-win." It actually takes things a step further than the lesbian columnist who just proposed abandoning all protected class status and never offered a government option.

But that would be discussing the point, which is apparently not in vogue these days.

I'm just grateful that nothing you have said above could be construed in any way as condescending.

Thanks for the contributions.
Old 05-29-17, 10:39 AM
Banned

Yes, clearly I've distorted your beautiful prose.
I think there may be a tutorial if you're not sure how to use the "quote" function.

If not, I'll be glad to help.
Old 05-29-17, 10:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Gee, which side hates homosexuals, wants to keep women as second class citizens, and demands their religion be given special treatment?

It's a poser.
Points Two and Three!

Outstanding!
Old 05-29-17, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not bad Creek, 3 examples, some multiple times of the American Taliban (TM) in action. All in less than 2 hours on a Holiday!.

Can we make suggestions for other examples to add to your Original American Taliban (TM) 8?
Old 05-29-17, 10:42 AM

I don't see the point in a thread where the only point is to call out other forum members.