Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Christian store owner wins court case in "Pride shirts" case

Old 05-20-17, 04:13 AM
Political Exile

Christian store owner wins court case in "Pride shirts" case

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/vi...h-to-make-lgbt

Religious freedom is under attack, but this is a victory on that battle. Hopefully it won't be appealed to a higher court.

With a company name like Hands On Originals Christian Outfitters you can't help but wonder if it was deliberately targeted.

Good court decision here to recognize this man's constitutional rights. No one should have the "right" to force someone else to use their artistic talents for something that goes against their personal or religious beliefs.

Adamson had turned down other requests before, not just homosexual related material, in the past, yet not one else brought up "discrimination" against him. This is not discrimination against homosexuals as persons, rather the act of homosexuality and not wanting to promote it.

And the homosexual couple that owns another printing company made excellent points. No one would expect homosexuals to print designs they would feel as negative towards homosexuals. No one would expect a Jew to bake a cake with a swastika, or a Muslim to print a shirt with anti-Islam language, etc. It's only the Christians that are targeted and bullied into violating their principles. Another article even stated Adamson was ordered by the Lexington Human Rights Commission to take "diversity" classes, no doubt in an attempt to shame, indoctrinate and convert his beliefs. But he stood by his faith. Hopefully other cases, such as the Christian florist, will have a similar end.

Last edited by Space Ape Mafia; 05-20-17 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Christian store owner wins court case in "Pride shirts" case

I'm a Christian and I disagree with everything you said.

I can't imagine going through life oozing so much hatred. Sad really.
Old 05-20-17, 05:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sweet, I can't wait to open a "Whites only" bakery to profess my Christian faith...
Old 05-20-17, 05:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post

High fuckin' five!!!
Old 05-20-17, 05:52 AM
Political Exile

Do you think Christians should promote homosexuality? Do you think they should be forced and bullied by threat of punishment and losing their business if they fail to comply with something that goes against their faith?

Where's the oozing hatred?

Last edited by Space Ape Mafia; 05-20-17 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 06:01 AM
Banned

How long before we get to giggle at the bigots hope in the first post?
Old 05-20-17, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How is doing your job 'promoting' homosexuality? If I buy a tee shirt from this guy am I 'promoting' Christianity just because he's Christian?
Old 05-20-17, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why would a Pride festival go to a print shop that advertises itself as making "high quality, customized Christian apparel"? I wouldn't go to a Christian bookstore and order 50 Shades of Gray, and then sue them for not ordering it for me. It sounds to me that the Pride festival was going out of its way to hurt the company.

I've said it before -- if there are lots of secular print shops in Lexington who are willing to serve the Pride organization, I don't have a problem with the Christian shops who decline. It's the difference between the kind of pervasive discrimination that was seen in the Jim Crow South and Space Ape's example of a single Jewish bakery who refuses to make swastika cakes.
Old 05-20-17, 06:38 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
How is doing your job 'promoting' homosexuality? If I buy a tee shirt from this guy am I 'promoting' Christianity just because he's Christian?
It's not just because he's a Christian or just because they are gay. It's because it's designing and creating a product specifically for an event that promotes homosexuality.
Old 05-20-17, 06:40 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Why would a Pride festival go to a print shop that advertises itself as making "high quality, customized Christian apparel"? I wouldn't go to a Christian bookstore and order 50 Shades of Gray, and then sue them for not ordering it for me. It sounds to me that the Pride festival was going out of its way to hurt the company.

I've said it before -- if there are lots of secular print shops in Lexington who are willing to serve the Pride organization, I don't have a problem with the Christian shops who decline.
Exactly. I would never expect a gay baker to bake a cake that would have Bible verses declaring homosexuality as a sin, for example. And I would oppose any punishment that the gay baker might face.
Old 05-20-17, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sure you would.
Old 05-20-17, 06:46 AM
Banned

It is a control thing. Human nature. Some ideals are based on "icky poo", others are based on "fuck you".
Old 05-20-17, 06:52 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Sure you would.

Do you think a gay baker should be forced to bake a cake with anti-gay imagery? And if not he gets punished?
Old 05-20-17, 07:00 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Do you think a white supremacist baker should be forced to serve a black person?

It always seems that you want homosexuals and transgender people to go back into their closets but they aren't going to. Best learn to treat them like human beings instead of the deviants you think they are.
Define "serve". You left that very broad and open-ended.

Serve a black person a birthday cake. Yes.

Serve a black person a cake that says "White people are the devil." No.

We have clients that I know are gay and if we refused to serve them that would be wrong, because the industry I am in does not promote a behavior or an event of any kind.

Homosexuality is a deviant act as defined by my Biblical beliefs. But so is drunkeness for example. Not approving or wanting to promote certain behaviors is not treating people "unhuman like". I would not promote someone going out and getting drunk. Does that mean I'm not treating those who do as "unhuman like"?

Last edited by Space Ape Mafia; 05-20-17 at 07:07 AM.
Old 05-20-17, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I went ahead and deleted my response. Not even worth hashing through all this again.

The one thing I will say is that the equivalent example isn't "white people are the devil" but your fictional baker refusing to make a cake saying "black people are beautiful".
Old 05-20-17, 07:12 AM
Political Exile

Good response
Old 05-20-17, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

I'd like to find a less obviously biased source for this story, but on the surface of this I agree. If they refuse to sell a shirt to a gay person that they would sell to anyone else, they should get in trouble. That's the problem with refusing to sell wedding cakes to gay people. It's the same cake whether it's for a gay couple or a straight couple. Wedding cakes don't normally have writing on them or frosting paintings of the bride & groom or bride and bride.

But given the OP's posting history, I'll assume there's a lot more to the this story.
Old 05-20-17, 08:10 AM
Political Exile

If you can find more to the story, please do.
Old 05-20-17, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More info here with the actual reasoning from the court. Not as clear-cut as the OP would like you to think.

In his dissent, Judge Jeff Taylor was having none of it. HOO’s conduct “clearly violates” the nondiscrimination ordinance, he wrote, “in that HOO’s conduct was discriminatory against GLSO and its members based upon sexual orientation or gender identity.” The linguistic gymnastics are not necessary because Adamson made clear he refused the order as soon as he learned the festival advocated LGBTQ pride.

And Taylor didn’t hesitate to ridicule Kramer’s reasoning. “One member of the majority upholds circumventing the public accommodation issue by holding that GLSO as an entity, has no sexual orientation and thus is not protected by the ordinance,” he wrote. “This argument fails on its face.”

If the majority is right, he concluded, “that would mean that the ordinance protects gays or lesbians only to the extent they do not publicly display their same-gender sexual orientation,” a result that “would be totally contrary to legislative intent.”
If only those gay people would go back into some kind of closet where they belong.
Old 05-20-17, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
Religious freedom is under attack
Old 05-20-17, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Same here.

All this talk of "religious persecution" in our country diminishes actual persecution elsewhere.
Unless you're under threat of jail, torture or execution for your religion, you are NOT under persecution. Try going to North Korea and setting up a public Bible study and then you'll see what true religious persecution really is.
Old 05-20-17, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More SAM fucking nonsense. This isn't a religious freedom case. It's a freedom of speech/equal protection case.

This guy is the biggest troll since Shrek.
Old 05-20-17, 10:11 AM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Shrek was an ogre. Would you make Shrek wear a troll shirt? I bet you would you fucking racist.
Old 05-20-17, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
No one would expect homosexuals to print designs they would feel as negative towards homosexuals. No one would expect a Jew to bake a cake with a swastika, or a Muslim to print a shirt with anti-Islam language, etc.
You don't see the difference between a LGBT pride shirt and these other examples?

A LGBT pride shirt doesn't promote hate, your other examples do.
Old 05-20-17, 10:19 AM
Suspended

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

[QUOTE=Coral

A LGBT pride shirt doesn't promote hate[/QUOTE]

It does when you hate faqs.

And that's all there is to it. Stop arguing with these idiots. They believe that wedding cakes and T shirts are battlegrounds that must be firmly held. It's idiotic.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.