Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-06-17, 01:10 AM   #1
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Does Trump have palilalia? Does Trump have palilalia?

I'm sure everyone has noticed Donald Trump often repeats words, phrases and sentences. Everyone occasionally does that for emphasis but Trump does it constantly.

I paid virtually no attention to Trump until he became a viable candidate for president. I never read any of his books. I never watched his TV show. But when the media started covering his every word and the debates got going it was impossible not to notice.

My wife and I had been familiar with echolalia, the repetition of the words of another person. I had a customer at my store who did this all the time. She would repeat the last few words that anyone spoke to her. I commented to my wife that Trump seems to have what I independently decided to call auto-echolalia, repeating one's own words.

It turns out that that term was actually coined in 1899 to describe this. But that was not the term that stuck. It became known as palilalia (from the Greek πάλιν (pŠlin) meaning "again" and λαλιά (laliŠ) meaning "speech" or "to talk").

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palilalia

Palilalia is considered a language disorder (as opposed to a speech disorder). You can read more about it at the above link.

This could be a minor annoying habit or it could be the result of a larger problem such as Tourette's, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, autism, Asperger's or a stroke. Since I have been paying attention to Trump for less than two years I have no idea how far back this goes. Has he done this his whole life? Since awhile back? Relatively recently? That could be indicative of what could possibly be the cause. Or not.

So I think Trump has palilalia. I think he has palilalia. Yeah, palilalia. Bigly. Believe me.
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 05-06-17 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-06-17, 01:30 AM   #2
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Does Trump have palilalia? Does Trump have palilalia?

I witnessed it as well but I don't think he has that. I think he does it intentionally to get the message out and he wants people to take notice.
Old 05-06-17, 01:37 AM   #3
DVD Talk Legend

I remember when he was campaigning and folks deciphered the majority of his bullshit speeches and they zeroed in on the operative words. He does it on purpose and really can't help himself. By repeating the same shit over and over he gets the morons out there to support his drivel.
Old 05-06-17, 02:40 AM   #4
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think anyone who repeats things as much as Trump (and I can't think of anyone else who does, in my experience, except Raymond Babbitt) is always, or even most of the time, doing it consciously and deliberately.

Here is someone who found 42 repetitions in Trump's presidential announcement speech. Some of them are substantive things but some are just meaningless and add nothing. We can dismiss a few such as "a great, great wall" or "...it’s like — it’s like take the New England Patriots and Tom Brady and have them play your high school football team" as pretty normal but most are not.

http://americablog.com/2016/05/whats...e-stutter.html

As the author of the article says, "It doesn’t come across as repetition for emphasis. It comes across as a speech impediment, or perhaps more to the point, a thought impediment." (Which can be likened to the Wiki article that says palilalia is a language disorder, not a speech disorder.)

Another point is that if he wants to emphasize certain things by repetition, the way to do that is to use it sparingly. Many people understand how to do that. But when he does it constantly it just becomes annoying and distracting, defeating that purpose. After hearing it for so long I find myself (consciously or unconsciously) waiting for it and whenever he does it, it takes me out. Is that just me?
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 05-06-17, 08:57 AM   #5
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Palilalia? Great name, great name. Just might use that for my firstborn by my fourth wife. Just might."
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORML54601 View Post
I wholly endorse having sex with midgets for 1 simple reason: it makes my dick look bigger.
Old 05-06-17, 08:57 AM   #6
DVD Talk Hero

While I personally find it delicious, given his love for McDonalds, KFC, and overdone steaks, I wonder if Trump's palette is sophisticated enough to enjoy paella.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 05-06-17, 09:47 AM   #7
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
While I personally find it delicious, given his love for McDonalds, KFC, and overdone steaks, I wonder if Trump's palette is sophisticated enough to enjoy paella.
"Palate," you mean.
Old 05-06-17, 09:56 AM   #8
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
"Palate," you mean.
Right. A "palette" is a female pal.

- David French
Old 05-06-17, 10:29 AM   #9
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I also never paid attention to anything he said until the presidential debates, but I definitely noticed it at that time. I just assumed it was because he had a poor vocabulary and had difficulty stringing together more than one or two kind of coherent sentences, so that when stumbled upon one he liked, he just kept repeating it instead of struggling to put together a new sentence to follow.
Old 05-06-17, 10:41 AM   #10
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I also never paid attention to anything he said until the presidential debates, but I definitely noticed it at that time. I just assumed it was because he had a poor vocabulary and had difficulty stringing together more than one or two kind of coherent sentences, so that when stumbled upon one he liked, he just kept repeating it instead of struggling to put together a new sentence to follow.
I agree with this. Trump is a stupid man who doesn't know much and doesn't have much to say, so he keeps repeating the same simple thoughts, like "great," "amazing" and "bigly" for good things, and "disaster" and "terrible" for bad things.
Old 05-06-17, 10:46 AM   #11
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Health care consent forms are written for a 2nd grade education level. It's on purpose. Speak rather simply, repeat and repeat to get your point across.
Old 05-06-17, 11:05 AM   #12
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM View Post
Health care consent forms are written for a 2nd grade education level. It's on purpose. Speak rather simply, repeat and repeat to get your point across.
Trump only understands history, politics and social interactions at the 2nd grade level too.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 05-06-17, 12:24 PM   #13
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
"Palate," you mean.
I was ... uh ... talking about his painting supplies. Yeah, that's the ticket!
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 05-06-17, 12:36 PM   #14
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I was ... uh ... talking about his painting supplies. Yeah, that's the ticket!
You mean "that's the tickette." Which is a female tick.

I hate ticks. Ticks are a disaster. A disaster. I hate ticks, believe me.

- David French
Old 05-06-17, 01:17 PM   #15
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Trump only understands history, politics and social interactions at the 2nd grade level too.
ahhh. ha. funny.

typical lib moronic playbook response will be NO IT'S SAD. just watch in 3... 2....
Old 05-06-17, 01:25 PM   #16
DVD Talk God

I think it is mostly decades of ingrained sales seminar type bullshit. Like where he gets his handshake because he's a fucking gorilla who needs to let others know they are suppose to like his poo.
ďThe illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.Ē

― Carl Sagan
Old 05-06-17, 02:53 PM   #17
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe he has mob connections...

Old 05-06-17, 02:56 PM   #18
DVD Talk Legend

Palilalia? Is that a euphenism for stupidity, inarticulateness, and narcissism?
"Another day, another dolour." -Me
Old 05-06-17, 03:33 PM   #19
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Uh, is this anything like, you know, uh, people who, uh, you know, like say like, you now, and uh every other word.
Old 05-06-17, 04:52 PM   #20
DVD Talk Hero

Holy uranium!
Old 05-06-17, 04:52 PM   #21
DVD Talk Legend

Ive heard people say it's a deliberate technique similar to hypnosis. It's subliminal suggestion. I agree with Dave that it's probably from years of sales pitches and board meetings.
Old 05-06-17, 04:54 PM   #22
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Uh, is this anything like, you know, uh, people who, uh, you know, like say like, you now, and uh every other word.
You know what I mean?
Old 05-06-17, 04:57 PM   #23
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
No, the "uh" and "um" thing is Obama-without-his-teleprompter syndrome. Otherwise known as Obumuhlalia.

- David French
Old 05-06-17, 06:54 PM   #24
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember watching the debates, thinking "Who the fuck would vote for someone who talks like this?". Boy, was I wrong!