Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Judge: California Must Allow Transgender Inmates' Earrings

Old 04-30-17, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Judge: California Must Allow Transgender Inmates' Earrings

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...mates-earrings

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) California prison officials must provide for free undergarments that flatten the chest of transgender inmates at women's prisons and give transgender inmates at men's prisons access to bracelets, earrings, hair brushes and hair clips, a federal judge said Friday.

U.S. District Judge Jon Tigar issued the order in a federal lawsuit that earlier led California to become the first state to provide taxpayer-funded sex reassignment surgery to an inmate.

The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation also agreed as part of the suit by Shiloh Quine to give transgender inmates access to certain products. Quine, 57, had sex reassignment surgery in January and was transferred from a men's facility to a women's prison in Chowchilla. She is serving a life sentence for murder, kidnapping and robbery.

Prison officials said they are reviewing the ruling.

Tigar's ruling came in a dispute over the products transgender inmates should have access to. Corrections officials allow transgender female inmates in men's prisons to have sandals, t-shirts and walking shoes. Tigar's ruling Friday expanded that list to include pajamas, nightgowns, robes and scarves, rejecting the corrections department's argument that those items could be altered to resemble street clothes, aiding in escape attempts.

Another judge had ruled that earrings, bracelets, hair brushes and hair clips could pose safety concerns in men's prisons. Tigar, noting that women's prisons allow those items, said they could be made from materials such as rubber that didn't create safety risks.

Corrections officials also allow transgender male inmates at women's prisons to buy undergarments known as binders or compressions tops. Tigar said that was "effectively" denying those items to inmates who could not afford them.
Old 04-30-17, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Judge: California Must Allow Transgender Inmates' Earrings

Are female inmates in women's prisons allowed to posses those items?
Old 04-30-17, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Who cares.

There are a ton of "benefits" given to cis-gender inmates. Transgender peeps make up less than 1% of the piplulation. I'm going to guess even less than 1% of the prison population.

Let's start with "benefits" that actually have an impact. Instead of what had an emotional discrimination tug.
Old 04-30-17, 09:05 PM
Banned

Only concern is of things that can be worked into weapons.
Old 05-01-17, 05:53 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) California prison officials must provide for free undergarments that flatten the chest of transgender inmates at women's prisons and give transgender inmates at men's prisons access to bracelets, earrings, hair brushes and hair clips, a federal judge said Friday.

U.S. District Judge Jon Tigar issued the order in a federal lawsuit that earlier led California to become the first state to provide taxpayer-funded sex reassignment surgery to an inmate.

"free" undergarments.

Things that should not be tax payer funded: (1) Sex reassignment surgery. Especially for inmates.
Old 05-01-17, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
"free" undergarments.

Things that should not be tax payer funded: (1) Sex reassignment surgery. Especially for inmates.
Did they teach you in backwoods science class that all that it takes for gender reassignment surgery is some underwear and the power of positive thinking?
Old 05-01-17, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How about letting them have the necessities and that is it? They are in prison and decided to revoke their own free world privileges when they committed crimes.
Old 05-01-17, 11:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Um... "USNews Best States" as far as I can tell, is not a real news site, guys. This article has a note saying, "Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved." but... the article doesn't appear on ap.org at all. It's only on "usnews", "mercurynews" and "times-standard" according to google, all of which appear to just be news aggregates of others content to push their abundance of ads instead of, y'know, the news itself. I mean... one of the sites just has a dummy account named "The Associated Press" to which articles like this are tied.

I mean, I guess you could continue discussing the merits of the "story" but that just gives more weight and validity to a shitty website peddling bullshit they pretend is coming from AP.org, but actually isn't at all.

Last edited by Dan; 05-01-17 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-01-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Um... "USNews Best States" as far as I can tell, is not a real news site, guys. This article has a note saying, "Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved." but... the article doesn't appear on ap.org at all. It's only on "usnews", "mercurynews" and "times-standard" according to google, all of which appear to just be news aggregates of others content to push their abundance of ads instead of, y'know, the news itself. I mean... one of the sites just has a dummy account named "The Associated Press" to which articles like this are tied.

I mean, I guess you could continue discussing the merits of the "story" but that just gives more weight and validity to a shitty website peddling bullshit they pretend is coming from AP.org, but actually isn't at all.
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/2...ates-earrings/

http://abc11.com/news/ca-must-allow-...-says/1933303/
Old 05-01-17, 12:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Jason. I guess I just don't get how AP works. Those articles all are identical text, crediting Associated Press with the copyright, but it doesn't appear on AP.org's own website, so
Old 05-01-17, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
Did they teach you in backwoods science class that all that it takes for gender reassignment surgery is some underwear and the power of positive thinking?
I fail to see your purpose in citing "backwoods science class" other than to insult another forum member who raised a legitimate concern undoubtedly shared by much of the public...perhaps a majority of the public (including those with degrees in scientific fields from prestigious institutions of higher learning).

Go back and read his short post, and he only mentioned taxpayer funding for the issues involved...including "free underwear" that flattens the chest, etc. Considering that prisoners have to pay for many other non-essential items in prison, what's the connection between his objection to providing the items at taxpayer cost and your cheap shot at his educational background?

That comment doesn't address what he posted, but it does say something about the commenter's civility toward other members.
Old 05-01-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
I fail to see your purpose in citing "backwoods science class" other than to insult another forum member who raised a legitimate concern undoubtedly shared by much of the public...perhaps a majority of the public (including those with degrees in scientific fields from prestigious institutions of higher learning).

Go back and read his short post, and he only mentioned taxpayer funding for the issues involved...including "free underwear" that flattens the chest, etc. Considering that prisoners have to pay for many other non-essential items in prison, what's the connection between his objection to providing the items at taxpayer cost and your cheap shot at his educational background?

That comment doesn't address what he posted, but it does say something about the commenter's civility toward other members.
You are right. Space Ape has continually and repeatedly shown a lack of courtesy, civility, or hell, even common decency to our non-cis members here. I'm glad that you called him on it.

And since you are having trouble understanding it, go back and re-read his post. He leaps from undergarments to a completely non-related ad hominem attack on transgenders. Which he does every single time he posts.

So seriously, enough with the faux outrage.
Old 05-01-17, 03:17 PM
Banned

You are right. Space Ape has continually and repeatedly shown a lack of courtesy, civility, or hell, even common decency to our non-cis members here. I'm glad that you called him on it.

And since you are having trouble understanding it, go back and re-read his post. He leaps from undergarments to a completely non-related ad hominem attack on transgenders. Which he does every single time he posts.

So seriously, enough with the faux outrage.
Originally Posted by Space Ape Mafia View Post
"free" undergarments.

There's his entire post. Calling opposition to taxpayer funding of sex reassignment surgery (especially for inmates) an "ad hominem attack on transgenders" certainly does reveal that someone is having trouble understanding plain English.

It appears that the "outrage" is coming from your computer, so you might want to check to see who has highjacked it. Pointing out ad hominem attacks such as yours is just common courtesy. You should thank me for helping you see that (right after apologizing to Space Ape, which I'm sure you are bound to do, being the fair-minded citizen that you are).
Old 05-01-17, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
There's his entire post. Calling opposition to taxpayer funding of sex reassignment surgery (especially for inmates) an "ad hominem attack on transgenders" certainly does reveal that someone is having trouble understanding plain English.

It appears that the "outrage" is coming from your computer. Pointing out ad hominem attacks such as yours is just common courtesy. You should thank me for helping you see that (right after apologizing to Space Ape, which I'm sure you are bound to do, being the fair-minded citizen that you are).
Never going to happen. Not going to explain myself again. If you have trouble understanding it, that's your problem. Troll someone else. Have a nice day.
Old 05-01-17, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm actually surprised in CA that they aren't putting MTFs in with the female population.
Old 05-01-17, 03:28 PM
Banned

Never going to happen. Not going to explain myself again. If you have trouble understanding it, that's your problem. Troll someone else. Have a nice day.
Man, you just can't stop yourself with the ad hominem attacks, can you? You can sure dish out the insults, but when someone points out your unwarranted and unprovoked attacks, you reach for your "troll" card and then run away. That's a problem, all right...but not mine.

Of course you're not going to "explain yourself" since you have no excuse for your behavior. No one reading your comments should have any trouble at all understanding that.

Sadly, this has become the standard m.o. for so many. Don't agree with the views others? No need to debate them. Much easier to just call them names.

That's what elementary school kids used to do on playgrounds. Not attractive (or persuasive) then; still not attractive or persuasive.

Thanks for wishing me a nice day. Couldn't be better!
Old 05-01-17, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It seems making yourself look more feminine in a male prison is a really bad idea.
Old 05-01-17, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
It seems making yourself look more feminine in a male prison is a really bad idea.
Unless you want to become Schillinger's bitch.

Old 05-02-17, 05:26 AM
Political Exile

From the original post:

Originally Posted by Max Bottomtime View Post

FIRST PARAGRAPH:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — California prison officials must provide for free undergarments that flatten the chest of transgender inmates at women's prisons

SECOND PARAGRAPH

My comment, which I should have said more on, was "free" undergarments. Nothing is free, it's tax payer funded. I had an issue with the word "free". Tax payers should only be paying for things that are necessities.

The second paragraph included the bit about California having taxpayer funded sex reassignment surgery to inmate. This is ridiculous to have tax payers pay for. If the inmate wants the surgery they can find their own means to pay for it.

And since you are having trouble understanding it, go back and re-read his post. He leaps from undergarments to a completely non-related ad hominem attack on transgenders.
No, I wasn't making any leaps. I was commenting on something that i quoted from two different paragraphs. Didn't think that was hard to follow. It wasn't an "attack" on tg's, it was an "attack" on tax payers funding sex reassignment surgeries.