Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Is the Far Left in Putin's Pocket Too?

Old 04-30-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is the Far Left in Putin's Pocket Too?

We've known for a while that Jill Stein palled around with Vlad, but now it turns out one of the leading Bernie-or-Busters was an alt-right troll who's now employed by Sputnik News.

Two conservative journalists have sparked outcry on social media by making what some have interpreted as a white supremacist hand symbol at a recent visit to the White House.

Freelance journalist Mike Cernovich and Cassandra Fairbanks, a reporter for Russian news outlet Sputnik, posed for a picture behind the podium in the White House briefing room. In the photo, they are making a hand sign that can be used to signify “white power.”

“Just two people doing a white power hand gesture in the White House,” Fusion senior reporter Emma Roller tweeted, alongside a screenshot of the picture.

Ms Fairbanks joined notoriety when she moved from supporting Senator Bernie Sanders to supporting Mr Trump for president. She now frequently speaks out against Islamic terrorism and the Black Lives Matter movement. Her employer, Sputnik, applied for White House press credentials last month.

And now in France, the far left is arguing that people shouldn't vote in the run-off election because the centrist candidate Macron is in the pocket of banks and therefore is just as bad as the Neo-Nazi Marine LePen.

Instead, Mélenchon predicted that forcing France to choose between a candidate of “the extreme right” and one of “extreme finance” would led to a political crisis, and left open the possibility that he would submit a blank ballot, a form of protest vote permitted under French electoral law. (Mélenchon’s platform included provisions for voting to be made mandatory, and for blank ballots to be recognized under law.)

The appeal for unity, to construct a barrage, or dam, against the rising tide of the far-right, Mélenchon said, was, in fact, a disguised attempt to force voters like him, who profoundly disagree with Macron’s economic policies, to endorse his project.

Amid fears that widespread abstention and protest votes for neither candidate could lower the threshold for Le Pen to win with 50 percent of the valid votes cast, Mélenchon’s refusal to join the sort of united front against Le Pen that led to her father’s defeat in 2002 caused anxiety to spike.

Only 40% of Mélenchon voters now say they will back Macron, -15 points since Monday; 45% prefer to abstain. Same for 28% of Fillon voters… https://t.co/LBtVOHPEBV

— Sophie Pedder (@PedderSophie) April 28, 2017

Those fears were reflected on the front page of Saturday’s Libération, the Paris daily, which tried to shock left-wing voters into casting votes for Macron by imagining a Le Pen victory with depressed turnout and a high number of blank protest votes.

Tomorrow's headline in Libération: Marine Le Pen wins French presidency thanks to a record abstention rate of 33%. We can prevent this. pic.twitter.com/REYysduiFQ

— MacronInEnglish (@MacronInEnglish) April 28, 2017

They also inspired the Charlie Hebdo cartoonist Corinne Rey, who uses the pen name Coco, to predict that voters who refused to vote for Macron for any reason would be sorry if they lowered the bar for a victorious Le Pen.

#abstention #piège_à_cons BD du site de #charliehebdo en exclu… pic.twitter.com/51Ug5Gm4Fk

— Corinne (@cocoboer) April 28, 2017

“Macron is not my candidate,” the cartoonist explained on Twitter, but added a hashtag calling for a united front against the National Front.
Isn't it amazing how Melenchon is now using the exact same argument BernieBros used to justify their refusal to vote for Hillary? It's almost like there's some kind of grand conspiracy that's using the same playbook in multiple countries to subvert political extremists of all stripes.
Old 04-30-17, 11:56 AM

Re: Is the Far Left in Putin's Pocket Too?

Wasn't that "Free Speech" booth a joke set up by the Triumph show?
Old 04-30-17, 12:35 PM

Well, I think you draw a straight line from Glenn Greenwald, through Edward Snowden and Julian Assange, to Putin.
Old 04-30-17, 12:35 PM

Here's the "white supremacist hand symbol":

#FakeNews And The White Power Hand Sign That Didn’t Happen

Old 04-30-17, 12:40 PM

Old 04-30-17, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post

Hold up a hand and it'd be the Van Buren gang!
Old 04-30-17, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the "white supremacist hand symbol":
I think this might be a real thing - look here.

- And here.

Oh, no - not him too
Old 04-30-17, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

At my kids school everybody does that to signify "no talking". Must be a neo nazi school. I had no idea.
Old 04-30-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sean O'Hara, what fucking rabbit hole did you go down to find that shit and why did you feel the need to share it?
Old 04-30-17, 03:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

This buzzfeed article makes an interesting point about the OK thing.
Where it gets really fuzzy, however, is trying to determine when and if these symbols cross over from ironic usage. Take milk. While milk as a supremacist symbol may have started as a sneering troll, it has now become an oft-used prop to publicly signal support for white nationalist politics at rallies, protests, and brawls. Even if it's being used ironically, it has taken on additional context when people are using it knowing how it will be interpreted. Does that make the millions of American children adding milk to their cereal every morning neo-Nazis? Of course not.
I'm of the opinion that those doing it, including Mike "magic juice" C., are doing it as a joke. To them and their followers, it's funny and ironic, because "Haha! They think we're doing a white power symbol, when we're really just doing a FAKE white power symbol! People are so gullible!"

I'm just not sure when that silly kind of thing goes from "ironic" to just... being about the thing they're pretending to be about. If you're on a message board where 33% of the people are 'ironically' joking and saying "____ are lazy! LOL!" while another 33% of the people are un-ironically regularly saying "____ ARE lazy, I'd never give them a job. Hahaha!", how are the remaining 33% of people meant to interpret the general 'message' of that discussion? What if every discussion on that board is 33% 'ironic' racism and 33% 'real' racism? At what point is it really just all racism?

With this whole A-OK thing... 1... it's dumb. It's not even funny. The reaction is dumb. It's exactly what trolls like Mike C and Milo Y want. But, 2, if real white supremacists were to start saying, "Hey that's a good symbol! Let's use it!" and they DO start using it regularly and consistently, then what? I don't think we're there with this dumb thing, but it's easy for dumb shit to catch on. You can't always fall back on the "It's just satire, man! It's ironic! It's funny! You ____ just don't have a sense of humor any more!"

Put another way, if a bunch of ironically racist actions or statements appear next to un-ironic racist actions or statements which are all generally indistinguishable from each other... what's the difference? IS there a difference?
Old 04-30-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My goodness. You may want to see a doctor dude.
Old 04-30-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
No - this is peanut butter and crack territory.

Old 04-30-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Obviously everyone is in Putin's pocket, except for the shining beacon of morality and national security, Hillary Clinton.
Old 04-30-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Damn Obama was a white supremacist too?
Old 04-30-17, 07:11 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Coming from you of all people, that's fucking hilarious.
Old 04-30-17, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
We've known for a while that Jill Stein palled around with Vlad, but now it turns out one of the leading Bernie-or-Busters was an alt-right troll who's now employed by Sputnik News.
[...]
Isn't it amazing how Melenchon is now using the exact same argument BernieBros used to justify their refusal to vote for Hillary? It's almost like there's some kind of grand conspiracy that's using the same playbook in multiple countries to subvert political extremists of all stripes.
During the election, I noticed that a lot of the "Bernie" crowd were entirely anti-Hillary. All many of them did was repeat anti-Clinton talking points (Benghazi! goldman Sachs! E-mail! Clinton Foundation!) and were never actually critical of any republican candidates nor did they ever express any support for actual liberal causes.

Russians? GOP cointel?

Dunno.

Actually sounds a lot like kvrdave, and I've known him long enough to give him the benefit of the doubt on being a Russian stooge, and he doesn't seem to be a down-the-line right-winger since he got into weed.
Old 04-30-17, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Coming from you of all people, that's fucking hilarious.
I think your point is spot on. At a certain point, the trolling becomes the reality. Alex Jones tried the whole "Sike! I was just trolling!" schtick in his custody battle. It didn't work there, and I'm not sure why it should work any better here.
Old 04-30-17, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sean O'Hara, what fucking rabbit hole did you go down to find that shit and why did you feel the need to share it?
David Frum posted it on Twitter.

This is a standard alt-right tactic -- take an innocuous symbol and turn it into a code-signal, then deny that it means anything when people notice a bunch of racist ass hats always using that symbol. We saw it during the election with Pepe the Frog, and the usual idiots came out and told us how it was just some old webcomic that didn't mean anything, and we should totally ignore the thousands of antisemitic trolls using Pepe as Twitter avatars. Now it's, "Well, they're just making an OK sign. That can't possibly mean anything other than 'okay'."

Yeah. Because when you're posing for a photo behind the White House press podium, the natural inclination is to make a hand gesture that indicates this is a perfectly adequate experience. And the fact that the only people to do this are alt-right ass hats like Cernovich and Hoft is pure coincidence.

If this were the 1920s, some people here would be swearing up and down that the Swastika is just an ancient Sanskrit symbol for the sun.
Old 05-01-17, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I think your point is spot on. At a certain point, the trolling becomes the reality. Alex Jones tried the whole "Sike! I was just trolling!" schtick in his custody battle. It didn't work there, and I'm not sure why it should work any better here.
Follow the leader. Attack the courts. They're corrupt. Shut them down.
Old 05-01-17, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

David Frum posted it on Twitter.

This is a standard alt-right tactic -- take an innocuous symbol and turn it into a code-signal, then deny that it means anything when people notice a bunch of racist ass hats always using that symbol. We saw it during the election with Pepe the Frog, and the usual idiots came out and told us how it was just some old webcomic that didn't mean anything, and we should totally ignore the thousands of antisemitic trolls using Pepe as Twitter avatars. Now it's, "Well, they're just making an OK sign. That can't possibly mean anything other than 'okay'."

Yeah. Because when you're posing for a photo behind the White House press podium, the natural inclination is to make a hand gesture that indicates this is a perfectly adequate experience. And the fact that the only people to do this are alt-right ass hats like Cernovich and Hoft is pure coincidence.

If this were the 1920s, some people here would be swearing up and down that the Swastika is just an ancient Sanskrit symbol for the sun.
What if I told you there was this pizza parlor? But it's all a front for child abduction and prostitution!!!
Old 05-01-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

everyone one is in everyones pockets... the dems too. both parties are full of shit.

but its hilarious to see everyone shitting on the president as being the only one thats a corrupt person. they are all corrupt
Old 05-01-17, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What if I told you there was this pizza parlor? But it's all a front for child abduction and prostitution!!!
Your example may have flown by Mr O'Hara - like a comet.
Old 05-01-17, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say that the Soviets had a term for people like you, but the mods wouldn't like me posting it.
Old 05-01-17, 11:19 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if Mabuse and mspmms realize that the Comet Pizza story is an example of right-wing idiots (including the very same Mike C pictured in this thread) pushing an idea enough to cause another right-wing idiot to open fire on a goddamn pizza parlour... precisely because of the ideas pushed by the very same people ironically using the OK symbol as a fake white power totally ironic joke.

Which reminds me, when I was a kid, I remember the OK symbol being totally innocent. We used it all the time. Those were good times. Then someone pointed out that it actually meant asshole. They said, the three fingers were the A-S-S and the circle was the Hole. Even though I didn't believe them, and the symbol was (is) still totally innocent for the vast majority of people, I still think of A-S-S Hole when I see it because of that damn kid, and I laugh. Same thing for people who said KMFDM meant Kill Mother Fucking Depeche Mode. Another dumb thing that caught on with people who decided that DM's music was worse than KMFDM's music (it wasn't).

Asshole. Huh.

/anecdote
Old 05-01-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say that the Soviets had a term for people like you, but the mods wouldn't like me posting it.
Revisionist? Antisoviet? Counterrevolutionary? Kulak? Trotskyite?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.