Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Brit politician Nigel Farage wants to split California in two to benefit Republicans

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Brit politician Nigel Farage wants to split California in two to benefit Republicans

Old 03-28-17, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This plan would split California vertically into two states. Eastern California would be more likely to vote for Republicans. The referendum would occur in the 2018 midterm election, and Democrats tend not to participate in midterms at a high rate. I'm no constitutional scholar, but apparently even if this referendum were to succeed, the U.S. Congress -- and perhaps the California legislature -- would have to approve it. This seems like a long shot, but crazier things have happened.

Reading about this potential referendum pissed me off for a few reasons. First of all, this is a transparent effort to tilt the Electoral College in the direction of Republicans. The U.S. is supposed to be a democracy, but some people keep trying to game the system to subvert the will of the people. Second, this effort is being orchestrated in part by foreigners. They need to mind their own damn business and stay the fuck out of our politics. Third, the people behind this effort are already lying their asses off and using outrageous propaganda that pits Californians against one another and feeds off of stereotypes.

Brexit engineer Nigel Farage hired to promote effort to break California in two at Salon.com

Nigel Farage, the British politician known for his successful campaign to get the United Kingdom to leave the European Union, has teamed up with the backers of a campaign to split California into two separate states: a coastal state that would be dominated by liberal-dominated portion and an inland state that would be far more conservative.
Farage and his finance partner Arron Banks have reportedly been recruited by Republican operatives Scott Baugh and Gerry Gunster to help raise money to fund the drive to get more than 500,000 signatures from around the state in order to put the proposal before voters on California’s 2018 ballot.

According to UK Daily Mail, the British duo raised around $1 million on a recent trip to California, primarily from technology entrepreneurs and agriculture.

Banks told the paper the campaign would use the same impulse that propelled the Brexit campaign to victory: “It would be portrayed as the Hollywood elites versus the people, breaking up the bad government..."
Old 03-28-17, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Re: British politician wants to split California in two to benefit Republicans.

Wouldn't it be easier to try to get California to adopt the Maine/Nebraska system of awarding electoral votes on the basis of winning congressional districts with the overall winner of the state getting the two EVs represented by the senators?

If that were done, the Republicans would get (if the districts voted the same as they did for their congresspeople in the last election) 14 EVs (out of 55 total) - about 1/4. If the state were split (depending on exactly where, of course) would they even get that many with almost all the more populous cites being in the west?

Anyway, neither is going to happen, although the congressional district plan is at least a teensy, tiny bit remotely possible and the split state scheme really isn't.
Old 03-28-17, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Farage should know how to do it. Britain is badly unbalanced in favor of the rural votes. There are constituencies in Wales with fewer than 45,000 people, and constituencies in the urban southeast with more than 90,000 people. That means in 2015, in Aberconwy Wales, a mere 12,000 Conservative votes were able to elect a member of Parliament, but in West Ham, London, it took 36,000 Labor votes to elect an MP. That's triple the voting power awarded to those Welsh voters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...constituencies
Old 03-28-17, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Virtually all the water used in "western" California comes from "eastern" California. The cities of Los Angeles and San Francisco own enormous swaths of the eastern part of the state. A split would be extremely difficult.
Old 03-28-17, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More politicians who can't embrace diverse ideas. Instead of earning people's respect (and votes) through action, let's just get a divorce!
Old 03-28-17, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Republicans sound like the whiny bunch here (and almost anywhere else).
Old 03-28-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How about a trade off, splitting California in two and doing away with the electoral college.
Old 03-28-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How about we redraw all the borders to make things fairer.

Spoiler:
Old 03-28-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If we were to divide California, wouldn't north and south make more sense, that way both states have solid economic bases? Going east and west just creates one super wealthy state, and one state with a bunch of mountains.
Old 03-28-17, 11:44 AM
Banned by request

Farage is human garbage.
Old 03-28-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
How about we redraw all the borders to make things fairer.

Spoiler:
What would those boundaries have looked like 50 years ago when New York was the most populous state (it has now been passed by California, Texas and Florida)? Many other shifts have been enormous (with the South and West becoming more populous compared to the Northeast and Midwest).

The map above - does it favor Republicans or Democrats as it is drawn?

And then what? Adjust the boundaries as populations shift (to "keep" it "fair")? Every ten years with the census ? One day I could live in Menominee and the next day in Gary. I see some gerrymandering here. Not just within states but with the state boundaries.

Surely no one thinks this is a serious consideration.
Old 03-28-17, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
If we were to divide California, wouldn't north and south make more sense, that way both states have solid economic bases? Going east and west just creates one super wealthy state, and one state with a bunch of mountains.
It would make sense in every way except electorally.
Old 03-28-17, 12:27 PM

Re: Brit politician Nigel Farage wants to split California in two to benefit Republic

Please note: I changed the thread title slightly in order to add Farage's name to it.

The little shitstain.
Old 03-28-17, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
My guess is that the Central Valley would be in "east" California. So you would have one statethat is all agriculture, logistics, and manufacturing, and the other state that is high tech, entertainment, finance, healthcare.
Old 03-28-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
What would those boundaries have looked like 50 years ago when New York was the most populous state (it has now been passed by California, Texas and Florida)? Many other shifts have been enormous (with the South and West becoming more populous compared to the Northeast and Midwest).

The map above - does it favor Republicans or Democrats as it is drawn?

And then what? Adjust the boundaries as populations shift (to "keep" it "fair")? Every ten years with the census ? One day I could live in Menominee and the next day in Gary. I see some gerrymandering here. Not just within states but with the state boundaries.

Surely no one thinks this is a serious consideration.
With respect to your last question, I don't think anyone is advocating this as a serious proposal (including me).

With respect to your other questions, they can all be answered with a simple phrase: beats the hell out of me. I just think it's a cool and interesting map. The map comes from here.
Old 03-28-17, 01:43 PM

With respect to your last question, I don't think anyone is advocating this as a serious proposal (including me).

With respect to your other questions, they can all be answered with a simple phrase: beats the hell out of me. I just think it's a cool and interesting map. The map comes from here.
What's funny (to me) is that, even with this new map, I still end up having grown up about five miles from the borders of three different states.
Old 03-28-17, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

(It was your "make things fairer" comment that threw me.)
Old 03-28-17, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movielib View Post

(It was your "make things fairer" comment that threw me.)
I think it would make things fairer. There's no reason a person from Wyoming should have more representation in the Senate or the electoral college than a person from California. It happens that way because of the historical curiosity of where state lines were drawn and where population centers are, but there's no principled reason why we think it's fair for a person from Cheyenne or Laramie to have more of a voice than a person from San Diego or Los Angeles.

Of course, there are all sorts of logistical problems that would come with moving state borders, but as long as we're willing to entertain the idea of redrawing California's borders, we might as well entertain the idea of redrawing them all.
Old 03-28-17, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's no reason a person from Wyoming should have more representation in the Senate or the electoral college than a person from California.
Old 03-28-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Brit politician Nigel Farage wants to split California in two to benefit Republic

Mother nature will split the state east/west eventually.
Old 03-28-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Mother nature will split the state east/west eventually.
Old 03-28-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Oh my God. Nigel is now accused of splitting California.

California has been ripping at the seams for many years. From shitty and stupid governors who lied to their citizens, bad budget planning and federal siphoning of money, to politicians who represent free healthcare for illegal immigrants, California's fate will be due to its own actions...not some Brit.

I can't wait until Democrats spin the 'But Britian! political assault on a wider and more popular basis (i.e., Nancy Pee and Chuck Shoo officially making Britain an enemy and linking BRIT COMMUNICATIONS WITH TRUMP!!!!!), since 'But Russia! has been failing so terribly.
Old 03-28-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Massachusetts and Maine are the same state again.
Old 03-28-17, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Milo, Farage, what is it with Brits and US politics.
Old 03-28-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
since 'But Russia! has been failing so terribly.
Sad!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.