Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-11-17, 01:33 PM   #301
DVD Talk Hero

Re: North Korea may have fired missiles

Or deleting emails.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-13-17, 10:30 AM   #302
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently, a recent test of the energy output of Kim's bomb was 250 Kilotons.

As a matter of comparison, the bomb dropped on Hiroshima released energy of about 15 Kilotons.

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 09-13-17, 10:45 AM   #303
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Apparently, a recent test of the energy output of Kim's bomb was 250 Kilotons.

As a matter of comparison, the bomb dropped on Hiroshima released energy of about 15 Kilotons.
Thank god we have someone as mature and level-headed as President Pussygrabber in charge to deal with this.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-14-17, 06:53 PM   #304
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
South Korea: North Korea has launched projectile toward the east
Old 09-14-17, 07:21 PM   #305
Somewhat Banned

Yep, another missile launched over Hokkaido, Japan and they had just threatened to "sink Japan and reduce the US mainland into ash and darkness" after the most recent UN sanctions. *sigh*
Old 09-14-17, 07:29 PM   #306
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So they do want to commit suicide, and take South Korea along with them?
Old 09-14-17, 08:40 PM   #307
DVD Talk Legend

Let's send North Korea Equifax to fuck them over.
Old 09-14-17, 08:55 PM   #308
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No bank loan for your missiles. You gotta pay cash.
Old 09-14-17, 09:13 PM   #309
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Do we get "Fire and fury" now??

I was promised fire and fury

Winner! James Bond 007 Sheep game 8/26/16
Old 09-26-17, 01:02 PM   #310
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What happened to Otto Warmbier was horrifying. I don't know what the North Korea solution is, but I hope that it includes a permanent end to the current regime.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e2ec22695346

Quote:
On Tuesday, the Warmbiers (parents) vehemently pushed back against North Korea's claims, sharing the utter shock and grief they felt meeting their comatose son at the airport.

"We walked over to the plane; the engines are still humming," Fred Warmbier said. "When we got halfway up the steps, we heard this howling, involuntary, inhuman sound. We weren't really certain what it was. … Otto was on the stretcher across in the plane, and he was jerking violently, making these inhuman sounds."

Fred Warmbier said his wife and daughter ran off the plane, while he and his other son walked over to the stretcher. Otto Warmbier now had a shaved head, a feeding tube emerging from his nose, and was blind and deaf.

"As we looked at him and tried to comfort him, it looked like someone had taken a pair of pliers and rearranged his bottom teeth," Fred Warmbier said.

"They destroyed him," Cindy Warmbier added, shaking her head. Within two days, their son's fever spiked to 104 degrees; there was a large scar on his right foot, they added.
Old 09-26-17, 01:52 PM   #311
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
What happened to Otto Warmbier was horrifying. I don't know what the North Korea solution is, but I hope that it includes a permanent end to the current regime.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e2ec22695346

And as fucked up as that is -- nuclear war is not the answer.
Old 09-26-17, 02:02 PM   #312
DVD Talk Limited Edition

At what point though do you use a military option to stop NK?
Old 09-26-17, 02:10 PM   #313
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
At what point though do you use a military option to stop NK?
Only when they fire a weapon that hits a populated place -- nuclear or otherwise.

See, it's all fun and fucking games until you mess with a country that also has nuclear weapons ready to be used. This is also not to say that it would be NK firing one directly at the USA -- that one is sort of unlikely. South Korea would be first and Japan possibly second.
Old 09-26-17, 02:20 PM   #314
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Only when they fire a weapon that hits a populated place -- nuclear or otherwise.

See, it's all fun and fucking games until you mess with a country that also has nuclear weapons ready to be used. This is also not to say that it would be NK firing one directly at the USA -- that one is sort of unlikely. South Korea would be first and Japan possibly second.
My concern is waiting until NK has a large arsenal of nuclear weapons, more than the US has the capability to shoot down. Where basically NK could take us out whenever they decided to. I'm not proposing starting a war, I'm just honestly trying to see what actual options we have, if any, to stop NK and their crazy ass dictator.
Old 09-26-17, 02:40 PM   #315
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
My concern is waiting until NK has a large arsenal of nuclear weapons, more than the US has the capability to shoot down. Where basically NK could take us out whenever they decided to. I'm not proposing starting a war, I'm just honestly trying to see what actual options we have, if any, to stop NK and their crazy ass dictator.
Tweeting at the them is the only solution.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-26-17, 02:52 PM   #316
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tweeting is stupid, calling Kim "Rocket Man" is stupid, but I don't think we should react only if or after they fire a weapon that hits a populated place. I don't know how, but we need to get North Korea to stop where they are on nuclear weapons, similar to what the Iran deal did (that Trump so loudly and so often railed against).
Old 09-26-17, 02:55 PM   #317
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Tweeting is stupid, calling Kim "Rocket Man" is stupid, but I don't think we should react only after they fire a weapon that hits a populated place. I don't know how, but we need to get North Korea to stop where they are on nuclear weapons, similar to what the Iran deal did (that Trump so loudly and so often railed against).
I agree but no president (or any other country) so far has been able to do anything at all with NK.
Old 09-26-17, 03:02 PM   #318
Psi
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like that Trump is adopting a tougher stance, but he needs to drop the belligerent name-calling insults toward Kim. If anything, I think it makes him appear less serious than he is or should be.
Old 09-26-17, 03:05 PM   #319
Time Lord

Quote:
Tweeting is stupid, calling Kim "Rocket Man" is stupid, but I don't think we should react only if or after they fire a weapon that hits a populated place. I don't know how, but we need to get North Korea to stop where they are on nuclear weapons, similar to what the Iran deal did (that Trump so loudly and so often railed against).
The problem is the US has a history of turning their backs on or actively destroying countries that agree to stop developing nuclear weapons. And thatís with more predictable presidents in place. With Trump at the helm, thereís no way to trust any deal.
Old 09-26-17, 03:12 PM   #320
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
The problem is the US has a history of turning their backs on or actively destroying countries that agree to stop developing nuclear weapons. And thatís with more predictable presidents in place. With Trump at the helm, thereís no way to trust any deal.
I don't think that history has anything to do with why NK continues to build their weapons program.
Old 09-26-17, 03:20 PM   #321
Time Lord

Quote:
I don't think that history has anything to do with why NK continues to build their weapons program.
Really? I think history has a great deal to do with it, going all the way back to the Korean War. I know most people think Kim Jong-Un is crazy, but I disagree. I think heís acting quite rationally for a leader in his position.
Old 09-26-17, 03:37 PM   #322
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Really? I think history has a great deal to do with it, going all the way back to the Korean War. I know most people think Kim Jong-Un is crazy, but I disagree. I think heís acting quite rationally for a leader in his position.
Ok, I'm going to disagree that Kim Jong-un is a rational leader. But that aside, do you think that the US and the rest of the world should just go ahead and let NK build up their weapons?
Old 09-26-17, 03:39 PM   #323
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
NK has said that the Iraq and Libya denuclearization directly led to regime change and that is their main calculus for keeping their nukes. Regime survival is their main concern. This is actually a pretty logical thought. I don't know where we go from here though.
Old 09-26-17, 03:45 PM   #324
DVD Talk Legend

Yup, echoes the essay I posted from Reddit earlier. There is zero incentive for him not to keep nukes.
Old 09-26-17, 03:46 PM   #325
Time Lord

Quote:
Ok, I'm going to disagree that Kim Jong-un is a rational leader. But that aside, do you think that the US and the rest of the world should just go ahead and let NK build up their weapons?
Okay, let me rephrase. I donít know about Kim Jong-Unís day to day mental state, but his actions have all been rational in respect to his stated goals for the country and its international relations.

Personally I think that yes, we do let NK build up its nuclear weapons, and stop doing military exercises on their border, and try to open diplomatic relations. I donít think KJU is going to use a nuke on SK or Japan or the US without provocation. Doing so would bring the weight of the world down on them, including China. The reason theyíre pushing so hard for nukes is partially for self defense, and partially to raise their standing on the world stage.