Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Colorado Law Would Enable Victims To Sue Governments For Illegal Immigrant Crimes

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Colorado Law Would Enable Victims To Sue Governments For Illegal Immigrant Crimes

Old 01-31-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/30...ctuary-cities/

Colorado lawmaker wants to let victims of crimes committed by immigrants sue politicians in “sanctuary cities”

A Republican state lawmaker on Monday announced a bill that would allow victims of certain crimes committed by immigrants in the country illegally to sue politicians who refuse to cooperate with federal immigration authorities.

The proposal, which has not yet been introduced, targets so-called “sanctuary cities” like Denver, Boulder and Aurora, where police and other officials have said they won’t enforce federal immigration laws.

“It’s beyond any reasonable thought as to why the Democrats, along with (Denver Mayor Michael Hancock), would continue to not only act outside the law, which they swore to uphold, but also enjoy immunity from their reckless decision to place Coloradans in danger because of the sanctuary city policies that they created and continue to implement,” Rep. Dave Williams, R-Colorado Springs, said in a news release announcing the bill.

The proposal thrusts the Colorado legislature into the divisive national battle over immigration that reached a fever pitch in the last few days with a few strokes of President Donald Trump’s pen. Over the last six days, Trump signed executive orders targeting so-called “sanctuary cities,” and imposing a travel ban barring immigrants from several predominantly Muslim countries, including Iraq, Iran and Syria.

It is unclear what liability politicians would have under the proposal. In the release, Williams, who is Hispanic, said it would give victims of crimes committed by people in the country illegally in sanctuary cities the right to file both “civil and criminal complaints” against politicians who support such policies.
Sounds like a great idea. If you're a politician and/or a city official that does not want to enforce federal laws, then you should have the opportunity to be taken to criminal court, in addition to a nice civil opportunity as well.
Old 01-31-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Colorado Law Would Enable Victims To Sue Governments For Illegal Immigrant Crimes

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/30...ctuary-cities/

Colorado lawmaker wants to let victims of crimes committed by immigrants sue politicians in “sanctuary cities”

Sounds like a great idea. If you're a politician and/or a city official that does not want to enforce federal laws, then you should have the opportunity to be taken to criminal court, in addition to a nice civil opportunity as well.
Wait, I thought Repubs were in favor of states rights?
Old 01-31-17, 12:04 PM

Re: Colorado Law Would Enable Victims To Sue Governments For Illegal Immigrant Crimes

Dumb question: is there any other circumstance where the victim of a crime can sue the government in this fashion? For example, if a judge gives a criminal a light sentence and then he mugs me the next day, can I sue the judge?
Old 01-31-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Wait, I thought Repubs were in favor of states rights?
I thought Dems wanted to uphold Federal Laws.
Old 01-31-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Dumb question: is there any other circumstance where the victim of a crime can sue the government in this fashion? For example, if a judge gives a criminal a light sentence and then he mugs me the next day, can I sue the judge?
No. Because the judge was following the law, even though it was considered a light sentence. Ethical charges or whatever could be investigated but rarely are unless the judge has a chronic record of doing it.

But if you have an employee of the US Government, like a politician/mayor, who blatantly says they will not follow the law...then they open themselves up to a legal breach of public duty.

EDIT: You can sue anyone. But whether the lawsuit would be thrown out once it's seen by other legal eyes...is what I was referring to.
Old 01-31-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

semi off topic question,

how is one an illegal immigrant? just coming over the border, over staying your guest visa, or both?

curious
Old 01-31-17, 12:25 PM

But if you have an employee of the US Government, like a politician/mayor, who blatantly says they will not follow the law...then they open themselves up to a legal breach of public duty.
??? A mayor is a city employee... not a US Gov't employee. State legislators work for their state, not the US Gov't.
Old 01-31-17, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
semi off topic question,

how is one an illegal immigrant? just coming over the border, over staying your guest visa, or both?

curious
What does the world illegal mean?
Old 01-31-17, 12:28 PM

semi off topic question,

curious
either
Old 01-31-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My understanding of us as a "sanctuary city" is that the cops just don't ask to see people's immigration status when responding to other calls and crimes.

That way, communities that may have illegal immigrants feel comfortable calling the police when they are actually needed. As opposed to never calling the police for anything out of fear and trying to handle things themselves.

I prefer people calling the police when needed. Makes the community safer overall.
Old 01-31-17, 12:35 PM

Right. It's border patrol's job to enforce immigration laws, not local police.
Old 01-31-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
??? A mayor is a city employee... not a US Gov't employee. State legislators work for their state, not the US Gov't.
I meant to say public office. If you have a public office employee who refuses to obey laws which apply to them and their representative area, they should be held accountable both criminally and in the civil courts. I would also think it would violate their initial hiring terms of service to citizens. But if nobody is going to enforce those laws...the public office employee can do whatever they want...pick and choose whatever laws they want to follow.
Old 01-31-17, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is no general right to have the law enforced, and by the way, a mayor is not an employee of the US Government.
Old 01-31-17, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Right. It's border patrol's job to enforce immigration laws, not local police.
Exactly. And what's more, there are reasonable policy calculations driving the decision of local law enforcement not to enforce immigration law (briefly, local law enforcement wants people who are not here legally to feel comfortable calling the police if they are the victim of a crime). One can debate the wisdom of that policy decision, but none of the critics of "sanctuary cities" ever seem to want to have that debate -- they just want to rant about illegal immigrants.
Old 01-31-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

semi off topic question,

curious
Any or all of the above -- basically, citizens have a lawful right to be in the country no matter what. For all others, there are procedures they are supposed to follow (visas), and most visas specify the time you're allowed to stay. The majority of illegal immigrants in the country are people who entered legally but overstayed their visa (which just shows how stupid the argument that we need a border wall truly is).
Old 01-31-17, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Any or all of the above -- basically, citizens have a lawful right to be in the country no matter what. For all others, there are procedures they are supposed to follow (visas), and most visas specify the time you're allowed to stay. The majority of illegal immigrants in the country are people who entered legally but overstayed their visa (which just shows how stupid the argument that we need a border wall truly is).
true... so then they are illegal now right? isnt that bad though?
Old 01-31-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

true... so then they are illegal now right? isnt that bad though?
What's worse - that or communities of immigrants (legal and illegal) not calling the police when they are victims of crimes because they are scared about being deported in the process?

Not pie in the sky stuff - real world "this is how things actually work" stuff.
Old 01-31-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There is no general right to have the law enforced, and by the way, a mayor is not an employee of the US Government.
You're right, the mayor is not a federal employee. I corrected my post way before you commented.

And by the way, there is no general right...never said there was...but there is an obligation for a public office employee to abide by not only city and state laws...but FEDERAL LAWS as well.

I would imagine abiding by laws on the books would be part of their hiring stipulations as a public office employee.
Old 01-31-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Any or all of the above -- basically, citizens have a lawful right to be in the country no matter what.
Citizens have a right? You mean...legal citizens of that country. You can't just waltz into a country and claim you have a right to be there.

The majority of illegal immigrants in the country are people who entered legally but overstayed their visa (which just shows how stupid the argument that we need a border wall truly is).
How do you know that if illegals are undocumented. You make no sense. You're saying that people with Visas...who are documented...somehow represent the problem of illegals in this country who are not documented.

Two different situations here.
Old 01-31-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

A Federal law said the schools in the South had to integrate. Governors, mayors, etc. opposed it. Did anyone ever sue them?

I'm honestly curious.
Old 01-31-17, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would imagine abiding by laws on the books would be part of their hiring stipulations as a public office employee.
Did you see when Sessions asked Yates about just that?
Old 01-31-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The federal government already has ways to get states to comply with federal law. I don't see what purpose this serves.
Old 01-31-17, 02:32 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Citizens have a right? You mean...legal citizens of that country. You can't just waltz into a country and claim you have a right to be there.

How do you know that if illegals are undocumented. You make no sense. You're saying that people with Visas...who are documented...somehow represent the problem of illegals in this country who are not documented.
Jason was talking about real citizens who have a right to be in the country, not everyone who claims to be citizens.

In part 2, there are a lot of people who came here legally on a visa, then became illegal when they overstayed their visas (almost every visa that I know of has an expiration date). And there are more of those people than people who came here with no visa at all from Day One. The wall will do nothing to fix that problem because they came here legally first then became illegal later.
Old 01-31-17, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Use your context clues, buddy. Obviously I wasn't trying to suggest that French citizens have a legal right to be in the U.S. no matter what.
Old 01-31-17, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Use your context clues, buddy. Obviously I wasn't trying to suggest that French citizens have a legal right to be in the U.S. no matter what.
So, why are you vehemently against illegal immigration policies and against people who are not citizens of the US from entering the US for temporary periods of time.

Use my context clues.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.