Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-13-17, 11:32 PM   #20201
DVD Talk Legend

re: The Official Trump Presidency Thread: Tillerson: "Trump's a Moron"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
The costs for actual care would be lowered dramatically by a universal system. For-profit treatment facilities are designed to turn a profit, but the government has no such aim. They don't need to worry about shareholder value or any other profit motive. They could also negotiate with drug companies on a mass scale to greatly reduce drug prices.

The tax increase would likely need to be in the mid and very high end. They could structure it so that incomes of 2+ million pay an additional 10% and anyone with income over 20K pays a flat tax based on the number of exemptions being claimed (so people with kids pay more). This prevents low income people being hit and allows the very wealthy to strongly subsidize the program.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
Health Care for all is a multi-Trillion dollar yearly expense. I would like affordable healthcare also, but not if it's going to raise my taxes $50,000 a year so that everyone can be covered at the current costs.

I don't know what the solution is, but Obamacare wasn't it.
You guys are getting close, but you are still tap dancing around the real heart of the issue. Obamacare and all previous and subsequent conversations were about insurance, not healthcare.

A universal care program would need to be just that: universal care. Universal "who picks up the check" doesn't cut it with the existing system. The entire healthcare system needs to be overhauled: not just how we pay for it, but the types/levels of care, how we approve procedures/drugs, the marketing of those, and so on all the way down to how students attend and pay for medical medical school.

Yeah, it gets into some dangerous waters but sometimes we need to look at the question we are asking, not the answer we are seeking. We need to have the courage to accept that capitalism is not always the best answer.
Old 09-13-17, 11:38 PM   #20202
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Is it just me, or do you think Trump is making nice with the Dems so that come impeachment time some of them are in his corner?
No, he was always like this as he was never an ideologue. The Republican Congress couldn't pass Repeal and Replace and who knows if they can pass Tax Reform, so Trump is pulling a Bill Clinton and Triangulating on certain issues with Dems.

I have been saying all along that Democrats would rather have Trump as President then an ideological guy like Pence or Cruz. Do you think Cruz would make a deal with the Dems on the Debt Limit? That guy would take the government down to stand his ground.

You guys can keep calling Trump a crazy man but he will get more things done in a bipartisan fashion then Cruz or Pence would have ever done. Ryan and McConnell screwed Trump on Repeal & Replace (despite running on THAT for 7 years) and now Trump is going to work with Dems to get certain things done.
Old 09-13-17, 11:52 PM   #20203
DVD Talk Legend

So WTF is going on? Deal for DACA or no? Is there a wall or no?
Old 09-13-17, 11:54 PM   #20204
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Never going to agree to that no matter how much Trump passes that I agree with. He has dictatorial leanings, is insane, and can kill us all.

Love seeing him attack Hillary on twitter right after the meeting. Gotta distract the cult
Old 09-13-17, 11:56 PM   #20205
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
So WTF is going on? Deal for DACA or no? Is there a wall or no?
The feeling I got was that the agreed to more funding for general border security and DACA but did not agree to more wall funding. Pelosi or Schumer Threes Companied it and now we have a verbal misunderstanding that hopefully won't affect the DACA deal
Old 09-14-17, 12:06 AM   #20206
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 09-14-17, 12:16 AM   #20207
DVD Talk Reviewer

Crazy Don doing the bipartisan mambo to further a little bit of humanism. Better than a kick in the shin, at least.

My Countdown Counting down to: someone reading my countdown.
1127 days 12 hours 22 minutes
Old 09-14-17, 12:25 AM   #20208
DVD Talk Hero

Trump just can't stop lying, can he? This stuff is so ridiculously easy to disprove. He is just counting on his base not bothering to fact-check his nonsense.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 09-14-17, 12:37 AM   #20209
DVD Talk Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7 View Post
Is it just me, or do you think Trump is making nice with the Dems so that come impeachment time some of them are in his corner?
I don't think he's that forward thinking. Dude just wants to be liked and have lots of wins. He's had nine months of negativiy, so even the tiniest "win" he can take he'll get...doesn't matter which side of the aisle gets him there.

Now Playing: Horizon Zero Dawn | Puzzle Craft 2
Old 09-14-17, 06:58 AM   #20210
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/908155553289039872

Trump just can't stop lying, can he? This stuff is so ridiculously easy to disprove. He is just counting on his base not bothering to fact-check his nonsense.
I clicked the link and it shows China has two tax rates, including 15% for tech companies.
Old 09-14-17, 07:49 AM   #20211
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesbit View Post
Never going to agree to that no matter how much Trump passes that I agree with. He has dictatorial leanings, is insane, and can kill us all.

Just stop that nonsense about the 'Dictator' stuff. He couldn't even get any legislation passed in a Republican Congress, so he is far from a Dictator. Dictator's actually kill their opponents, or lock up anyone who rebels against them. Dictators hold phony elections like Suddam Husseim did when he got 99% of the vote one year. You sound like my idiot Republican Friends when Obama was President and how they thought he was privately a Muslim who sided with the Terrorists and was going to bring the country down. If you disagree with Trump on policy, then that is a debate we can have, but this hyperbole about everything else is just partisan bullshit that both sides do for 4 years when their party is out of power.
Old 09-14-17, 08:02 AM   #20212

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
Just stop that nonsense about the 'Dictator' stuff. He couldn't even get any legislation passed in a Republican Congress, so he is far from a Dictator. Dictator's actually kill their opponents, or lock up anyone who rebels against them. Dictators hold phony elections like Suddam Husseim did when he got 99% of the vote one year. You sound like my idiot Republican Friends when Obama was President and how they thought he was privately a Muslim who sided with the Terrorists and was going to bring the country down. If you disagree with Trump on policy, then that is a debate we can have, but this hyperbole about everything else is just partisan bullshit that both sides do for 4 years when their party is out of power.
Saying someone has dictatorial leanings is not the same as calling him a dictator. Our politician system prevents that. Trump repeatedly called for his political opponents to be jailed (previously with Clinton and most recently with Comey). We will have to see from Mueller if our election was actually legitimate or if vote totals in key locations were electronically changed and if so, at whose request. Being inept doesn't excuse someone from trying to act as an authoritarian ruler.
Old 09-14-17, 08:22 AM   #20213
DVD Talk Legend

No deal!

Unless there was?

"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.
Old 09-14-17, 08:31 AM   #20214
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

how can anyone make a deal with someone who is so unpredictable and who changes his mind within hours?
Old 09-14-17, 08:55 AM   #20215
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
No deal!

Unless there was?

Staggering.

Winner! James Bond 007 Sheep game 8/26/16
Old 09-14-17, 09:24 AM   #20216
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
Saying someone has dictatorial leanings is not the same as calling him a dictator...
Thanks and yeah, all that
Old 09-14-17, 09:27 AM   #20217
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah actually Donald there are tens of millions of people who want to throw them out despite their accomplishments. You know who the people are that want that? Your base. Let's see how they feel about you double crossing them.
Old 09-14-17, 09:41 AM   #20218
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Yeah actually Donald there are tens of millions of people who want to throw them out despite their accomplishments. You know who the people are that want that? Your base. Let's see how they feel about you double crossing them.
Breitbart comments are blowing up in real time right now:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...llegal-aliens/

"We wouldn't have to "regress" so much if it wasn't for that weird period in comics history when EVERYTHING in comics had to be awful and bleak. Characters died, became killers, were crippled and had lots of pouches and belts on their costumes, and we, this generation of creators, represent the undoing of that." - Ethan Van Sciver.

Last edited by stingermck; 09-14-17 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-14-17, 09:44 AM   #20219
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cungar View Post
They'll make some noise, but in the end, they'll support him anyways... at least until Bannon himself declares he's running for president in 2020.
Old 09-14-17, 10:00 AM   #20220
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Breitbart comments are blowing up in real time right now:
Donald J. Obama
Old 09-14-17, 10:05 AM   #20221
DVD Talk Legend

This one is great:

Quote:
i hate to say it, but trump is looking more and more like the swashbuckling snake oil salesman that the libs keeps portraying him as. this is frightening
Way to go dude.
Old 09-14-17, 10:07 AM   #20222
DVD Talk Legend

God I could watch this all day:

Quote:
Trump's new book title - Art of Bending Over...
Quote:
you PROMISED!!!!!!! We need to impeach him!!!!! He has betrayed us
Quote:
MAGA: Making Amnesty Great Again
Quote:
Who do we have to elect to build a wall? David duke?

Last edited by stingermck; 09-14-17 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-14-17, 10:14 AM   #20223
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's some real life "artificial" intelligence there.
Old 09-14-17, 10:19 AM   #20224
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
No deal!

Unless there was?

When I was a teenager, I'd argue with my mom. She'd go on a rant about her opinion about whatever we were disagreeing about, ramping up and getting it all out there. Then she'd stop and think for a few seconds, or minutes, figure out what else she could argue about, then start up again. This series of tweets and their timing really reminds me of that.
Old 09-14-17, 10:30 AM   #20225
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, they united and made Obama a one term president?