Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Official Trump Presidency Thread: Michael Flynn down, who's next?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Official Trump Presidency Thread: Michael Flynn down, who's next?

Old 01-21-17, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

re: The Offical Trump Presidency Thread: Don Jr & Russians

Did anyone else see Bill Clinton lose focus when Ivanka walked down the stairs to her seat? The guy forgot how to clap his hands!
Old 01-21-17, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A person that lies about something so minor can't be trusted to tell the truth about anything.
Old 01-21-17, 08:50 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
Where were the women when Bill Clinton was getting blowjobs in the Oval Office from a teenage intern?

Why do women choose to ignore this?
Old 01-21-17, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

parrotheads4

You go girl!
Old 01-21-17, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
A person that lies about something so minor can't be trusted to tell the truth about anything.
This person is completely obsessed with his popularity and it's a scoreboard to him. Just look at his comments on Arnold and The Apprentice. As President, he's on top and should not have to, but if he can't belittle someone like "Little Marco," he's now resorted to blaming the press. In other words, he's constantly trying to compare himself to someone he deems inferior. He will never grow up.
Old 01-21-17, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, so we're agreed, the worldwide magnitude of today's protest was unprecedented.

So, as much as idiot Trump wants to ignore it, it's gotten so huge, he just can't ignore it. Even if he never talks about it, publicly or even privately, he's insecure enough that it'll keep him up at nights, that he's united so many people that just don't like him will be a massive impediment in his head, because he just wants everyone to like him, even when he's being a dick.
Old 01-21-17, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Where were the women when Bill Clinton was getting blowjobs in the Oval Office from a teenage intern?

Why do women choose to ignore this?
Because Lewinsky was 22?
Old 01-21-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Because Lewinsky was 22?
Right.

That's when it started...
Old 01-21-17, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A GREAT essay on Why Trump’s Inauguration is Not the Beginning of an Era — but the End

[length]

Spoiler:

I did not see Trump coming. I was one of those who could not believe that the America I knew, a country of decent, common-sense people, could elect a person like him. I was despondent on election night and disoriented for weeks. I’ve spent the last couple months listening, reading, thinking, and staying open to what is really happening, and what now needs to be done. On the eve of his inauguration, here’s my positive reframe of what I think is really going on:

Trump Begins The End

Trump is a symptom of something much bigger and more fundamental going on in the world. So are the people behind Brexit in Great Britain. They are not driving the change, they are reacting to the change. They are not showing the way forward, they are making desperate attempts to cling to the past, a past that is gone forever.

The world is in the relatively early stages of an almost inevitable transition to what can be best understood as a new 21st-century civilization. Relatively early — meaning roughly one-third of the way through. And almost inevitable — meaning it can be derailed if we make some catastrophic political choices.

There are three fundamentally different characteristics of this civilization: One, it will be run totally on digital technologies, smarter and smarter, more and more interconnected computers. Two, it will be totally global and operate on a planetary scale. And three, it will have to be sustainable, in its energy usage and its impact on the planet.

All three of these shifts are well underway and can be tracked and explained by pointing to investments, the morphing of the advanced economy, the positioning of leading companies, and just following what innovative people are doing. In many ways, these developments are happening despite what governments do. Governments can make things better, and accelerate changes, or slow down changes, but they can’t stop them at this macro level.

That said, politics can really screw things up. Changes of this magnitude can be very scary. New digital technologies allow totally new ways to do almost everything so they are very disruptive to old industries. The newest developments arriving just now are especially scary — self-driving cars, advanced robots, artificial intelligence. The globalization of everything is unleashing floods of cheap goods as well as waves of migrants.

It’s easy for politicians to whip up public fears against these changes and rally people to go back to the old ways, to make America great again. This is the standard playbook for right-wing nationalism. In the 1930s, when Keynes wrote the prescient passage above, that era’s right wing took those fears and drove a good chunk of the world into fascism and a world war. Today Trump is heading down that path — but he won’t get far.

I think Trump ultimately is going to do America and the world a service by becoming the vehicle that will finally take down right-wing conservative politics for a generation or two. He is getting the entire Republican conservative establishment to buy into his regime. He is creating an administration that is blatantly all about rule by — and for — billionaires, sold out to the oil and carbon industries, and celebrating an out-of-control corporate capitalism. It will be a caricature of conservative policies. In short order he will completely and irrevocably alienate all the growing political constituencies of the 21st century: the Millennial Generation, people of color, educated professionals, women. He’ll eventually do the same for a significant number of more moderate Republicans. And does anyone out there really think Trump will do anything for the white working class that got him elected? Watch as repealing Obamacare blows up in his face.

I think the backlash will be fast and furious. And it won’t just be Trump that goes down — it will be large swaths of conservative Republicans who will be almost helpless to stop Trump or distance themselves from him. They will pay the price for creating the conditions that created him. I think the next 4 to 8 years are going to see a serious sea change in politics — to the left, not the right. The analogy is closer to what happened to the conservative Republicans coming out of the 1930s — they were out of power for the next 50 years.

A Hillary Clinton win would not have brought about that kind of political transformation. She would have ground out some progress through trench warfare and built somewhat on Obama’s legacy— but the Republicans would have locked her down worse than they did with Obama. Hillary would not have been able to finally bring down the conservative movement and its archaic ideology. The conservatives arguably brought a healthy revitalization to Western politics in the Reagan/Thatcher era. But that vitality is long gone and the movement has been running on the same old out-moded ideas for decades now. The world needs to move on.

Hillary would not have been the transformational leader that America needs right now either. We need leadership to help take the world to the next level, making the full transition to digital technologies, reshaping capitalism to rebalance massive inequalities, and making big progress on climate change.

California is the Future

Where do we look for that leadership? Without outsiders taking much notice, California has gone through that political transformation, as usual, early. We were trapped in the polarized politics that paralyzed government in the 1990s and 2000s. We had the high numbers of immigrants who were scapegoated. We had a frustrated electorate elect a Hollywood celebrity with no government experience with Arnold Schwarzenegger. Been there, done that.

Today California is totally run by a new generation of progressive Democrats. Every single state-wide office. Super majorities in both Houses. There are no conservative Republican elected officials to speak of in California right now. The conservative ideology, those policies, are dead.

I’ve long been thumping the idea that California is the future. The San Francisco Bay Area is obviously ground zero for Silicon Valley and tech. It’s about as good a melting pot of global influences as anywhere on the planet. And it’s on the front lip of clean energy and sustainability. So that would be a good place to look for how those three massive 21st-century shifts will play out.

In other words, to use the Keynes framework that started this piece, California is already living in the next economic period — and it’s booming. The next economy is working here — and working for the vast majority. Even the white working class is on board. Trump lost to Hillary in California by 4 million votes.

Now add to that a state and local political environment where progressives have no meaningful opposition and an open field ahead of them. I think we’re going to see an explosion of innovation that roughs out a new way forward for the center-left in America and even has implications for Europe and the world.

My company Reinvent is really fortunate to be in the middle of that swirl of possibilities. We bring together top innovators in deep conversations about how to solve complex challenges — and then make media about the ideas to emerge. We partner with forward-thinking organizations who want to generate new ideas and drive more innovation in a field. We also host What’s Now: San Francisco that each month focuses on the latest developments in one of the many fields exploding in innovation across the region.

Look for innovation to now move into hyper-drive in the realms of government and politics throughout California — and particularly in the San Franicsco Bay Area. I know our company is working on ways to catalyze these kinds of conversations and do our part to reinvent political grand strategy along the lines of what I’ve been laying out here. But there are already many efforts popping up to move this next-generation politics forward.

The Real Beginning is Still Obama

Now it’s possible that this whole analysis I have laid out is wrong. After all, I predicted that Hillary was going to win this last election. (Though who didn’t?) But it’s certainly worth seriously considering a scenario like this. Republicans clapping at Trump’s Inauguration should be very careful about what they wish for. Democrats wringing their hands in anguish should pause too.

Stay open to counter-intuitive, out-of-the-box interpretations. Too few of us did last year. Be ready to make hard choices when unexpected new options open up quickly. We all may be faced with them soon. Brace for the big changes to come. They’re coming.

Most of all, for those who supported President Obama, stay hopeful. I truly believe that the politics and policies that President Obama helped usher in will prevail in the end. In the big-picture view of history, the brief Trump reign will be seen as a difficult but necessary step in the massive transition between one economic period to another.

Obama’s decade of work will be seen, in the decades to come, as the truly enduring foundation. He laid the groundwork for what will certainly become the all-digital, fully global, sustainable civilization of the 21st century.
Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?
Old 01-21-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Right.

That's when it started...
...what? She was 22 when she arrived at the White House.

Last edited by Draven; 01-21-17 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I firmly believe in everyone's right to protest peacefully. My question is, why didn't todays protests happen on this scale before the election? Is it because people just assumed Trump had no chance of winning?
Old 01-21-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Okay, so we're agreed, the worldwide magnitude of today's protest was unprecedented.

So, as much as idiot Trump wants to ignore it, it's gotten so huge, he just can't ignore it. Even if he never talks about it, publicly or even privately, he's insecure enough that it'll keep him up at nights, that he's united so many people that just don't like him will be a massive impediment in his head, because he just wants everyone to like him, even when he's being a dick.
I await his 3AM tweet.
Old 01-21-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 01-21-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obey The D View Post
I firmly believe in everyone's right to protest peacefully. My question is, why didn't todays protests happen on this scale before the election? Is it because people just assumed Trump had no chance of winning?
Yes. We didn't think we had to fight this hard to keep a racist boorish misogynist former reality TV star from becoming the most powerful person on the planet.
Old 01-21-17, 09:21 PM
Admin-Thanos

A GREAT essay on Why Trumpís Inauguration is Not the Beginning of an Era ó but the End

It only works if there is someone on the Dem side to carry the torch. I don't see that as yet. Perhaps that person will crystallize in some fashion in the next 2 years, but that remains to be seen. Unless these words are put into action, it will just be wishful thinking. The left likes to talk a lot and organize protests, but they don't follow through come election season. Perhaps that will change over the next 1-2 years.
Old 01-21-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok. You asked where the women were when Clinton was getting bjs from a teenage intern in the Oval Office. Did you not mean Lewinsky? Who was not a teenager at the time?
Old 01-21-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A GREAT essay on Why Trump’s Inauguration is Not the Beginning of an Era — but the End

Well I read it all and It is a true statement of what California is to the rest of the Country. It seems California is in another realm with a speeding clock which the rest of the Country is always playing catch up.

The old farts at The Villages may say otherwise. They live in a bubble and do not want to be bothered with progressiveness and social welfare. If no one is familiar with this place, it is the old farts utopia of the East, if not the US. And very Pro-Trump.

Last edited by mapasu; 01-21-17 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-21-17, 09:24 PM
Admin-Thanos

Unlikeable Dem candidate and a bullshit surprise FBI investigation of that candidate the week of the election. It was just enough to keep enough people home. That's really it.
Old 01-21-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Unlikeable Dem candidate and a bullshit surprise FBI investigation of that candidate the week of the election. It was just enough to keep enough people home. That's really it.
I'm sure I'm not going to change people's opinions, nor is it my goal, but I think most that disliked Clinton and wouldn't vote for her made up their mind way before the last minute FBI investigation. I will say this, which I assume most will agree with. If Biden had run instead of Clinton he would have won in a landslide.
Old 01-21-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
It only works if there is someone on the Dem side to carry the torch. I don't see that as yet. Perhaps that person will crystallize in some fashion in the next 2 years, but that remains to be seen. Unless these words are put into action, it will just be wishful thinking. The left likes to talk a lot and organize protests, but they don't follow through come election season. Perhaps that will change over the next 1-2 years.
Well, the article was talking in terms of 4 to 8 years, not 2, so it's more feasible than that. People's minds need to change (like they did with gay marriage), and that can happen, but needs more than 2 years.
Old 01-21-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Ok. You asked where the women were when Clinton was getting bjs from a teenage intern in the Oval Office. Did you not mean Lewinsky? Who was not a teenager at the time?
Donald Trump said terrible things about women.

Bill Clinton treated some women terribly.

Today women protested the words of Donald Trump. Where were women when a democrat committed terrible actions against naive girls/women ?

Hypocrisy
Old 01-21-17, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm sure I'm not going to change people's opinions, nor is it my goal, but I think most that disliked Clinton and wouldn't vote for her made up their mind way before the last minute FBI investigation. I will say this, which I assume most will agree with. If Biden had run instead of Clinton he would have won in a landslide.
The Comey letter was a momentum killer, especially for on the edge voters. I do not think the Clinton campaign was dumb enough to not realize that they would lose the rust belt states. That letter came out of nowhere and it was highly destructive.
Old 01-21-17, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the article was talking in terms of 4 to 8 years, not 2, so it's more feasible than that. People's minds need to change (like they did with gay marriage), and that can happen, but needs more than 2 years.
It was a really interesting article and made a lot of sense. Talking in terms of four to eight years does seem like the next standard-bearer might not be on the radar yet. Progressives love Bernie and Warren, but they seem too old to really be the future, and I'm not sure someone like Booker is that guy yet. Maybe it'll be another outsider like a businessman (probably high-tech), but someone with the interest and ability to actually learn and govern, unlike Trump. And, of course, who isn't a morally repugnant human being.
Old 01-21-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Did anyone else see Bill Clinton lose focus when Ivanka walked down the stairs to her seat? The guy forgot how to clap his hands!
Yes! It's great when we can use one person's shitty behavior to excuse another person's shitty behavior!

#notmyfault #hediditfirst
Old 01-21-17, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Donald Trump said terrible things about women.

Bill Clinton treated some women terribly.

Today women protested the words of Donald Trump. Where were women when a democrat committed terrible actions against naive girls/women ?

Hypocrisy
So no admitting you were wrong about Lewinsky's age, huh?

People were protesting all kinds of things today. Donald's remarks about women were just one of those things.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.