Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

The Official Trump Presidency Thread: Michael Flynn down, who's next?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The Official Trump Presidency Thread: Michael Flynn down, who's next?

Old 05-12-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

re: The Offical Trump Presidency Thread: Don Jr & Russians

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
The problem is he'll go batshit crazy and nothing will happen because the Repubs don't want to get rid of him. It doesn't matter how mad people get at town halls - I truly believe most voters just don't care about any of this. And when it comes time to punch the button, they'll hit it for the Repubs or the Dems like they always do.
Well, so far. If he goes crazy enough, or just continues this current insanity, I think even the GOP will have had enough, as it'll just damage them in the long term if they don't do anything about it. Just this week there have been a handful of GOP congressmen who have finally started coming around to no being on the Trump train - if this keeps up, there will only be more.

We're not getting rid of Trump anytime soon - I wouldn't be surprised if he was reelected.
I would be absolutely surprised if he were, that is, unless the Dems get Hillary to run again, or someone equally bad, then I wouldn't be surprised by a Trump win.

Originally Posted by cungar View Post

"Look, he's a showboat. He's a grandstander," Trump said about Comey in an interview with NBC's Lester Holt on Thursday. "The FBI has been in turmoil. You know that. I know that. Everybody knows that."
Yeah, Trump's talking about Comey and NOT himself...
Old 05-12-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I think I figured out what Trump is doing...

President Klinger is trying to get out being president on a section 8 (aka 25th amendment).
I was thinking about this recently.

It would not be the 'honorable' thing to do, but clearly this was an individual that took the bone spur route to avoid serving in a war. If the shit does goes down, it would be very advantageous to start seeding out an "oh, he was clearly losing his faculties at the time, therefore we can't hold him entirely responsible" defense.

There is also another thing that is a strong possibility- that he personally did not collude or coordinate with Russian agents. Just like Mark Cuban conjectured. So what we are witnessing here is honest pique.
The thing is, with his ego, he probably would try to engage in a cover-up if he knew or suspected his associates did because he knows that knowledge out there would forever de-legitimize his election.

It's kind of doubtful to me that actual collusion will be revealed (of Trump himself)- but the longer this goes on, cover up and obstruction become more and more a certainty.

And of course it's necessary to ferret out just who amongst his staff may have compromised themselves too.
Old 05-12-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Comey furious at lack of respect White House showed, sources say
[Good Morning America]
PIERRE THOMAS, JACK DATE and TOM KUTSCH
Good Morning America May 12, 2017

Former FBI Director James Comey was furious at the lack of respect the White House showed him in the way he was fired, sources have told ABC News.

Associates say he is simmering at some of the comments directed at him by White House staffers, who have used words like "atrocities" to describe his actions as director.

One person close to the former director said that President Trump calling Comey a "showboat" and suggesting he is not "competent" has required Comey to show considerable restraint.

"Look, he's a showboat. He's a grandstander," Trump said about Comey in an interview with NBC's Lester Holt on Thursday. "The FBI has been in turmoil. You know that. I know that. Everybody knows that."
Then he should call Trump's lying incompetent ass out. Give an interview. Call him a liar on national tv. Set the record straight. Burn the bush Spicer is standing next to.
Old 05-12-17, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-jr-...-election.html

Poor liddle snowflake Donald Trump Jr. is crying that the deck is stacked against his poor liddle snowflake daddy. You know the deck that includes a Republican Senate, House of Representatives and President.

Trump Jr. urges support for Republican in US House race

EAST HELENA, Mont. (AP) — Donald Trump Jr., the president's son, said political forces — even within the GOP — were working to undermine his father's administration, and he urged voters in Montana to send more Republicans to Washington who can help advance the Trump White House's agenda.

"We need more people in D.C. to help my father," he said during a rally in East Helena, Montana, to stump for a wealthy Republican vying in a May 25 special election to become the state's only representative in the U.S. House. The post became vacant when Ryan Zinke joined President Donald Trump's administration as Interior secretary.

"The deck is really stacked. It's stacked against us — by the way, even from people in our own party — we've all seen that," Trump Jr. said in a red barn converted into an events center.
Old 05-12-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
I'm shocked, it's actually real. Then again, you know what they say about a broken clock.

Definition of laugh up one's sleeve : to be secretly happy about or amused by something (such as someone else's trouble)
The mayor's critics were laughing up their sleeves when news of the scandal was first reported.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...#39;s%20sleeve
So now a victory for Trump is using a colloquial phrase correctly?

Such an asshole, thinking that because he says it, it will be true. Well, I guess 40% of the country will think it's true.

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I would be absolutely surprised if he were, that is, unless the Dems get Hillary to run again, or someone equally bad, then I wouldn't be surprised by a Trump win.
Sadly, nothing would surprise me anymore.

Old 05-12-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The latest on Trump's stupidity.

You know you have something to hide when you don't release your tax returns to an investigation.

He's like that kid who insists that he did his homework, but refuses to show you his homework.
Old 05-12-17, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Which entities are "controlled by Trump"? Hasn't he supposedly handed over control of all of his businesses?
Old 05-12-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Trump threatens to cancel White House briefings because it is ‘not possible’ for his staff to speak with ‘perfect accuracy’

This is normal, right?
Old 05-12-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I still maintain that Hillary wasn't in any way comparable to how "bad" Trump is. We wouldn't have anything like the worldwide protests, the undermining of institutions, the chaotic White House or the war with the press.

If anything, I think she would have been a boring but serviceable President.

Rather than paint the new house dark beige instead of light beige, Trump voters decided to burn it down instead. Apparently all that matters is the R or the D, and the R will put Trump back into the White House.

I hope I'm wrong. But I lost a lot of that hope when Trump was sworn in. And since that happened, it's apparent that people really have lost their minds and logic won't win out any time soon.

Since Trump has effectively turned the media into "the enemy", then his supporters won't care that his policies can no longer be questioned. They already think he's questioned too much.
Old 05-12-17, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I still maintain that Hillary wasn't in any way comparable to how "bad" Trump is. We wouldn't have anything like the worldwide protests, the undermining of institutions, the chaotic White House or the war with the press.

If anything, I think she would have been a boring but serviceable President.
I wasn't saying she'd be a terrible president, just a terrible candidate. Our own forum had a dedicated thread to her chicanery, while Trump pulled 10 far worse shenanigans for every one Clinton impropriety, which mostly turned out to be nothing. 30 years of smear tactics have more than caught up to her, whereas Trump's Apprentice made him seem like a smart capable guy in the eyes of his supporters. All of it being media trickery.
Old 05-12-17, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I wasn't saying she'd be a terrible president, just a terrible candidate. Our own forum had a dedicated thread to her chicanery, while Trump pulled 10 far worse shenanigans for every one Clinton impropriety, which mostly turned out to be nothing. 30 years of smear tactics have more than caught up to her, whereas Trump's Apprentice made him seem like a smart capable guy in the eyes of his supporters. All of it being media trickery.
Got it - yes, I agree with that. Considering that Hillary basically had emails and Benghazi (with a sprinkling of her health) as her only negatives throughout her campaign, while Trump did everything from mocking a disabled reporter to attacking a Gold Star family to bragging about sexual assault and people just went "but her emails", we were far from reality throughout.
Old 05-12-17, 11:30 AM

I have a very serious question. While Trump is going on a morning long Twitter rant and endlessly watching ALL the cable news shows. Who's ACTUALLY running the country? Bannon? Pence? Kushner? Ivanka? Fox News? ANYONE?
Old 05-12-17, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
So now a victory for Trump is using a colloquial phrase correctly?
It's easier to win when the bar is set low.
Old 05-12-17, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
I was thinking about this recently.

It would not be the 'honorable' thing to do, but clearly this was an individual that took the bone spur route to avoid serving in a war. If the shit does goes down, it would be very advantageous to start seeding out an "oh, he was clearly losing his faculties at the time, therefore we can't hold him entirely responsible" defense.

There is also another thing that is a strong possibility- that he personally did not collude or coordinate with Russian agents. Just like Mark Cuban conjectured. So what we are witnessing here is honest pique.
The thing is, with his ego, he probably would try to engage in a cover-up if he knew or suspected his associates did because he knows that knowledge out there would forever de-legitimize his election.

It's kind of doubtful to me that actual collusion will be revealed (of Trump himself)- but the longer this goes on, cover up and obstruction become more and more a certainty.

And of course it's necessary to ferret out just who amongst his staff may have compromised themselves too.

I think it would be funny in an ironic way, if Trump's collusion with Russia is actually fake news and it is THAT fake news that takes him down. A "live by the sword, die by the sword" type of thing.
Old 05-12-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I for one would like that tape with the hookers to be real just to make the religious people who voted for him squirm.
Old 05-12-17, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I for one would like that tape with the hookers to be real just to make the religious people who voted for him squirm.
They wouldn't care. Just locker room behavior.
Old 05-12-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Melissa McCarthy is riding a podium around NYC for new bit.

Welcome to CNN, 'Sean Spicer'

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/12/medi...hy-spicer-cnn/
Old 05-12-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tabletopjoe View Post
I have a very serious question. While Trump is going on a morning long Twitter rant and endlessly watching ALL the cable news shows. Who's ACTUALLY running the country? Bannon? Pence? Kushner? Ivanka? Fox News? ANYONE?
I read that his schedule has been pretty much cleared. I'm assuming there's nothing that needs his attention. Check that - nothing that anyone wants his opinion on and his staff is just handling everything.

I'm honestly surprised he's not at Mar-a-Lago.

Yep. They already revealed that hypocrisy.
Old 05-12-17, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Melissa McCarthy is riding a podium around NYC for new bit.

Welcome to CNN, 'Sean Spicer'

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/12/medi...hy-spicer-cnn/
She's promoting her SNL appearance. I may stay up and watch SNL for the first time in a decade.
Old 05-12-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

cungar is correct. They wouldn't care. It all comes down to... there may be another shoe to drop but Hillary is still Hillary.
Old 05-12-17, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Trump himself is/was smart enough to assist the Ruskies.

I do think some of the people around him were smart enough. Or perhaps naive enough to have either purposely or "indirectly" helped the Ruskies.

I also think Trump is dum enough (or to give the benefit of the doubt) use to working in the "tit for tat" (no pun intended) high level business world that he could have unknowingly assisted the Ruskies.

And to be clear, and fair, I still think we have a ways to go to have evidence of a collusion by anyone in the US side.

I also hope there is no evidence. I mean I hate Trump and all this clan. But do we really, really want a sitting POTUS or other high level official brought up on treason?
Old 05-12-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The stuff I can imagine that Hillary would be up to right now is so much worse!!!
Old 05-12-17, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
I also hope there is no evidence. I mean I hate Trump and all this clan. But do we really, really want a sitting POTUS or other high level official brought up on treason?
Counterpoint: do we really want a sitting POTUS who's dumb enough to allow himself to be manipulated by the Russians, but didn't technically do anything impeachable?
Old 05-12-17, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^^Agreed. I'd prefer no collusion, no pee-pee tape, etc.
Old 05-12-17, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Counterpoint: do we really want a sitting POTUS who's dumb enough to allow himself to be manipulated by the Russians, but didn't technically do anything impeachable?
Nobody wants that, but we're stuck with it at the moment.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.